Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 05:33:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 [339] 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 02:22:09 PM

Excellent post, TeeGee.

"DYNA is doing a great job repeating a very consistent message for old and new stakeholders alike; a global digital currency is necessary, and DNotes is that currency."

This is not just our theme. This is our core mission and a generational commitment.

I am still actively drafting and refining DCFBrief - Purpose and mission. Here is a sneak peek:

There are clearly massive economic inequalities on a worldwide scale. The opportunity to facilitate global collaboration to assist the unbanked as a means to help alleviate poverty, as well as to encourage women business empowerment and more are now within our reach. The technologies are already at our disposal …………………..

Most people may not realize that we are witnessing the greatest technology revolution in the history of mankind as a result of the creation of Bitcoin and the Blockchain in 2009. Imagine our world with a digital currency accepted by everyone worldwide. This immensely innovative decentralized distributed consensus technology enables one Internet user to pay US$1, or any amount, to another Internet user anywhere worldwide as conveniently as one would pull out a dollar bill to pay for a can of soda at a local convenient store. The value of the $1 or that 1 DNotes is exactly the same any where globally. Imagine the limitless possibilities …………………..

Very excited to get this site going. There is huge potential for the amount of people we can meaningfully reach.

Holding strong on Cryptsy at 45815.

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 05:04:11 PM

This article is a little different spin on the DNotes Educational Guide press release, but very good:

DNotes Launches Cryptocurrency Educational Guide

With projects further down the line with similar goals of attracting all kinds of people to DNotes, DNotes is a strong contender when looking for long-term altcoin options.

“DNotes is a shared stake concept, placing a large percentage of the coins in the hands of many, increasing personal stake and personal interest in the coin in promoting the long-term value of the currency. A rapid acceptance by a very large number of individuals and groups generating the most liquidity and high transactional value is our goal.”

DNotesDNotes latest project takes a different spin than CRISP’s in that instead of focusing on a new outlet in which cryptocurrency and be used; it raises awareness of cryptocurrency for people who are unaware.

DNotes new project comes in the form of an educational guide. Aimed for people who have little to no technical background, DNotes goal is to level the playing field and remove the perception that digital currencies are only for the technically inclined.

“There have been very few times in history when everyday people have had the chance to take part in the early stages of such revolutionary developments. It is important to learn about this early so you can make informed decisions about investing in this space as well as giving you an edge in your career as more and more recruiters are seeking digital currency expertise.”

The guide has all sorts of tools such as a user-friendly interface, thorough how-to guides, helpful definitions, links to relevant information, a quiz to test yourself on your knowledge, and the guide is continually updated to remain current.

“The need to educate will never disappear, but if ignored, the knowledge gap between innovators and everyday people may grow so large, that it will never be bridged.”

http://moneyandtech.com/altcoin-platform-launches-educational-guide-cryptocurrency/

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 06:07:27 PM

This article is a little different spin on the DNotes Educational Guide press release, but very good:

With projects further down the line with similar goals of attracting all kinds of people to DNotes, DNotes is a strong contender when looking for long-term altcoin options.

“DNotes is a shared stake concept, placing a large percentage of the coins in the hands of many, increasing personal stake and personal interest in the coin in promoting the long-term value of the currency. A rapid acceptance by a very large number of individuals and groups generating the most liquidity and high transactional value is our goal.”

DNotesDNotes latest project takes a different spin than CRISP’s in that instead of focusing on a new outlet in which cryptocurrency and be used; it raises awareness of cryptocurrency for people who are unaware.

DNotes new project comes in the form of an educational guide. Aimed for people who have little to no technical background, DNotes goal is to level the playing field and remove the perception that digital currencies are only for the technically inclined.

“There have been very few times in history when everyday people have had the chance to take part in the early stages of such revolutionary developments. It is important to learn about this early so you can make informed decisions about investing in this space as well as giving you an edge in your career as more and more recruiters are seeking digital currency expertise.”

The guide has all sorts of tools such as a user-friendly interface, thorough how-to guides, helpful definitions, links to relevant information, a quiz to test yourself on your knowledge, and the guide is continually updated to remain current.

“The need to educate will never disappear, but if ignored, the knowledge gap between innovators and everyday people may grow so large, that it will never be bridged.”

http://moneyandtech.com/altcoin-platform-launches-educational-guide-cryptocurrency/

The tool is an excellent example of how the DNotes team is solving problems. When I say team, it is everybody who actively got involved to work towards a common goal, not just me and Alan. Whether that is contributing on the forum to help shape the future of DNotes, to those who have accepted official roles and responsibilities, and those who have taken the initiative to create tools and site to help. You are all part of our team and we sincerely appreciate your involvement.

I just looked at the latest version of the application again. One can quickly learn the best practices and help avoid the pain making mistakes when first getting involved in digital currency. It has a very sleek and intuitive design, which makes it easy and fun to use. I've said it before, but great job on the app!

CryptoBroker79

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 07:36:11 PM

The tool is an excellent example of how the DNotes team is solving problems. When I say team, it is everybody who actively got involved to work towards a common goal, not just me and Alan. Whether that is contributing on the forum to help shape the future of DNotes, to those who have accepted official roles and responsibilities, and those who have taken the initiative to create tools and site to help. You are all part of our team and we sincerely appreciate your involvement.

I just looked at the latest version of the application again. One can quickly learn the best practices and help avoid the pain making mistakes when first getting involved in digital currency. It has a very sleek and intuitive design, which makes it easy and fun to use. I've said it before, but great job on the app!

I appreciate the positive feedback. I'm sure everyone involved with DNotes would agree that being able to work with such a talented core team is perhaps the greatest learning experience available.

If there are any suggestions for new features you would like to add, please email or message me. I'd like to include a frequently asked questions section with questions written by inexperienced DNotes community members, and answered by some of our seasoned pros. What does everyone think about this?
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:16:58 PM

I appreciate the positive feedback. I'm sure everyone involved with DNotes would agree that being able to work with such a talented core team is perhaps the greatest learning experience available.

If there are any suggestions for new features you would like to add, please email or message me. I'd like to include a frequently asked questions section with questions written by inexperienced DNotes community members, and answered by some of our seasoned pros. What does everyone think about this?

Excellent job, CryptoBroker79. You and your team have done a amazing job. DNotes is much more than another digital currency. CoinTelegraph characterized DNotes as the currency with a purpose. I thought that was pretty good. When I was drafting the "Purpose and Mission" statement for DCEBrief another idea crossed my mind; may be we are creating a grass root movement to help preserve some of the financial earnings of the working class. Fiat currency has served us well but also becoming an increasingly heavy burden for each subsequent generation. We are committed to make DNotes a worthy alternative for people who feel that it is appropriate to diversify a small percentage of their savings to include a high risk/high returns digital currency component, such as DNotes.

Since digital currency is a new asset class, it is of vital importance for people to have a comfortable understanding of this new concept. DNotes Educational Guide is our first endeavor to provide that knowledge and it will be followed by DCEBrief soon. Both projects are of significant commitments of time and other resources, but that is how DNotes will be differentiated.
CryptoBroker79

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 04:31:25 AM

Excellent job, CryptoBroker79. You and your team have done a amazing job. DNotes is much more than another digital currency. CoinTelegraph characterized DNotes as the currency with a purpose. I thought that was pretty good. When I was drafting the "Purpose and Mission" statement for DCEBrief another idea crossed my mind; may be we are creating a grass root movement to help preserve some of the financial earnings of the working class. Fiat currency has served us well but also becoming an increasingly heavy burden for each subsequent generation. We are committed to make DNotes a worthy alternative for people who feel that it is appropriate to diversify a small percentage of their savings to include a high risk/high returns digital currency component, such as DNotes.

Since digital currency is a new asset class, it is of vital importance for people to have a comfortable understanding of this new concept. DNotes Educational Guide is our first endeavor to provide that knowledge and it will be followed by DCEBrief soon. Both projects are of significant commitments of time and other resources, but that is how DNotes will be differentiated.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the launch of DCEBrief and reading some of the great content everyone is contributing.
CryptoBroker79

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 04:31:59 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2015, 03:03:33 PM by CryptoBroker79

Brazil is starting to look like a promising place for any digital currency that's able to change the public perception. Effective education resources such as CryptoMoms, DNotes Educational Guide and DCEBrief are sure to be the key. If we are going to be a global currency,  is it time to start providing translations for these resources?

Bitcoin Adoption Growing in Brazil Despite Poor Perception, Real Inflation Rate Hits 9.6%
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/21542/bitcoin-adoption-growing-brazil-despite-poor-perception-real-inflation-rate-hits-9-6/

"Is the high inflation rate of 9.6 percent the reason people are turning to Bitcoin in Brazil?

The simple answer is no.

Recent statistics and infographics published by global bitcoin payment processor BitPay revealed that the volume of bitcoin transactions in Latin America has increased by 120 percent, and almost doubled in quarterly transactions. Many analysts suspected that the high inflation rate and unstable economy of Argentina and Brazil have caused a surge of growth in Latin America’s bitcoin industry.

While this may be true for Argentina, a country where the majority of the population is willing to pay 20 percent above international rates to obtain U.S. dollars and suffer from annual inflation rate which currently stands at 28.2 percent, the increase of inflation rate and bitcoin growth in Brazil is entirely coincidental, says Daniel Novy, the founder of Brazil’s largest bitcoin exchange, BaseBit.

“When inflation is high, everyone buys government bonds,” Novy told Bitcoin Magazine. “They are offering about 14 percent a year. It’s a very good deal comparable to the most profitable hedge funds you can find in America. It doesn’t make much sense to use bitcoin to protect yourself against a 9.6 percent inflation per year when the bitcoin volatility is about 50-plus percent per year. I mean, you don’t use a more volatile asset to protect yourself against a less volatile one. And having the option to protect yourself using government bonds, which offers a premium over the inflation, makes the use of bitcoin less attractive yet.”

Many industry analysts began to suspect that the growth of Bitcoin and the surge of bitcoin transactions in Brazil is caused by the country’s 12-year high inflation rate, which currently stands at 9.56 percent."
Mochilles

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:03:20 PM

Cryptsy added a bunch of new coins! None of them were in the Top 30 voting list however, while one has a daily volume of $180, and another of $90. So, y'know...  #logic
TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 12:13:28 PM

Cryptsy added a bunch of new coins! None of them were in the Top 30 voting list however, while one has a daily volume of $180, and another of $90. So, y'know...  #logic

I have no words...

Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 01:05:25 PM

I have no words...

We have done our part. The ball is in their court. DNotes stakeholders and Cryptsy customers could politely write and make mention of their new additions and ask if DNotes is scheduled to be included in their next batch of new listings. We are not privileged to their process and selection criteria. Perhaps a little patience is in order for now.
matatyau-cohen

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 01:35:49 PM

China reduced it's currency rate by 2%. the aim: to control and promote growth. this move puts fire on the global nations currencies, and further currencies struggle is now expected

I totaly agree with you. as for DNOTES, that was exactly what pull me into this amazing journey: the social attitude which reflected from the lines of Allan, at the first time I read him. I think that this attitude is the deep identity of digital currencies in general, and DNOTES see this better than others. that is why DNOTES progress is more significant, and I guess that is why DNOTES win being 1st on CRYPTSY vote as well. as a matter of fact, I would be happy if DNOTES would take additional social significant step on the future, for example a community step toward AFRICA and the huge poverty AFRICA experienced on the old national currency system. thanks for this conversation

The hesitation of the majority to deal with digital currency is totaly understandable. this is the normal behavior of the majority. in any revolution, the pioneers come first, while the majority is hesitating, and only after a breakthrough - a great mass of people join the new trip. but their step is only the last step, it is never the first one. these people wouldn't invent any change in our life. if the world would be depended on their leadership, there is no doubt  that smartphones, internet, social pages, digital coins ect', wouldn't ever happend in reality - if these majority would have the chance to lead the world.
now, a real change is when the difference between the old and the new is sharp and clear - as almost a picture. I don't think that any of pioneers would bother themselves to invent something that is only improving the old item. and even if they would, the improvement of such thing would never reach so deep surprise as the appearance of bitcoin has recieved. only something that is shine because it's so innovative and so different in thought from the old ---can get so many exclamations.
the insight behind the DC is that money is nothing, there isn't any real value in money apart of the social consensus and consent to give it value. this sentence can raise many fears among the majority because it can break their life. but once they accept this, they will be prepared to accept the digital currency, with it's new rules and institutions

Hello Kanus, My view regarding the relations between the national currencies and the digital currencies is not as yours. I think that the digital currencies -and sure the first one-the bitcoin - deliverd with no central bank, no interest, no additional printing, no culture, no borders and so on. this way of delivery expresses clearly an opposition or alternative - at least in mind - to the old national currencies. sure that this is only expression of mind, because the new money can't replace the old one yet: the 2 main currencies have together 110 million coins which is less than USA spend (guess) for annually office supplies. my view is that when the time comes to arrange the field of digital currencies in institutional means (my offer for this aim was the creation of EGE - global monetary DG association) - than the mind expression will be shown as a reality to be placed along the coming decades

Here are some more dcebrief concepts, there is some overlap with previous ideas.

Digital currency is not anti-government, nor is it anarchist by nature. In fact, by design it is very well aligned with the principles of the United States founding fathers and I would venture to say the majority of the today's world population. "The highest level of prosperity occurs when there is a free-market economy and a minimum of government regulations."  - Quoted from the 28 Fundamental Principles of the Founding Fathers

Digital currency has a predetermined issuance rate that is easy to understand and 100% transparent. Unlike issuance of fiat currency, the process is often convoluted and highly manipulated, and you practically need a degree in economics to tie everything together and truly understand what is going on (smoke and shadows).

As we progress as a civilization, our economic future should be getting better, but it is getting worse. I won't say digital currency is the answer to everything, but it can level the playing field a bit.

Expanding on the idea of what digital currency is backed by from my point of view... Digital currency is backed by computational power, electricity, and time (through a predetermined issuance rate using a regulatory algorithm).

Hi Mati, i respect the challenge. Governments job is to govern, regulate, protect, create laws and enforce them. Government issued, or arguably government regulated, currency came about out of necessity, because money issuance couldn't regulate itself. Now it can, making it only necessary for government to find ways to protect people against other people instead of controlling money. In that view, you can be pro digital currency and also pro government and regulation. I think some people's hesitation towards digital currency is that it makes you anti-government or anarchist, and I was trying to address that by demonstrating you don't have to be anti-government to be pro digital currency.

Government protecting its nations economy is another story. Does it need to in a world where digital currency is globally accepted and fiat is not needed? If so, how would that be accomplished?

The process of change involving an individual, group, state, nation, or the world for this matter takes time. There is always “hesitation of the majority” at the early stage, as you correctly pointed out. Mati.

In the case of Digital Currency, it started with the creator, Satoshi Nakamoto in 2009 with the support of a few close to him who found his concept of distributed consensus ledger to create e-cash interesting and of some value. We are still at the early adoption stage. DNotes is committed to help shape the currency side of this amazing technology revolution we believe will provide viable solutions in confronting various global challenges we are facing today. There is massive economic inequality on a worldwide scale. A truly trusted global digital with mass acceptance is the best tool available and will go a long way in providing better social economic inclusion and opportunities for all. DCEBrief will help bring forth clarify on issues that matter

Thank you Mati, glad to have you. As we strengthen, we may be able to work with organizations like the HIPC to address issues facing countries in economic distress.

There are some interesting concepts being put forward here. I think that advertising the opportunities digital currency brings to business and government, and stating how complementary it can be to the powers that be would be the best strategy. I've never thought of digital currency as something that anarchists would like, it is just a decentralized model in which nobody has any power over any other player (true equality), which anarchists (the free-market types) have a natural propensity to be drawn to. At this stage, everybody is beginning to see the advantages of digital currency beyond reducing government / banking influence over our money (which should be non-negotiable - we don't need economic hitmen any longer). I don't know what the future of 'government' will look like, despite how much I enjoy philosophising about it, but at the end of the day that conversation will not move DNotes forward. Only promoting the strengths and opportunities that a global digital currency presents for people who partake in all lines of work will benefit DNotes' cause. Over the next while, it will be our job to get DNotes reputation and appeal to that 'tipping point' when everybody decides they wish to begin using this new global currency of the future.

DYNA is doing a great job repeating a very consistent message for old and new stakeholders alike; a global digital currency is necessary, and DNotes is that currency. I also like what Kanus said about digital currency being 100% transparent, and unlike fiat, doesn't require fancy (rubbish) economics degrees to follow and understand (which they still don't). Essentially, we should be painting and creating digital currency as 'easy to understand money', that renders a lot of modern economics obsolete - allowing a new testable environment, and theories of stability to emerge.

And Mati, I think a global currency will do A LOT to help people living in impoverished countries, especially if CRISP for Charity is set up in an investment manner that earns a return until 1 DNote is enough to buy something of value in those countries. Hypothetically, I'm thinking that when the price of DNotes is low (like right now), everybody throws whatever they feel comfortable into a CRISP for Charity. DNotes then partners up with a mobile carrier to organize and run a "turn in your old smartphone for digital currency credit against your phone bill" or something (I mean, this is years away, and hypothetical). The phones are then distributed, loaded with wallets and 1 DNote. By this time, DNotes will be worth many times what it is now, and so depending on how much this rise is, the new default transaction volume will be either:

(1 DNote = 1 DNote)
1 CNote = 0.01 DNote (Centi-Note)
1 MNote = 0.001 DNote (MilliNote)
1 μNote = 0.000001 Dnotes (MicroNote)      

So while what is today 1 DNote will be put into their wallet, and that 1 DNote will buy perhaps a singular sweet at a convenience store, within 5 years, that 1 DNote will be broken up into say, Milli-Notes, and each Milli-Note will make it possible for African citizens to purchase and trade for items like bread.

The value of this currency would be set world-wide, so regardless of African nations' local economic struggles, debt problems etc, their citizens will still have this currency to trade with one another - the fact that they can sell it at an exchange for their local currency gives it tradable value. It may not be entirely necessary to wait until DNotes are worth lots to send them over to African communities however, all that is required is the hope that the DNotes stay in African communities for the long term while the they rise in value. It would be like African communities experience 'deflation' for the first time in their lives. If they began trading DNotes with one another today for loaves of bread, in 5 years time, they may need to only trade a fraction of that DNote for the same loaf of bread in the future.

The vague hypothetical would require much more work and thought than that, but that is sort of how I best see a global currency serving African communities in the immediate / shorter term.

I'll post to any replies in a couple days, few deadlines coming up.

Thank you TeeGee for another excellent post.

Agreed on all points, but the concept that digital currency is an "easy to understand money" resonates with me. It sounds like a great topic for the DCEBrief.

The issue of it being easier to deal with whole numbers, rather than fractions, has crossed my mind frequently. Your post reminded me of that. People do seem to be adapting to bitcoin having a high value and dealing with fractions of a bitcoin, as in dealing in satoshi's rather than whole bitcoins. What does everyone think? Is dealing in fractions/satoshi something people will acclimate to fairly easily? Or do we need to look for alternate solutions?
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 02:28:11 PM

I have no words...

We have done our part. The ball is in their court. DNotes stakeholders and Cryptsy customers could politely write and make mention of their new additions and ask if DNotes is scheduled to be included in their next batch of new listings. We are not privileged to their process and selection criteria. Perhaps a little patience is in order for now.

Agreed, it still may take some time to get listed. It is good news that they have added new coins. We could very well be on the list for future additions. I still encourage everyone to politely ask if they will add DNotes.

RJF

Activity: 616

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 02:29:04 PM

I have no words...

Agreed. We don't know how long those projects have been hammering Cryptsy to add them nor do we have access to the selection criteria. Nothing has changed, please continue to support DNotes on Cryptsy as aggressively as you have been and never, never give up the ship!

Current standings, top 3 coins:

NOTE   DNOTES   14AGjtup6T6k4kB1bmbMUVmePNUXEYuqmQ   45839   

LIMX   LimeCoinX   1N58JVTQmX1UMHai8Xd9XXQeZ1gxeqevwS   43047   

POP   PopularCoin   1Li2iUzhU2jycQjiDqZA7zoxoJRHnYbKNd           42549   

That's not really a big margin, I would like to see DNotes remain in the top #1 position to keep us in the eye of Cryptsy. Adding other coins only makes getting DNotes listed a bigger and, more important challenge. Please continue to add votes when and how you can!

Thank you...

PS: Keep sending email, be nice, offer logical arguments why DNotes should be added but, keep sending!  If you are a Cryptsy customer, please mention it in your email.

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 02:53:09 PM

Brazil is starting to look like a promising place for any digital currency that's able to change the public perception. Effective education resources such as CryptoMoms, DNotes Educational Guide and DCEBrief are sure to be the key. If we are going to be a global currency,  is it time to start providing translations for these resources?

Bitcoin Adoption Growing in Brazil Despite Poor Perception, Real Inflation Rate Hits 9.6%

"Is the high inflation rate of 9.6 percent the reason people are turning to Bitcoin in Brazil?

The simple answer is no.

Recent statistics and infographics published by global bitcoin payment processor BitPay revealed that the volume of bitcoin transactions in Latin America has increased by 120 percent, and almost doubled in quarterly transactions. Many analysts suspected that the high inflation rate and unstable economy of Argentina and Brazil have caused a surge of growth in Latin America’s bitcoin industry.

While this may be true for Argentina, a country where the majority of the population is willing to pay 20 percent above international rates to obtain U.S. dollars and suffer from annual inflation rate which currently stands at 28.2 percent, the increase of inflation rate and bitcoin growth in Brazil is entirely coincidental, says Daniel Novy, the founder of Brazil’s largest bitcoin exchange, BaseBit.

“When inflation is high, everyone buys government bonds,” Novy told Bitcoin Magazine. “They are offering about 14 percent a year. It’s a very good deal comparable to the most profitable hedge funds you can find in America. It doesn’t make much sense to use bitcoin to protect yourself against a 9.6 percent inflation per year when the bitcoin volatility is about 50-plus percent per year. I mean, you don’t use a more volatile asset to protect yourself against a less volatile one. And having the option to protect yourself using government bonds, which offers a premium over the inflation, makes the use of bitcoin less attractive yet.”

Many industry analysts began to suspect that the growth of Bitcoin and the surge of bitcoin transactions in Brazil is caused by the country’s 12-year high inflation rate, which currently stands at 9.56 percent."

To really make an impact in other languages, it may take a full time translation staff. We do have resources available, such as infovortice's Spanish DNotes blog, and some translations of the site.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 05:12:00 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2015, 06:27:56 PM by DNotes

This article caught my attention. A company selling tech for coins saved $17,000 in fees last year alone by accepting digital currency for payment. That is an outstanding figure, for that cost savings you could hire another employee, or imagine what that amount could do for your marketing campaign.

Should Small Businesses Bet on Bitcoin?

Imagine stepping into a cafe where you're worried they don't take credit cards. But while you're painstakingly counting out your dollars, the cashier says: "We take cash, cards and bitcoin."

That's what's happening every day at Pittsburgh ice cream parlor Oh Yeah! And the small eatery isn't the only place offering an expanded range of payment options to its customers.

Why Investors Should Beware of Bitcoin

Bitcoin, created in 2009, is a form of digital currency that can be exchanged via an electronic device like a smartphone. According to bitcoin payment processor BitPay, more than 100,000 businesses globally have opted to accept bitcoin as a payment method, and many of them are small businesses.

The most important characteristic of bitcoin, making it different from conventional currency, is that it's decentralized – no one authority controls the money network. Users can store, spend and receive bitcoins by using virtual bitcoin "wallets," offered through services like BitPay or Coinbase. These wallets help convert dollars, euros, or other currencies into bitcoins.

Users can get bitcoins from a bitcoin exchange – a platform similar to a stock market where bitcoins can be bought with conventional currencies. People can also receive bitcoins directly from other bitcoin users.

Getting rid of middlemen and higher fees can spur small businesses to jump into the bitcoin community. Unlike big companies, mom-and-pop stores often don't have the negotiating power to bargain on the fees they're charged when accepting credit card payments, said Bruce Fenton, executive director of the Bitcoin Foundation, a Washington-based nonprofit that focuses on bitcoin advocacy and education.

"Now with an electronic device, you can make payments easily with low or even zero transaction fees," Fenton said.

Lee Marburg, founder of CoinsForTech – an Australia-based, bitcoin-only online electronics store that ships to more than 60 countries – said his operation saved $17,000 in fees alone last year. "We processed over $500,000 in transactions and paid nothing in processing cost," he said.

Source: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/08/11/should-small-businesses-bet-on-bitcoin

kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:44:05 PM

I have no words...

Agreed. We don't know how long those projects have been hammering Cryptsy to add them nor do we have access to the selection criteria. Nothing has changed, please continue to support DNotes on Cryptsy as aggressively as you have been and never, never give up the ship!

Current standings, top 3 coins:

NOTE   DNOTES   14AGjtup6T6k4kB1bmbMUVmePNUXEYuqmQ   45839   

LIMX   LimeCoinX   1N58JVTQmX1UMHai8Xd9XXQeZ1gxeqevwS   43047   

POP   PopularCoin   1Li2iUzhU2jycQjiDqZA7zoxoJRHnYbKNd           42549   

That's not really a big margin, I would like to see DNotes remain in the top #1 position to keep us in the eye of Cryptsy. Adding other coins only makes getting DNotes listed a bigger and, more important challenge. Please continue to add votes when and how you can!

Thank you...

PS: Keep sending email, be nice, offer logical arguments why DNotes should be added but, keep sending!  If you are a Cryptsy customer, please mention it in your email.

Always liked the Cryptsy exchange, but haven't really used them since my cryptocurrency investment is primarily in DNotes now. Hope they add DNotes soon. I will send another request end of the week.
kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:45:07 PM

This article caught my attention. A company selling tech for coins saved $17,000 in fees last year alone by accepting digital currency for payment. That is an outstanding figure, for that cost savings you could hire another employee, or imagine what that amount could do for your marketing campaign.

Should Small Businesses Bet on Bitcoin?

Imagine stepping into a cafe where you're worried they don't take credit cards. But while you're painstakingly counting out your dollars, the cashier says: "We take cash, cards and bitcoin."

That's what's happening every day at Pittsburgh ice cream parlor Oh Yeah! And the small eatery isn't the only place offering an expanded range of payment options to its customers.

Why Investors Should Beware of Bitcoin

Bitcoin, created in 2009, is a form of digital currency that can be exchanged via an electronic device like a smartphone. According to bitcoin payment processor BitPay, more than 100,000 businesses globally have opted to accept bitcoin as a payment method, and many of them are small businesses.

The most important characteristic of bitcoin, making it different from conventional currency, is that it's decentralized – no one authority controls the money network. Users can store, spend and receive bitcoins by using virtual bitcoin "wallets," offered through services like BitPay or Coinbase. These wallets help convert dollars, euros, or other currencies into bitcoins.

Users can get bitcoins from a bitcoin exchange – a platform similar to a stock market where bitcoins can be bought with conventional currencies. People can also receive bitcoins directly from other bitcoin users.

Getting rid of middlemen and higher fees can spur small businesses to jump into the bitcoin community. Unlike big companies, mom-and-pop stores often don't have the negotiating power to bargain on the fees they're charged when accepting credit card payments, said Bruce Fenton, executive director of the Bitcoin Foundation, a Washington-based nonprofit that focuses on bitcoin advocacy and education.

"Now with an electronic device, you can make payments easily with low or even zero transaction fees," Fenton said.

Lee Marburg, founder of CoinsForTech – an Australia-based, bitcoin-only online electronics store that ships to more than 60 countries – said his operation saved $17,000 in fees alone last year. "We processed over $500,000 in transactions and paid nothing in processing cost," he said.

Source: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/08/11/should-small-businesses-bet-on-bitcoin

Don't see how they can justify such exorbitant fees, it is a huge burden on business.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 03:58:24 AM

In this one, they are proposing using fiat wallets as a stepping stone to bitcoin. Allowing people to pay and receive in local fiat, but transacting in bitcoin. It's an interesting concept, which might make it easy for users to understand, but I'm not sure it is a good solution. Anyway, take a look, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Fiat Wallets: The Key to Bitcoin Going Mainstream?

Since bitcoin was introduced in 2009, we have seen endless efforts to make it mainstream.

These efforts have spanned the launches of the world’s ‘easiest bitcoin web wallet’, ‘easiest bitcoin mobile wallet’, ‘consumer multi-sig wallets’ and ‘easiest way to buy bitcoins’.

The user interface has improved by leaps and bounds. We as a community even spent more than a year debating ‘bits’ vs ‘bitcoin’ in an effort to make new bitcoin owners feel wealthier. Startups who act as custodians of customers' bitcoins began advertising "we are fully insured", "we have proof of reserves", "we have the world’s most secure vault" and "we are fully licensed".

What has been achieved so far?

One could argue that instead of mainstreaming bitcoin as a payment network, we’ve instead encouraged the speculation on bitcoin prices.

In the past couple of years, as volatility became an issue in light of a more than 70% drop in bitcoin prices, merchant services offered retailers the ability to accept fiat over the bitcoin network.

The way it works is that consumer bitcoins would be sent to the merchant processor, who then settles with the merchant in the desired fiat currency. However, the benchmarks of success for these services have included statistics on the percentage of revenues merchants keep as bitcoin.

It begs the question: Why does that even matter?

This spring, on the consumer side, services such as OKLink, Coinbase, and Circle have solved the volatility issue for consumers by adding or pre-announcing fiat wallets linked to the bitcoin network. CNY (OKLink) and USD (Coinbase and Circle). This will let users pay and receive in their local currency, while the transfer is made using bitcoins in the background and without any currency exchange risk.

Thus far, this is being offered as somewhat of a side feature. These services are maintaining the dual mode of allowing users the choice to use bitcoin as the front end (bitcoin wallet over the bitcoin network) or the back end (fiat wallet over the bitcoin network).

This is akin to a gas station offering you a core service of buying and storing oil, while giving you the optional side service of filling your car.

In no way am I disparaging bitcoin’s long term value and the promise it holds as the best money the world has ever seen. A different approach towards mainstreaming adoption of the network won’t weaken this function, and could in fact strengthen it.

[...]

http://www.coindesk.com/fiat-wallets-the-key-to-bitcoin-going-mainstream/

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 10:45:03 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2015, 10:11:09 PM by Chase

In this one, they are proposing using fiat wallets as a stepping stone to bitcoin. Allowing people to pay and receive in local fiat, but transacting in bitcoin. It's an interesting concept, which might make it easy for users to understand, but I'm not sure it is a good solution. Anyway, take a look, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Fiat Wallets: The Key to Bitcoin Going Mainstream?

Since bitcoin was introduced in 2009, we have seen endless efforts to make it mainstream.

These efforts have spanned the launches of the world’s ‘easiest bitcoin web wallet’, ‘easiest bitcoin mobile wallet’, ‘consumer multi-sig wallets’ and ‘easiest way to buy bitcoins’.

The user interface has improved by leaps and bounds. We as a community even spent more than a year debating ‘bits’ vs ‘bitcoin’ in an effort to make new bitcoin owners feel wealthier. Startups who act as custodians of customers' bitcoins began advertising "we are fully insured", "we have proof of reserves", "we have the world’s most secure vault" and "we are fully licensed".

What has been achieved so far?

One could argue that instead of mainstreaming bitcoin as a payment network, we’ve instead encouraged the speculation on bitcoin prices.

In the past couple of years, as volatility became an issue in light of a more than 70% drop in bitcoin prices, merchant services offered retailers the ability to accept fiat over the bitcoin network.

The way it works is that consumer bitcoins would be sent to the merchant processor, who then settles with the merchant in the desired fiat currency. However, the benchmarks of success for these services have included statistics on the percentage of revenues merchants keep as bitcoin.

It begs the question: Why does that even matter?

This spring, on the consumer side, services such as OKLink, Coinbase, and Circle have solved the volatility issue for consumers by adding or pre-announcing fiat wallets linked to the bitcoin network. CNY (OKLink) and USD (Coinbase and Circle). This will let users pay and receive in their local currency, while the transfer is made using bitcoins in the background and without any currency exchange risk.

Thus far, this is being offered as somewhat of a side feature. These services are maintaining the dual mode of allowing users the choice to use bitcoin as the front end (bitcoin wallet over the bitcoin network) or the back end (fiat wallet over the bitcoin network).

This is akin to a gas station offering you a core service of buying and storing oil, while giving you the optional side service of filling your car.

In no way am I disparaging bitcoin’s long term value and the promise it holds as the best money the world has ever seen. A different approach towards mainstreaming adoption of the network won’t weaken this function, and could in fact strengthen it.

[...]

http://www.coindesk.com/fiat-wallets-the-key-to-bitcoin-going-mainstream/

I really don't see this as an answer to mainstream adoption.  It may be of help to people already familiar with bitcoin or businesses wanting to try it, that didn't use it because of the volatility, but I still don't see the average consumer finding any benefit in this.  This doesn't get consumers to drop their preferred method of payment either - the almighty credit card.  I don't see that they have done anything for the ease of use (or the Why do I need this??)  that is so badly needed for mainstream adoption.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 11:22:14 AM

“The most important characteristic of bitcoin, making it different from conventional currency, is that it's decentralized – no one authority controls the money network.”

Certainly decentralization is the characteristic that appeals most to libertarians. However, the supra-national nature of cryptos is equally relevant.

@ Coinfortech: Australian? I will check it out forthwith. (Can’t believe we’ve never bumped into it!)

@: “However, the benchmarks of success for these services have included statistics on the percentage of revenues merchants keep as bitcoin. It begs the question: Why does that even matter?”

It’s a biggie!

Some setups provide merchants with a real-time Bitcoin-back-to-fiat service, in which case Bitcoin is serving only as another payment method.*

However, once any merchant begins to hold some of that Bitcoin, it is available to be used to buy products directly from another Bitcoin-accepting business.

Nxt’s BGCAFFE is a great example of this. The ‘asset’ (crypto, for intents and purposes) is both the stock of the company and a crypto.

So, if BGCAFFE and BGCAFFE’s customers and BGCAFFE’s suppliers and their customers all begin holding and using the BGCAFFE asset to and fro among themselves . . . that’s the holy grail, transactional volume (and a giant leap towards stability).

Mark

*Back in early 2014, guys, when Bitcoin's price was relentlessly slipping after the end of The Big Spike in late 2013, at the time when commercial adoption was really beginning to gain traction, we angsted endlessly over why Bitcoin wasn't going up in price in synch with that adoption.

The most popular theory was that the Bitcoin taken by companies like Dell Computers and Toshiba Electrics was being put immediately back on the market.
Pages: « 1 ... 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 [339] 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: