Bitcoin Forum
December 11, 2016, 02:29:38 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Electrum - Lightweight Bitcoin Client  (Read 243521 times)
nerioseole

Activity: 512

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 06:49:42 PM

Is 2FA implemented?

Yes, as a plugin. But only through a service. And without that service you will never every be able to reach your coins. I think that alone is inacceptable. Plus you have to pay a relatively high fee for each transaction on top, only because the privilege to use 2FA that way.

I cant see why 2FA wasnt implemented properly. Instead its a security loss.
Maybe you should read the instructions first: https://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Two-factor_authentication

Even if TrustedCoin is compromised or taken offline, your coins are secure as long as you still have the seed of your wallet

If you don't like the service, don't use it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 1638

Free Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 11:44:25 AM

Is 2FA implemented?

Yes, as a plugin. But only through a service. And without that service you will never every be able to reach your coins. I think that alone is inacceptable. Plus you have to pay a relatively high fee for each transaction on top, only because the privilege to use 2FA that way.

Maybe you should read the instructions first: https://electrum.orain.org/wiki/Two-factor_authentication

Even if TrustedCoin is compromised or taken offline, your coins are secure as long as you still have the seed of your wallet

Secure... but unspendable. Or how should one access coins on a multisignature address when one party cant give their key for releasing them? What is secure with that? Its like losing your wallet password and brainwallet too.

Yes, i wont use it because its more risky than not using 2FA. But i would like a normal 2FA implemented. Something without third parties involved. And for sure something where you dont need to have to pay for every transaction again.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
favdesu

Activity: 896

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 11:54:17 AM

Is 2FA implemented?

Secure... but unspendable. Or how should one access coins on a multisignature address when one party cant give their key for releasing them? What is secure with that? Its like losing your wallet password and brainwallet too.

Yes, i wont use it because its more risky than not using 2FA. But i would like a normal 2FA implemented. Something without third parties involved. And for sure something where you dont need to have to pay for every transaction again.

2FA is not needed for a local wallet. make sure to backup the seed / pw to keepass and keep that secure. that's all what's needed to use electrum

► Get Started in Bitcoin Marketing - bullshit filtered: Click Here
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2015, 02:50:14 PM

Please stop spreading FUD! Bitcoins stored in a 2FA wallet can be fully recovered from the seed, and spent.

How do we achieve this?
Here is the trick: The public key of the cosigner service is not needed, because it is derived deterministically from the seed.

You can test it by yourself, it works.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 07:21:29 PM

Please stop spreading FUD! Bitcoins stored in a 2FA wallet can be fully recovered from the seed, and spent.

How do we achieve this?
Here is the trick: The public key of the cosigner service is not needed, because it is derived deterministically from the seed.

Ok, thats something important to know. So when the service dies, but you still have your brainwallet, you will be able to recover your funds? I mean without the service could you create the multisig addresses again at all? I would not know what to do just in the case.

Is it your service? If not, why didnt you implement 2FA normally? Not being able to log into the account or send transactions without 2FA should have been sufficient i guess. Why not going that route? The service costs money for each transaction on top. Because of that i doubt many will use it.

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
nerioseole

Activity: 512

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 03:00:48 AM

... but you still have your brainwallet, you will be able to recover your funds?

brainwallet Huh??

You obviously still haven't read the instructions:

BTW:  less than 3 pennies per transactions for using the service is still much cheaper than buying a $120 Trezor...
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 518

Bit-x.com - Fast & Easy Trade with Low Fees!

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 04:28:37 PM

How do we achieve this?

Ok, thats something important to know. So when the service dies, but you still have your brainwallet, you will be able to recover your funds?

It is not brainwallet, it is hierarchical deterministic seed.

I mean without the service could you create the multisig addresses again at all? I would not know what to do just in the case.

Yes.

Is it your service? If not, why didnt you implement 2FA normally? Not being able to log into the account or send transactions without 2FA should have been sufficient i guess. Why not going that route? The service costs money for each transaction on top. Because of that i doubt many will use it.

Which service are you talking about? Please clarify.

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 11:53:32 AM

Ok, thats something important to know. So when the service dies, but you still have your brainwallet, you will be able to recover your funds? I mean without the service could you create the multisig addresses again at all? I would not know what to do just in the case.

Again: YES. How many times will I need to repeat that?
Yes, you can recover your wallet from its seed, at any time, even if the service dies. It is fully deterministic.

Competing services may not have that feature, but Electrum does have it.
I would certainly not propose that service in Electrum if it was not the case.

Is it your service?
The service is operated by TrustedCoin.
The fees paid by users are shared between Electrum Technologies and TrustedCoin.
The service was developed by both companies.

If not, why didnt you implement 2FA normally? Not being able to log into the account or send transactions without 2FA should have been sufficient i guess. Why not going that route? The service costs money for each transaction on top. Because of that i doubt many will use it.
what the F*** do you mean by 'normally'? If you mean 'without a remote server', then you can create a multisig wallet with Electrum, and sign transactions with two devices; it will not cost you anything. It even works with android.

OTOH, if you want the convenience of someone else hosting and securing a cosigning key for you, then someone has to pay for the server operation, and for the people developing the service. I do not want to run that kind of service on VC money (like BitGo does), because I want Electrum to remain independent, and because it does not work in the long run (what do you do once you run out of VC money?)

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 03:47:51 PM

... but you still have your brainwallet, you will be able to recover your funds?

brainwallet Huh??

So a 2fa electrum wallet has no brainwallet. The normal one has and thats the source of the seed, right? I wonder why the multisig one doesnt have when the wiki states that the seed contains all three keys.

BTW:  less than 3 pennies per transactions for using the service is still much cheaper than buying a $120 Trezor...

Its huge. Especially for a service you get everywhere for free. :| Though thats a decision of the creators.

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 03:59:06 PM

Again: YES. How many times will I need to repeat that?
Yes, you can recover your wallet from its seed, at any time, even if the service dies. It is fully deterministic.

Competing services may not have that feature, but Electrum does have it.
I would certainly not propose that service in Electrum if it was not the case.

Is it your service?
The service is operated by TrustedCoin.
The fees paid by users are shared between Electrum Technologies and TrustedCoin.
The service was developed by both companies.

If not, why didnt you implement 2FA normally? Not being able to log into the account or send transactions without 2FA should have been sufficient i guess. Why not going that route? The service costs money for each transaction on top. Because of that i doubt many will use it.
what the F*** do you mean by 'normally'? If you mean 'without a remote server', then you can create a multisig wallet with Electrum, and sign transactions with two devices; it will not cost you anything. It even works with android.

OTOH, if you want the convenience of someone else hosting and securing a cosigning key for you, then someone has to pay for the server operation, and for the people developing the service. I do not want to run that kind of service on VC money (like BitGo does), because I want Electrum to remain independent, and because it does not work in the long run (what do you do once you run out of VC money?)

Well, i admit im a bit astonished how aggressive you get only because i made a wrong assumption. Yes, the wallet can be retrieved. Ok now?

And "normally"? 2FA is only a kind of second password whose source is held independent from the wallets host computer. So under a normal implementation i would understand that, with the current setup, a transaction only can be sent when the 2FA code is correct and the password too. Though when i think about the implementation i see why it might not work that way. If the wallet checks for a correct 2FA then the code has to be in the wallet, which makes it attackable. Encryption would only work with a static password too. So even when encrypting the 2FA with the norma password, at that point an attacker on the computer might be able to get in.

Letting a server check brings you back to point TrustedCoin.

Guess 2FA only makes sense for a website since its unlikely that it gets hacked. So only protecting things outside of the website.

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 518

Bit-x.com - Fast & Easy Trade with Low Fees!

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 04:13:49 PM

brainwallet Huh??

So a 2fa electrum wallet has no brainwallet. The normal one has and thats the source of the seed, right? I wonder why the multisig one doesnt have when the wiki states that the seed contains all three keys.

-snip-

Electrum does not have a brainwallet. Brainwallet and hierarchical deterministic seed are different. Please read https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Brainwallet and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Deterministic_wallet.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 07:17:44 PM

brainwallet Huh??

-snip-

Electrum does not have a brainwallet. Brainwallet and hierarchical deterministic seed are different. Please read https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Brainwallet and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Deterministic_wallet.

What is written at Deterministic wallet does not match how i created my electrum wallets some years ago. I still have a key in keepass saying brainwallet electrum and its a lot of words. It was always said that is a brainwallet so i dont know what you say i have. Brainwallet was a number of words you theoretically can keep in your mind and thats all you need to restore your electrum. So did this change or is this about semantics, like these words are named another way or brainwallet is specificially something different?

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 06:24:12 AM

So did this change or is this about semantics, like these words are named another way or brainwallet is specificially something different?

It's about semantics. When people say brain wallet they usually mean something that they came up with that is a series of words that are human generated. Electrum mnemonic is computer generated and random so it is safe. Human generated words are not random so they are unsafe. Brain wallet is a confusing term so better to call it a mnemonic or seed rather than a brain wallet.

I usually point people to this excellent rant by G Maxwell Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=311000.msg3345309#msg3345309

He mentions electrum mnemonics in the last paragraph.

(oh and BTW years ago electrum allowed you to create your own mnemonic i.e. a brain wallet but it's no longer permitted. we may still be able to help you recover your old brain wallet. create a separate thread about it and mention when you created the wallet and what version of electrum you used)

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 02:35:19 PM

So did this change or is this about semantics, like these words are named another way or brainwallet is specificially something different?

It's about semantics. When people say brain wallet they usually mean something that they came up with that is a series of words that are human generated. Electrum mnemonic is computer generated and random so it is safe. Human generated words are not random so they are unsafe. Brain wallet is a confusing term so better to call it a mnemonic or seed rather than a brain wallet.

I usually point people to this excellent rant by G Maxwell Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=311000.msg3345309#msg3345309

He mentions electrum mnemonics in the last paragraph.

(oh and BTW years ago electrum allowed you to create your own mnemonic i.e. a brain wallet but it's no longer permitted. we may still be able to help you recover your old brain wallet. create a separate thread about it and mention when you created the wallet and what version of electrum you used)

Ah ok. I always wondered how someone will remind such a long list of random words. A password sentence containing special signs and lower und uppercase would look way safer than that. Though im not sure how long he would need to be.

Then its only a loosely habit that mnemonics are called brainwallet. It sounded logical since theoretical its made for humans to remind easily. I wonder why electrum uses mnemonic since its not intended to be reminded. A broader signs pool could raise security when it has to be saved in a password manager anyway. Though thats probably because of the origins... that you could edit the mnemonic.

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
RappelzReborn

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 01:09:15 PM

Hi , is it me or Electrum new version have an ugly icon ? on the bottom when you launch it there is transparant Background but the Icon on the desktop have white background and the icon dosen't like look the older version 2.0 etc.. ? would be nice to fix that even if it's not that important , design a really important factor .

gsupp

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 12:43:32 AM

Hi , is it me or Electrum new version have an ugly icon ? on the bottom when you launch it there is transparant Background but the Icon on the desktop have white background and the icon dosen't like look the older version 2.0 etc.. ? would be nice to fix that even if it's not that important , design a really important factor .

What version of Electrum and what operating system? I ask because the icon seems fine on my Linux install with electrum 2.4. If you're on Windows, maybe try clearing your icon cache: http://superuser.com/questions/499078/refresh-icon-cache-without-rebooting
gsupp

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 12:47:59 AM

Is there any updated documentation on the label sync plugin? I found instructions here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=154144.0 but that seems to be for an older version of the plugin. The help icon references this page https://github.com/maran/electrum-sync-server but doesn't talk about usage of the client. Do I just click "force upload" on the computer that has my labels and then "force download" on my watching only wallets, without signing up for any account or entering an API key?
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 10:06:53 AM

Is there any updated documentation on the label sync plugin? I found instructions here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=154144.0 but that seems to be for an older version of the plugin. The help icon references this page https://github.com/maran/electrum-sync-server but doesn't talk about usage of the client. Do I just click "force upload" on the computer that has my labels and then "force download" on my watching only wallets, without signing up for any account or entering an API key?

As far as i used it yes. The only thing needed is the key and your wallet is recognized and the labels attached to the addresses and transactions are stored and recovered.

Though its of course that your labels are stored at a server, so centralized risk. I would prefer having the possibility to specify a file on my computer, i would store it in a cloud directory, and let my labels sync there. I would at least avoid that additional risk. I mean server owners has to give out the details when asked, especially in the US.

Saying that... the feature saved my labels often since the electrum database not seldom loses labels.

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 04:59:27 PM

Its strange that i only now get the idea to ask but can it be that certain servers are overloaded some time? Its not seldom that i cant connect to a server. Normally i dont use autoconnect because i think its way too risky spreading my addresses to every server that asks me to know my addresses. You never know who runs them. (Or do i miss that all electrum servers does now all wallet addresses anyway?)

Anyway... i use one server and another when this server doesnt work. And sometimes i cant reach them. It doesnt matter then when i restart electrum or let me give a new ip at AdvOr (thats an advanced TOR software).

So i wonder if server, 10k ones, are overloaded occassionally.

While trying to connect again i found that advor claims i should use socks4a instead socks5, because its safer. At least the log states:
[18:50:24] [warn] Your application (using socks5 to port 8444) is giving Tor only an IP address. Applications that do DNS resolves themselves may leak information. Consider using Socks4A (e.g. via privoxy or socat) instead. For more information, please see http://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#SOCKSAndDNS.

Im not sure if socks4a is better but i changed it in electrum, then tried to connect again. But it didnt work. I checked the advor log and it still claims i used socks5... repeating log entries. So i wonder if that setting wasnt changed correctly in electrum. Since when i restarted electrum again then it used socks4. And i could connect.

Socks5 should work too since i know i could connect with it before.

So does someone know what my connection problems could be? Getting a new ip from tor doesnt help and i see the logfile showing many connection attemps.

By saying that... another thing i wonder... when i want to connect to a server without autoconnect then the log of advor shows connection requests to many different ips. What i wonder is what that is.

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 05:17:42 PM

I want to add... i observed the log of advor a little bit more, when im logged on to a server and im doing nothing, why are there connection requests to other servers? Is electrum asking for a serverlist or something?

The log shows this:
Code:
[19:12:12] [proxy] Connection request for blockchain.info:443 .
[19:12:46] [proxy] Connection request for sync.bysh.me:8080 .
[19:12:47] [notice] [electrum-2.1-portable.exe PID: 13280, ID: 210] Downloading from http://sync.bysh.me:8080/label
[19:14:44] [proxy] Connection request for blockchain.info:443 .

Im connected to a different server though. The label sync is normal though, its enabled.

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Pages: « 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.