Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:06:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Electrum - Lightweight Bitcoin Client  (Read 274473 times)
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2015, 11:16:03 AM

The error message from C++ Runtime Library still exists in electrum 2.0.4.

R6034 An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.

This happened with 2.0.3 too. The error message shows up every time i start an electrum wallet.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tnkflx

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 09:23:30 PM

The error message from C++ Runtime Library still exists in electrum 2.0.4.

R6034 An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.

This happened with 2.0.3 too. The error message shows up every time i start an electrum wallet.

I have this exact same message in Windows with 2.0.4...

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 01:19:08 AM

So what is the process to re claim your old wallet if say your computer crashes and all your files were deleted?

sounds unrealistic. What failure would have caused this?

For example a fire in your house.

Whatever happens all you need is your seed.  The joy of Electrum Smiley

I have my seeds saved in several secure locations so no matter what happens my btc are safe.  Even when I die.

ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 11:31:49 AM

Electrum version 2.1 is available now: https://electrum.org/#download
Release notes: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 11:50:27 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2015, 12:02:01 PM by SebastianJu

Great, yesterday i checked for new versions and today one came out. I hope it includes the speed optimizations already.

Edit: Its fast! Thanks a lot! Smiley The version number shows a major change.

BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2015, 06:26:12 PM

This version for OSX does not work! Please fix the error asap.
BitcoinIsLiberty

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 03:28:42 AM

When someone picks hardware wallet shouldn't it make "Restore or import wallet" unselected? People will pick it and input their Trezor seed into the wizard. I think selecting "New" and "Standard wallet" with provisions to accept a Trezor seed are probably safer. Or more warning they are losing hardware security in the wizard on the screen where the user types in the Trezor seed.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 04:49:23 AM

When someone picks hardware wallet shouldn't it make "Restore or import wallet" unselected? People will pick it and input their Trezor seed into the wizard. I think selecting "New" and "Standard wallet" with provisions to accept a Trezor seed are probably safer. Or more warning they are losing hardware security in the wizard on the screen where the user types in the Trezor seed.

I agree. It needs to be obvious to the user what is happening.
BitcoinIsLiberty

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 06:59:28 AM

I agree. It needs to be obvious to the user what is happening.

Trezor signs the transactions, not Electrum.  Electrum doesn't need to know the seed words of the Trezor.  

With a Trezor wallet on mytrezor.com all set up I load Electrum. I'm given a choice of "Create New wallet" or "Restore wallet" while selecting "Hardware wallet", it might not be obvious to everyone what one to pick if I want to use my already set up Trezor. If I pick restore it asks for the seed words to be entered. I think I've seen on other places people picking restore and confused why it was asking for the seed words. It might make it easy for people to make mistakes with their backup seed.
ONLYfree
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 08:47:29 PM

Hello,
I try install new version of wallet but when I try open file I get this error :

I tried install windows installer too. After success installation I try open wallet and get same problem/error

-2: -1 / +0
Warning: Trade with extreme caution!
Tachikoma

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 08:00:17 AM

Which versions specifically are you using? Releases are quite rapid at the moment.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:07:18 AM

Hello,

I tried install windows installer too. After success installation I try open wallet and get same problem/error

If you don't have any BTC's
, you should try to go to %appdata%/Electrum and delete all the files you found there then try to Install again. I personally jumped from an old version to a newer one and all went fine when I deleted the file which was on AppData however I didn't got that error because I never launched the wallet before removing the AppData .
If you have BTC's and you are afraid to lose anything , then don't do what I said above ,I don't wanna be reponsible for any losses.

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 08:09:06 AM

Hello,

, you should try to go to %appdata%/Electrum and delete all the files you found there then try to Install again. I personally jumped from an old version to a newer one and all went fine when I deleted the file which was on AppData however I didn't got that error because I never launched the wallet before removing the AppData .
If you have BTC's and you are afraid to lose anything , then don't do what I said above ,I don't wanna be reponsible for any losses.

that's why you got the seed words. if you got them it doesn't matter what happens to your local data.

RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:11:43 AM

Hello,

that's why you got the seed words. if you got them it doesn't matter what happens to your local data.

I know but I'am not sure when he got this error message , maybe he got it on the beggining so he didn't have the chance to get the seeds on the first place ?  Undecided However what you are saying does make sense , maybe he just got it when the wallet tried to upload

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 09:25:55 PM

When you create a csv with the private keys, will you risk your whole wallet when you give a couple of these addresses, or their private keys, to another person? Could he guess or otherwise get to my other addresses and private keys? If so, why doesnt electrum simply create a single private key then?

I ask because of pos coins, like clams and their initial distribution. Some users import their clams into just-dice.com, by sending a command to the chat window.

btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 09:40:27 PM

When you create a csv with the private keys, will you risk your whole wallet when you give a couple of these addresses, or their private keys, to another person? Could he guess or otherwise get to my other addresses and private keys?

Maybe.

Anyone who has a single private key and your master public key (from the same wallet) can compute the wallet's master private key (and therefore all of the other private keys). Keep in mind that your master public key is not encrypted in your wallet file, so gaining access to it is easier than gaining access to the encrypted master private key stored in your wallet file.

If all one has is a set of private keys from the same Electrum wallet, they cannot determine any other private keys.

Personally, I'd never give anyone any of my private keys unless they were from an isolated wallet I didn't use for any other purpose (which I'd then consider compromised for all intents and purposes).
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 09:43:33 PM

No every address has its own private key and as far as i know they cannot be linked to other wallet in any way.

About the clams claiming trough just-dice.com. It is just plain stupid if you do that. I find it even tricky to do it trough the wallet. But only address which are filled at the time they get funded got their CLAMS and that was last year ago. Just send your btc's to a wallet which do not have unclaimed CLAMS before you claim your CLAMS.
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 09:46:43 PM

No every address has its own private key and as far as i know they cannot be linked to other wallet in any way.

Please see the post I wrote a few minutes ago just above yours....
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 11:38:55 AM

Personally, I'd never give anyone any of my private keys unless they were from an isolated wallet I didn't use for any other purpose (which I'd then consider compromised for all intents and purposes).

Why do you consider it a risk to give out a single private key for a single address when you say its not risking the other addresses? Electrum wont use an already used addres out of its own. And new addresses should be safe.

About the clams claiming trough just-dice.com. It is just plain stupid if you do that. I find it even tricky to do it trough the wallet. But only address which are filled at the time they get funded got their CLAMS and that was last year ago. Just send your btc's to a wallet which do not have unclaimed CLAMS before you claim your CLAMS.

I claimed then through just dice. It took some time because electrum isnt made for it but i found 6 + 10 addresses containing clams. I then imported these single private keys into jd. When youre right and the other addresses arent compromised then it should not be a problem isnt it?

Or do you speak about the amount of work? Yes, thats no fun but i wondered and though i should have a couple one. I think i found more than i awaited.

The wallets arent really used anymore but i still wonder why you still see a risk.

btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 12:24:24 PM

Why do you consider it a risk to give out a single private key for a single address when you say its not risking the other addresses? Electrum wont use an already used addres out of its own. And new addresses should be safe.

"Risk" is exactly the right word. As I said, once someone has a single private key, they only need to get your master public key to compromise the rest of your wallet. Your master public key is stored in you wallet file unencrypted, so it's not that hard to get.

If you're comfortable there's no way an adversary could gain access to your master public key, then you're probably safe, but it remains risky....

(Note that if you decide to take this risk and give out a single private key, there's no additional risk to giving out more private keys to the same adversary.)
Pages: « 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: