Bitcoin Forum
December 10, 2016, 10:43:50 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Electrum - Lightweight Bitcoin Client  (Read 243384 times)
tl121

Activity: 279

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:46:21 PM

Its strange that i only now get the idea to ask but can it be that certain servers are overloaded some time? Its not seldom that i cant connect to a server. Normally i dont use autoconnect because i think its way too risky spreading my addresses to every server that asks me to know my addresses. You never know who runs them. (Or do i miss that all electrum servers does now all wallet addresses anyway?)

Anyway... i use one server and another when this server doesnt work. And sometimes i cant reach them. It doesnt matter then when i restart electrum or let me give a new ip at AdvOr (thats an advanced TOR software).

So i wonder if server, 10k ones, are overloaded occassionally.

I run a private Electrum server on a slow machine.  It can take several minutes to process a block.  If a couple of large blocks hit the network rapidly the server falls behind the network.  This results in my client showing "server lagging" messages or, in some cases, the server getting "desperate" to catch up and just ignoring my client(s).   This happened quite often during the spam/test'demonstartion in early July.  With a public server, there is also the possibility that your client is competing with other people's clients for attention and cycles from the server that you have selected.

IMO, server performance is the biggest downside of Electrum and it will only get worse if the network traffic increases naturally and the block size is raised.  On my machine, the Electrum server uses more than four times more processing time than the Bitcoin Core.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 1638

Free Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 12:27:28 PM

Its strange that i only now get the idea to ask but can it be that certain servers are overloaded some time? Its not seldom that i cant connect to a server. Normally i dont use autoconnect because i think its way too risky spreading my addresses to every server that asks me to know my addresses. You never know who runs them. (Or do i miss that all electrum servers does now all wallet addresses anyway?)

Anyway... i use one server and another when this server doesnt work. And sometimes i cant reach them. It doesnt matter then when i restart electrum or let me give a new ip at AdvOr (thats an advanced TOR software).

So i wonder if server, 10k ones, are overloaded occassionally.

I run a private Electrum server on a slow machine.  It can take several minutes to process a block.  If a couple of large blocks hit the network rapidly the server falls behind the network.  This results in my client showing "server lagging" messages or, in some cases, the server getting "desperate" to catch up and just ignoring my client(s).   This happened quite often during the spam/test'demonstartion in early July.  With a public server, there is also the possibility that your client is competing with other people's clients for attention and cycles from the server that you have selected.

IMO, server performance is the biggest downside of Electrum and it will only get worse if the network traffic increases naturally and the block size is raised.  On my machine, the Electrum server uses more than four times more processing time than the Bitcoin Core.

Whats your server name? Its always good to know who handles your data. Smiley

And yes, i have not seldom the message that servers are lagging behind in the blocks.

I think it might be helpful when the serverwindow shows some serverstats too, like it was with emule servers. Its different here but one might be able to chose a server, as his standard that is constantly having ressources open. At least if you dont want to use autoconnect to stay more private.

But maybe the problem is the server code too? I mean ThomasV, i believe, changed the code of the client some months ago and now i have zero problems handling my huge electrum, containing thousands of addresses and transactions. Might be that the server software needs a performance update too.

At the end the electrum servers can serve a little bit as advertising. Means the server list is way bigger than before. That should lead to servers having more ressources free at least. If its not enough maybe allow a tab showing offers in electrum? Though i think devs wont accept that so it probably wont be a way out.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
OmegaStarScream

Activity: 770

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 04:15:28 PM

Who could confirm that this is the current icon of Electrum ? I'am afraid that I'am not using the official version even if I downloaded from their official website some time ago .

EDIT : Why on the website latest version says : "2.4" while when you download from here (Windows) : https://electrum.org/#download It gives you 2.3.2  Huh  Huh make no sense

gsupp

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 06:36:03 PM

As far as i used it yes. The only thing needed is the key and your wallet is recognized and the labels attached to the addresses and transactions are stored and recovered.

Thanks, I tried it and it just worked like magic!  Grin (remember to restart Electrum after enabling the labelsync plugin)

Though its of course that your labels are stored at a server, so centralized risk. I would prefer having the possibility to specify a file on my computer, i would store it in a cloud directory, and let my labels sync there. I would at least avoid that additional risk. I mean server owners has to give out the details when asked, especially in the US.

True, but the documentation says the labels are encrypted on the client side before being transmitted to the server. So there is protection, it's not like the information is stored in clear text on the server.
HPt

Activity: 34

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 12:05:44 AM

I just realized that the Master Public Keys of the three wallets I just created with Electrum 2.3.2 all start with "xpub661MyMwAqRbc...".
"xpub" certainly is a marker for identifying the String as a Master Public Key. However, do the other coinciding letters have to be always the same or do they result from a lack of entropy in the generation process?
mustyoshi

Activity: 272

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 04:04:35 AM

I just realized that the Master Public Keys of the three wallets I just created with Electrum 2.3.2 all start with "xpub661MyMwAqRbc...".
"xpub" certainly is a marker for identifying the String as a Master Public Key. However, do the other coinciding letters have to be always the same or do they result from a lack of entropy in the generation process?
Check the private keys to be sure.
OmegaStarScream

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 08:52:17 AM

Could someone please answer my question above , If the latest version is 2.4 how come there is only 2.3.2 to download on the Download page on Electrum.org . I appreciate any answer ASAP because I need to switch to Electrum in few minuts (installing new windows version)
Also why the shortcut icon is different then before with a weird way  Huh

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 09:56:51 PM

Is the encryption feature for an address (right click) electrum specific or is that standard for wallets now? How to use it, i mean usecases?

True, but the documentation says the labels are encrypted on the client side before being transmitted to the server. So there is protection, it's not like the information is stored in clear text on the server.

Yeah, i remember. Though i wonder if the actual addresses can be encrypted. Though maybe its really a complete file that is up- and downloaded so that the actual addresses arent known to the server.

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
HPt

View Profile
July 31, 2015, 10:18:24 AM

Where do I find the private master key?
In any case: Either every master public key has to begin with "xpub661MyMwAqRbc..." or there is some lack of entropy when generating the seed. In the latter case this would be an issue with Electrum. Other programs require the user to move the mouse or hit keys on the keyboard in order to supply entropy; Electrum on the other hand generates the seed without user interaction. So, I wonder how Electrum ensures a truly random seed.
ColderThanIce

Activity: 381

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 07:41:46 PM

In any case: Either every master public key has to begin with "xpub661MyMwAqRbc..." or there is some lack of entropy when generating the seed. In the latter case this would be an issue with Electrum. Other programs require the user to move the mouse or hit keys on the keyboard in order to supply entropy; Electrum on the other hand generates the seed without user interaction. So, I wonder how Electrum ensures a truly random seed.
To my knowledge, you can't export the master private key from Electrum. You can always recover from the seed generated when you created the wallet though.

Also, about the master public key bit, mine doesn't start with "xpub661MyMwAqRbc", but it was created in an older Electrum version so that could be why.

ROLLIN.IO  BITCOIN   DICE   GAME
   ⚁    ⚂    ⚃    ⚄   ⚅   ⚁   ⚂
                                        ███████████████████    
                                      ██                                    ██
      ██████████████████                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██  
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██████████            ██████
      ██                            ██              ██          ██
      ██                            ██                 ██       ██
      ██                            ██                    ██    ██
      ███████        ███████                        ████
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
█         ████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
BadAss.Sx
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Bulletproof VPS/VPN/Email @ BadAss.Sx

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2015, 08:32:09 PM

Wallet - Master Public keys gives you the MPK (mac that is)

Need BadAss Bulletproof VPS or Bulletproof VPN or why not just mail safe with Safe-Mail. We care about your privacy.
ColderThanIce

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 08:34:32 PM

It does as well on Windows, but HPt was asking how to get the master private key. At first I thought he was asking about the pub key and thought the same as you.  Wink

███████████████████    
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
HPt

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 11:16:37 AM

It does as well on Windows, but HPt was asking how to get the master private key. At first I thought he was asking about the pub key and thought the same as you.  Wink
I asked for the private master key, because mustyoshi suggested to check it. But, as I wrote, my concern is about the fact that the master public keys that I generated start all the same. I would be happy if someone could clarify which part of the master master public key string ought to be random and which part contains some other information (such as the "xpub" part). If the part that starts the same actually should be random then electrum has an entropy issue. Another (unlikely) possibility would be that my electrum version is compromised. (I use the Windows version 2.3.2 which I downloaded from the official website as version 2.4; as OmegaStarScream pointed out this is a bit strange.)
ColderThanIce

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 12:57:22 PM

It does as well on Windows, but HPt was asking how to get the master private key. At first I thought he was asking about the pub key and thought the same as you.  Wink
I asked for the private master key, because mustyoshi suggested to check it. But, as I wrote, my concern is about the fact that the master public keys that I generated start all the same. I would be happy if someone could clarify which part of the master master public key string ought to be random and which part contains some other information (such as the "xpub" part). If the part that starts the same actually should be random then electrum has an entropy issue. Another (unlikely) possibility would be that my electrum version is compromised. (I use the Windows version 2.3.2 which I downloaded from the official website as version 2.4; as OmegaStarScream pointed out this is a bit strange.)

I generated a couple of new wallets and here are their master public keys:

xpub661MyMwAqRbcGEUSdYvF2MDjcfdm79asccSYHq3jMAPWwkJiLbRtv4rWAS4St6cjupyh72iH85GggEPuRuA5ifA7UE1 KJz9r6sobkqzNZBa

xpub661MyMwAqRbcFKQySfiyDSpZ72zjry4WEbSDpXek7ADXFcS5oSExMku4z4FhX7sQEyJgaUeN48xMCpuTtRvBHH2cr8N TaL6fBHkrFeNryEV

Both begin with xpub661MyMwAqRbc but after that they're completely randomized. So the first 16 characters are always the same, but the last 95 characters should be random.

As for your Electrum install being potentially compromised: The reason that you downloaded 2.3.2 when the site says that the latest release was version 2.4 is because there currently isn't a compiled 2.4 version of Electrum for Windows, or OSX. Only Linux offers an easy install of 2.4. If you want to be extra sure that your Electrum install isn't compromised, then you can verify the checksum of the installer with what ThomasV has signed with his PGP as what the checksum should be. If ThomasV's PGP signed message of the checksum is valid, and the checksum matches that of the file you downloaded, then you can be sure you aren't using a compromised version of Electrum.

███████████████████    
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2015, 04:09:49 PM

As for your Electrum install being potentially compromised: The reason that you downloaded 2.3.2 when the site says that the latest release was version 2.4 is because there currently isn't a compiled 2.4 version of Electrum for Windows, or OSX. Only Linux offers an easy install of 2.4. If you want to be extra sure that your Electrum install isn't compromised, then you can verify the checksum of the installer with what ThomasV has signed with his PGP as what the checksum should be. If ThomasV's PGP signed message of the checksum is valid, and the checksum matches that of the file you downloaded, then you can be sure you aren't using a compromised version of Electrum.

Indeed. We are currently experiencing problems with binaries, that's why 2.4 binaries are not available yet.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 10:05:08 AM

I think it might be correct that the current server software gets performance problems when it comes to blockchain spamming. Since the actual spamming goes on i have problems with the servers. For example while being connected electrum gets stuck in synchronizing often. And it often happens that it is a number of blocks behind.

Might be that some servers have a heavier load because many users connect to them though.

Only a feedback. Smiley

By the way... for electrum user this is a great website: http://www.cointape.com/

It tells you when spamming goes on and can tell you which fee to chose so that you are not affected by it. I save 300% fee now than i paid before since i now know exactly which fee i should use.

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 03:32:37 PM

Any idea when we can expect the Windows binaries for version 2.4?

Also, anybody on 2.4 who have made use of the feature to send/receive bitcoins via the email plugin?

I tried it in Electrum 2.4.0.2 for litecoin but could not get it to work or rather do not understand how its supposed to work. Checked the documentation but cannot find any mention of this plugin.
OmegaStarScream

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 03:41:15 PM

Also, anybody on 2.4 who have made use of the feature to send/receive bitcoins via the email plugin?

I tried it in Electrum 2.4.0.2 for litecoin but could not get it to work or rather do not understand how its supposed to work. Checked the documentation but cannot find any mention of this plugin.

I contacted ThomasV about this matter because I wanted this new version aswell and this what he told me :
we are currently experiencing problems with the windows builds. I have no ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival)

RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 03:51:26 PM

I contacted ThomasV about this matter because I wanted this new version aswell and this what he told me :
we are currently experiencing problems with the windows builds. I have no ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival)

Thanks for sharing that, will check back again next week.
OmegaStarScream

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 10:07:39 AM

Hi , I have a quick question here .
How to upgrade from a version to another new version (of Electrum) ? I simply install the other or I should unistall the old one , also does the seed works on different wallets , I mean a seed of 2.3 version should work fine on the 2.4 version ?

Pages: « 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.