Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:22:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 [258] 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 ... 725 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Spondoolies-Tech - carrier grade, data center ready mining rigs  (Read 1260003 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
jtoomim

Activity: 818
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 01:39:44 AM

i don't know why you keep pressing your case so hard, dude.

Biodom, please don't feed the trolls. Just ignore them. Let's try to keep this thread clean enough that we can actually have substantive technical discussions and support and conversations with Spondoolies in here.

Hosting bitcoin miners for $65 to $80/kW/month on clean, cheap hydro power.
http://Toom.im

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 01:58:32 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2014, 02:16:10 AM by s1gs3gv

i don't know why you keep pressing your case so hard, dude.

Biodom, please don't feed the trolls. Just ignore them. Let's try to keep this thread clean enough that we can actually have substantive technical discussions and support and conversations with Spondoolies in here.

Yeah Biodom. Get with the program. Sanitize this thread of all the inconvenient and disturbing truths that engineers don't give a flip about. Lets clutter it up with some braggadocio and photos of posers in front of big fans nattering about rooms full of SP30s instead.
zvisha

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 03:45:02 AM

This particular SP30 shows in its stats log that it was hashing at a solid 4.5 TH/s for 24 hours on the 29th of July (burn in testing in Israel), so this is just a firmware+120V issue. Once I get this on 200V+, I expect I'll be able to get it back up to 4.5 TH/s or maybe even higher with some tweaking (and 254V?).

Does it make a loud screeching sound as Sp-10 does or is it making a whooshing sound? I understand that it is ~65-67dB at 1m, correct?

I heard from Dogie that he will get his SP30 soon. Knowing him, he will probably do the measurements and compare the miner noise to other miners. It makes less noise then SP10, but I can not compare it to other miners because I don't have other miners.
In 110V it makes more noise then in 220V because the PSU is hotter, and most noise is from the PSU.
zvisha

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:11:32 AM

I don't think trolls will ever stop, because if you go to their message history you see that they are active on 1-3 HW manufacturers posts, trying to demotivate people, and that's all they do. And they didn't ever buy miners from us. For example, s1gs3 writes only in "Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now!" and in this thread, almost every day, and telling how great Antminers are. I don't have anything against antminer, but how often do you see us going to other vendors technical forums, disturbing operation?

And at this point EVERY new person coming to this thread asking relevant question about noise, voltage, rate, warranty, delivery  or whatever will get into conversation with a troll before I even wake up.

I will do my best to convince Guy to ban people who disturb operation from this thread - I think it will be less damaging for our clients then keeping them here. He thinks they will "settle" down, but I don't see think that people should be allowed here to disturb the operation.

And even after I blocked them, I see them in quoted boxes if someone replies to them :/
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 06:26:52 AM

I don't think trolls will ever stop, because if you go to their message history you see that they are active on 1-3 HW manufacturers posts, trying to demotivate people, and that's all they do. And they didn't ever buy miners from us. For example, s1gs3 writes only in "Alpha Technology Litecoin (Scrypt) ASIC Miner Order Batch 1 Now!" and in this thread, almost every day, and telling how great Antminers are. I don't have anything against antminer, but how often do you see us going to other vendors technical forums, disturbing operation?

And at this point EVERY new person coming to this thread asking relevant question about noise, voltage, rate, warranty, delivery  or whatever will get into conversation with a troll before I even wake up.

I will do my best to convince Guy to ban people who disturb operation from this thread - I think it will be less damaging for our clients then keeping them here. He thinks they will "settle" down, but I don't see think that people should be allowed here to disturb the operation.

And even after I blocked them, I see them in quoted boxes if someone replies to them :/

Meh... just ignore the quotes. Thanks again for stepping up and giving some reassurance about the PSUs etc. I am really keen on seeing my SP30s arrive in Norway and belt out some bitcoins. I am really keen on seeing the 3rd Gen Pick Axe as well when it comes out. Definitely something that DIY's that are still chugging along will want to get their hands on as soon as they drop.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 06:34:47 AM

....And statements that assert that substandard performance at 110 volts is not a problem because customers can always host in a datacenter instead of running their machines in a home or office environment are disingenuous. ...

At 3kW, you won't be running on a standard home/office circuit anyway. (North-American plugs are generally limited to 12-15 amps of continuous draw (1320W-1650W at 110V, power factor of 1.0)

Edit: I suppose you can hook it up in the kitchen where the outlets generally have two branches (The SP30 does have two supplies).

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 07:18:49 AM

....And statements that assert that substandard performance at 110 volts is not a problem because customers can always host in a datacenter instead of running their machines in a home or office environment are disingenuous. ...

At 3kW, you won't be running on a standard home/office circuit anyway. (North-American plugs are generally limited to 12-15 amps of continuous draw (1320W-1650W at 110V, power factor of 1.0)

Edit: I suppose you can hook it up in the kitchen where the outlets generally have two branches (The SP30 does have two supplies).

Adding a 240 volt circuit to most houses is trivial and cheap. If you can afford 4K for a mining device, you can afford another 50-200 dollars for a new circuit or, worst case, a new panel with a new circuit. I find this argument disengenuous. Calling out a company for missing their target is fine and dandy. From what I've seen, Spondoolies has acknowledged that they made some errors and are working to rectify it. But bitching about a circuit or two is just plain trolling. This is high school level stuff.

To those of you who don't know how to do it and/or are afraid to, an electrician is not THAT expensive. It boggles me how people are willing to spend a small fortune on these devices and then bitch because they have to spend a pittance more to make their house compatible with the CLEARLY commercial grade equipment.
bbxx

Activity: 728

cryptoshark

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 07:45:52 AM

It is good idea to create seperate thread, sp30 only, technical discussion and help, created by you or Guy.
That way all discussions regarding shipping, compensation, future batches and trolling would be off topic Nd you can move them to this thread if they have any value.

my trust rating is false, i have not scammed anyone.
repairguy

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 08:29:37 AM

Adding a 240 volt circuit to most houses is trivial and cheap. If you can afford 4K for a mining device, you can afford another 50-200 dollars for a new circuit or, worst case, a new panel with a new circuit. I find this argument disengenuous. Calling out a company for missing their target is fine and dandy. From what I've seen, Spondoolies has acknowledged that they made some errors and are working to rectify it. But bitching about a circuit or two is just plain trolling. This is high school level stuff.

I agree, even if people don't know how to do it themselves, Electricians aren't that expensive, and surely they have a buddy that would do it for a few beers. Or maybe not. Still, couple hundred bucks isn't that much.

I don't think any situation would ever exist when a new panel is necessary.
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 08:42:10 AM

Another shout out to the excellent support from Spondoolies and Zvisha who just spent hours on my second hand SP10 getting it working remotely. Amazing! You don't get that sort of support from anyone else in this industry. Thats why I trust that the compensation plan for SP30 will be fair, because time after time in my dealings with this company they have hit it out of the park in terms of service and delivery.

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 08:54:30 AM

I agree, even if people don't know how to do it themselves, Electricians aren't that expensive, and surely they have a buddy that would do it for a few beers. Or maybe not. Still, couple hundred bucks isn't that much.

There are quite a few houses with 100 amp services that were made in the late 70's. That's pushing it. But a 150 Amp is only about 60 bucks if you look around. Also, if you want more than one of these beasts, a 300 amp may be a good idea. But that's a bit more money. Still a pittance by comparison to the miners themselves.
edgar
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 08:59:06 AM

And at this point EVERY new person coming to this thread asking relevant question about noise, voltage, rate, warranty, delivery  or whatever will get into conversation with a troll before I even wake up.

Are you completely unaware of roadstress's behaviour on EVERY other manufacturers threads over the past 2 months??

why do you spend so much time & energy only replying to trolls & ass-kissers when there are relevant questions being asked??
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:06:41 AM

I was one of the people who pushed on a refund policy. I was repeatedly told it was not necessary because it was going to ship on time and on spec. In other words, unethical and misleading statements meant to bring orders, which not only seemed so at the time, but which we now know in hindsight have been proven to be misleading.

I don't troll on other manufacturer's threads. I mostly ignore them because I already consider them untrustworthy and disreputable already. This one seemed like it might be different, but it really isn't. Same pre-order promises and shifting of risk to the customer, and same result (customer screwed).

Yes they messed up and these things happen, but all I can say is, if you trust them again, shame on you. If anyone buys a miner from these guys that doesn't ship from stock with a tested and third-party reviewed design, you get what you deserve.

Likely my last word on the subject, as Spondoolies now gets grouped in with all the rest of the untrustworthy manufacturers pitching pre-order deals that I largely ignore.

repairguy

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:10:11 AM

There are quite a few houses with 100 amp services that were made in the late 70's. That's pushing it. But a 150 Amp is only about 60 bucks if you look around. Also, if you want more than one of these beasts, a 300 amp may be a good idea. But that's a bit more money. Still a pittance by comparison to the miners themselves.

My house is all electric with 100amp service, but I was making the comparison between the stated spec and actual spec.  If they had the power to run the machine on 120v then the actual machine usage difference on 240v isn't going to make a difference.

The biggest problem with 70s houses is aluminum wire.  Even if I could run a machine on 120v, I would have a dedicated circuit installed anyway.  That aluminum wire is a fire hazard.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:12:05 AM

To upgrade from an 100amp service to a 200 amp service where I live is 2500 bucks to install flat rate..low end which is a very easy switch in my case anyway I was told..
....all the electrician's in this area charge the same rate.....the city I am in requires that the local utility shut down service and also that the electrical inspector and an electrician ARE PRESENT and it is signed off by the Electrical Inspector before the power utility can turn the power back on..so essentially you are paying for the utility service the electrician and the electrical inspector to stand around...and pay them for the morning shot ..to get everyone there...

and yes I asked 4 Electrical contractors they were all within $100 usd of each other and also if ....say the elec inspector or electrician is not on site when this
is done..then you guessed it ..the utility company will not turn power back on....a big headache

will try to slip by with the 100amp..don't have house a/c nor forced air furnace nor major other drains on the elec panel ....so should be OK the panel and wiring
is modern....

but heat out of the basement is my current challenge oh...and again this is CITY rules....along with the State rules and I think just the local utility protecting
their butt cause everybody else is so anal about all this!

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
adam3us

Activity: 404
Merit: 359

in bitcoin we trust

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 09:12:58 AM

Speaking for myself:

compensation plan based on a decrease in performance from 5.4 TH when Guy advertised 6 - 6.5TH is disingenuous.

I dunno.  5.4TH was the stated target.  The 6TH figure was a burst objective the way I read it - something like it might even go as fast as, but no promises.  Obviously there is some margin that cant be 100% simulated with the overclock to the limit and then step back model.

assert that substandard performance at 110 volts is not a problem because customers can always host in a datacenter

thats a canard, if you were paying attention on the thread, it was long discussed and advertised that you do not get full performance on 110v.

Now I live in europe where 240v is standard, but apparently even in the US/Canada you do actually have 220v just split in two parts and its a matter of getting a little y-cable and you can do it in a home also.  So buy the cable already, sure it cant cost more than $5 on ebay.

A compensation plan that doesn't consider customer losses due to decreased power efficiency is disingenuous.

If I read it right you are not actually a customer right?  I presume people who are customers are asking privately.

I am not sure if they are open to compensating more than the hashrate, but you'd have to realise that people dont negotiate bulk discounts, comp plans related to their location etc on public list.  Guy hinted at this multiple times in the past.

ST need to directly and openly acknowledge these issues and address them fairly and promptly if they want to regain the trust of this community.

I think its fair to say they've been more open than any other mining manufacturer, throughout the process and more responsive to technical issues, bug fixes in firmware etc.

Feel free to buy S3 if thats what you want.

Without reference to any particular mining outfit, SP have pledged to not self-mine / compete with their customers and decentralise the hash rate.  That means they have to make a profit by selling hardware to grow.  If you want to support that ethical stance, it means you want to support spondoolies if you care about bitcoin decentralisation.  Maybe go complain to the competitors who are mining like fury in huge data centers and selling used equipment "without preorder" after they've mined 90% of the profit out of it.

I have some SP10s and am personally considering buying some SP30.  I would be happy to do that at break-even to support decentralisation and thereby financially support a company that is trying to do the right thing with hashrate decentralisation.  It'd be nice to make a small profit on top, but I am not focussed on it.

Adam

[Disclaimer I do some crypto consulting for SP, speaking for myself with no inside info above]

hashcash, committed transactions, homomorphic values, blind kdf; researching decentralization, scalability and fungibility/anonymity
repairguy

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:16:21 AM

Speaking for myself:

Now I live in europe where 240v is standard, but apparently even in the US/Canada you do actually have 220v just split in two parts and its a matter of getting a little y-cable and you can do it in a home also.  So buy the cable already, sure it cant cost more than $5 on ebay.

Europe has 220v single phase, usa has 240v split phase.  Not a simple cable to have 240v outlet in usa.  Minimum of a new breaker. Usually requires new breaker and new wire to new outlet.
zvisha

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 09:55:52 AM

And at this point EVERY new person coming to this thread asking relevant question about noise, voltage, rate, warranty, delivery  or whatever will get into conversation with a troll before I even wake up.

Are you completely unaware of roadstress's behaviour on EVERY other manufacturers threads over the past 2 months??
why do you spend so much time & energy only replying to trolls & ass-kissers when there are relevant questions being asked??

I am not, I only read this thread, I really hope that RS does not behave like the trolls here. "relevant questions being asked" - I think I answer all technical questions, please repeat your question if I missed it.

Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2014, 10:30:59 AM

Feel free to browse his post history. though if i were he i would be deleting like a madman right about now.

i asked about shipped order numbers as it appears there are less than a handful in the wild.

and im also interested in factual details of the 'compensation package'.

while they are not technical questions i am confident they deserve acknowledgement.

i pray this is not lumped in the troll category

Edgar,
You're certainly not a troll.
The compensation details will become public in the following week or so.
We're producing, testing and shipping, whenever we get the next batch of tested ASICs.
We can't tell exact date per exact order#

Guy

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
raskul

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 03, 2014, 10:39:15 AM

Feel free to browse his post history. though if i were he i would be deleting like a madman right about now.

i asked about shipped order numbers as it appears there are less than a handful in the wild.

and im also interested in factual details of the 'compensation package'.

while they are not technical questions i am confident they deserve acknowledgement.

i pray this is not lumped in the troll category

respect. i've enjoyed seeing the way SP-Tech have put the compensation package together with the web page etc, very user friendly company in all and good to see you discussing.
Here's what i'd make for compensation; 1 hosted SP10 for 6 months 3 months (perhaps getting abit overgenerous to 6months lol). but as you know i'm in no way affiliated to SP-Tech apart from the rigs they deliver.

easy peasy.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Pages: « 1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 [258] 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 ... 725 »
  Print  

Jump to: