Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 01:21:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 501 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][CLAM] CLAMs, Proof-Of-Chain, Proof-Of-Working-Stake, a.k.a. "Clamcoin"  (Read 1150748 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
btc2155123

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 07:30:54 AM

I imported my wallet multiple times and it didn't work but I also had a private key so I entered the private key using the console and I got credited with seven 4.6 deposits. 6 from importwallet and 1 from the private key. Why did the importwallet keys not credit until I entered a private key?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2015, 08:29:17 AM

I imported my wallet multiple times and it didn't work but I also had a private key so I entered the private key using the console and I got credited with seven 4.6 deposits. 6 from importwallet and 1 from the private key. Why did the importwallet keys not credit until I entered a private key?

One reason could be that your wallet was encrypted, and you did not type in the correct password. The Clam client does not give a warning if the password for the imported wallet is wrong.
The way you can check if the "import" went good or bad, is to not what receive address there is in your Clam client, when the import is correct, then is all the imported address converted and added to the list.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 02:32:24 PM

One reason could be that your wallet was encrypted, and you did not type in the correct password. The Clam client does not give a warning if the password for the imported wallet is wrong.
The way you can check if the "import" went good or bad, is to not what receive address there is in your Clam client, when the import is correct, then is all the imported address converted and added to the list.

He was credited with 7 deposits from just typing 1 private key, so clearly the wallet import before had actually worked. Each private key gets no more than 3 deposits, and most only get 1.

It sounds to me like the closed the client before the wallet import had had a chance to do a full rescan of the blockchain, but maybe it's some other issue. Last time I tried it, the import process wasn't very responsive. The client would just appear to lock up for long periods of time. You need to wait for it to finish doing what it's doing and for it to become responsive again.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2015, 08:06:49 PM

So, I've been following CLAM since December and I've become a clam investor of sorts. One thing that I've noticed is the difficulty involved in not only explaining the claim process (from Btc/ltc/doge) but also the proof-of-stake process as well. What I'd like to do for CLAM is produce a video similar to the famous bitcoin video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo (Yes, I know there is a clam video, but I think a better one with a voiceover is needed). I think getting more people educated and introduced to CLAM would help. People seem interested, but when people have tried to explain it, you can see some puzzlement, even with the bitcoin crowd.

I've produced a couple of them before using an animator and script writer to make a nice animated explainer-video with a professional voiceover from folks on Fiverr paid in BTC (maybe clam oneday Wink ). It would be 150 words and a minute of animation. It would be available for anyone to use on their CLAM site to explain CLAM and it's PoS process.  The videos cost roughly about $100ea, and I'd be willing to put in $40 of it to start with. I would however like to community to chip in if you're willing to help out. I'm sure another trusted community member would be willing to escrow it as well if you don't feel like you can work with/trust me.

If you're interested, PM me or post here to get it started. Cheesy
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 10:31:55 PM

The videos cost roughly about $100ea, and I'd be willing to put in $40 of it to start with. I would however like to community to chip in if you're willing to help out. I'm sure another trusted community member would be willing to escrow it as well if you don't feel like you can work with/trust me.

I'd be willing to help out with the cost of production too. I can also escrow the coins if that helps.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Dynamic Index

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:14:36 AM

Hey guys I made a video advertising clam coin, hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QM_A7jdfiU

I have a more animated one in the works.  Stay tuned in the coming weeks.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 04:20:45 AM

Well, I am glad I ended up downloading the Clam wallet and importing as I found more clams than I originally thought I had left as I had dug some manually before.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 03:37:55 PM

Well, I am glad I ended up downloading the Clam wallet and importing as I found more clams than I originally thought I had left as I had dug some manually before.

Same here actually since I followed the Yacuna guide recently and forgot to use listaddressinggroups last time on Core
https://yacuna.com/blog/get-clam-coins-for-free/

Kind of forgot that function existed and that technically I'm in control of a lot more than 1 address under that main address ^^

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
SuperClam (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1002

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 06:06:16 PM

Same here actually since I followed the Yacuna guide recently and forgot to use listaddressinggroups last time on Core
https://yacuna.com/blog/get-clam-coins-for-free/
Kind of forgot that function existed and that technically I'm in control of a lot more than 1 address under that main address ^^

This is the reason we have repeatedly warned users about the existence of "change" addresses and suggested that users claim, whenever possible, via the CLAM client "Import Wallet" method.

On the plus side: glad you both got it worked out Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623147
Proof-Of-Chain, 100% Distributed BEFORE Launch.
Everyone who owned BTC, LTC, or DOGE at launch got free CLAMS.
madmartyk
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1030

Yes I am a pirate, 300 years too late!

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 06:20:29 PM

One issue is that all docs say to empty your addresses, after they are imported can you use them again?

dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 06:32:10 PM

One issue is that all docs say to empty your addresses, after they are imported can you use them again?

Importing your BTC wallet copies your BTC private keys into your CLAM wallet.

If you keep your CLAM wallet safe, and trust the CLAM client not to upload the private keys anywhere, there's no need to empty the BTC addresses, or to stop using them. But if you don't want to have to evaluate whether you can trust the CLAM client, it's easier just to retire your old BTC wallet and make a new one.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
SuperClam (OP)

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 06:41:55 PM

There is no "requirement" to empty addresses before claiming them.
It is recommended that users empty addresses before claiming as a precautionary measure.

It is important to remember that any individual can produce software to interact with the CLAM network.
Some third-party software into which CLAM wallets are imported, or even the CLAM client itself, could theoretically be compromised at some point in the unknown future.

Ensuring the addresses/keys are empty and retired before claiming takes the guess-work out of security.
If the keys are empty, a large group of possible security issues are pro-actively prevented.

It is important to mention that we do not expect and have not heard of any such situation.

This is a preventative measure that simply fits the measure of common sense.

EDIT:

Importing your BTC wallet copies your BTC private keys into your CLAM wallet.
If you keep your CLAM wallet safe, and trust the CLAM client not to upload the private keys anywhere, there's no need to empty the BTC addresses, or to stop using them. But if you don't want to have to evaluate whether you can trust the CLAM client, it's easier just to retire your old BTC wallet and make a new one.

Indeed Grin

Peace of mind at the expense of a transaction fee is a "no-brainer".

SuperClam (OP)

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 08:00:40 PM
Last edit: March 26, 2015, 10:48:12 PM by SuperClam

Cross-posted over in the mining sub-forum.

If anyone has personal experience with staking CLAM and how it is similar to Proof-Of-Work (compared to other Proof-Of-Stake alternatives), your opinions and experiences would likely be helpful:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1003792

EDIT:

It appears that the post was removed by the moderator mprep.
The reason: "Pointless promotion / Ad spam."

The intent was to inform the thousands of users who likely have CLAM "stake-rigs" unclaimed and idle.

The post did have a link to Just-Dice
I figured that the parallels between proof-of-work mining and CLAM staking, and the fact that JD provides a stake-pool analogous to a mining pool, made it relevant.

Subsequently, I noticed that our moderator mprep has a PrimeDice signature.
I doubt that is the reason for the removal of the thread, but I fail to see how the thread was "Ad spam".

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 1239

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 11:52:23 PM

Cross-posted over in the mining sub-forum.

If anyone has personal experience with staking CLAM and how it is similar to Proof-Of-Work (compared to other Proof-Of-Stake alternatives), your opinions and experiences would likely be helpful:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1003792

EDIT:

It appears that the post was removed by the moderator mprep.
The reason: "Pointless promotion / Ad spam."

The intent was to inform the thousands of users who likely have CLAM "stake-rigs" unclaimed and idle.

The post did have a link to Just-Dice.  
I figured that the parallels between proof-of-work mining and CLAM staking, and the fact that JD provides a stake-pool analogous to a mining pool, made it relevant.

Subsequently, I noticed that our moderator mprep has a PrimeDice signature.
I doubt that is the reason for the removal of the thread, but I fail to see how the thread was "Ad spam".

He is a XMR cheerleader too I believe.

Just repost it and post the reason why you think it isn't spam ect @ the top of the post for the first few days.

If it gets removed again, then fuck off because the next one will be a few day ban off the forums.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin.
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins every 10 minutes.
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 02:13:31 AM

I don't know if anyone noticed the CLAM difficulty dropped through the floor over the last couple of hours.

That was my fault. I was debugging a hang-up in the Just-Dice wallet, left the wallet running in a terminal ssh'ed into a remote server from my laptop, and left the laptop while I went outside for a break.

The laptop suspended itself, causing the clamd on the remote server to hang up and stop staking.

Here are charts of the network difficulty:

It's pretty much back to normal now - but for an hour or so it was much easier to stake than normal.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Eldes

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 02:45:06 AM

Have anybody installed it on ARCH LINUX?
Thank you!

kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:24:29 AM

Wow that was a massive drop in difficulty indeed. Amazing how much of the network JD is Wink
chilly2k
Legendary

Activity: 1007
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:59:31 AM

I don't know if anyone noticed the CLAM difficulty dropped through the floor over the last couple of hours.

That was my fault. I was debugging a hang-up in the Just-Dice wallet, left the wallet running in a terminal ssh'ed into a remote server from my laptop, and left the laptop while I went outside for a break.

The laptop suspended itself, causing the clamd on the remote server to hang up and stop staking.

It's pretty much back to normal now - but for an hour or so it was much easier to stake than normal.

Hahaha, speak for your self.  I got no stakes from this.  Even thought I have several hundred outputs ready to stake.  The last time this happened the block chain actually started to slow down.  This was the multiple little withdrawal issue.  At that time I think I noticed almost 30 mins between a few blocks. 

dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 05:21:33 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2015, 05:42:44 AM by dooglus

Hahaha, speak for your self.  I got no stakes from this.  Even thought I have several hundred outputs ready to stake.  The last time this happened the block chain actually started to slow down.  This was the multiple little withdrawal issue.  At that time I think I noticed almost 30 mins between a few blocks.  

Well, it was about 10 times easier than usual to stake at its easiest.

We're back to normal now. The fall and rise look very similar:

Edit: oh, and I meant to say: the difficulty wouldn't drop if the blockchain didn't slow down - that's entirely how the difficulty is set. If the blocks are coming too slowly, the difficulty drops to make them come more often, and vice versa.

Here's a chart showing the time between blocks over the same period:

When JD first stopped staking. There's no gap much longer than 10 minutes it seems:

And when JD restarted staking:

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 06:43:15 AM

Well that was one way of measuring the mining power of Just-Dice
I must say that is quite impressive though
(1 Hour of good staking for everyone else Tongue)

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: « 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 [138] 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 501 »
  Print  

Jump to: