Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:59:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... 501 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][CLAM] CLAMs, Proof-Of-Chain, Proof-Of-Working-Stake, a.k.a. "Clamcoin"  (Read 1150753 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 06:21:15 PM

I think I found a bug in presstab's CLAM blockchain explorer.

Compare the balance shown here:
  http://www.presstab.pw/phpexplorer/CLAM/address.php?address=xA8UkspL1WwC5KWMzi7jXvo4fXj1pRTk9v
here:
  http://www.blocktree.io/address/CLAM/xA8UkspL1WwC5KWMzi7jXvo4fXj1pRTk9v
and here:
  http://khashier.com/chain/Clam/q/addressbalance/xA8UkspL1WwC5KWMzi7jXvo4fXj1pRTk9v

presstab.pw shows a balance of 97.149200 CLAM, but I just emptied out the last ~2k CLAM from that address, so I think the true balance is zero, which blocktree and khashier agree with.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
presstab
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

Blockchain Developer

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 07:17:27 PM

I think I found a bug in presstab's CLAM blockchain explorer.

Compare the balance shown here:
  http://www.presstab.pw/phpexplorer/CLAM/address.php?address=xA8UkspL1WwC5KWMzi7jXvo4fXj1pRTk9v
here:
  http://www.blocktree.io/address/CLAM/xA8UkspL1WwC5KWMzi7jXvo4fXj1pRTk9v
and here:
  http://khashier.com/chain/Clam/q/addressbalance/xA8UkspL1WwC5KWMzi7jXvo4fXj1pRTk9v

presstab.pw shows a balance of 97.149200 CLAM, but I just emptied out the last ~2k CLAM from that address, so I think the true balance is zero, which blocktree and khashier agree with.

Fixed.... these next few days I will be redesigning a few things, including orphan handling, which is what caused this error.

Projects I Contribute To: libzerocoin | Veil | PIVX | HyperStake | Crown | SaluS
chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 08:15:36 PM

Along these lines, I seem to be getting a lot of clients connecting to me, that are not up to sync.  They end up killing my bandwidth.  I have to stop/start the client.  
Last time I checked it was 8 out of 40 connections were not even close to the current block height.    I'm going to start writing down the connections and initial block height before I recycle, and see if there is a pattern.

Otherwise is there a setting to limit the number of new connections that require syncing?  

I'm having problems with large syncs hogging my outbound bandwidth too, and now I see that my IP is now listed as an addnode in the OP of this thread. Wink  Shocked

It should be possible to add code to drop the connection if the connecting peer reports a height well below yours, but that's a kind of rude thing to do in a peer to peer network. I doubt the official client would ever support anything like this.

Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be an option to send at most X (older only?) blocks to a new peer, or perhaps some sort of outbound bandwidth rate limiting.

I have no problem with the new clients syncing, I'm often on the other side of the equation.  It would be nice if the client kept track of nodes that were syncing and only allow X number to be syncing at the same time.  Once a client gets up to speed allow another to join.  I make this problem even worse because I run a daemon on linux for staking, and the full client on windows to see whats going on.  So I can end up with a lot of new connections.     

I was testing out maxconnections, and noticed I had 6 connections and 4 of those were still syncing.  I think as the price of clams climbs, the number of new clients will grow too.  People getting the wallet to see if they have unclaimed clams. 

Interesting, sort of like initial seeding for torrents.
chriswen

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 08:17:30 PM

I have a few noob questions.
I have my clams in my wallet, they are staking but even though I have quite a few, it is only expected to stake every 49710 days! how can that be?
I moved them to my wallet on Saturday, but the age hasn't increased.  They are still staking at 1 per CLAM, does the age only increase when I have the client open? Can they only stake when it is open?

Does it matter that I use 1.4.3.0? The new ones want to re-index, so I am not in a hurry to update!

I'm pretty sure that in all of the POS coins you can only stake when your wallet is open.  If you're not connected, you're not in the race.  I'm not an expert (and many others in this thread actually are experts) but if I understand correctly, POS is a lot like POW in that you are racing against others to find a hash that fulfills certain criteria.

Actually most POS coins have age and you can't rewards based on the age. Clam has a system where there is no age. So only the people that are online more and secure the network get more rewards.

So to reiterate, clams doesn't have age.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 08:48:27 PM

I have my clams in my wallet, they are staking but even though I have quite a few, it is only expected to stake every 49710 days! how can that be?
I moved them to my wallet on Saturday, but the age hasn't increased.  They are still staking at 1 per CLAM, does the age only increase when I have the client open? Can they only stake when it is open?

Does it matter that I use 1.4.3.0? The new ones want to re-index, so I am not in a hurry to update!

I'm pretty sure that in all of the POS coins you can only stake when your wallet is open.  If you're not connected, you're not in the race.  I'm not an expert (and many others in this thread actually are experts) but if I understand correctly, POS is a lot like POW in that you are racing against others to find a hash that fulfills certain criteria.

Actually most POS coins have age and you can't rewards based on the age. Clam has a system where there is no age. So only the people that are online more and secure the network get more rewards.

Right, this is the "proof of working stake" thing.  I had forgotten bout this when trying to answer bitcoiner2015's question.  Clam is not really POS or POW but a hybrid.
chriswen

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 08:56:00 PM

Right, this is the "proof of working stake" thing.  I had forgotten bout this when trying to answer bitcoiner2015's question.  Clam is not really POS or POW but a hybrid.

That's a really interesting way to put it. Proof of working stake sounds nice. But I wouldn't call it a hybrid POS or POW. It is still very POS like but they just changed how it works. Actually I think it can still be classified as POS because its based purely on the coins you control. Also there's not really any POW being done (yes there's hashing but it's not used as proof).
Bitcoiner2015

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 09:13:51 PM

That's a really interesting way to put it. Proof of working stake sounds nice. But I wouldn't call it a hybrid POS or POW. It is still very POS like but they just changed how it works. Actually I think it can still be classified as POS because its based purely on the coins you control. Also there's not really any POW being done (yes there's hashing but it's not used as proof).

So to effectively stake I should invest my CLAMs at Just-Dice? Is there any real downside to that?
I had thought they would constantly stake, but I only have my computer on for a few hours a day, so guess it isn't going to be worth it in the clam wallet.

I updated to the new wallet and now it says I should stake in 1 day! A big difference!
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 10:04:17 PM

So to effectively stake I should invest my CLAMs at Just-Dice? Is there any real downside to that?
I had thought they would constantly stake, but I only have my computer on for a few hours a day, so guess it isn't going to be worth it in the clam wallet.

I updated to the new wallet and now it says I should stake in 1 day! A big difference!

If you invest at Just-dice you will make more money, but you will be contributing to CLAM being centralized.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
almightyruler
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 11:49:56 PM

If you're handy with Linux or happy to learn, setting up clamd on a Raspberry Pi (or similar low power, low cost ARM based computer) may be an option to permit 24/7/365 staking. Only downside is that because RAM is limited, you'll probably only be able to run one or two coins on it. I gave up trying to run both CLAM and ORB; the computer was constantly swapping to and from the memory card (ouch).

I've currently dedicated an Odroid C1 (USD$35, quad core ARM @1.5GHz) to CLAM, but I've just realised that I could even run the daemon on my Pi based security cam... a security camera that generates coins!  Cheesy
SuperClam (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1002

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 12:10:29 AM

As with any service, there is certain amount of counter-party risk associated with keeping your coins with a third-party.  dooglus and Just-Dice happen to have a reputation for being extremely trustworthy - minimizing this risk.  In addition, at Just-Dice you are exposed to the potential of investor gains/loses.  Finally, Just-Dice takes a 10% fee/cut of staked rewards.  This fee is likely reduced (possibly entirely) by the fact that dooglus dominates the staking environment, orphaning other users who attempt to compete.

If you're handy with Linux or happy to learn, setting up clamd on a Raspberry Pi (or similar low power, low cost ARM based computer) may be an option to permit 24/7/365 staking. Only downside is that because RAM is limited, you'll probably only be able to run one or two coins on it. I gave up trying to run both CLAM and ORB; the computer was constantly swapping to and from the memory card (ouch).
I've currently dedicated an Odroid C1 (USD$35, quad core ARM @1.5GHz) to CLAM, but I've just realised that I could even run the daemon on my Pi based security cam... a security camera that generates coins!  Cheesy

Now THAT, is an interesting proposition Smiley

Anyone want to beat 21 Inc. to market with crypto producing consumer goods? Cheesy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623147
Proof-Of-Chain, 100% Distributed BEFORE Launch.
Everyone who owned BTC, LTC, or DOGE at launch got free CLAMS.
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 12:13:48 AM

Now THAT, is an interesting proposition Smiley

Anyone want to beat 21 Inc. to market with crypto producing consumer goods? Cheesy

LOL

It makes WAY more sense to stake with a toaster than hash with a toster.

That is a really really funny idea.

I had an idea about using a Tesla for staking my CLAMS and even made the down payment, but the idea got shot down Cry.

Edit: Shot down is too strong.  More like the idea was tabled. Smiley

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 12:28:39 AM

Maybe you could have something like Tamagotchi's or little digital pets staking(digging?) for clams.
I know an order of magnitude of better hardware would be required, not sure if it can be made small enough yet.

chriswen

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 02:15:24 AM

CLAM staking requires barely any CPU power. You just need internet and coins.
SuperClam (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1002

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 02:23:13 AM

Oddly, it may also incentivize manufacturers to design for long-term durability, as opposed to planned obsolescence Tongue
At least that would be the way to maximize your stake potential, as more coins == more stakes Tongue

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623147
Proof-Of-Chain, 100% Distributed BEFORE Launch.
Everyone who owned BTC, LTC, or DOGE at launch got free CLAMS.
rocoro
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 02:48:21 AM

Oddly, it may also incentivize manufacturers to design for long-term durability, as opposed to planned obsolescence Tongue
At least that would be the way to maximize your stake potential, as more coins == more stakes Tongue

I was referring to a Tamagotchi not having enough power (doesn't even have wifi), which I doubt it has enough.
But this also poses a question in my mind.  

Would it be better for 1,000's of little "digital pets" staking 1 coin each.  Or more per digital pet?
Maybe it doesn't matter?  I just thought maybe they would be split up better.

I hope I wouldn't lose any of my little pets though lol.

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 02:51:25 AM

I was referring to a Tamagotchi not having enough power, which I doubt it has enough.
But this also poses a question in my mind. 

Would it be better for 1,000's of little "digital pets" staking 1 coin each.  Or more per digital pet?
Maybe it doesn't matter?  I just thought maybe they would be split up better.

I hope I wouldn't lose any of my little pets though lol.

1 coin per pet Tongue

Teddy miners

almightyruler
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 07:45:38 AM

And RAM, unfortunately. clamd on my Odroid C1 currently consumes 400MB worth of it, but I've seen it go higher.

I guess there may be a way to lightweight stake by only keeping track of a relatively recent set of blocks - enough to be confident that we're on the best chain - plus any older ones that contain transactions which directly involve our addresses/accounts.
chilly2k
Legendary

Activity: 1007

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 12:05:15 PM

If you invest at Just-dice you will make more money, but you will be contributing to CLAM being centralized.

I had to see how this played out. 

from 6/22 - 6/29 I staked 41.0029 clams  the starting size was about 2450

So 7 day at an average of 5.8576 per day.  Would give .00239 %

I always see .002% just staking on JD.  which would be 4.9 clams per day. 

So in my case staking alone is much better an extra 6.7 clams in 7 days.  or 350 clams a year. 

This was a small sample and your mileage may vary.  But it does show that staking solo can be done and can compete with JD. 

There were 2 orphans in the sample.   And I believe one was when I was staking a new block of 250 clams and splitting the output into blocks of 5.

I think that took 2 tries. 

dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 05:33:40 PM

I guess there may be a way to lightweight stake by only keeping track of a relatively recent set of blocks - enough to be confident that we're on the best chain - plus any older ones that contain transactions which directly involve our addresses/accounts.

Unfortunately, in order to validate new blocks you need to check that the transactions in that block are legally spending the coins they spend. And those coins could have been created in any previous block. So you need the whole blockchain (or at least a complete set of unspent outputs).

Also, while it isn't strictly necessary for you to include other people's transactions in your blocks, it's pretty rude not to. And so you need the blockchain to validate that the transactions you include are valid.

The Just-Dice hot wallet is currently using 1.51 Gb of virtual memory, with a resident set size of 491 Mb,
and the staking wallet is using 1.74 Gb of virtual memory, with a resident set size of 607 Mb.

I have a clamd running on my laptop which has been running for 24 hours with a new clean wallet. It has seen no transactions of its own.
It is using 1.41 Gb of virtual memory, with a resident set size of 245 Mb.
If I restart it and wait for it to load up the (tiny) wallet, it uses 1.04 Gb of virtual memory, with a resident set size of 401 Mb.

So yeah - it's kind of hungry. I'm sure there are things we can do to reduce its memory footprint if that seems worth doing to anyone.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 05:36:13 PM

from 6/22 - 6/29 I staked 41.0029 clams  the starting size was about 2450

So 7 day at an average of 5.8576 per day.  Would give .00239 %

You need to multiply by 100 to get percentage numbers. 1% of 2450 is 24.5, so the ~6 per day you're seeing is about a quarter of that, or about 0.25%.

Edit: I would encourage you try keep solo-staking for another month, and post your stats at the end of each week. I would be interested to see how much variance you experience, and whether you continue to outperform JD on average. I think it would be a close call, but from the analysis I've done I would expect the ~14% orphan rate you get solo staking to overwhelm the 10% commission that JD charges. It's possible that my calculation of the orphan rate is wrong. Are you saying you only saw 2 orphans in 43 staked blocks, one of which you attribute to your own activity? If so, that's much lower than I would expect.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Pages: « 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 ... 501 »
  Print  

Jump to: