Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:15:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 80 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BAMT version 0.5 - Easy USB based mining Linux with farm wide management tools  (Read 324103 times)
lodcrappo (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 10:41:02 PM

Im back to square one: the usb-stick problem is gone.

bamt.conf wont apply overclocking, the values set are known stable clocks for this particular card. The card in question is a 5870, core voltage 1.16 core clock 970.
My workaround to this is to stop mining and run:
                                                                  atitweak --set-core-voltage=1.16
                                                                  atitweak --set engine-clock=970
And then restart mining.

Would you mind doing this to confirm bamt is understanding your config:

while mining, in a root shell or from ssh, type:

pcontrol

press d
press f
press enter

you will see a screen like this:

Make sure the O/C info (shaded purple in shot above, but won't be in real life)  matches what you set in bamt.conf

use up down arrow to check all your GPUs

let me know

On my test rig I run pcontrol, hit d and then f and it bombs out like this.
Code:
 BAMT                                                                    miner1Exception in thread Thread-1:
 Display   GPUs   Pools   CoTraceback (most recent call last):
                                                                File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", linCurrent Pool: pit.deepbit.net
                                                          self.run()
  Hash: 305.334 Mh/s         Pools File: /etc/bamt/pools              File "/opt/bamt/pcontrolADLT.py", liPool Strategy: priority failover
   A/R: 98/0                     Kernel: phatk2f.scr.addstr(top + x,rt, ("%" + s   Rej: 0.00% "s") % " ") Kernel Params: BFI_INT VECTORS FASTLOOP=false AGG..
  Stat: got              error: addstr() returned ERR
   Que: 0/0
  Dlay: 164ms                                                            miner1
   Eff: 33.3%

pcontrol is still very alpha, not intended for normal use at all. 

try making window bigger, sometimes it gets confused.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitMinerN8

Activity: 626
Merit: 500

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 11:12:06 PM

Im back to square one: the usb-stick problem is gone.

bamt.conf wont apply overclocking, the values set are known stable clocks for this particular card. The card in question is a 5870, core voltage 1.16 core clock 970.
My workaround to this is to stop mining and run:
                                                                  atitweak --set-core-voltage=1.16
                                                                  atitweak --set engine-clock=970
And then restart mining.

Would you mind doing this to confirm bamt is understanding your config:

while mining, in a root shell or from ssh, type:

pcontrol

press d
press f
press enter

you will see a screen like this:

Make sure the O/C info (shaded purple in shot above, but won't be in real life)  matches what you set in bamt.conf

use up down arrow to check all your GPUs

let me know

On my test rig I run pcontrol, hit d and then f and it bombs out like this.
Code:
 BAMT                                                                    miner1Exception in thread Thread-1:
 Display   GPUs   Pools   CoTraceback (most recent call last):
                                                                File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", linCurrent Pool: pit.deepbit.net
                                                          self.run()
  Hash: 305.334 Mh/s         Pools File: /etc/bamt/pools              File "/opt/bamt/pcontrolADLT.py", liPool Strategy: priority failover
   A/R: 98/0                     Kernel: phatk2f.scr.addstr(top + x,rt, ("%" + s   Rej: 0.00% "s") % " ") Kernel Params: BFI_INT VECTORS FASTLOOP=false AGG..
  Stat: got              error: addstr() returned ERR
   Que: 0/0
  Dlay: 164ms                                                            miner1
   Eff: 33.3%

pcontrol is still very alpha, not intended for normal use at all. 

try making window bigger, sometimes it gets confused.

Something else that is strange, I can't use the atitweek tool:
Code:
root@miner1:~# atitweak --set-engine-clock=970
Setting performance level 0 on adapter 0: engine clock 970MHz
Setting performance level 1 on adapter 0: engine clock 970MHz
Setting performance level 2 on adapter 0: engine clock 970MHz
ADL_Overdrive5_ODPerformanceLevels_Set failed.
root@miner1:~# atitweak --set-memory-clock=300
Setting performance level 0 on adapter 0: memory clock 300MHz
Setting performance level 1 on adapter 0: memory clock 300MHz
Setting performance level 2 on adapter 0: memory clock 300MHz
ADL_Overdrive5_ODPerformanceLevels_Set failed.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 12:52:28 AM

Somebody who is having trouble with overclocking, please install fix1a and add the debug_oc option to GPU with trouble. 
I can't recreate here, so need the info it provides.

Adds debugging option for GPU O/c   

To enable debugging, add:

debug_oc: 1

to any GPU section in bamt.conf.

You will then see additional information whenever the O/C routine runs,
for instance when doing:  mine restart
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 01:05:51 AM

Is this distro easy to use for a 'BitForce SHA256 Single' set up, also can it easily merge mine BTC, NMC and LTC on P2Pool, plus can I use the Ubuntu 'Startup Disk Creator' to put it on USB?  Thanks.

lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 01:10:44 AM

Is this distro easy to use for a 'BitForce SHA256 Single' set up,

untested, but should work with cgminer mode.  not as easy as most setups are.

also can it easily merge mine BTC, NMC and LTC on P2Pool,

p2pool requires a local wallet afaik.  that is absolutely not supported on bamt, due to running on USB.

plus can I use the Ubuntu 'Startup Disk Creator' to put it on USB?  Thanks.

Maybe, but you are on your own unless you use the recommended tools.
m3ta

Activity: 435
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 01:16:34 AM

p2pool requires a local wallet afaik.  that is absolutely not supported on bamt, due to running on USB.

P2pool has a "-a" option to specify a wallet address on its startup, that can obviously be located somewhere else.

Why the frell so many retards spell "ect" as an abbreviation of "Et Cetera"? "ETC", DAMMIT! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_cetera

Host:/# rm -rf /var/forum/trolls
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 01:19:19 AM

P2pool has a "-a" option to specify a wallet address on its startup, that can obviously be located somewhere else.

I guess here is the best way to say it: 

If p2pool can work like every other pool, then it is supported.
If not, it is not currently supported.
If there is some safe, reasonable way to run p2pool on BAMT that requires some changes, let me know what they are and I will consider making them.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 01:23:55 AM

p2pool doesn't require a local wallet. You just need to point your miner to a machine running p2pool and any *coind's you wish to mine. That machine should absolutley not be a BAMT machine. I have 3 BAMT rigs merged mining on p2pool with cgminer. The non BAMT machine is the one I have to spend the most time on.  Tongue

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 01:26:13 AM

p2pool doesn't require a local wallet. You just need to point your miner to a machine running p2pool and any *coind's you wish to mine. That machine should absolutley not be a BAMT machine. I have 3 BAMT rigs merged mining on p2pool with cgminer. The non BAMT machine is the one I have to spend the most time on.  Tongue

OK, so I guess the best answer is that BAMT rigs are fine as client miners for p2pool, but the p2pool software itself cannot be run on bamt?
Sorry not familiar with it.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 01:31:41 AM

OK, so I guess the best answer is that BAMT rigs are fine as client miners for p2pool, but the p2pool software itself cannot be run on bamt?

Yes. Even if you use -a option in p2pool you will still have to run the pool software with a lot of writes, and the full block chains of all *coind's and all the writes that come with them.  Not ideal for USB drives. 

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 02:17:36 AM

Yes. Even if you use -a option in p2pool you will still have to run the pool software with a lot of writes, and the full block chains of all *coind's and all the writes that come with them.  Not ideal for USB drives. 

This.  The p2pool "server" requires p2pool daemon running and bitcoind daemon running 24/7 creating a never ending storm of disk I/O.  BAMT doesn't support that, shouldn't support that and it would be idiotic to even try.

That being said one can put p2pool on another machine and point 1, 2, 20, 200 BAMT rigs at the p2pool instance.  BAMT works fine in that manner.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 02:18:28 AM

So was cgminer integration removed from 0.5?  bamt seems to ignore cgminer=1 in config.  I can manually start cgminer just fine but no stats are passed to gpumon, mpgumon?
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 02:34:32 AM

So was cgminer integration removed from 0.5?  bamt seems to ignore cgminer=1 in config.  I can manually start cgminer just fine but no stats are passed to gpumon, mpgumon?

No it was not removed.  Did you add to main settings section and also each gpu you want to use cgminer with?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 02:35:40 AM

So was cgminer integration removed from 0.5?  bamt seems to ignore cgminer=1 in config.  I can manually start cgminer just fine but no stats are passed to gpumon, mpgumon?

No it was not removed.  Did you add to main settings section and also each gpu you want to use cgminer with?

Yeah unless the syntax changed.  Weird that cgminer: 0 was removed from default config file.  Will play around with it.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 02:36:34 AM

No it was not removed.  Did you add to main settings section and also each gpu you want to use cgminer with?

Yeah unless the syntax changed.  Weird that cgminer = 0 was removed from default config file.  Will play around with it.

many options were removed from the default config to make it simpler for noobs.  there is an explanation of this in the file.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 02:43:44 AM

So was cgminer integration removed from 0.5?  bamt seems to ignore cgminer=1 in config.  I can manually start cgminer just fine but no stats are passed to gpumon, mpgumon?

No it was not removed.  Did you add to main settings section and also each gpu you want to use cgminer with?

Yeah unless the syntax changed.  Weird that cgminer = 0 was removed from default config file.  Will play around with it.

many options were removed from the default config to make it simpler for noobs.  there is an explanation of this in the file.

Thanks I must have had too many or few spaces.  It is working now. Just an alternative point of view I don't think missing options is more noob friendly.  Noob wants to use cgminer it is easier to say change cgminer: 0 to cgminer: 1 set "blah blah blah" for cgminer_opt and turn on cgminer: 1 for each GPU than to tell them the options are missing, they can find the syntax in the example file, make sure to get spacing right, or copy the example over their existing one and then edit.

Or maybe I am just being a noob. Smiley
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 02:48:32 AM

Yeah unless the syntax changed.  Weird that cgminer = 0 was removed from default config file.  Will play around with it.

many options were removed from the default config to make it simpler for noobs.  there is an explanation of this in the file.

Thanks I must have had too many or few spaces.  It is working now. Just an alternative point of view I don't think missing options is more noob friendly.  Noob wants to use cgminer it is easier to say change cgminer: 0 to cgminer: 1 set "blah blah blah" for cgminer_opt and turn on cgminer: 1 for each GPU than to tell them the options are missing, they can find the syntax in the example file, make sure to get spacing right, or copy the example over their existing one and then edit.

Or maybe I am just being a noob. Smiley

noobs are strongly encouraged to use phoenix.   as phoenix and/or bamt's phoenix extensions add all the features of cgminer (which is happening very quickly), there will be little reason for typical users to worry about this.  I will leave cgminer support in since some people have donated towards having it there, but i don't think there will be any reason for it otherwise.
BitMinerN8

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 03:18:10 AM

Somebody who is having trouble with overclocking, please install fix1a and add the debug_oc option to GPU with trouble. 

When trying to run fixer:
Code:
(Tombstone with RIP fixer)

One of the BAMT tools has suffered a fatal error.
Not a GLOB reference at /usr/share/perl/5.10/IO/Zlib.pm line 559.
lodcrappo (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 03:29:41 AM

Code:

that is an old bug, actually not in bamt code but some versions of a perl lib we use.  must have snuck back in at some point.
the updated version of fixer inside fix 1 actually solves that, but you can't get it if the fixer you have pukes.
i'll look into workarounds.  sometimes a reboot makes that message just goes away but not always.

BitMinerN8

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 03:41:24 AM

Code:

that is an old bug, actually not in bamt code but some versions of a perl lib we use.  must have snuck back in at some point.
the updated version of fixer inside fix 1 actually solves that, but you can't get it if the fixer you have pukes.
i'll look into workarounds.  sometimes a reboot makes that message just goes away but not always.

Sorry, coldreboot a no go.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 80 »
  Print  

Jump to: