Bitcoin Forum
December 15, 2017, 10:48:44 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 [705] 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 ... 1558 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2022643 times)
Cortex7

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 06:52:45 PM

Out of interest: Say you were given the task of designing a portfolio to survive 1000 years, what would it be comprised of?
I don't believe this is a valid question.

We don't have the slightest idea what will be valuable 1000 years from now.

I agree there will be no correct answer until those 1000 years have elapsed, but it's a perfectly valid question, giving insight into how the person answering thinks about wealth stores as long term contenders.

Myself I would stack a portfolio to last 1000 years something like this as a starting point:

50% Precious metals.
30% Bitcoin.
20% items that may be considered valuable antiques by then ( I would have to think more on that one ).

For a portfolio, with a 10 ... 50 year outlook, I would forget the antiques and have 50% Bitcoin, 50% PM.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 07:13:09 PM

Out of interest: Say you were given the task of designing a portfolio to survive 1000 years, what would it be comprised of?

I agree there will be no correct answer until those 1000 years have elapsed, but it's a perfectly valid question, giving insight into how the person answering thinks about wealth stores as long term contenders.

Myself I would stack a portfolio to last 1000 years something like this as a starting point:

50% Precious metals.
30% Bitcoin.
20% items that may be considered valuable antiques by then ( I would have to think more on that one ).

For a portfolio, with a 10 ... 50 year outlook, I would forget the antiques and have 50% Bitcoin, 50% PM.

Land

Bagatell

Activity: 722

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 07:24:27 PM

Land

Land Taxes. Who holds the keys here?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 07:39:03 PM

Btw, we have a Dow Theory bearish primary trend change in the books as both violated their Aug 7 lows.  any bounce from here is to be considered counter trend until proven otherwise.  the only question is whether we also got a Dow Theory non-confirmation:

Cortex7

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:00:03 PM

Land

Maybe a small amount in land deeds, but political borders ( and thus the security of the land deed ) are quite fluid when viewed over 1k years.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2436

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:03:27 PM

50% Precious metals.
30% Bitcoin.

1000 years?

If the value is for me: my body will be gone by then. So most valuable will be some "hardware" for "me" to run on. Some processes by which "I" can exist. Maybe something like the ethereum blockchain and a religion around it to keep it alive and for providing sensing and actuation (humans and other means).

If the storage of value is for my family or clan, cult, sect or whatever: I'd say education and sensible goals and principles for the group would be a good investment. Also means of production and probably more importantly intelligence and modelling, planning capabilities and mechanisms for acquisition and preservance of knowledge and skills.

What the hell, quite a tangent...

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:06:13 PM

back to the Bitshares thing.  i now realize that it has its own blockchain and is just a variation of the same POS scheme.  sorry, i don't study these alts.

the fact that Daniel Larimer keeps changing the protocol is concerning, not to mention his public nature and those required of the delegate nodes.  the merger with Ethereum indicates to me that both are struggling to come up with a viable solution perhaps never to be found.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1190

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 08:24:27 PM

back to the Bitshares thing.  i now realize that it has its own blockchain and is just a variation of the same POS scheme.  sorry, i don't study these alts.

the fact that Daniel Larimer keeps changing the protocol is concerning, not to mention his public nature and those required of the delegate nodes.  the merger with Ethereum indicates to me that both are struggling to come up with a viable solution perhaps never to be found.

At my first reading of it, I thought it might be an SEC honeypot.  That the SEC wanted to get in on the great deal the FBI got by seizing crypto.  After more time looking at it, it seems more to be true believers, but I still haven't figured out how it can survive being crushed by cascading failures from economic attacks.  George Soros would have a field day with it, if there ever gets to be any real money involved.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Erdogan

Activity: 840

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:38:16 PM

50% Precious metals.
30% Bitcoin.

1000 years?

If the value is for me: my body will be gone by then. So most valuable will be some "hardware" for "me" to run on. Some processes by which "I" can exist. Maybe something like the ethereum blockchain and a religion around it to keep it alive and for providing sensing and actuation (humans and other means).

If the storage of value is for my family or clan, cult, sect or whatever: I'd say education and sensible goals and principles for the group would be a good investment. Also means of production and probably more importantly intelligence and modelling, planning capabilities and mechanisms for acquisition and preservance of knowledge and skills.

Do something weird and get your name into history.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:44:57 PM

At my first reading of it, I thought it might be an SEC honeypot.  That the SEC wanted to get in on the great deal the FBI got by seizing crypto.  After more time looking at it, it seems more to be true believers, but I still haven't figured out how it can survive being crushed by cascading failures from economic attacks.  George Soros would have a field day with it, if there ever gets to be any real money involved.

More like regulatory attacks. Don't forget that rumor that came out on reddit about the SEC/FINCEN coming out with a surprise announcement soon. There's no way, imo, they are going to let share issuance go unchallenged, especially when they have public figures to attack.
Cortex7

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 08:53:54 PM

1000 years?

Alcor accepts bitcoin Cheesy

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/27yjsu/you_can_now_pay_for_your_own_cryonic_suspension/
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2436

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 09:11:11 PM

50% Precious metals.
30% Bitcoin.

1000 years?

Or maybe just have children?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1638

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 09:26:46 PM

...There's no way, imo, they are going to let share issuance go unchallenged, especially when they have public figures to attack.

Agreed:

... I think the main issue there is regulatory, though, not technological. But hey - maybe Patrick Byrne's lawyers can talk some sense into the SEC....

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Cryptoasset rankings and metrics for investors: http://onchainfx.com
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 09:27:12 PM

50% Precious metals.
30% Bitcoin.

1000 years?

Or maybe just have children?

You're better off starting a religion then tax your followers to fund a Crusades, and if leaders ever start pursuing power or the the truth, issued an edict and confiscate their wealth.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 2464

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 10:13:44 PM

... also note Charles Hoskinson has been involved with both BitShares and Ethereum at different stages.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2014, 10:36:05 PM

... also note Charles Hoskinson has been involved with both BitShares and Ethereum at different stages.
He's got quite the track record.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:06:39 PM

Yeah, his past public appearances have always been suspicious to my eyes ands ears.  Now we don't even see him anymore.

Most people are going to lose money investing in cryptocurrencies.
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:07:45 PM

Which is?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:11:09 PM

More like regulatory attacks. Don't forget that rumor that came out on reddit about the SEC/FINCEN coming out with a surprise announcement soon. There's no way, imo, they are going to let share issuance go unchallenged, especially when they have public figures to attack.

There is no fiat involved... unless you can pay taxes with btsx its not liable to SEC/FINCEN rules currently.. if they change it.. it would invalidate bitcoin aswell. Share issuance only needs to be registered legally at the gateway level between bitUSD etc and USD. Those are external entities outside of bitshares.

Merger with ethereum? They simply past ideas off of each other.. and now bitshares to be turing complete and ethereum to possible go to a more DPOS solution. I think its good for everyone.. but a merger im not sure about that.

The public image (posting his real name) is great for the crypto community and it would be bad if fiat was involved so legal system can go after him to try to shut it down but the way it was designed.. it was designed in every way to comply with legal system if it ever came down to that... even to a point where the company responsible for the wallet development & downloads is based in Hong Kong on purpose and replacing the word "Dividend" and "Interest" to "Burn Rate"... these little things mean they have and are thinking ahead.. and it is in the decisions they make where we place our money as investors because it precludes any technology that they come up with, which is already proving to compete with all of the competitors if not the best solution out there for what it does.

BTW if you take a look at the code, it is not an alt coin per definition.. the code is totally rewritten. It uses OP codes similar to counter party to determine bid/asks/shorts/votes and im nto sure about asset issueing.. but I only looked at the code for 5 mins.. im sure since you are pretty interested you can read up a bit more.

★☆★Syscoin - Decentralized Marketplace and Multisig Platform
Pay with Bitcoin, ZCash and many more
For more visit Syscoin.org  ★☆★
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2014, 11:25:26 PM

There is no fiat involved... unless you can pay taxes with btsx its not liable to SEC/FINCEN rules currently.. if they change it.. it would invalidate bitcoin aswell. Share issuance only needs to be registered legally at the gateway level between bitUSD etc and USD. Those are external entities outside of bitshares.

Merger with ethereum? They simply past ideas off of each other.. and now bitshares to be turing complete and ethereum to possible go to a more DPOS solution. I think its good for everyone.. but a merger im not sure about that.

The public image (posting his real name) is great for the crypto community and it would be bad if fiat was involved so legal system can go after him to try to shut it down but the way it was designed.. it was designed in every way to comply with legal system if it ever came down to that... even to a point where the company responsible for the wallet development & downloads is based in Hong Kong on purpose and replacing the word "Dividend" and "Interest" to "Burn Rate"... these little things mean they have and are thinking ahead.. and it is in the decisions they make where we place our money as investors because it precludes any technology that they come up with, which is already proving to compete with all of the competitors if not the best solution out there for what it does.

BTW if you take a look at the code, it is not an alt coin per definition.. the code is totally rewritten. It uses OP codes similar to counter party to determine bid/asks/shorts/votes and im nto sure about asset issueing.. but I only looked at the code for 5 mins.. im sure since you are pretty interested you can read up a bit more.

Whoa....that's really naive. See SEC vs Trendon Shavers and US vs Faeilla. Both tried to use the "but i didn't use dollars" defense. Both had their arguments easily and completely shot down.

Pages: « 1 ... 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 [705] 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 ... 1558 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.