Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:23:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 [692] 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032123 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:41:26 PM

"Bitcoin, the currency, is a risky investment. But the potential of technologies that underpin it to disrupt the finance sector is looking like a safe bet. "

http://www.economistinsights.com/technology-innovation/analysis/money-no-middleman/tab/1

Therefor..bitcoin is a safebet.

This is yet another instance of the common misunderstanding among finance/econ people that the currency and the blockchain are separable.

But it's good that these people are seeing value in "the underlying technology". They did not 2 years ago.

And I suspect that sometime in the next 2 years or so, it's going to dawn on a lot of these people that you can't use the technology without the unit/currency.
Agreed. But I think it's going to happen a lot faster. Once you see value in the underlying technology it's only a matter of time before you tie things together. The world is now getting condition that the blockchain is amazing..and bitcoin..well it's just an app that may or may not survive. It shouldn't take long to flip the switch and realize that bitcoin's value makes the blockchain work.

I like what I'm seeing..just need a "AHA" moment before the masses rush in. The infrastructure is getting to the point where it's almost capable of handling the rush.

yeah, i think you're right.  especially with all of us pounding the education drum.  and you know banker-types are trawling this very forum.

another key point is that 275 appears to be the bottom for this protracted bear.  as we grind higher, the financially astute will start to take notice yet again and put 2 and 2 together.

The bitcoin price is now being covered by mass media. The love a climbing price so imo if we break into the 500's in the next 1-2 weeks we'll begin a huge rally off of the new found understanding of bitcoin and purely for the fact that we're going up...and we're much lower than where we came from.

When people on cnbc are recommending bitcoin and their picks blow the other picks out of the water..people start listening

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102078625

i love that those guys have been talking about and speculating on Bitcoin for quite some time now.  alot of ppl tune in to them and it's great advertising.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:44:26 PM

here we have a peek that Bitcoin may in fact sneek in the backdoor and become the world's reserve currency unbeknownst to the IMF and banksters.  they are adopting the Andreas way of looking at Bitcoin (the currency as simply the first app), which i still maintain is fundamentally in error:

There was recognition that such protocols could serve as an “initial layer” upon which platforms of fully blown payment systems could be built.

http://www.coindesk.com/imf-world-bank-panellists-discuss-block-chains-potential/

let them start building and come to the realization that the blockchain can't work w/o the currency.

Not just the first app, the foundation app.

If you ask me, the only app. Other app types may have a need for distribution and security, but that could have been (and have been) done before nakamotos whitepaper. The money is the invention, an invention that the world sorely needs.

yep, i'm up to btwn 70-80% confident in my own think-box that my thesis is going to come true:

"The Blockchain may only ever be applicable to Bitcoin as Money"-cypherdoc

there are so many posts in this thread that i can't even find where i gave all the reasons why several months back.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:51:58 PM

here we have a peek that Bitcoin may in fact sneek in the backdoor and become the world's reserve currency unbeknownst to the IMF and banksters.  they are adopting the Andreas way of looking at Bitcoin (the currency as simply the first app), which i still maintain is fundamentally in error:

There was recognition that such protocols could serve as an “initial layer” upon which platforms of fully blown payment systems could be built.

http://www.coindesk.com/imf-world-bank-panellists-discuss-block-chains-potential/

let them start building and come to the realization that the blockchain can't work w/o the currency.

If you ask me, the only app. Other app types may have a need for distribution and security, but that could have been (and have been) done before nakamotos whitepaper. The money is the invention, an invention that the world sorely needs.

yep, i'm up to btwn 70-80% confident in my own think-box that my thesis is going to come true:

there are so many posts in this thread that i can't even find where i gave all the reasons why several months back.

Here's my prediction:  You are going to look back on that statement as your  "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers" statement. :-)
FNG

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:53:05 PM

"Bitcoin, the currency, is a risky investment. But the potential of technologies that underpin it to disrupt the finance sector is looking like a safe bet. "

http://www.economistinsights.com/technology-innovation/analysis/money-no-middleman/tab/1

Therefor..bitcoin is a safebet.

This is yet another instance of the common misunderstanding among finance/econ people that the currency and the blockchain are separable.

But it's good that these people are seeing value in "the underlying technology". They did not 2 years ago.

And I suspect that sometime in the next 2 years or so, it's going to dawn on a lot of these people that you can't use the technology without the unit/currency.
Agreed. But I think it's going to happen a lot faster. Once you see value in the underlying technology it's only a matter of time before you tie things together. The world is now getting condition that the blockchain is amazing..and bitcoin..well it's just an app that may or may not survive. It shouldn't take long to flip the switch and realize that bitcoin's value makes the blockchain work.

I like what I'm seeing..just need a "AHA" moment before the masses rush in. The infrastructure is getting to the point where it's almost capable of handling the rush.

yeah, i think you're right.  especially with all of us pounding the education drum.  and you know banker-types are trawling this very forum.

another key point is that 275 appears to be the bottom for this protracted bear.  as we grind higher, the financially astute will start to take notice yet again and put 2 and 2 together.

The bitcoin price is now being covered by mass media. The love a climbing price so imo if we break into the 500's in the next 1-2 weeks we'll begin a huge rally off of the new found understanding of bitcoin and purely for the fact that we're going up...and we're much lower than where we came from.

When people on cnbc are recommending bitcoin and their picks blow the other picks out of the water..people start listening

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102078625

i love that those guys have been talking about and speculating on Bitcoin for quite some time now.  alot of ppl tune in to them and it's great advertising.

It's massive. Now only if HNW newletters will start recommending it. Faber and Casey Research could be a good start.

and Boom
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:55:57 PM

... I think these guys are actually using blockchain-as-a-technology as a way to assess sentiment.  ...

I think you're right. It may not be conscious, per se, but I think a lot of people are realizing: "Hmm...there really may be something completely new, and potentially world-changing here", but they still feel reputational risk associating themselves with the negative headlines bitcoin has received over the years. Unfortunately the negative headlines will stick in finance people's minds longer than the positive ones, but I think we're (finally) on the way out of that.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
FNG

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:00:15 PM

Here's my prediction:  You are going to look back on that statement as your  "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers" statement. :-)

Agreed. Although I think money and SoV is by far the most important "app" which demands the highest level of security..the high level of security will draw everyone building useful apps that cut out the middlemen in a variety of ways to our blockchain.

Therefore the money ledger become the ultimate ledger for the IoT

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:17:51 PM

Bitcoin will be used as money only because it is a sensitive subject and elite may not want to mess with it once its set in place.. but other coins such as ethereum and bitsharesx can go ahead and try to capture businesses/stock markets/exchanges all in a distributed manor using the blockchain... this way there are specific solutions to domains rather than a 1 size fits all pony.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:22:58 PM

no growth here; again.  the sweet smell of Deflation:

FNG

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:25:10 PM

Bitcoin will be used as money only because it is a sensitive subject and elite may not want to mess with it once its set in place.. but other coins such as ethereum and bitsharesx can go ahead and try to capture businesses/stock markets/exchanges all in a distributed manor using the blockchain... this way there are specific solutions to domains rather than a 1 size fits all pony.
Has Ethereum(sp?) decided on how it's going to secure itself yet?...
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 06:31:39 PM

that's a much better way to put it.

LOL @ esperanto.  there are SOME small differences... like being able to accept Bitcoin using your phone in about 5 min.  Compare that to learning esperanto (2+ years), or even accepting a credit card (a week+ for the signup & to receive the reader, etc).

This is a wonderful experience that I repeat as often as I can.  I tend to wear some bitcoin bling most of the time.  A key chain, a pin, something.
I get a question about it from a stranger.  Rather than answer, I offer to show them.

"Do you have a phone?  A smart phone?"

And it goes from there.  5 minutes later, they have some bitcoin, and something to show off to their friends.
They are hooked.

I need some Bitcoin bling.  I need a tee that says "Ask me about BTC" or "I'll sell you some BTC".  I don't want some politically edgy slogan, and I don't want to pay $25 + shipping for a $5 shirt.  Same for keychain or pin.  What did you buy?

I have a lot of bitcoin stuff.
Tshirts from most of the conferences from the last few years, button, hats stickers, the Key Chain is made by a friend of mine.
One of the other catchy ones is the Bitcoin Specie.  I keep a few in my pocket and when I pull out my change there they are.   Cashiers are very likely to ask, they deal with money all day long.

Cashiers also make great local bitcoiners.  With their managers permission they can put up a little Bitcoin Accepted here sign in front of their register, take your bitcoin and drop their own money in the till.  Makes a little profit for them too.

This is our biggest untapped adoption expansion IMHO, the independant cashier.  When the manager realizes that they get more business because of that cashier, The manager is happy, the cashier gets promoted, gets attention, it spreads organically.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:40:09 PM

not that i'm aware.  but isn't that the most astounding thing?  collect all that investment money and nobody knows how it will be secured?  just shows how immature their code must be.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 07:00:15 PM

not that i'm aware.  but isn't that the most astounding thing?  collect all that investment money and nobody knows how it will be secured?  just shows how immature their code must be.

It only takes a reasonable code.. ^^

while the Ethereum Team will make reasonable efforts to complete the Ethereum software, it is possible that an official completed version of the Ethereum Platform may not be released and there may never be an operational Ethereum Platform.
https://www.ethereum.org/pdfs/EtherProductPurchaseAgreement.pdf
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 07:06:17 PM

the most exciting news of the last week and a half is that Bitcoin is moving UP while stocks are moving down.

that is fundamental...
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 07:22:39 PM

Dow gone negative after opening up, what, over 100?
FNG

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 07:31:04 PM

Dow gone negative after opening up, what, over 100?

Ha!  I fucking knew that bitch was going red.  Kept bouncing on me though 
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 08:46:00 PM

Bitcoin compares to fiat base money; notes and cons. Some important traits of bitcoin is better. Some are not so good. What can we do? Anybody can produce bitcoin notes and coins, and back them with real bitcoins. Even better, we can make cryptocoins and notes with hidden secret keys, they don't need backing. Not possible for fiat.

We do not have credit or debit cards. We don't need them for remote payment. Are there something with cards that is better? In that case, the market will supply bitcoin credit or debit cards, and they will be just as good.

We can't lose this!
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 08:55:19 PM

Bitcoin compares to fiat base money; notes and cons. Some important traits of bitcoin is better. Some are not so good. What can we do? Anybody can produce bitcoin notes and coins, and back them with real bitcoins. Even better, we can make cryptocoins and notes with hidden secret keys, they don't need backing. Not possible for fiat.

We do not have credit or debit cards. We don't need them for remote payment. Are there something with cards that is better? In that case, the market will supply bitcoin credit or debit cards, and they will be just as good.

We can't lose this!

Exactly what use would I have for bitcoin notes and coins  Huh

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1698

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 08:56:53 PM

Right now in the markets due to what is happening in Europe there is a large correction going on.

Looks like the largest correction in the last 2 years.

Watch the SP500 very closely, might be due for a large sell off soon.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 09:28:10 PM

We can't lose this!

Exactly what use would I have for bitcoin notes and coins  Huh

Some propose that bitcoin is not useful where there is no internet nor power. In such a setting, notes would be good. (Paper wallet notes are probably better). The market decides.
Erdogan
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 09:33:31 PM

This article (pointed to me via zerohedge) describes the current bitcoin market exactly.

A Game of Sentiment

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilontheory/post/2013/11/03/A-Game-of-Sentiment

"who will get the most votes when all the voters are basing their votes on who they think will get the most votes? This is the Sentiment game!"

and

"We have reached the third degree where we devote our intelligences to anticipating what average opinion expects the average opinion to be. And there are some, I believe, who practice the fourth, fifth and higher degrees." (originally Keynes).
Pages: « 1 ... 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 [692] 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: