Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:51:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 [679] 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032138 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:08:43 PM

This is the most plausible theory I've heard to date, Cypher.

But let me get this straight: you're suggesting that the 30k wall belonged to a panicking early adopter and was in fact the "desert" that Pantera was after the entire time.  Correct?

So, basically, they got as much cheap coins as they could hope for, fired the trolls, and are now talking the price back up (hah maybe now that you posted this they'll do the opposite and take us down one more time.  Perhaps they'll scare some coins out of you next time Smiley )

correct.  given that you believe there has been a manipulator taking down prices since June. 

Blitz, you know me better than that.  back in 2011, i was the one arguing against any manipulation back then and ever since.  this is the only event in which i've invoked a manipulator mechanism.

and if there has been a manipulator, Pantera is the logical entity with the strategic positioning in place to pull it off.  leave tons of BTC and fiat on the exchange in preparation and simply sell down the market until the market capitulates, then buy back.  rather simple, really, which is also why i like it.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:08:54 PM

Off topic: I could not RT you, I unfollowed and followed back and now I can! Weird  Huh

Stephen Gornick pm'd me this morning and informed me about the retweet problem.  so i figured out how to undo that setting.  sorry!

i vaguely recall someone using the initials "RT" in a message, was that you?  i just realized that means "retweet".
Yeap, it was me!
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:09:07 PM

who knows how to translate Slovenian time to forum time?

anyways, all this guy Loaded says is that his fiat has arrived.  and from that everyone assumes he is the one who took down the wall?
Yes

Edit:
Not the whole wall, just the bulk of the last couple minutes worth - 12 - 14k at that time.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:12:10 PM

anyways, all this guy Loaded says is that his fiat has arrived.  and from that everyone assumes he is the one who took down the wall?
Fine, I'll do it. Loaded posted 07:12:33 UTC

Buy was between 7:05 and 07:10 UTC (too lazy to narrow down further), therefore it isn't proof. Too bad, now we will never know for sure. Cheesy

let's assume for a moment that Loaded meant way more than what he said

who is more likely to keep large amounts of fiat at Bitstamp, Pantera or some random internet guy name Loaded?

and just how did Loaded initiate a wire, let's say Friday, not knowing 30K BTC would be up for sale on Sunday?  pure luck?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:20:01 PM

this is just great; your Fed is worried you will have too much purchasing power.  and they wonder why ppl are pissed:

Gold Turns Higher After Fed Frets Over Strong Dollar

http://online.wsj.com/articles/gold-prices-extend-gains-for-third-straight-day-on-global-growth-concerns-1412778274
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:21:51 PM

anyways, all this guy Loaded says is that his fiat has arrived.  and from that everyone assumes he is the one who took down the wall?

Buy was between 7:05 and 07:10 UTC (too lazy to narrow down further), therefore it isn't proof. Too bad, now we will never know for sure. Cheesy

who is more likely to keep large amounts of fiat at Bitstamp, Pantera or some random internet guy name Loaded?

and just how did Loaded initiate a wire, let's say Friday, not knowing 30K BTC would be up for sale on Sunday?  pure luck?

Nope. If he had the cash there,  he likely would have eaten the whole wall in  a couple bites. As it was it took 6 or so hours, and he got less than half of it. 
Money talks. He got somebody out of bed, or flew in with a suitcase full of cash, who knows, he didn't share details - but he has in the past.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:24:36 PM

I don't really dismiss conspired multi-month massive manipulation per se, I just think that a) it's unlikely and b) even if it were true, it just means that the conditions of Bitcoin allowed it to be manipulated. Study the conditions, describe degree of susceptibility to manipulation.

What do you mean, "way more than what he said"? I just meant to say that his post isn't proof that whoever is behind his account initiated the buy because it happened after the buy was made. It could be indicative though, given he showed activity 2-3 minutes post buy; we already know he has access to 40k coins and I'm certain he did buy at various points in the past bubble when he said he did. BTW, the buy was actually only a fifth of the original 30k wall (about 6k), and this along with the fact that it took until Monday morning does seem to indicate that it was actually fresh funds, therefore Loaded fits the narrative.

I don't know if he knew, I doubt he did. I'd assume it was a routine transfer and thus a lucky coincidence.

Anyway, this is all fruitless discussion I normally don't participate in, but it can be fun to do so. It just probably won't deliver any insight that'll make us more money. Cheesy
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:29:26 PM

I don't really dismiss conspired multi-month massive manipulation per se, I just think that a) it's unlikely and b) even if it were true, it just means that the conditions of Bitcoin allowed it to be manipulated. Study the conditions, describe degree of susceptibility to manipulation.

What do you mean, "way more than what he said"? I just meant to say that his post isn't proof that whoever is behind his account initiated the buy because it happened after the buy was made. It could be indicative though, given he showed activity 2-3 minutes post buy; we already know he has access to 40k coins and I'm certain he did buy at various points in the past bubble when he said he did. BTW, the buy was actually only a fifth of the original 30k wall (about 6k), and this along with the fact that it took until Monday morning does seem to indicate that it was actually fresh funds, therefore Loaded fits the narrative.

I don't know if he knew, I doubt he did. I'd assume it was a routine transfer and thus a lucky coincidence.

Anyway, this is all fruitless discussion I normally don't participate in, but it can be fun to do so. It just probably won't deliver any insight that'll make us more money. Cheesy

It's all there in the wall observer thread. A lot to go through,  I know.  I just happened to watch it all live.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:36:21 PM

Nope. If he had the cash there,  he likely would have eaten the whole wall in  a couple bites. As it was it took 6 or so hours, and he got less than half of it.  
Money talks. He got somebody out of bed, or flew in with a suitcase full of cash, who knows, he didn't share details - but he has in the past.

you seriously believe that?  flew the cash in?  got someone out of bed and got all that cash there in <6h?  to Slovenia?  and how well do you know this guy?  there are a lot of big talkers on the interwebz.

all he said is this: "Fiat arrives (finally.)"  did he actually say he bought the wall?

no, no.  it's WAY more likely Pantera Capital, being an equity owner and close associate of the founders, would be the ones there waiting with the required large amount of fiat to take down the wall.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:37:06 PM

Andreas talking to a committee of Canadian senators: http://senparlvu.parl.gc.ca/Guide.aspx?viewmode=4&categoryid=-1&eventid=9692&Language=E#
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 09:44:08 PM

But let me get this straight: you're suggesting that the 30k wall belonged to a panicking early adopter and was in fact the "desert" that Pantera was after the entire time.  Correct?

So, basically, they got as much cheap coins as they could hope for, fired the trolls, and are now talking the price back up (hah maybe now that you posted this they'll do the opposite and take us down one more time.  Perhaps they'll scare some coins out of you next time Smiley )

correct.  given that you believe there has been a manipulator taking down prices since June. 

Blitz, you know me better than that.  back in 2011, i was the one arguing against any manipulation back then and ever since.  this is the only event in which i've invoked a manipulator mechanism.

and if there has been a manipulator, Pantera is the logical entity with the strategic positioning in place to pull it off.  leave tons of BTC and fiat on the exchange in preparation and simply sell down the market until the market capitulates, then buy back.  rather simple, really, which is also why i like it.

It could be even simpler, for example if an even larger OTC deal were being made, and that was based on the exchange price.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:44:08 PM

Nope. If he had the cash there,  he likely would have eaten the whole wall in  a couple bites. As it was it took 6 or so hours, and he got less than half of it.  

you seriously believe that?  flew the cash in?  got someone out of bed and got all that cash there in <6h?  to Slovenia?  and how well do you know this guy?  there are a lot of big talkers on the interwebz.

all he said is this: "Fiat arrives (finally.)"  did he actually say he bought the wall?

no, no.  it's WAY more likely Pantera Capital, being an equity owner and close associate of the owners, would be the ones there waiting with large amounts of fiat.

I don't know him at all. But I do know that he has control of a substantial stash (fact)  and claims to handle substantially MORE for clients, and claims to do the fly - in when required.  I have no way to prove nor disprove the claims, and no reason to disbelieve them.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:49:34 PM

It could be even simpler, for example if an even larger OTC deal were being made, and that was based on the exchange price.

i addressed this earlier.  it's unlikely b/c of the time involved in setting up and negotiating OTC orders.  it doesn't happen in <6h especially for amounts of $9-10M.  wiring and banking info needs to be setup and coordinated with the BTC send.  doesn't happen on Sunday nights w/o the assistance of financial personnel.  also OTC participants are sophisticated buyers and are likely to be aware of exchange arbitrage.  there was in fact about an $11-14 discrepancy with BFX at the time, or 4-4.5% difference.  not a trivial amount that OTC traders just give up. 
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 09:51:57 PM

no, no.  it's WAY more likely Pantera Capital, being an equity owner and close associate of the owners, would be the ones there waiting with large amounts of fiat.

I don't know him at all. But I do know that he has control of a substantial stash (fact)  and claims to handle substantially MORE for clients, and claims to do the fly - in when required.  I have no way to prove nor disprove the claims, and no reason to disbelieve them.

i won't argue with you anymore.  this is all just conjecture, i'm the first to admit.  and mostly for fun.

i'd just ask you to weigh the likelihood of the different scenarios we've proposed.  i still think the Pantera Capital buy is more "likely".  even if you do disbelieve the manipulation part from June to Oct 5. Cheesy
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 10:48:57 PM

Loaded == Pantera guy

explorer
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:20:36 PM

no, no.  it's WAY more likely Pantera Capital, being an equity owner and close associate of the owners, would be the ones there waiting with large amounts of fiat.

I don't know him at all. But I do know that he has control of a substantial stash (fact)  and claims to handle substantially MORE for clients, and claims to do the fly - in when required.  I have no way to prove nor disprove the claims, and no reason to disbelieve them.

i won't argue with you anymore.  this is all just conjecture, i'm the first to admit.  and mostly for fun.

i'd just ask you to weigh the likelihood of the different scenarios we've proposed.  i still think the Pantera Capital buy is more "likely".  even if you do disbelieve the manipulation part from June to Oct 5. Cheesy
I can certainly entertain the manipulation idea.  And the 35k dump/wall on a Sunday was odd in the extreme.  I do not think that it was eaten by its owner, is all, for the reasons I have stated.  Thanks for this  great thread, btw.   Not sure how it got this big before I noticed it Cheesy  

explorer
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:22:12 PM

Loaded == Pantera guy
Hadn't considered that possibility...  As good as any other theory Grin
blaaaaacksuit

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Who cares?

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:24:17 PM

Loaded == Pantera guy

Grin
zeetubes

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:26:07 PM

"I can certainly entertain the manipulation idea.  And the 35k dump/wall on a Sunday was odd in the extreme.  I do not think that it was eaten by its owner, is all, for the reasons I have stated.  Thanks for this  great thread, btw.   Not sure how it got this big before I noticed it"

This type of discussion/conjecture is damn' useful for recognizing the symptoms the next time it happens.  
explorer
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:33:24 PM

"I can certainly entertain the manipulation idea.  And the 35k dump/wall on a Sunday was odd in the extreme.  I do not think that it was eaten by its owner, is all, for the reasons I have stated.  Thanks for this  great thread, btw.   Not sure how it got this big before I noticed it"

This type of discussion/conjecture is damn' useful for recognizing the symptoms the next time it happens.  
Not to mention entertaining.  Since we all want to know, and none of us are likely to ever know, we might as well knock around whatever ideas occur.
Pages: « 1 ... 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 [679] 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: