Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:48:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032123 times)
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:47:16 AM

I'm not a master in these fields but add politics/govt to that mix and you have my 4 greatest interests after history.

History is my true love but after than I learn all I can about the other 4.

It is really hard to grasp BTC. Learning about it in 2010 I was like wow, damn cool but it will never take off. Too many stupid people. Mid 2011 tried to explain to normal people, they think I'm nuts. Even now in late 2013 people come to me about BTC but its, how doers it work? And their eyes glaze over before I'm half way done.

We need to make BTC facebook easy before it really takes off. But by then BTC will be worth $10,000 each so I'm sure we could fund it...

By economics I meant political economy, which includes politics and government. History is also a big help, I think.

One other thing, maybe most important of all, is that it takes life experience to learn how much you can trust your judgment. To learn the difference between confident wishful thinking and confidence with solid backing based on deep understanding, weighing of all factors, not being afraid to think independently, and elimination of blind spots and other weaknesses in your decision-making process - it's extremely difficult, though not impossible, to come by such judgment ability other than by age.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:54:06 AM

Peter Schiff is a good example of someone who understands the economics but not the cryptography. He also isn't afraid to think independently but he has a weakness in that he is dismissive of that which he doesn't understand. At this point he should just say, "I can't see how it can work," and get to doing his research on it. I'm afraid his personality will make it take quite a while before he gets around to it, though.
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 01:03:34 AM

Peter Schiff is a good example of someone who understands the economics but not the cryptography. He also isn't afraid to think independently but he has a weakness in that he is dismissive of that which he doesn't understand. At this point he should just say, "I can't see how it can work," and get to doing his research on it. I'm afraid his personality will make it take quite a while before he gets around to it, though.

Or Americans' old tendency to hate the math and avoid it whenever possible.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2013, 02:22:46 AM

I think the sheer number of fields one has to have mastered to really understand Bitcoin and its significance, not just on a gut level but enough to have the iron-clad confidence to make a serious investment and weather the storms along the way, is immense and diverse. Economics (markets, money, incentives, emergent order, entrepreneurship), computer science including recent developments, investing, mathematics (cryptography, the exponential function). Note that very few of these topics are well-covered in school, even at the university level (economics is covered if you major in it, but in a bastardized way).

It simply takes a long time to really master these fields. Especially it takes experience to see the forest for the trees and to see what is really important from among myriad details.

I concur.
Math, cryptography, programming, investing (did programming for William O'Neill & co), systems, economics, have all been helpful, as have career work in banking, telecom and manufacturing.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 4271

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 02:23:57 AM

I'm afraid his personality will make it take quite a while before he gets around to it, though.

his loss

he is certainly on the right track in many respects, but I used to tune in his show on the shortwave and have heard some straight up ignorant shit from him also

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:16:22 AM

He sells silver for a living.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 05:57:33 AM

He sells silver for a living.

Ironically, I never thought I'd buy another ounce of silver but wishing to re-balance a bit due to increased BTC valuations, I may in fact do just that.  Looks like a screaming deal these days to me (though I liked $4.50 better...)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 06:05:23 AM

I used to watch the PM prices all day, but I haven't for a while.  I have a meager stack of silver and a couple slivers of gold.  I'd feel bad about the drop in value, if I weren't so happy about the rise in value of my meager stack of bitcoins.

P.S.  Anyone know a site with persistent image URLs for gold and silver spot charts?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:22:39 AM

this is OT, but this vid was mentioned here some time ago,
i put it on documentary thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268955.msg3569469#msg3569469),
and a user asked for background info on James D'Angelo who's doing the 101 Blackboard series on world bitcoin network channel (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgo7FCCPuylVk4luP3JAgVw/videos).
just doing some research here...
Has somebody any info on this guy's educational background?

James has found his groove.  he's clearly a smart guy.  he's doing a great job with the new blackboard format.

i'd bet he visits this thread regularly given the last gold comparison video he did.  he cited many of the principles i've expounded upon for years now in much the same way.  

he's doing an excellent job.  anyone know his handle around here?

Did you notice that your thread happens to be the only one on the forum tracking the entire Bitcoin price history and people's reactions from 2012 until now? Tongue Even Adam's wall observer thread was rebooted once.

Wonder if the historians of future will scroll through pages to read our replies...

I'd rather guess it will be analytical algorithms scrolling through not only this forum but all available information. Historians can then just ask the bots.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:24:21 AM

Gold looks foreboding. Bitcoin EXPLODING.

Well you know, we gotta get going.

To get to the parity party.

Edit :  and beyond

I remember when people were talking about silver parity like it was this big thing that might never happen. "But if only it did reach silver parity, maybe then the PM bugs will take Bitcoin seriously." The good old days, nine months ago.

that was a much more significant event than people give it credit for.

gold and silver are linked at the hips more than ppl realize.  silver was supposed to be the metal that REALLY made goldbugs rich in the end as its price projections based on the gold:silver ratio were supposed to head to all time highs with the ratio to all time lows. 

as bullish as i was before, i became 4x more bullish once we passed parity @ around 20.  in order to really understand what is happening, you have to have been a big gold and silver holder.

I see you point and I agree with it. I think it was very noticable in the reception of Bitcoin within the metal-head community, too.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:25:37 AM

Schiff wants to talk bitcoin with a bitcoiner. reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qkqjr/peter_schiff_has_requested_a_bitcoiner_to_debate/

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:27:47 AM

I'm afraid his personality will make it take quite a while before he gets around to it, though.

his loss

he is certainly on the right track in many respects, but I used to tune in his show on the shortwave and have heard some straight up ignorant shit from him also

Schiff says things like:

Bit coins have no intrinsic value. Since you can divide each "coin" into 10 million smaller units, the total supply is zillions. They are not scare. Dividing bit coins is not like dividing gold coins. Two half-ounce gold coins have half the gold as a one-ounce coin. That is because each half ounce coin contains half the intrinsic value of a full ounce coin. Break a bit coin in half, and each half is basically identical to the whole. Since a bit coin has an intrinsic value of zero, half of zero is still zero. Put it this way, if they sold bit coins in bundles of 10 million, where the individual coins could not be subdivided, and the maximum quantity of those 10 million dollar bundles was 21 million, would anyone claim that bit coins were scarce? This is a ponzi scheme pure and simply and the reaction on this board from those participating in it merely provides more evidence to prove my point.

It hurts! I think he's just sour because he thinks he's missed the train.

EDIT: I think he also made a freudian typo: "They are not scare". Haha, Peter, Bit coins are really really scare!

Pruden

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:34:31 AM

So that guy, revans, who says in this board that slicing a pie debases its value... it's Schiff!
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:05:57 PM

We need to make BTC facebook easy before it really takes off. But by then BTC will be worth $10,000 each so I'm sure we could fund it...
Wait five years and circle.com will to take care of FB and Walmart (my prediction).
Additional information
Hire of Raj Date Boosts Bitcoin Credibility
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accel_Partners

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Grafzep

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:17:20 PM

I used to watch the PM prices all day, but I haven't for a while.  I have a meager stack of silver and a couple slivers of gold.  I'd feel bad about the drop in value, if I weren't so happy about the rise in value of my meager stack of bitcoins.

P.S.  Anyone know a site with persistent image URLs for gold and silver spot charts?

kitco.com ?

Don't suppose there's anyone else here from the old kitco forum of the late 90s?

Namaste

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 03:58:36 PM

So that guy, revans, who says in this board that slicing a pie debases its value... it's Schiff!

By his logic, he must also think that removing the half-penny from American circulation increased the value of the dollar, lololol. Because it made the "dollar" more "scarce."
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:20:07 AM

this is the speed of adoption that miscreanity underestimated in our earlier debates in 2011.  and he's a young man too.

i'm an old man.  what's that say?:

The Geeks Fail to Understand That Which They Hath Created.

Remember this chart from the middle of last year? Smiley

The projections are exponential curves at discrete levels determined by empirical data, and there are four that I've focused on. At the bottom is an approximately 4.40% weekly growth rate from the beginning of market price availability (sourced from Bitcoincharts.com MtGox data). Next up is ~5% weekly, followed by the post-2011 bubble at ~5% as well (not shown). I found the latter level intriguing because it was the first external use (Silk Road) with a significant impact on the system.

Finally, the current weekly growth rate. That happens to have accelerated somewhat since I made the above chart, from just under 6% to about 6.7% per week.

At the end of December 2012, the above levels for the week of November 11th were:
  • 4.40% $101.27
  • 5.00% $266.74
  • 5.00% $389.56 (post-2011 bubble)
  • 5.95% $1224.52

As of this week, the current growth number puts the value at:
  • 6.74% $4,298.90

My estimates have been particularly conservative because there's a lot that could still impede growth (not stop it), and after watching gold for so many years I find it best to allow for extended listless periods. However, even pessimistically we should see $100k within three years.

It'll be interesting to see how the present regulatory coin validation fiasco flies with the dark wallet opposition potentially gaining major traction. In the end I have no doubt the Faustian gambit will crumble, but it'll be a vicious war. What will concern me is when western goverments promote Bitcoin...
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 05:52:00 AM

This is the dilemma for 99% of financial guys out there.
Their "education" on economics is actually working as a stumbling block to their ability to grasp and accept Bitcoin.
They think they know everything, therefore something that doesn't fit the mold is automatically nonsense.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 09:04:11 AM

This is the dilemma for 99% of financial guys out there.
Their "education" on economics is actually working as a stumbling block to their ability to grasp and accept Bitcoin.
They think they know everything, therefore something that doesn't fit the mold is automatically nonsense.

Good observation. I used to work in finance and noticed this, too. Whenever explaining anything from the area of economics, the last people to grasp the concept were people who studied economics - because they have had their heads filled with a lot of bullshit concepts during their edumakation, preventing them to see things for what they were, because there were just too many (mostly bogus) concepts getting in their way.

To be fair they were followed by people like lawyers and psychologists, who thought they understand and know everything and were mostly a pain in the ass to deal with.

I had the easiest time with people unsullied by "higher education" or people from computer science or engineering backgrounds.

Actually it's quite fun to watch. Even highly intelligent and knowledgeable gold bugs and Austrian economists are taking their time in understanding Bitcoin and are only slowly, one by one coming around. And that's the worthwhile minority of economists. The guys who swallowed all of that Keynesian stuff? I gather they'll be among the "laggards" which adopt BTC, together with my grandmother and my autistic nephew.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 10:33:42 AM

I've slowly learned that almost every single thing I learned in school and university was wrong, or else in some way majorly corrupted. No fields are spared as far as I've seen, besides maybe the practical ones like engineering (there's a market test for wrongness in engineering). Economics of course, but math (pure math, like analysis) and physics and linguistics and logic have severe fundamental issues that have a strong and far-reaching corrupting effect. It's just government funding and the power structure of intellectuals that allows them to equivocate and win by flashiness and the illusion of rigor rather than actual rigor.

There is absolutely no substitute for learning to think for yourself.
Pages: « 1 ... 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 [323] 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: