Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:07:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 [837] 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032140 times)
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 05:26:15 PM

brg444, so why can't core devs confine their testing of fast tx or anon using the federated server model with 2wp as opposed to changing source code via SPVproof?

They could, but SPVproof is conceptually more secure & decentralized.

but at more risk from unknown side effects and conflict of interest.

Server centralization is a very real risk.

Unknown side effects are exactly that, unknown.

As for the conflicts of interest, they might exist but I really don't believe and foresee how they could be used to effectively damage Bitcoin in the long run. I'm sorry but I think your theory of core devs negatively influencing the development of Bitcoin in the favor of Blockstream is bonkers.

How is the federated model so centralized?  Couldn't you use a set of semi-trusted oracles like Gavin has described.  This model may not be completely decentralized, but may be decentralized enough.

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
So... could we take that interesting idea and map it onto Bitcoin? Could somebody create "Bit-thereum" on top of Bitcoin as it exists today?

The answer is "yes,"
if we're willing to replace "verified by the entire network" with "verified by a set of semi-trusted 'oracles'."

That's cheating, though, isn't it? We're not entirely decentralized if we are trusting eleven contract-verifying-services not to collude (or all get hacked) to violate conditions encoded in some contract(s).

It is cheating a bit... but all of the really interesting complex contracts I can think of require data from outside the blockchain. Like the BTC/USD exchange rate on some future date (for blockchain-enforced futures contracts).

Then I ask you what is the point of Bitcoin's proof of work right? Why not use semi-trusted oracles to verify transactions?

Again, how is the federated model centralized?

To answer your question, bitcoin is primarily a wealth storage system and requires a much stronger security model.  Utility, such everyday transactions don't require as much security. 

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 05:32:17 PM

You really need some dose of rationality. You're an intelligent person but the way you're looking for ghosts everywhere will drive you mad
I think experience helps. Look again when you have an additional 20 years. It also helps to consider every one is correct when judging others views.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 05:33:31 PM

brg444, so why can't core devs confine their testing of fast tx or anon using the federated server model with 2wp as opposed to changing source code via SPVproof?

As for the conflicts of interest, they might exist but I really don't believe and foresee how they could be used to effectively damage Bitcoin in the long run. I'm sorry but I think your theory of core devs negatively influencing the development of Bitcoin in the favor of Blockstream is bonkers.

How is the federated model so centralized?  Couldn't you use a set of semi-trusted oracles like Gavin has described.  This model may not be completely decentralized, but may be decentralized enough.

So... could we take that interesting idea and map it onto Bitcoin? Could somebody create "Bit-thereum" on top of Bitcoin as it exists today?

The answer is "yes,"
if we're willing to replace "verified by the entire network" with "verified by a set of semi-trusted 'oracles'."

That's cheating, though, isn't it? We're not entirely decentralized if we are trusting eleven contract-verifying-services not to collude (or all get hacked) to violate conditions encoded in some contract(s).

It is cheating a bit... but all of the really interesting complex contracts I can think of require data from outside the blockchain. Like the BTC/USD exchange rate on some future date (for blockchain-enforced futures contracts).

Then I ask you what is the point of Bitcoin's proof of work right? Why not use semi-trusted oracles to verify transactions?

To answer your question, bitcoin is primarily a wealth storage system and requires a much stronger security model.  Utility, such everyday transactions don't require as much security. 

I did not say it was centralized. But we have the opportunity to make every platform as decentralized (or close to) as Bitcoin is, why not look into it?

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 05:37:56 PM

The answer is "yes,"

I did not say it was centralized. But we have the opportunity to make every platform as decentralized (or close to) as Bitcoin is, why not look into it?

i'm confused yet again.  there's that path diversion...
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 05:39:54 PM

The answer is "yes,"

i'm confused yet again.  there's that path diversion...

Roll Eyes

You know exactly what I mean

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 05:47:01 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2014, 05:57:41 PM by Adrian-x

The answer is "yes,"

Gavin's got it right, semi-trusted oracles dont make money, that's why we have PoW, PoW is designed to scale to the value of the money not the assets used to store the money, semi-trusted oracles are just decentralized conduits, and can be made trustless.

Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 05:53:57 PM

You really need some dose of rationality. You're an intelligent person but the way you're looking for ghosts everywhere will drive you mad

but it's a good question, isn't it?

if, as you say, their only interest is to make profit from expanding Bitcoin's potential and not profiting from Blockstream, then why not make Blockstream a non-profit?

Of course they have an interest in profiting from Blockstream. I'm not so naive.

The point is hurting Bitcoin has a direct impact on the core of their business model.

Additionally, as we seem to have agreed, most of Blockstream's creations will not compete with Bitcoin's money function so I can hardly see how one of their sidechain could be a menace to Bitcoin.

keep in mind Bitcoin has a market cap of about $5Billion. Blockstream hold the belief that if this protocol change is made, it will be possible to separate BTC Asset (by keep your private ket 100% safe for you), using there blockchain technology, from the value locked in the Bitcoin blockchain. If that comes to pass there is a lot of wealth to siphon out regardless of the ultimate Bitcoin outcome.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:12:39 PM

take a look at the @Truthcoin perspective.  note how he wants to "share" our value:

https://twitter.com/Truthcoin/status/532538170030948354

HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:26:14 PM

The answer is "yes,"

Gavin's got it right, semi-trusted oracles dont make money, that's why we have PoW, PoW is designed to scale to the value of the money not the assets used to store the money, semi-trusted oracles are just decentralized conduits, and can be made trustless.

Either way, the blockstream devs say they will test the federated peg first.  We may find that model is good enough and no changes are needed to the core protocol.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:26:56 PM

good news for goldbugs!  looks who's backing their new currency with gold?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-11-13/isis-unveils-its-new-gold-backed-currency-remove-itself-oppressors-money-system

but i thought Bitcoin was their preferred currency?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:27:48 PM

The answer is "yes,"

Either way, the blockstream devs say they will test the federated peg first.  We may find that model is good enough and no changes are needed to the core protocol.

i can only hope.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 06:59:39 PM

over and over and over.  sheesh:

“Bitcoin is two things, right? Bitcoin is a currency and it is a way to create a network. And the two today aren’t associated. People (ask): ‘Are you going to accept the coin?’ And the answer is, we’ll think about it when our clients actually want to use it. So when we have banks and merchants saying ‘Hey, our clients really want to pay in Bitcoin,’ then it becomes a meaningful question for us to answer. Until then, it is just theoretical would we do it, and we have – I forget a couple of hundred currencies or 170 currencies that we do business in. If we chose another one, we can certainly do that.”

http://www.pymnts.com/news/2014/visa-ceo-confirms-tokens-as-new-network-revenue-stream/#.VGS1MlVn3qc

read the article.  it talks extensively about "tokens".
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 07:10:48 PM

take a look at the @Truthcoin perspective.  note how he wants to "share" our value:

when you're swapping BTC for CC through the 2wp aren't you effectively "shorting" BTC and going "long" CC?
Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 07:37:36 PM

The answer is "yes,"

Woot! I missed that memo  Smiley I'm holding again.

Adrian-x
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 07:49:45 PM

when you're swapping BTC for CC through the 2wp aren't you effectively "shorting" BTC and going "long" CC?
No it's all Bitcoin if I understand the counter argument, you can change back 1:1 any time (or 1:10 and 10:1)

Yes if you see value in CC. But as one SC proponent points out there won't be value there at least not with TC - apparently one should consider it a scam even it it does everything it says on the box, so it's not a good test case for SC.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 07:53:31 PM

take a look at the @Truthcoin perspective.  note how he wants to "share" our value:

No it's all Bitcoin if I understand the counter argument, you can change back 1:1 any time (or 1:10 and 10:1)

Yes if you see value in CC. But as one SC proponent points out there won't be value there at least not with TC - apparently one should consider it a scam even it it does everything it says on the box, so it's not a good test case for SC.

every time you trade your USD for BTC, you're effectively shorting USD and going long BTC.  seems like the same here.

seems like the peg only guarantees value for BTC<-->scBTC
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 09:32:17 PM

over and over and over.  sheesh:

“Bitcoin is two things, right? Bitcoin is a currency and it is a way to create a network. And the two today aren’t associated. People (ask): ‘Are you going to accept the coin?’ And the answer is, we’ll think about it when our clients actually want to use it. So when we have banks and merchants saying ‘Hey, our clients really want to pay in Bitcoin,’ then it becomes a meaningful question for us to answer. Until then, it is just theoretical would we do it, and we have – I forget a couple of hundred currencies or 170 currencies that we do business in. If we chose another one, we can certainly do that.”

The VISA CEO's willful ignorance aside, I'm seeing more people come out in defense of blockchain/currency inseparability lately, and some people who previously thought incorrectly on this issue are turning around. Hopefully that trend continues.

Granted in a different context, but I'm reminded of the Hive-wallet Founder/CEO's insufferable insistence on using the term "token" instead of money or coin. He has a backwards and obnoxious philosophical position on the nature of crypto money, and it influences their business decisions. I, for one, will never touch HiveWallet, as that company's existence, given their philosophy, is a net negative to the bitcoin ecosystem.

Reminder for those who missed it the first time around:

We at Hive agree that so-called crypto-currency is not money
We of Earth love our novelty, and I in particular find the idea of artificial digital scarcity so painfully fucking boring that I'm going to spend my time making your world view more difficult to sustain, as both a career and a hobby.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 10:03:10 PM

...  I'm seeing more people come out in defense of blockchain/currency inseparability lately, and some people who previously thought incorrectly on this issue are turning around ...

and some people(I do not mean you) cannot understand, that the same ledger (with same information) can be written in many languages on many different medias and can use many different formats. ... but in the end the information is the same ( who owns BTC and how many )   => I do not see it as  blockchain/currency separation
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2014, 10:14:32 PM

I LOL'd at that one too.
Share the same Market Cap?

So kind of them to share that, lol.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 10:25:54 PM

brg444, what larger economic/political effects do you think a Silk Road SC will have on Bitcoin?

If you are able to see "Silk Road SC" then it was not done right.
Pages: « 1 ... 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 [837] 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: