Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:20:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 [856] 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 ... 1315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][BURST] Burst | Efficient HDD Mining | New 1.2.3 Fork block 92000  (Read 2170574 times)
Yanakitu Tenatako

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 12:56:21 PM

Regarding system and hardware for burst mining, we had a quiet wide conversation on burst-coin channel.
I had some issues months ago. Here are my results:

HW:
A88X motherboard
A4-7300 cpu
8Gb ram
8 x 4Tb hdd WD 7200 drives
Ubuntu 14.04

plot read time about 135 seconds.
plot files are NOT optimized.
I added 32 gb ram total, changed for couple of seconds, or not at all.
Also tried with high end A10 cpu best you can buy, still no change. Wasting time and money.
Optimizing plots - some real results. readtime went to 15 seconds less. And that was it - best I can do.
Now I have complete readout time for 32Tb of 1:55-2:00 minutes per machine.

My conclusion is that SATA controllers are some real bottlenecks (not really too bad, but faster will make real change).

Anything less than this, like using R.Pi or similar leads to nowhere.

Now I am having some real servers with 32Gb ram and dual 6-core opteron CPU-s to test... will post, but I doubt that they will make some great improvements in speed. At least not approved by price of them.

Wow, thanks for your detailed report on lowend AMD computer. Maybe just like xizmax mentioned, Raspberry Pi can only with max 8TB, but just don't know what is the read time... But still, if Raspberry Pi is good for 8TB, then 4 X Raspberry Pi will be better than a lowend AMD computer in power consumption.

Complete system with advanced cooling for HDD consumes 120w at the wall, in full hdd working mode. For 32Tb.
Think it is too much? Then we will really need some low-end solutions.

Power consumption can be lower, without fans, but will require some more space. I find it very acceptable.
Beside, using a Ubuntu is a great advantage for every user demanding more than just "I have the GUI".

Adding additional sata cards and more HDD can expand this system to use less than 200w @wall with 3-4 times more storage.
It is just matter of time, I mean time needed for reading plots on all HDD.

BitFinex, best trading platform ever.
Register here: https://www.bitfinex.com/?refcode=53wNhi4gTx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mmmaybe

Activity: 462

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 01:28:46 PM

The first article has been published on Automated Transactions and Smart Contracts. We did have contact with the reporter but be never asked any questions or  had the decency to send the article to us for comments before publishing. We made a few remarks in the comment field below the article, both on that and the content.

http://insidebitcoins.com/news/alternative-cryptocurrency-claims-to-have-won-the-race-to-smart-contracts/29152

coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:40:15 PM

The first article has been published on Automated Transactions and Smart Contracts. We did have contact with the reporter but be never asked any questions or  had the decency to send the article to us for comments before publishing. We made a few remarks in the comment field below the article, both on that and the content.

http://insidebitcoins.com/news/alternative-cryptocurrency-claims-to-have-won-the-race-to-smart-contracts/29152

They should have interviewed the Dev. Piss poor journalism.

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
mmmaybe

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 01:52:32 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2015, 03:21:51 PM by mmmaybe

The first article has been published on Automated Transactions and Smart Contracts. We did have contact with the reporter but be never asked any questions or  had the decency to send the article to us for comments before publishing. We made a few remarks in the comment field below the article, both on that and the content.

Dev wasn't available but vbcs emailed the reporter, just as he wished in his first email to us. Then we didn't hear anything more, and vbcs was interviewed by an another publication. Hopefully that article will be better.

Nonetheless, a big thanks to vbcs, who worked his ass off yesterday and today with media issues! Smiley Please consider a donation to him: BURST-NUFU-7PX7-KHVM-7EMNC

coinits, thanks for your comment, btw Smiley

***EDIT: We seem to get some support on Twitter at least: https://twitter.com/real_BURSTCOIN/with_replies

Also, before the time of publication, I had contact with Editor-in-Chief, I've now emailed him the correspondence with the reporter (who was searching for someone to interview and got that but never did it).

seasonw

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:56:39 PM

Regarding system and hardware for burst mining, we had a quiet wide conversation on burst-coin channel.

HW:
A88X motherboard
A4-7300 cpu
8Gb ram
Ubuntu 14.04

Also tried with high end A10 cpu best you can buy, still no change. Wasting time and money.
Optimizing plots - some real results. readtime went to 15 seconds less. And that was it - best I can do.

My conclusion is that SATA controllers are some real bottlenecks (not really too bad, but faster will make real change).

Now I am having some real servers with 32Gb ram and dual 6-core opteron CPU-s to test... will post, but I doubt that they will make some great improvements in speed. At least not approved by price of them.

Wow, thanks for your detailed report on lowend AMD computer. Maybe just like xizmax mentioned, Raspberry Pi can only with max 8TB, but just don't know what is the read time... But still, if Raspberry Pi is good for 8TB, then 4 X Raspberry Pi will be better than a lowend AMD computer in power consumption.

Complete system with advanced cooling for HDD consumes 120w at the wall, in full hdd working mode. For 32Tb.

Power consumption can be lower, without fans, but will require some more space. I find it very acceptable.
Beside, using a Ubuntu is a great advantage for every user demanding more than just "I have the GUI".

Adding additional sata cards and more HDD can expand this system to use less than 200w @wall with 3-4 times more storage.

Maybe you are right if Raspberry Pi can support burst mining up to 8TB only (assuming more TB will be very slow). So, the cost of 4 X Raspberry Pi and power consumption is just slightly better than your lowend PC, and Raspberry surely will cost more than your PC for another extra 32TB that you mentioned with sata card. Mmmm... I have to calculate the ROI now and check if worth to setup a burstcoin mining machine like you did Smiley
pist0la

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:54:51 PM

Blago, I am having an issue with the latest miner.

I keep getting the error "Passphrase does not match reward recipient" error.

My reward recipient is in order, I am solo mining.

My passphrases.txt file is the same as the previous version of the miner I was using with no problems.

Any idea what the issue could be?
Yanakitu Tenatako

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:56:01 PM

HW:
A88X motherboard
A4-7300 cpu
8Gb ram
Ubuntu 14.04

Maybe you are right if Raspberry Pi can support burst mining up to 8TB only (assuming more TB will be very slow). So, the cost of 4 X Raspberry Pi and power consumption is just slightly better than your lowend PC, and Raspberry surely will cost more than your PC for another extra 32TB that you mentioned with sata card. Mmmm... I have to calculate the ROI now and check if worth to setup a burstcoin mining machine like you did Smiley

At this prices BURST/USD , ROI is a kind of joke.
With 29700Gb per machine (32Tb drives, acuallty are 29700Gb in real world Smiley ) gets a block a day = 3$ at current price
I must mention, you will not get close to calculator, but 60% yes, 70% probably, more than that is matter of luck.
But, lets do maths by calc. It is 3$ per day. 90$ per month.
Cost of the hardware in my country is:
Mobo-80$
Cpu-50$
Memory 8Gb 1866-100$
PSU(modular 630w)-65$
USB 8Gb drive-5$
8xSATA3 cables+SATA PSU spliter-15$
BigTower case LCpower 971b - 105$
HiFlow Sunon 120x120x25 fans with long calbes and conector 12V - 30$
8 x 4Tb WD purple drives = 8 x 180  1440$
shipping on various articles = 30$
Assembly and setup, fine tuning = it was my pleasure Smiley
Total price is: 1920$ per compuer.

1920/90 = 21 month ROI (22 with power cost)

Burst price MUST go up, or BTC, whatever.

Also there is a 5% block reward decrease, so it really is questionable, is there a ROI at all.

seasonw

Activity: 714

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:13:56 PM

HW:
A88X motherboard
A4-7300 cpu
8Gb ram
Ubuntu 14.04

With 29700Gb per machine (32Tb drives, acuallty are 29700Gb in real world Smiley ) gets a block a day = 3$ at current price
I must mention, you will not get close to calculator, but 60% yes, 70% probably, more than that is matter of luck.
Mobo-80$
Cpu-50$
Memory 8Gb 1866-100$
PSU(modular 630w)-65$
USB 8Gb drive-5$

Also there is a 5% block reward decrease, so it really is questionable, is there a ROI at all.

Yet you forgot to included electricity cost  Grin
Yes, I calculated before and I know it is impossible... But then I saw you setup a mining lowend PC, so I thought it is good profit, ha~~~
mmmaybe

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 04:33:11 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2015, 04:43:54 PM by mmmaybe

The BURST Community PR Team wants YOU!

At the moment, the team is heavily burdened by way too much work. Several things that are almost finished, haven't been finalized due to lack of time. It's frustrating to see that we could do more than we do, and then we already do a lot. So we need new members to the team!

So what competences are we looking for? Basically, everything Wink
- people with new ideas of doing PR
- people with former experience of PR
- people with no experience of PR but is eager to learn
- people who is good at writing, not only English but also other languages (we should be international!)
- people with good contacts in the larger crypto community and can promote BURST
- people who are willing to work without payment (but occasionally donations are given for dedication)
- people who are well-organized
- people who can either are good at working alone or good at working in smaller project teams (or both Wink )
- people who can design logos and pictures for, eg, the website
- people with coding skills (eg websites)
- people who can and are willing to work a few hours for the benefit of BURST
- people who... has your competences Wink

The PR Team today has four core members (crowetic, Irontiga, mczarnek, mmmaybe). We formed the group and have also one more important task: to make decisions regarding money. It's the core member who has invested money in the different projects. We trust each other greatly and are open with our IRL identities.

In addition, we also have a number of dedicated team members. If you join the PR team, you can stay anonymous if you wish (even if we appreciate openness), and you do never ever have to risk money on projects we are pursuing.

The whole team works on a Slack platform where it is very easy to share information, chat, upload things and create new channels for projects. Even if we at the moment have a lot to do, we also have really, really, really good times working together Smiley It's fun and all members are very friendly!

We don't know how much interest there is to work with us and develop BURST, but we would like you to send an "application" to email address burst@countermail.com. In the application we would like you to
- give a short description of yourself
- explain why you want to work with BURST's PR
- give an estimate how much time you can devote
- describe what you can bring to the team (competences)

How many members we will be included in the team depends on several things, but I would say we need at least a handful, possibly more. So, please, don't be shy; email burst@countermail.com as soon as possible! We have no deadline, but the faster you contact us, the better.

Lastly, think of your coming PR work as just another way of mining: instead of you having HDDs running, you will contribute to the growth and value increase of BURST!

And if you have read all this, thank you for your dedication Cheesy

Blago

Activity: 416

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 05:00:53 PM

Blago, I am having an issue with the latest miner.

I keep getting the error "Passphrase does not match reward recipient" error.

My reward recipient is in order, I am solo mining.

My passphrases.txt file is the same as the previous version of the miner I was using with no problems.

Any idea what the issue could be?

PM to U

Relax, I’m russian!...
BURST-B2LU-SGCZ-NYVS-HZEPK
bensam123

Activity: 423

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 05:13:49 PM

Yeah, USB 2 has quite a bit of overhead, CPU wise, something people should consider...

Is there more then one different optimizing utility? How long does it take to optimize a drive? Is there a GPU assisted optimizer?

Why don't plotters do this automatically?

I'll give it a go on one of my 5TB drives and see if it improves the block mine time.
q327K091
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:15:45 AM

snip
snip
snip

[/quote]

Mobo-80$
Cpu-50$
Memory 8Gb 1866-100$
PSU(modular 630w)-65$
USB 8Gb drive-5$

[/quote]

people mine BURST for fun, many have unloaded THOUSANDS of dollars and not just one person for pure fun, crazy ha ? but true

btw bumped to Western Digital rep. by the hard drive section they are placing their drives next to Seagate , many drives were bought because of BURST, wish I had "BURST" business card  Cool

--

still bewildered as to the nature of network capacity oscillations up 16 P then down 8 P , has to be some sort of large data center someone has access to, quite possibly only person selling because anyone with price tag as quoted above for equipment to sell BURST now must be purely NUTS

--

for ROI you will be better off to use hard drive space for CETI purpose and hope you discover a "signal" which would make u immediately rich  Cool
Yanakitu Tenatako

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:47:56 AM

snip
snip
snip

Mobo-80$
Cpu-50$
Memory 8Gb 1866-100$
PSU(modular 630w)-65$
USB 8Gb drive-5$

people mine BURST for fun, many have unloaded THOUSANDS of dollars and not just one person for pure fun, crazy ha ? but true

btw bumped to Western Digital rep. by the hard drive section they are placing their drives next to Seagate , many drives were bought because of BURST, wish I had "BURST" business card  Cool

--

still bewildered as to the nature of network capacity oscillations up 16 P then down 8 P , has to be some sort of large data center someone has access to, quite possibly only person selling because anyone with price tag as quoted above for equipment to sell BURST now must be purely NUTS

--

for ROI you will be better off to use hard drive space for CETI purpose and hope you discover a "signal" which would make u immediately rich  Cool

I saw smiley on almost every line, so I cannot take your word for bad Smiley
Almost sounds like :"I see dead ppl" Smiley

Well, I really like BURST, and believe it will have great future. That is the reason for me to mine BURST.
Even if I did not joined mining team, I will still respect this coin and this idea. So, I believe we are on the same side.

About WD drives, I got 3 years warrany and they are acting fine, I dont much care of failure rate, because they are 24/7 teste, that is why
I took purple series. Also nice seek time and transfer rate.

Second, I am holding, not dumping BURST, I believe it will be much more valued in future.

Third, I have a 288Tb drive setup. 9 machines like I described.

My burst setups are working 24/7 no hickups. They are not askinkg ANY attention at all!  This is a song for me. Having 1000 machines will not take complete my work time.

Finally, ppl should mine BURST because it is fun, but also need to believe in BURST.

PS. About SETI Smiley I like it. Finding alien life is my biggest daydream. If that ever happened to me, last thing I would consider is getting rich. Money is just a dirty paper that holds you in chains. Actually, I will trade all my investments for a close encounter experience.

Yanakitu Tenatako

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 12:54:37 AM

@mmmaybe

As described earlier, I have faith and active participation in BURST community, but really have no time and knowledge to help, also my English is horrible, but I hope for a "honored member" or "believer" ribbon Smiley Or just "Burster senior" Smiley

q327K091
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 04:29:43 AM

@mmmaybe

As described earlier, I have faith and active participation in BURST community, but really have no time and knowledge to help, also my English is horrible, but I hope for a "honored member" or "believer" ribbon Smiley Or just "Burster senior" Smiley

glad I made you smile and as far SETI, I will leave my house keys , wallets unlocked, passwords to cryptsy bittrex polo something, and trade for an encounter just the same,

seeing magnitude of "blockchain" discovery who is to say they are not already here
mczarnek

Activity: 527

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 05:36:38 AM

Back from vacation!

Maybe could've been better but I think that we should be applauding their work.. still a good article for Burst and should be appreciated so others are encouraged to write articles about Burst.

Also, nice to hear that POC2 is progressing nicely. Smiley

One comment, Nxt did solve the nothing at stake problem regarding mining in multiple chains to my satisfaction.. simple trick, if a miner doesn't see a block within 15(or X) seconds then don't count it's difficulty in your calculation when choosing which chain to build off of.  Suddenly those chains are ignored and similar to how the shortest chain is ignored, miners are forced into mining for the correct chain because mining for other chaiuns ill simply be ignored by the rest of the network.  One other huge security advantage over POS, no possibility of a history key attack.

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Segwit | Core 0.14 | Masternodes
XEVAN | DK3 | Electrum soon
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
Litebit.eu | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
mmmaybe

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 09:27:25 AM

Back from vacation!

Finally! I thought you had settled down for good in Costa Rica Wink

BURST Community PR Team continues for try and spread knowledge of the this awesome coin. Now we are featured on two more crypto-boards

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/28465-ann-burst-hard-disk-mining-with-smart-contracts/
http://bitcoingarden.tk/forum/index.php?topic=2579.0

Now when Bitcointalk have problems staying online, members might seek alternatives. So check those two out Smiley

mmmaybe

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 09:34:40 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2015, 11:50:17 AM by mmmaybe

Btw, I don't know if we ever posted the press release that were sent to cryptocurrancy sites but here it is:

BURST Beats Ethereum and Counterparty to Smart Contracts by a long shot
http://burstcoin.info/SmartContracts.pdf

Hopefully we can follow up that with more PRs:)

***EDIT: A new article published, have a look at https://medium.com/ , frontpage

vbcs

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

AT - Automated Transactions - CIYAM Developer

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 01:24:10 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2015, 05:20:36 PM by vbcs

Hey,

Today I am going to deploy the first AT use case: The Lottery AT.

I created a new account ( BURST-2Z98-XJU6-A2UA-FDKZP ), which will be used to send funds to the Lottery without participating in the draw. That way we can "kickstart" the lottery with an amount for the first draw to create more interest and winnings for the winner of the first decentralized lottery using AT. So any funds send to that address will be send back to Lottery AT account.

I am thinking the ticket size to cost 2000 burst. The lottery fees for processing the txs are about 15burst. So the final amount to participate to the lottery will be 2015 burst. If you think the ticket amount is too big or too small please say so.

The lottery will pay the winner the total worth of tickets purchased approx. every 1 week plus all extra that were sent to the special address to help seed the Lottery payout

When participating to the lottery, the AT will create a random ticket for you after 15 blocks. The ticket is sent back to the participant through a normal tx with the ticket ( in hex format ) included as a message. Due to a limitation of the AT txs only one ticket can be send back as a message to each participant per block, although if you send more in one block the AT always draws a ticket for each different tx, so that limitation does not mean you will not get more tickets per block per tx if you make multiple purchases.

I created a .html file which needs to be copied under the directory /html/ui/ inside burst folder. After you copy the html file you can use the browser to access it ( http://localhost:8125/atlotteries.html  ). The html displays the lottery state (current winner account, total current winnings e.t.c) and provides also a button for quick ticket purchase.
Here is a screenshot of the resulted .html : https://i.imgur.com/Pz8H2SQ.png

If you are using http://localhost:8125 to access your burst wallet then download this version:
https://mega.co.nz/#!KcZiTBBS!V5SobUhbDGu7Dcw2un1jGszIM3Scl0e3feK9wduKPlU

else if you are using http://127.0.0.1:8125 to access burst wallet this version:
https://mega.co.nz/#!GBhwCTAD!NucXtJh7o9h-4R_gJafnY7xVlgbKJ5IEZ0tA7AYadyM

Also here you can see the lottery's code that will be deployed here : http://pastebin.com/xiDdMzEG

Regards

- vbcs

1ELCU3hahFLMPPqsoHS2Mg2Rqjya6VXjAW
mmmaybe

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 02:12:28 PM

Hey,

Today I am going to deploy the first AT use case: The Lottery AT.

I created a new account ( BURST-2Z98-XJU6-A2UA-FDKZP ), which will be used to send funds to the Lottery without participating in the draw. That way we can "kickstart" the lottery with an amount for the first draw to create more interest and winnings for the winner of the first decentralized lottery using AT. So any funds send to that address will be send back to Lottery AT account.
[---]
Regards

- vbcs

Wow Smiley History being made right here, guys!! First time ever a blockchain is used for a trustless, decentralized lottery! This's exactly why AT's and Smart Contract is such a big deal. Even if it's "only" a lottery, this is like a proof-of-concept of what this whole technology enables; a fun and historic lottery proofs that much more advanced feature is possible. For such examples, see CIYAM's site at http://ciyam.org/at/.

This is what coins like Counterparty and Ethereum are trying to create, but vbcs, burstdev and CIYAM really did with BURST! When this spreads, I simply can't see BURST being traded at the levels it is now. Just WOW! And a BIG thanks to the guys who made this possible.  Smiley

And don't forget to buy a ticket or two and be part of cryptocurrency history!

Pages: « 1 ... 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 [856] 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 ... 1315 »
  Print  

Jump to: