Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:57:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S4 Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 301198 times)
bolehvpn

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 09:16:28 AM

I have an interesting finding. If you find your hash rate stuck at 1.7-1.8, try this:

Power off the PSU and turn off the mains.

Power on the PSU with the mains off, it will power on the PSU for a bit, show an amber light, and then go out.

Wait a few seconds, then power it on again. My S4 seems to be hashing a bit better and more stably now.

BolehVPN [Offshore, no log VPN|Accepts BTC, DASH and XEM]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 01:00:29 PM

Just my 2 cents but we all know they run/test those machines before they ship it. They had PSU failure and they closed their eyes ...

This is really sad ...
I think you have a valid point. Unless, they only tested for less than a week prior to shipping. I would give them the benefit of doubt since they have been really good miner manufacturer. I'm sure all the miners have horror stories with other ASIC miner manufacturers especially with pre-orders not delivering on time and many problems from the start.

I definitely will purchase S4s. But it's matter of when I see most of the miners are satisfy. There will be few who will never be satisfied no matter what.

Developping an internal power supply required 2 things : A lot of time and a lot of testing (passimg all the regulations)

I only use Antmimer products, hope they learn from it
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 02:10:06 PM

Just my 2 cents but we all know they run/test those machines before they ship it. They had PSU failure and they closed their eyes ...

This is really sad ...
I think you have a valid point. Unless, they only tested for less than a week prior to shipping. I would give them the benefit of doubt since they have been really good miner manufacturer. I'm sure all the miners have horror stories with other ASIC miner manufacturers especially with pre-orders not delivering on time and many problems from the start.

I definitely will purchase S4s. But it's matter of when I see most of the miners are satisfy. There will be few who will never be satisfied no matter what.

Developping an internal power supply required 2 things : A lot of time and a lot of testing (passimg all the regulations)

I only use Antmimer products, hope they learn from it

The power supply is bought in, its not a Bitmain product.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 02:11:59 PM

This is really sad ...

As others have said, the units were not tested for as long to notice PSU failures. Bitmain is working on the PSUs ASAP.

cathoderay

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 02:25:46 PM

You could say that for pretty much 80% of the components in an S4 - it's no excuse. Bitmain should have tested the components properly. Even the other 20% of stuff in them that that Bitmain did make themselves, ie firmware, drivers etc don't work properly - again because they didn't test it. The S4 is a box of nails, easily the worst miner they've cobbled together so far.

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
Avoid manipulative Exchanges - Localbitcoins.com
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 02:52:00 PM

You could say that for pretty much 80% of the components in an S4 - it's no excuse. Bitmain should have tested the components properly. Even the other 20% of stuff in them that that Bitmain did make themselves, ie firmware, drivers etc don't work properly - again because they didn't test it. The S4 is a box of nails, easily the worst miner they've cobbled together so far.
Don't expect anything neutral from Dogie, he\she is on the payroll!
dlowings

Activity: 226

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 03:32:20 PM

I own 4 S4's other then the power supply and the CGminer issues it is a good build . I don't work for Bitmain. I have already had one PSU failure but that aside the unit is a nice build. The thing that pisses me off is this, I sit here going back and forth to get my unit fixed, "still no RMA" and as every hour rolls buy I take a hit on ROI … Bitmain offers ZERO compensation for their failure. with their shipping rates, their 50 dollar coupons are worthless, so I ask whats the point … I like the S4 concept, but I see poor execution …

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
cathoderay

Activity: 379

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 03:52:33 PM

Exactly, which makes his Manufacturers Trustworthiness guide instantly biased & inaccurate:

Quality issues?    No  Roll Eyes
Communication    Good  Cheesy
Only sells in hand hardware, continued success.  Roll Eyes

Yeah.......

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
Avoid manipulative Exchanges - Localbitcoins.com
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 04:04:13 PM

Exactly, which makes his Manufacturers Trustworthiness guide instantly biased & inaccurate:

Quality issues?    No  Roll Eyes
Communication    Good  Cheesy
Only sells in hand hardware, continued success.  Roll Eyes

Yeah.......

[Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Manufacturer Trustworthiness Guide [12th Sept]

bolehvpn

Activity: 136

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 04:47:46 PM

Why is everyone so offensive to Dogie? :/ Think he does a good job

BolehVPN [Offshore, no log VPN|Accepts BTC, DASH and XEM]
TracerX

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:01:04 PM

Time to update that then bitch?

No need to be a dick, man.  We're all expected to make our own decisions here--if people buy a product before doing any research in a specific model (in this case, the S4) then they may be in for a bad time.  Dogie's manufacturer guide is a starting point, not the end all be all.  What dog (pardon the pun) do you have in this fight?
MissouriMiner

Activity: 312

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:11:37 PM

Regarding editing parameters and/or using CK's cgminer.  Changes to /etc/init.d/cgminer.sh and /usr/bin are not saved when rebooted.  Where can we set parameters that will be persistent?
OneCardShy

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:12:50 PM

I'm going to have to agree here. Dogie's 'paid position' is technical support and not sales or design. Additionally, in his non-paid role as member of this community, he has been open and helpful about every miner that he is familiar with,  in multiple threads.

I have an S2 that hasn't run right since it was purchased, the S3 line was botched since pre-S3+ (IMHO) and now it looks like the S4 is going to turn out to be a roll of the dice to see whether it can eek out a positive ROI or if it will burn your house down. But let's not take our frustrations out on one of the few people who can voice legitimate concerns straight to the top, and who goes out of his way to help others / noobs when he isn't busy getting beaten up by angry miners.

-OCS
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 05:17:23 PM

He used to be a an arrogant mouthpiece, so it's likely he takes flack from his past dealings.  He's been trying really hard to chane that and help people out so I cut him some slack.  Others, not so much.
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 05:22:55 PM

He used to be a an arrogant mouthpiece, so it's likely he takes flack from his past dealings.  He's been trying really hard to chane that and help people out so I cut him some slack.  Others, not so much.

Yes, anyone here long enough to recall Dogie's investment scam? LOL i bet the fcker delete that post now.

How are your multiple successful businesses Dogie?

To you specifically, what on EARTH are you talking about? Search via google on bitcointa.lk, either you're hard trolling or mistaking me for someone totally different.

To everyone else: [Can we move this conversation to one of my threads, not the Bitmain one please: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=456691.0]

pikachuy

Activity: 544

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 06:21:37 PM

Batch 2 S4 has new PSU.  and all the future batches.  

batch 1 with PSU problems are being replaced as we speak. (When RMA is needed)

If you have a DOA or defective PSU, PLEASE DO NOT OPEN the PSU case.  It can be life threatening hazard inside the PSU. HIGH VOLTAGE.

and we are still wake!!  Its late in China but staffs are still working around the clock as usual.

As information becomes available, we will provide more

Cgminer & Firmware part wise, tremendous supports from Ckolivas and Kano are placed into this, but please wait for the programmers to finish their work.  

How do you tell if we got the batch 2 with the new PSU? I ordered from a third party site claiming to be from batch 2, but is worried they might of sent a S4 from batch 1. Is there anything you can give us to tell the difference from batch 1 and batch 2 of the new PSU from the S4?
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 07:06:13 PM

How do you tell if we got the batch 2 with the new PSU? I ordered from a third party site claiming to be from batch 2, but is worried they might of sent a S4 from batch 1. Is there anything you can give us to tell the difference from batch 1 and batch 2 of the new PSU from the S4?

Good question, I'll check back.

MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 08:46:57 PM

If your unit was shipped directly from the factory after October 10th, the S4 has different PSU (Replaced PSU) inside.

If you purchased from any third party but the unit was shipped from the factory after October 10th, the S4 has Batch 2 PSU.

I will go look for the pictures if there are any difference in physical appearance.

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
pikachuy

Activity: 544

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 08:59:57 PM

If your unit was shipped directly from the factory after October 10th, the S4 has different PSU (Replaced PSU) inside.

If you purchased from any third party but the unit was shipped from the factory after October 10th, the S4 has Batch 2 PSU.

I will go look for the pictures if there are any difference in physical appearance.

Thank you, providing pictures would be best or maybe some indication by serial numbers of the S4? I'm assuming resellers would say they have the latest batch just to get it sold or trying to sell a used or older S4 batch as a newer batch. And there would be no way proving it unless you will be able to provide us with some differences for us to check on our own =) Thanks for the update and I will wait for your responses to keep my mind at ease and not risking my S4 burning down my house or not worrying if it is an actually Batch 2 model and not a Batch 1.
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 09:21:49 PM

If you buy direct from http://www.bitmaintech.com or http://www.bitmain.com you know it is the batch 2 with a new PSU, tho  Wink

But depends on where you are in the world, resellers may make sense, too

Thank you, providing pictures would be best or maybe some indication by serial numbers of the S4? I'm assuming resellers would say they have the latest batch just to get it sold or trying to sell a used or older S4 batch as a newer batch. And there would be no way proving it unless you will be able to provide us with some differences for us to check on our own =) Thanks for the update and I will wait for your responses to keep my mind at ease and not risking my S4 burning down my house or not worrying if it is an actually Batch 2 model and not a Batch 1.

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: