Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:18:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 [496] 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 ... 814 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [1500 TH] p2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, Hop-Proof pool  (Read 2591633 times)
bryonp

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 07:42:42 AM
Last edit: August 07, 2014, 08:17:18 AM by bryonp

/#+# should only be needed if your running on a node that has other miners on it that are not yours. Otherwise it may be best to let it autoadjust...i.e. don't use it.
As this is what I have read.... so I tried to test things out because as everyone has noticed its getting much more difficult to find the shares.
BUT I am on my own and no one else is hashing on my node but me.
I think from what I have seen in the past 3 months hashing only p2pool that its best for me to leave it alone and let it auto adjust. I am running s-1's.
OK at least a few blocks to make it worth our time!!!!

OK 1 last thing, If you were to jump around a bit (node to node) and or reset your own pool
(it will reset all the shares and stuff back to 0 and start fresh for you)
BUT if you go here and find your addresss it will keep all your stats for you

http://p2pool.info/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 12:41:27 PM

/#+# should only be needed if your running on a node that has other miners on it that are not yours. Otherwise it may be best to let it autoadjust...i.e. don't use it.
As this is what I have read.... so I tried to test things out because as everyone has noticed its getting much more difficult to find the shares.
I think from what I have seen in the past 3 months hashing only p2pool that its best for me to leave it alone and let it auto adjust. I am running s-1's.

OK 1 last thing, If you were to jump around a bit (node to node) and or reset your own pool

The data on p2pool.info has been incorrect since Forrest relaunched it. The most obvious is # of miners...

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 01:30:48 PM

Your local p2pool node does not persist your found/orphaned/dead shares across node restarts.  However, all of your active shares do indeed remain on the share chain - which is precisely why you can move from node to node without consequence.  p2pool.info seems to have some incorrect information, especially number of miners.  At this point I'm far more trusting of windpath's numbers on http://minefast.coincadence.com since he's been very active in the development of the front end and has spent time on this forum explaining how he makes his calculations and soliciting feedback from us on how to make things better or more accurate.

I'm really looking forward to hearing back from somebody regarding setting share difficulty to /0.  Everything I've seen in the code states that if you set it to 0, p2pool then sets it to 2**256-1.  There's nothing else there indicating that setting it to /0 will then set your difficulty to the p2pool minimum value.  I'm going to see if setting the pool to run in debug mode will offer any more insight to the effect of /0, and maybe lead me to a place in the code that I've missed thus far.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
kgb2mining

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 02:22:48 PM

Removing this from my miners now, to see if there's any noticeable difference after running them with the /+ for a few days.  Since I'm now on my own node it should also hopefully not matter as was pointed out.
dlasher

Activity: 467
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 07:59:51 PM

Any quick fix for getting pypy happy with twisted on Ubuntu 14 LTS? python-twisted is installed, python runs p2pool just fine, but trying to run it with pypy errors:

bitcoind@p2pool:~/p2pool$ pypy run_p2pool.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "app_main.py", line 72, in run_toplevel
  File "/home/bitcoind/p2pool/run_p2pool.py", line 3, in <module>
    from p2pool import main
  File "/home/bitcoind/p2pool/p2pool/main.py", line 17, in <module>
    from twisted.internet import defer, reactor, protocol, tcp
ImportError: No module named twisted
ceslick

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

digging in the bits... now ant powered!

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2014, 08:31:39 PM

Variance is being a bi@tch... no shares in over 30hours on 800GHS!! Expected payouts dropped form 0.02 to 0.003!!!

May the God's of Share smile upon me again!

http://www.integratedideas.net  - Home of Rock Solid Miners
NZ Based BTC P2Pool: http://www.integratedideas.net/p2pool-btc/  -  NZ Based DOGE P2Pool: http://www.integratedideas.net/p2pool-doge/
Cloud mining with CEX.IO: https://cex.io/r/2/ceslicknz/0/
kebabman

Activity: 655
Merit: 504

You wan chili saus?

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 10:52:11 PM

So, my local node is up and running all happy, and I have a couple miners pointed to it.  All I have to say is - Holy good DOA Batman!  Local node DOA rates so far are well under 2%, hovering around 1.1-1..2% pretty consistently, for around 2.6Th/s.  Will see how things progress over time and if all stays good I'll point all my miners to it.

Right now have 6 outbound peers, 0 in until we get the DMZ openings done.  Seems to be working fine without opening it so far.

So, silly n00b P2Pool question - if I use the same mining address as I switch pools, will the share history cross over?  I've been mining on coincadence and have obviously much share history there, will it transfer so I don't have any gaps in my earnings?

What was your DOA on Coincadence? New to p2pool and trying to work out what a "good" effiency for a node is, I see Coincadence runs about 90%, what does your local node run at?

Can you also let us know what your earnings are like on local node vs your time on Coincadence please, I'm debating setting up my own node, but want to know it's worth the effort first. Thanks! Smiley
contactlight

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 11:01:51 PM

So, my local node is up and running all happy, and I have a couple miners pointed to it.  All I have to say is - Holy good DOA Batman!  Local node DOA rates so far are well under 2%, hovering around 1.1-1..2% pretty consistently, for around 2.6Th/s.  Will see how things progress over time and if all stays good I'll point all my miners to it.

Right now have 6 outbound peers, 0 in until we get the DMZ openings done.  Seems to be working fine without opening it so far.

So, silly n00b P2Pool question - if I use the same mining address as I switch pools, will the share history cross over?  I've been mining on coincadence and have obviously much share history there, will it transfer so I don't have any gaps in my earnings?

What was your DOA on Coincadence? New to p2pool and trying to work out what a "good" effiency for a node is, I see Coincadence runs about 90%, what does your local node run at?

Can you also let us know what your earnings are like on local node vs your time on Coincadence please, I'm debating setting up my own node, but want to know it's worth the effort first. Thanks! Smiley

I get about 5-6% DOA on Coincadance but anything below the global P2Pool DOA is good enough. The lower the better obviously.

When I set up my node, my DOA was around 2-3%. It was consistently lower than Coincadance but I like the user interface there.
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2014, 11:33:33 PM

Having looked into the effect of using /# on BTC it appears that the p2pool hash rate is so large that most miners are already running at the minimum p2pool share diff. Unless you are on a node that has over 1.6% (something like that) of the hash rate for p2pool you should be getting the lowest possible share diff....so for BTC it shouldn't really matter if you use /# unless you are on an extreamly large node.

The problem is that the lowest possible share diff is so large that miners with lower hashrate are missing blocks since they are not getting shares into the chain in a timely manner...hence the scalability issue. Will only get worse for the smaller miners as more hashrate is added to p2pool.

For example this guy with 143 Gh/s is estimated to get a share every 1d 18h and already has the lowest possible p2pool share diff.

Expected Time to Block on p2pool is 0d 12h 19m 11s so they are missing payments on blocks due to not being able to get a share in time.

Again, after seeing that the minimum p2pool share diff has gotten so high I don't think /# will make a difference unless you are on a "public" node with more than 1.6% of the p2pool hashrate.

+# is a different story but I'll leave that for another time  Smiley

How's that saying go, damn if you do; damned if you don't. It appears that the larger p2pool gets the worse it is for smaller miners....quite the dilemma since it needs to keep getting bigger to stay relevant.

squashpile

Activity: 125

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2014, 12:36:58 AM

lol no doubt.. miner with lowest hashrate with twice the expected payout on my pool ATM. Some crappy ass luck on my S3's lately lol

Haa.. few min after I posted, but yeah.
2014-08-07 19:40:02.847245 GOT SHARE!

Variance is being a bi@tch... no shares in over 30hours on 800GHS!! Expected payouts dropped form 0.02 to 0.003!!!

May the God's of Share smile upon me again!

SquashPool - 0% Fee - Dedicated P2Pool VPS - Atlanta, GA - SSD - Gig uplink
kgb2mining

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 02:18:24 AM

Cliff notes - IMHO if you have the resources to do it, I would recommend it.  It's an easy enough setup and I am now a firm believer that latency really counts for a lot when dealing with P2Pool.  For full explanation, read on... Wink

DOA over there was on average 8-10%, with it recently staying in the low teens for a good amount of time.  Right now I seem to be hovering between 2-4% on average, a marked improvement.  I'm about 36 hours up on my node, and I have 34 shares, 3 dead, 1 orphan, 105.1% efficiency so far.  I've been up as high as 112.4% earlier today, but I've seen no lower than 98%.

I've split my miners into 4 separate groups with separate addresses.  I have 3 groups of 12 S1's, and a group of 2 Terraminers for a total of just around 9.2TH.  This was done for a couple reasons, but mainly to try to keep the hashrates for each "miner" similar so there wouldn't be too much share diff variance.  I believe it's not supposed to matter if it's your own node, but it's working out well so far having it this way.

For earnings, honestly at the moment I'm not sure because the default interface is extremely hard to read, plus I don't have a long enough run with all my mining groups to really have it stable, the payouts are still normalizing.  I "think" my earnings are better so far but I'm having a hard time telling from these graphs.

I have to say the work windpath has done on his interface is phenomenal, it's so much better than the default it's not even funny.  His interface makes all of the information you want to see very well organized and easy to look and tell within seconds of looking at the interface.  If I wasn't seeing such an improvement in the DOA and efficiency numbers, I would go back to mining there just for the interface.
contactlight

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 02:49:05 AM

Cliff notes - IMHO if you have the resources to do it, I would recommend it.  It's an easy enough setup and I am now a firm believer that latency really counts for a lot when dealing with P2Pool.  For full explanation, read on... Wink

DOA over there was on average 8-10%, with it recently staying in the low teens for a good amount of time.  Right now I seem to be hovering between 2-4% on average, a marked improvement.  I'm about 36 hours up on my node, and I have 34 shares, 3 dead, 1 orphan, 105.1% efficiency so far.  I've been up as high as 112.4% earlier today, but I've seen no lower than 98%.

I've split my miners into 4 separate groups with separate addresses.  I have 3 groups of 12 S1's, and a group of 2 Terraminers for a total of just around 9.2TH.  This was done for a couple reasons, but mainly to try to keep the hashrates for each "miner" similar so there wouldn't be too much share diff variance.  I believe it's not supposed to matter if it's your own node, but it's working out well so far having it this way.

For earnings, honestly at the moment I'm not sure because the default interface is extremely hard to read, plus I don't have a long enough run with all my mining groups to really have it stable, the payouts are still normalizing.  I "think" my earnings are better so far but I'm having a hard time telling from these graphs.

I have to say the work windpath has done on his interface is phenomenal, it's so much better than the default it's not even funny.  His interface makes all of the information you want to see very well organized and easy to look and tell within seconds of looking at the interface.  If I wasn't seeing such an improvement in the DOA and efficiency numbers, I would go back to mining there just for the interface.

I wish he opensourced the interface.
ftoole

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 02:51:43 AM

He is releasing it in November he stated in one of his posts.
flound1129

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

www.multipool.us

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 02:53:54 AM

How's that saying go, damn if you do; damned if you don't. It appears that the larger p2pool gets the worse it is for smaller miners....quite the dilemma since it needs to keep getting bigger to stay relevant.

It would be great if someone could take p2pool over and make it perform better and address the issues.  I would move Multipool's ~250TH back to BTC p2pool in a heartbeat if it could handle the load.

Multipool - Always mine the most profitable coin - Scrypt, X11 or SHA-256!
tf315

Activity: 71

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 03:44:41 AM

Try this one:
https://github.com/johndoe75/p2pool-node-status

Its similar to the one from coincadence at the node level. In fact he links to it at the bottom of the node page (click "Node Stats Front-end" to see it). I use it in a subdirectory of the regular extended one and it works just fine.
fire000

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 10:55:08 AM

I have sat back and read a few pages now of this....   I going to add my bit here lol....   I will start of saying I use to mine on p2pool with s1 ants...  It used to be good when the share diff was around 1mil use to hit a few each day...

But I left the p2pool set up when the diff shoot up to 2.5 mil as was not hitting share often enough vs a normal bitcoin pool and found the normal bitcoin pools were out doing the p2 earning wise....  

Now after sitting back for the last 2 days and watching the ants vs the diff of the p2 of 5 mil I would of hit a total of 1 shares for the 2 days on 3 ants so glad I moved the ants off P2 when I did a couple months back Smiley......    

Unless you are running 1th rigs forgot p2pool as you will earn no where the amount you would on a normal pool...

A few may want to try this experment above on their rigs and take note of ya best shares vs the p2 share diff and it will wake a few up to why ya not hitting shares....   As I said here unless ya running 1th + rigs these days p2 will hurt ya earnings wise from my testing over the last couple days.

Ps by 1th rigs I mean 1th rigs eg s2 ants knc eg   and not 4-5 s1 ants or 2-3 s3's to get that 1th figure
fire000

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 11:07:25 AM
Last edit: August 08, 2014, 11:20:47 AM by fire000

also further to this current talk in here lol the /0 command sets to the bear min of the share diff on the miner as per the node diff so if the diff is 5mil for example it set the diff to 5mil   if it 7mil it sets to 7mil....      

But on saying this that /0 command can be used to set a diff higher than the min diff only for example if the diff was 5mil    you can set ya rig to a diff via the / number command to say 7.5 mil   eg /7500000   if this set under the current share diff on the nodes it defaults to the min diff on the node eg if you set it for 2.5 mil for example and the current diff was 5mil for a share it would default to the min diff of 5mil as that 2.5mil setting is below the current diff of 5mil

mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:03:03 PM

It would be great if someone could take p2pool over and make it perform better and address the issues.  I would move Multipool's ~250TH back to BTC p2pool in a heartbeat if it could handle the load.

What do you mean by handle the load?  It's at 1.81PH/s right now, share difficulty is at 6.5 million.  If you've got hardware that works with p2pool, this is as good as it gets right now.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
fire000

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:16:05 PM

It would be great if someone could take p2pool over and make it perform better and address the issues.  I would move Multipool's ~250TH back to BTC p2pool in a heartbeat if it could handle the load.

What do you mean by handle the load?  It's at 1.81PH/s right now, share difficulty is at 6.5 million.  If you've got hardware that works with p2pool, this is as good as it gets right now.

M

I think what flound getting at here is the diff issue as that hash rate goes up the diff will also keep rising and knocking more and more rigs off the face the earth of hitting shares unless ya running mining farms.....     Think of it in terms of the BTC diff the more hash added the faster the blocks are found the higher the diff rises....    The same issue applies here to P2POOL as that hash rate keeps rising that share diff will keep going up as the find times will be faster....     What someone needs to do somewhere down the line is change the amount of shares from what is is 3000 odd per block   to a larger number eg 12000 odd per block to match the rise in the hash rate on the network to bring it back down diff wise on the shares to gave the smaller miner a chance of hitting the shares as they once were able to do when the hash rate was low..... And in flound case been multipool they would have a mix of rigs in that 250 ths from small to large and if the s1 and s3 can not hit shares now and they make up alot of the network harsh rate on the btc what it going to be like in a pool double the hash it is today.

eg 3.6 ph   that would mean a diff off 13 mill +
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 08, 2014, 12:24:52 PM

It would be great if someone could take p2pool over and make it perform better and address the issues.  I would move Multipool's ~250TH back to BTC p2pool in a heartbeat if it could handle the load.

What do you mean by handle the load?  It's at 1.81PH/s right now, share difficulty is at 6.5 million.  If you've got hardware that works with p2pool, this is as good as it gets right now.

M

I think what flound getting at here is the diff issue as that hash rate goes up the diff will also keep rising and knocking more and more rigs off the face the earth of hitting shares unless ya running mining farms.....     Think of it in terms of the BTC diff the more hash added the faster the blocks are found the higher the diff rises....    The same issue applies here to P2POOL as that hash rate keeps rising that share diff will keep going up as the find times will be faster....     What someone needs to do somewhere down the line is change the amount of shares from what is is 3000 odd per block   to a larger number eg 12000 odd per block to match the rise in the hash rate on the network to bring it back down diff wise on the shares to gave the smaller miner a chance of hitting the shares as they once were able to do when the hash rate was low.....

How do that has been hashed and re-hashed here.  If you decrease the share difficulty, you increase the time between job restarts.  Right now it's at 30 seconds, which I believe is what causes the problem with S2s and likely other ASIC hardware.  Those that have been with p2pool for a while will remember that it used to be 10 seconds, and it was changed to 30 seconds because 10 seconds was way too short for ASICs.

I don't believe this "more hashrate means higher share difficulty means harder for smaller miners" problem is solvable with the current p2pool design.

That's why I suggested a new design not that long ago.  If I was single, didn't have two kids, and wasn't working on moving across the country I'd try to code my design a proof of concept, and maybe become the new p2pool author. 

Alas, I barely have time to do what I need to do anymore, let alone what I'd like to do. Sad

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
Pages: « 1 ... 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 [496] 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 ... 814 »
  Print  

Jump to: