Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:11:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058361 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:54:09 AM

Cause it make no sense to bloat namecoin. Icoin is not about DNS for websites, its for authenthicity of realms and avatars (HG).
Ok, thanks. I misunderstood what it was about from the website.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
acs26

June 21, 2013, 09:48:29 PM

Sorry for not being active on this thread. While I'm here, is there anything I should add? (Any new services, or Devcoin related threads.)

By the way.. What's up with recent threads like this? - Seems like a Pump N' Dump to me..

Edit: Just realized most of these threads were made by Fin Shaggy. What's up with that?
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:09:47 PM

Sorry for not being active on this thread. While I'm here, is there anything I should add? (Any new services, or Devcoin related threads.)

By the way.. What's up with recent threads like this? - Seems like a Pump N' Dump to me..

Edit: Just realized most of these threads were made by Fin Shaggy. What's up with that?

Fin Shaggy has been spreading a lot of crap that he thinks helps but is making things worse. Like when he says you can get thousands of DVC that were worth $10 each for writing.

Then again, look at his thread about the Bitcoin town and you'll see that he also kills any chances of that being successful. I'm still not sure if he's trying to destroy the two projects or if he just has no idea wtf he's doing, but all he is doing is giving BOTH projects a really negative light and spreading tons of misinformation about them.

This has been going on for a while and it's a big reason why it's becoming harder to get more people on board. He's acting like he's the spokesperson for DVC and spends most of his time either lying or being a complete douchebag to people.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 10:11:35 PM

Please let me know if there are any more objections against the "Namecoin Bounty" by now i count two.

acs26

June 21, 2013, 10:24:02 PM

Fin Shaggy has been spreading a lot of crap that he thinks helps but is making things worse. Like when he says you can get thousands of DVC that were worth $10 each for writing.

Then again, look at his thread about the Bitcoin town and you'll see that he also kills any chances of that being successful. I'm still not sure if he's trying to destroy the two projects or if he just has no idea wtf he's doing, but all he is doing is giving BOTH projects a really negative light and spreading tons of misinformation about them.

This has been going on for a while and it's a big reason why it's becoming harder to get more people on board. He's acting like he's the spokesperson for DVC and spends most of his time either lying or being a complete douchebag to people.

I thought I was the only person who saw this. Anybody who tries to help him, or look in another perspective is considered a troll. I personally think he's always high since he farms Marijuana, and he always looks high in his videos.

He doesn't think, to be more exact. He's saying, "Sell all ur stufferz for .1 cent. It's going to magically create Devcoin worth one cent." He's giving anything Devcoin related negative light. Most of his posts on other Devcoin related threads are about Devcoin being $10. Which makes the Devcoin community seem like pumper and dumpers, or utter spammers that want people to think like them.

And on the Spokesperson thing, I can kinda agree. But, if he continues doing it the Devcoin community might die. Especially since a few people think he's one of the developers of Devcoin, and is frustrated at his other idiotic ideas. (Not trying to judge him because he smokes Marijuana, but when people see things like this coming up on Google: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Fin+Shaggy , and they think he's a developer they'd probably automatically think he's trying to pump and dump to get money for his farm.

I'm personally probably going to bring this problem to Unthinking, and then delete any posts about 'pumping n' dumping' on this thread created by him (If there's any), and also probably the main one on this thread. Not trying to be harsh, but he's doing things without thinking, and without noticing it's affecting us all. If he keeps doing it, the Devcoin community might die out a little.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 10:32:15 PM

I thought I was the only person who saw this. Anybody who tries to help him, or look in another perspective is considered a troll. I personally think he's always high since he farms Marijuana, and he always looks high in his videos.

He doesn't think, to be more exact. He's saying, "Sell all ur stufferz for .1 cent. It's going to magically create Devcoin worth one cent." He's giving anything Devcoin related negative light. Most of his posts on other Devcoin related threads are about Devcoin being $10. Which makes the Devcoin community seem like pumper and dumpers, or utter spammers that want people to think like them.

And on the Spokesperson thing, I can kinda agree. But, if he continues doing it the Devcoin community might die. Especially since a few people think he's one of the developers of Devcoin, and is frustrated at his other idiotic ideas. (Not trying to judge him because he smokes Marijuana, but when people see things like this coming up on Google: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Fin+Shaggy , and they think he's a developer they'd probably automatically think he's trying to pump and dump to get money for his farm.

I'm personally probably going to bring this problem to Unthinking, and then delete any posts about 'pumping n' dumping' on this thread created by him (If there's any), and also probably the main one on this thread. Not trying to be harsh, but he's doing things without thinking, and without noticing it's affecting us all. If he keeps doing it, the Devcoin community might die out a little.

Regarding his highness, he's already self-proclaimed many times that he is "high 24/7." That came from him, and has been known by the community for a while now. It's another way he's shedding bad light on the projects he "tries to help." And if you watch his videos it's pretty obvious that it's true.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
acs26

June 21, 2013, 10:53:46 PM

Regarding his highness, he's already self-proclaimed many times that he is "high 24/7." That came from him, and has been known by the community for a while now. It's another way he's shedding bad light on the projects he "tries to help." And if you watch his videos it's pretty obvious that it's true.

Just P.Med Unthinking about it. Hopefully he decides to delete them. I don't think we're the only people that see Fin Shaggy as this.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:00:18 PM

Just P.Med Unthinking about it. Hopefully he decides to delete them. I don't think we're the only people that see Fin Shaggy as this.

We're not but the problem is he can only be moderated in our own thread. He's still a contributor to devtome, so he still has an interest in DVC as well. IIRC he's the guy that was pre-selling his DVC too (ex. saying "I need $x.xx, but I will have x DVC I can give to you in a few weeks").

wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:48:52 PM

One thing I'd really like to see more of is ways to invest Devcoins in sound companies.  I'm reading up on the ASIC miner DVC pass through share listed on Cryptostocks and the ASIC miner company itself and liking what I'm learning so far in terms of feeling that would be a good investment.  I'd like to see more opportunities like this.

Regarding propping up the Devcoin, here's the issue as I see it.  Right now, there isn't a whole lot to do with Devtome earnings other than trade them for BTC (to eventually trade for dollars or other national currency depending on where you live), or to just trade DVC directly to national currency.  Unfortunately, selling DVC off immediately after earning them devalues them further, which is a big problem in terms of earnings.  So, I can see the temptation to try to artificially prop up DVC value by listing them for a penny or other currently unattainably high value and trying to recruit others into doing so as well.  If that's what you choose to do as a way to help DVC, I guess that's fine.  However I don't see it as my obligation to prop up DVC value just because I'm writing for Devtome and earning them.  When it comes to what I will do with my earnings I need to make a decision based on what's best for me, and that's how it should be when it comes to currency.  Otherwise, you can try all you want to promote the currency and urge others to hold onto it or whatever, but it won't work.  There needs to be a self-interest reason for keeping DVC.  In my opinion, solid investments involving DVC would make keeping them more attractive.  If DVC is falling relative to BTC, then if I can put my DVC in an investment that makes them grow (i.e., returns me more of them) faster than the rate at which they are losing value relative to BTC, then I still come out ahead.  Without that I'd be more tempted to panic sell.  And I think the result of me putting some DVC in such investments would in turn provide positive feedback to the value of DVC.
Icoin

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 12:45:21 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2013, 01:06:13 AM by Icoin

i agree with wiser

I suggest independent of the writings there should be a competition about the quality of the donated articles, what would according to the ranking define the amount of gained DVC funds in addition to the method of defining charity donation receivers.

I think the bounty should be defined in various layers of interest not just in one - the word count.

Factors like atractivity and emotional expirience usefullness etc. are not yet involved and could be solved by a viewers voting system

This voting based method on top of the layer of the actual one would open the window for music and video, and shape the texts on devtome aswell.

Round contests for:

the best text
for music/audio (what about audiobooks)
for video
etc.

I allso suggest a voting layer of the admin team for the contributors and vice versa.

After working out such a system the next step would be the decentralized storage place for all the results.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:07:16 AM

i agree with wiser

I suggest independent of the writings there should be a competition about the quality of the donated articles, what would according to the ranking define the amount of gained DVC funds in addition to the method of defining charity donation receivers.

I think the bounty should be defined in various layers of interest not just in one - the word count.

Factors like atractivity and emotional expirience usefullness etc. are not yet involved and could be solved by a viewers voting system

This voting based method on top of the layer of the actual one would open the window for music and video, and shape the texts on devtome aswell.

Round contests for:

the best text
for video
etc.

I allso suggest a voting layer of the admin team for the contributors and vice versa.

After working out such a system the next step would be the decentralized storage place for all the results, and this way automatisation.

The problem with a voting contest is that it becomes more of a popularity contest. The number of people who vote is usually small enough (say 5k max if you have 1 million people) that it's very easy to sway the votes in your favor, without even having to try. I've always been against this type of thing and I will continue being against it.

The only real way to determine quality of content on a somewhat fair scale is to have a person, or a small group of people, review submissions and give their own input.

Icoin

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 01:15:50 AM

i agree with wiser

Round contests for:

the best text
for video
etc.

After working out such a system the next step would be the decentralized storage place for all the results, and this way automatisation.

The problem with a voting contest is that it becomes more of a popularity contest. The number of people who vote is usually small enough (say 5k max if you have 1 million people) that it's very easy to sway the votes in your favor, without even having to try. I've always been against this type of thing and I will continue being against it.

The only real way to determine quality of content on a somewhat fair scale is to have a person, or a small group of people, review submissions and give their own input.

i agree aswell with this argument, so basicaly this is the layering of the voting, this system has to be worked out in a way that all actual guys in charge has a tool to work with, but by now they just have contributed texts probably page views.

ranio, what would you suggest?

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:27:42 AM

i agree aswell with this argument, so basicaly this is the layering of the voting, this system has to be worked out in a way that all actual guys in charge has a tool to work with, but by now they just the have contributed texts probably page views.

I'm still working on coming up with a working solution. Essentially what I'm working on is finding something that is very difficult to exploit. So far everything I've seen tossed out is easy to manipulate.

It's definitely an interesting discussion though, and I'm always up for hearing new ideas people have. Coming up with a great solution has been ridiculously difficult, and the more people that are able to get involved, the harder it gets (ex. with voting systems).

One issue I've been having to try and work around is the fact that non-writers are allowed to join in, as well as those that write in other languages. As a direct example of what I am used to as a writer, it's more of a tiered approach, and I think it may work here as well if it's adapted in some way (I'm also willing to help work on coming up with a solid way of handling it). Essentially what has worked the best is to turn it into what you would expect from a job:

1) You are starting out as a newbie (generally) so you get paid minimum wage
2) If you aren't doing a good job, you're let go. If you are, move to #3
3) As your skills improve, you are promoted to a higher rank (and therefore higher pay)

The hard part here is determining 1) what the ranks should be and 2) how to determine promotions.

Some people may take this the wrong way, but it's the truth: not all writing is equal, nor should all writers be paid the same. Much like three mathematics professors will get paid different wages depending on their knowledge and experience, writers for DVC should be treated as separate people. It goes along the same lines as when you hire a writer. You can find someone to write an article for you at the cost of $5, but the quality will be noticeably different from someone who has more experience and charges more. While the cost for this other writer may be $30 per article, the quality is better and they are well worth the extra cost.

Icoin

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2013, 01:42:54 AM

I could never see a way of doing it without a trust system. There's a lot of projects with the same dilemma so maybe a distributed trust network is the key component.
1+

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:26:21 AM

i agree aswell with this argument, so basicaly this is the layering of the voting, this system has to be worked out in a way that all actual guys in charge has a tool to work with, but by now they just the have contributed texts probably page views.

I'm still working on coming up with a working solution. Essentially what I'm working on is finding something that is very difficult to exploit. So far everything I've seen tossed out is easy to manipulate.

It's definitely an interesting discussion though, and I'm always up for hearing new ideas people have. Coming up with a great solution has been ridiculously difficult, and the more people that are able to get involved, the harder it gets (ex. with voting systems).

One issue I've been having to try and work around is the fact that non-writers are allowed to join in, as well as those that write in other languages. As a direct example of what I am used to as a writer, it's more of a tiered approach, and I think it may work here as well if it's adapted in some way (I'm also willing to help work on coming up with a solid way of handling it). Essentially what has worked the best is to turn it into what you would expect from a job:

3) As your skills improve, you are promoted to a higher rank (and therefore higher pay)

The hard part here is determining 1) what the ranks should be and 2) how to determine promotions.

Some people may take this the wrong way, but it's the truth: not all writing is equal, nor should all writers be paid the same. Much like three mathematics professors will get paid different wages depending on their knowledge and experience, writers for DVC should be treated as separate people. It goes along the same lines as when you hire a writer. You can find someone to write an article for you at the cost of $5, but the quality will be noticeably different from someone who has more experience and charges more. While the cost for this other writer may be $30 per article, the quality is better and they are well worth the extra cost.

EzineArticles.com is probably the most respected article directory.  Writers contribute articles for free in exchange for the ability to backlink from a high page ranking site.  Each article is manually reviewed and accepted.  If you want quality and not just quantity or word count you may not be able to get around needing to have real people review content, in which case you have to consider a bounty for reviewers/editors.  I suppose proven writers could earn more relative to how much less effort reviewers need to expend evaluating and cleaning up their material.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:42:25 AM

EzineArticles.com is probably the most respected article directory.  Writers contribute articles for free in exchange for the ability to backlink from a high page ranking site.  Each article is manually reviewed and accepted.  If you want quality and not just quantity or word count you may not be able to get around needing to have real people review content, in which case you have to consider a bounty for reviewers/editors.  I suppose proven writers could earn more relative to how much less effort reviewers need to expend evaluating and cleaning up their material.

Ezine contributes so little with its backlinks that it's really worthless. A few years ago they were good, but the quality started dropping quickly (they accept some horrible articles -- I've tested this myself) and the value of the links went down as a result.

The pay is the huge concern to me. As an example, someone can write 1k words about a movie they like a lot easier than someone can write 1k words on astrophysics theories. Their value, therefore, is vastly different and should be treated as such.

metazilla

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:00:02 AM

One thing I'd really like to see more of is ways to invest Devcoins in sound companies.  I'm reading up on the ASIC miner DVC pass through share listed on Cryptostocks and the ASIC miner company itself and liking what I'm learning so far in terms of feeling that would be a good investment.  I'd like to see more opportunities like this.

And I think the result of me putting some DVC in such investments would in turn provide positive feedback to the value of DVC.

Agreed on all counts. ASCMDVCPT is awesome because it generates BTC from dividends and turns them into DVC, which raises the exchange rate, and offsets all the selling off of DVC that is happening. Unfortunately, right now ASCMDVCPT shares are overvalued - I just sold off about half my shares and was able to by nearly 20x of the equivalent shares by buying TAT.ASICMINER shares instead. I think this could potentially be solved by twobits/FuzzyBear buying a few more passthrough shares and issuing more ASCMDVCPT shares for a more reasonable price. Without competitive share prices, people are just going to sell their DVC for BTC and invest in ASICMINER directly. Perhaps someone could offer a service that acts sort of like ASCMDVCPT, but with the price fixed to the TAT.ASICMINER value?

As far as other DVC investments, I'm not sure there really is any solid investment one could offer other than an investment in ASICMINER... as far as I can tell, no other cryptostock has come close. We're going to need more options than just investing in ASICMINER to convince people to not cash out their DVC.

One other solution I considered was to make some sort of service allowing people to buy things directly with DVC - think BitPay or Gyft but with DVC instead. This way people wouldn't be in such a hurry to sell off their DVC for fiat. Although of course the problem here is the service would still be forced to somehow exchange the DVC for fiat in order to actually purchase the goods for their customers.

Thoughts?

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:15:30 AM

One thing I'd really like to see more of is ways to invest Devcoins in sound companies.  I'm reading up on the ASIC miner DVC pass through share listed on Cryptostocks and the ASIC miner company itself and liking what I'm learning so far in terms of feeling that would be a good investment.  I'd like to see more opportunities like this.

And I think the result of me putting some DVC in such investments would in turn provide positive feedback to the value of DVC.

Agreed on all counts. ASCMDVCPT is awesome because it generates BTC from dividends and turns them into DVC, which raises the exchange rate, and offsets all the selling off of DVC that is happening. Unfortunately, right now ASCMDVCPT shares are overvalued - I just sold off about half my shares and was able to by nearly 20x of the equivalent shares by buying TAT.ASICMINER shares instead. I think this could potentially be solved by twobits/FuzzyBear buying a few more passthrough shares and issuing more ASCMDVCPT shares for a more reasonable price. Without competitive share prices, people are just going to sell their DVC for BTC and invest in ASICMINER directly. Perhaps someone could offer a service that acts sort of like ASCMDVCPT, but with the price fixed to the TAT.ASICMINER value?

As far as other DVC investments, I'm not sure there really is any solid investment one could offer other than an investment in ASICMINER... as far as I can tell, no other cryptostock has come close. We're going to need more options than just investing in ASICMINER to convince people to not cash out their DVC.

One other solution I considered was to make some sort of service allowing people to buy things directly with DVC - think BitPay or Gyft but with DVC instead. This way people wouldn't be in such a hurry to sell off their DVC for fiat. Although of course the problem here is the service would still be forced to somehow exchange the DVC for fiat in order to actually purchase the goods for their customers.

Thoughts?

Mmm, I think maybe an auction-type site may help out with getting a little more usability on DVC, but you're right about needing more actual uses. One thing Feathercoin has been doing that I love is that they have really been pushing for things like merchant adoption, giving a value to FTC.

DVC should work on the same type of thing, getting merchants on board. While the merchants will be converting their DVC to fiat most likely, it should happen on a much smaller rate because it helps show people that the DVC has value and that there is reason to hold it. As it is now, I agree that the valuation of the coin is pretty low, and this is due to the lack of real uses as of now.

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:33:11 AM

That was something I was going to ask Fuzzy over on the Devcoin forum--if the ASIC Miner pass through share price was actually tied to the actual price of an ASIC Miner share, as in 1/1000 of whatever an ASIC miner share is worth these days, or if the price is merely based on how many devcoins people are willing to pay for that share on the Cryptostocks exchange.

Since ASIC miner shares have a price that's easy to look up, if they are selling for more than that on Cryptostocks, wouldn't that serve to further devalue the Devcoins?  I mean, wouldn't the exchange rate of DVC relative to BTC then adjust to reflect an equivalent value for the ASIC Miner PT share?  At any rate, it's a good reminder for me to check how the price of the ASIC miner DVC PT share translates into BTC *before* placing a buy order on Cryptostocks.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:46:56 AM

Ezine contributes so little with its backlinks that it's really worthless. A few years ago they were good, but the quality started dropping quickly (they accept some horrible articles -- I've tested this myself) and the value of the links went down as a result.

The pay is the huge concern to me. As an example, someone can write 1k words about a movie they like a lot easier than someone can write 1k words on astrophysics theories. Their value, therefore, is vastly different and should be treated as such.

About Ezine, I was mainly making the point that they manually review submissions and will reject articles which don't meet their specifications, and that had much to do with their success.  This means that 1, real human eyes are important, may even be vital, for an effort like Devtome; and 2, specifications or standards about what is considered acceptable content is also necessary if reviewers/editors are to make any sort of objective assessment of the content they are reviewing.  The value of Ezine for backlinking and traffic generation today relative to a few years ago is probably best discussed on an Internet marketing forum, so I won't argue about that point here Smiley

Wondering if a good place to start exploring is with this question:  What exactly is trying to be accomplished with the Devtome?  Related to that, what kind of content would best move that vision forward?

Once those questions are answered and clearly expressed, then followup questions would pertain to the specific content requirements, and then those requirements should be clearly posted so as to attract the writers who are able to write to those specifications while encouraging writers who do not write to those specifications to move on.

Having said all that, I do recognize that part of the vision of Devtome is to give freedom to writers to be creative and express themselves, and it would seem that having content requirements would work against that.  I don't have an answer at this point.  As a professional writer I can write to just about any specifications if it's a good job.  As a creative writer, I really like the current freedom to just write about whatever I feel like writing about.  The latter is definitely easier and more fun, but is it really what the Devtome needs?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: