Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:42:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597301 times)
deerough

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 06:40:34 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 07:35:32 PM by deerough

I am getting very inconsistent results.  Any have any ideas?  I am running 12 threads on BOINC and am at 100% processing power consistently.  I have two 280x getting about 1200 kh/s between them.  I started these up two days ago and find 10 blocks in 24 hours, but the next 24 hours I find nothing?  Back when my cudaminer worked I was getting 2 or 3 blocks consistently.  I updated to latest version first thing this morning after.  It has been about 10 hours still and no blocks.

Note:

I was on  v1.1.5.3-g71-prod i think the last time i found a block.  I was on  v1.1.5.4-g71-prod first thing this morning, and now  v1.1.5.5-g71-prod.  We will see what happens.  I am using the default settings from cgminer, no HW errors, and running through the mining console. 

I want to say that I am really excited about this coin's concept, and appreciate the work, but it is getting tough to be confident on whether i am mining correctly anymore. I used to run cgminer outside of the mining console, and had good results after adopting the console, until now.  Like i said, if anyone has any ideas of what i can check to make sure it is working properly, please let me know.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 06:43:19 PM

Is there a way to prevent the wallet size from increasing? I end up with my corruption when it's around 3.5 meg
So I bring out my 96k backup, and all is well... for a very short period of time. At least nothing is lost Smiley

Hi, Ill be looking at this asap to give more advice, but I think the large elephant in the room was the pool mining huge transaction count, and the .02 (temporary) transaction count.
Both of these things bloated the wallet unnecessarily and are now fixed.

Since were going live in an hour, both of these things are fixed; so now we have more time to look at them.

Thanks,
Grid

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 06:47:20 PM

I'm trying to move my coins to a new wallet but I'm getting a "Transaction too large" error.
This is not the error related to the fee. I've left adequate coins for the fee and this error follows.
The amount in the transfer is 2800.

edit: If I lower my transaction amount to 2000 I still get the same error. Both come with the following "Transaction creation failed".
If I lower the transaction amount to 1000 it tells me the transaction is too large but I can send it if I pay a 2 GRC fee instead of the normal .001

edit2: At a coin value of 150 some transactions send, others are too big.

You can send it if you send a few smaller transactions out that clean up your wallet private keys, then you can send the large ones; this is an existing feature of all coins;not
sure who the smart alleck is commenting that its a gridcoin issue lol.  Its not.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 06:50:26 PM

So really, the GRC software is completely separate from BOINC? 
This is just a scryptcoin distro that looks for a running instance of BOINC, and then hands out rewards based on BOINC utilization?

I'm not a developer, but this seems like it would be awfully easy to hack.  How is the proof of work verified?

Not trying to be antagonistic, but I think GRC is about to increase in popularity, and with that, flaws will be exploited.  It seems like a natural step in the evolution of GRC would be for BOINC to be handled at the pool server, with each connected miner appearing as a device in BOINC.

Miners would simply point their mining client at the pool, same as they would with any other scrypt coin.  This would require the pool server software to break up and parse out BOINC work units to the individual miners.  I'm sure this is no small task, but it probably needs to happen if GRC is to succeed.
Boinc credits are 3rd party API verified.  There is a 5000grc reward to hack it.  Have at it.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 06:51:06 PM

New Version Available: 7.74/1.1.5.5: Upgrade from the RPC :  Yes

*  CPU Mining is enabled in this version with up to 150grc payout per cpu-only miner per day.

Best Regards,
Grid

Mattzees

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 07:47:49 PM

This is just a scryptcoin distro that looks for a running instance of BOINC, and then hands out rewards based on BOINC utilization?

I'm not a developer, but this seems like it would be awfully easy to hack.  How is the proof of work verified?

Not trying to be antagonistic, but I think GRC is about to increase in popularity, and with that, flaws will be exploited.  It seems like a natural step in the evolution of GRC would be for BOINC to be handled at the pool server, with each connected miner appearing as a device in BOINC.

Miners would simply point their mining client at the pool, same as they would with any other scrypt coin.  This would require the pool server software to break up and parse out BOINC work units to the individual miners.  I'm sure this is no small task, but it probably needs to happen if GRC is to succeed.
Boinc credits are 3rd party API verified.  There is a 5000grc reward to hack it.  Have at it.

Maybe I'll have at it, when I can get it working in the first place.  No one has answered my previous posts about being unable to open the mining console.

traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:35:17 PM

I think I had that once, but once I ran it as admin it seemed to work. What dir did you install Gridcoin in?

Maybe I'll have at it, when I can get it working in the first place.  No one has answered my previous posts about being unable to open the mining console.

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:36:57 PM

I had an issue with scrypt mining on one of the rigs that had 3 7950. I had 4 gig ram and once I upgraded to 6 all gpu were running full speed. I am not sure if that is the same issue as you are having. You can try and it and see if it works.

How much ram does the system have?

Question: I'm hashing with two R9-290 with the guiminer scrypt. The first one (connected with monitor) reaches 840 khs the second without connection to a monitor got only 660 khs. Is that normal?
I'm using the same guiminer settings for both GPU's. Installed catalyst and and SDK only before using the first card. Used to second card just today.

8GB
deerough

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:42:11 PM

I had an issue with scrypt mining on one of the rigs that had 3 7950. I had 4 gig ram and once I upgraded to 6 all gpu were running full speed. I am not sure if that is the same issue as you are having. You can try and it and see if it works.

Question: I'm hashing with two R9-290 with the guiminer scrypt. The first one (connected with monitor) reaches 840 khs the second without connection to a monitor got only 660 khs. Is that normal?
I'm using the same guiminer settings for both GPU's. Installed catalyst and and SDK only before using the first card. Used to second card just today.

8GB

I see this as well but i am running two 280x with gpu capping at 550 khs while gpu 1 can almost do 700 khs on GRC.  changing intensity seems to make it worse. I have 8 gb ram installed.  i am wondering if gp0 is hindered by windows. i am not a linux guru so all my xp in mining has been windows.  also, i am a newb.
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:56:00 PM

New Version Available: 7.74/1.1.5.5: Upgrade from the RPC :  Yes

*  CPU Mining is enabled in this version with up to 150grc payout per cpu-only miner per day.

Best Regards,
Grid

does it means that i mine for 12 hours, i get 75grc?

and, can i mine with my cpu and at the same time with my GPU?
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:14:49 PM

What intensity and concurrent threads are you running? Also what is the temp of the gpu under load?

8GB

I see this as well but i am running two 280x with gpu capping at 550 khs while gpu 1 can almost do 700 khs on GRC.  changing intensity seems to make it worse. I have 8 gb ram installed.  i am wondering if gp0 is hindered by windows. i am not a linux guru so all my xp in mining has been windows.  also, i am a newb.
deerough

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:24:15 PM

I can tell at least in my xp, i have run at 13 i and 8192 tc and still have the issue.  both gpu hang around mid 70c

What intensity and concurrent threads are you running? Also what is the temp of the gpu under load?

8GB

Inrideo

Activity: 130

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:35:35 PM

Okie doke Smiley Glad to know that.
I have other coin wallets but they're not being used. Gridcoin all the way Smiley

I'm trying to move my coins to a new wallet but I'm getting a "Transaction too large" error.
This is not the error related to the fee. I've left adequate coins for the fee and this error follows.
The amount in the transfer is 2800.

edit: If I lower my transaction amount to 2000 I still get the same error. Both come with the following "Transaction creation failed".
If I lower the transaction amount to 1000 it tells me the transaction is too large but I can send it if I pay a 2 GRC fee instead of the normal .001

edit2: At a coin value of 150 some transactions send, others are too big.

You can send it if you send a few smaller transactions out that clean up your wallet private keys, then you can send the large ones; this is an existing feature of all coins;not
sure who the smart alleck is commenting that its a gridcoin issue lol.  Its not.

Gridcoin :: GGEijprFRgB8LFVDLbdKQK9CcysFXAXRop
Inrideo

Activity: 130

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:42:47 PM

Trying running it from the default location first and see if that resolves the issue. It's the simplest test to start with.

Gridcoin :: GGEijprFRgB8LFVDLbdKQK9CcysFXAXRop
Mattzees

Activity: 121

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:15:14 PM

I'm running it as admin.  It is installed into the /Username/Documents/Gridcoin  folder.  BOINC is also installed to the documents folder in /BOINCprogram   and /BOINCdata.

Gridcoin.conf has been modded to reflect this.

I think I had that once, but once I ran it as admin it seemed to work. What dir did you install Gridcoin in?

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:54:44 PM

I run my stuff on Win7 64bit, so I do not know how things will behave on XP. Xp is very old so there might be some kind of comparability issues that may be causing such behavior. I suggest you get win 7, you will not have any problems.

I can tell at least in my xp, i have run at 13 i and 8192 tc and still have the issue.  both gpu hang around mid 70c

8GB

I see this as well but i am running two 280x with gpu capping at 550 khs while gpu 1 can almost do 700 khs on GRC.  changing intensity seems to make it worse. I have 8 gb ram installed.  i am wondering if gp0 is hindered by windows. i am not a linux guru so all my xp in mining has been windows.  also, i am a newb.
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:56:43 PM

Try installing Gridcoin and Boinc into c:\Program Files folder. There may be some permission issues for folders.

I'm running it as admin.  It is installed into the /Username/Documents/Gridcoin  folder.  BOINC is also installed to the documents folder in /BOINCprogram   and /BOINCdata.

Gridcoin.conf has been modded to reflect this.

deerough

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:36:00 PM

sorry for confusion. meant xp as in experience. that's the gamer in me.  i am running win 8.1 64 bit. i have not tried going back to win 7.

I run my stuff on Win7 64bit, so I do not know how things will behave on XP. Xp is very old so there might be some kind of comparability issues that may be causing such behavior. I suggest you get win 7, you will not have any problems.

I can tell at least in my xp, i have run at 13 i and 8192 tc and still have the issue.  both gpu hang around mid 70c

8GB

I see this as well but i am running two 280x with gpu capping at 550 khs while gpu 1 can almost do 700 khs on GRC.  changing intensity seems to make it worse. I have 8 gb ram installed.  i am wondering if gp0 is hindered by windows. i am not a linux guru so all my xp in mining has been windows.  also, i am a newb.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:48:31 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 12:06:46 AM by aigeezer

I just noticed Gridcoin is writing HUGE debug log files in the Appdata Roaming Gridcoin directory. For example: debug.log which might be a backup is 4,505 KB and debug2.log which is being added to in real time is now 2,328,818 KB - over 2.3 gig and growing. I don't think I've ever turned on logging when running Gridcoin.

Also, I notice that recent versions have added a line to gridcoin.conf that says UpdatingLeaderboard=false which might explain why the leaderboard screens show nothing on my system for the last few days. My old backup gridcoin.conf files don't have that line and I'm pretty sure I did not insert it manually, but my head is spinning with all the changes.           Smiley

Is this stuff normal? It seems odd to me.

Edit: Details - current version v1.1.5.5-g71-prod, obtained from the msi, installed less than an hour ago, running on Win7 64.

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 01:31:13 AM

I have been running all my stuff in Win7 and so far no problems. I have never used win8 so no idea what the situation is there.

sorry for confusion. meant xp as in experience. that's the gamer in me.  i am running win 8.1 64 bit. i have not tried going back to win 7.

I can tell at least in my xp, i have run at 13 i and 8192 tc and still have the issue.  both gpu hang around mid 70c

8GB

Pages: « 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: