Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:20:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597300 times)
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:28:40 AM

If you are running ~1mhash on GPU mining @ the current difficulty it will take a while to solve a block. Remember this is not like regular mining where you submit shares, here you have to solve the whole block!

Did you specify the boinc install folder and data folder in gridcoin.conf ?

boincappfolder=C:\Program Files\Boinc\
boincdatafolder=C:\ProgramData\Boinc\

GPU mining secures the block chain as you are familiar with on other coins.  The twist is that the block rewards are variable depending on how much BOINC utilization you have.  It will take a while (week or so?) to build up to 100% utilization in the GRC wallet because you need to accumulate BOINC credits, but if you are running BOINC on your CPU you should see some utilization right away.
CPU mining as I understand it isn't actually involved in securing the block chain...it is just a compensation given out corresponding to how much BOINC processing you are doing.  Yes, you do need some GRC in your wallet for CPU mining to work because part of the process involves your wallet sending out beacons.
So to answer your questions, you would want to do both CPU mining and GPU mining because you get the steady compensation for running BOINC on your CPU and additional rewards for every block that you solve with your GPU.

Thank you, I'm beginning to understand now haha. Sorry folks. I have had BOINC cpu mining for maybe 2 hours now, if I go to my account page for malariacontrol I see that I now have a total credit count being credited now. Only concern is you said I should see some utilization right away, but it still shows zero utilization, 0 processing power, 0 thread count, 0 avg daily credits, 0 KH/ps etc.

also, is there any pro/con to running multiple projects at a time rather than 1 single project?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SeriousCoins14

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Coinoholic

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:34:44 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2014, 03:05:38 AM by SeriousCoins14

If you are running ~1mhash on GPU mining @ the current difficulty it will take a while to solve a block. Remember this is not like regular mining where you submit shares, here you have to solve the whole block!

Did you specify the boinc install folder and data folder in gridcoin.conf ?

boincappfolder=C:\Program Files\Boinc\
boincdatafolder=C:\ProgramData\Boinc\

I haven't done that, I let Boinc install to the default. The only thing is I'm on win7 64 bit. Should I add that and change it to Program Files (x86)\Boinc\ ?

edit: nvm program data does exist. Added those lines changing to x86 for appfolder. Still no change =\

XBC BTUCL6SoNCMYmvmY7tJ33EdtdvyNL4wdhr
drehb

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:44:37 AM

is there any pro/con to running multiple projects at a time rather than 1 single project?
Yes, awhile ago one of the BOINC projects had their server die and it took them some time to get it fixed.  So that whole time there were no new work units available for that project and unable to submit completed work, which would hurt your GRC BOINC utilization.  If you regularly monitor it you'd notice and could add another project in its place, but it is a better idea to run a few projects to avoid such a situation.
SeriousCoins14

Coinoholic

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:23:36 AM

Everything seems to be working, just got a 1.5 GRC immature payout. No blocks found yet with my GPU, still showing 0 utilization though. Not sure what the deal is

BillTech

Activity: 296
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 03:33:26 AM

Just upgraded the web site to HTTPS:
https://www.gridcoin.us

Working on the issue where chrome showing a malicious download and I have found a path to resolution but its going to take a few days (at least):
* Site must be HTTPS (SSL) for the download - Done
* Sites owner's Org (gridcoin) must sign up for google webmaster tools - Done
* Site must find what virus ever existed and flagged in google database - Done (was cgminer.zip, extracted contains password cracker which as we know is really a miner)
* Site removes the malware (done... cgminer_base64 is not flagged as a virus, tested)
* Site must re-apply for evaluation from google (done)

Now we wait a couple of days to see if they clear the warning for gridcoin.msi

Best Regards,
Rob H.

cgminer_base64.zip is corrupt in my directory installed from 8.4 msi
FL123

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 08:06:10 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2014, 08:38:26 AM by FL123

Hello gridcoin community,  I just invested in gridcoin and also early adopter and investor in Vertcoin and Darkcoin.  I have noticed that this coin have been for a
Couple of months and for gridcoins potential and qualities is vastly undervalued and I think I know why.

We just need to focus on one task to make the "first scientific achievement",  with gridcoin mining network, No matter if is insignificant. I mean as stated bu other blogger before, people don't know what is bionic or how it works(neither myself).
     I googled for gridcoin in the news section and not a single exclusive article for gridcoin.
To be short and not complicate the community.  Gridcoin needs at least 10 minutes of glory in crypto to be taken seriosly by real investors,  so lets say if we can prove that gridcoin network found a "prime number" or "1 part of a protein fold", "saved carbon footprint calculation", "calculating tides for surfers"  or whatever is easier(for the moment) let's be communitive creative and honest for the "first achievement"  ,  you will be on the news and articles for free and therefore probing that you are not wasting time and money for something we might start noticing in a couple of years then the real world can start recognizing and backing up gridcoin, buying coin and increasing value, then we holders can start "real money"( i mean the 1 dollar level)'investing in gridcoin(upgrades, PR, charitable causes etc), like the vertcoin, darkcoin and doge community does, that is the little difference I see why the price of gridcoin is not at least 0.001 btc now. You are doing everything right but we need that jumpstart.

There goes my honest opinion.

Greetings!

drehb

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:25:35 PM

Hmmm, in that case Rob should edit OP to reflect the correct number of total coins because for right now it says "~168 million"

I modified it, however it might go down to somewhere between 168 million and 300 million after our pools go live, since cpuminers will have to hash using minerd (cpuminer-scrypt).

That should be a boon for our exchange value.

Grid

I noticed that on the gridcoin.us homepage it also mentions 168 million coins in a couple places
Sparood

Activity: 170

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 02:53:10 PM

When will the total amount of coins be mined. I know it's still a long way to go but I was just wondering..

andrewp

Activity: 144

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 07:32:10 PM

Hello gridcoin community,  I just invested in gridcoin and also early adopter and investor in Vertcoin and Darkcoin.  I have noticed that this coin have been for a
Couple of months and for gridcoins potential and qualities is vastly undervalued and I think I know why.

We just need to focus on one task to make the "first scientific achievement",  with gridcoin mining network, No matter if is insignificant. I mean as stated bu other blogger before, people don't know what is bionic or how it works(neither myself).
     I googled for gridcoin in the news section and not a single exclusive article for gridcoin.
To be short and not complicate the community.  Gridcoin needs at least 10 minutes of glory in crypto to be taken seriosly by real investors,  so lets say if we can prove that gridcoin network found a "prime number" or "1 part of a protein fold", "saved carbon footprint calculation", "calculating tides for surfers"  or whatever is easier(for the moment) let's be communitive creative and honest for the "first achievement"  ,  you will be on the news and articles for free and therefore probing that you are not wasting time and money for something we might start noticing in a couple of years then the real world can start recognizing and backing up gridcoin, buying coin and increasing value, then we holders can start "real money"( i mean the 1 dollar level)'investing in gridcoin(upgrades, PR, charitable causes etc), like the vertcoin, darkcoin and doge community does, that is the little difference I see why the price of gridcoin is not at least 0.001 btc now. You are doing everything right but we need that jumpstart.

There goes my honest opinion.

Greetings!

Hi,

You're right in saying that we need press coverage..it is coming, don't worry.
If you look back to last posts by Rob, you'll see that he recently gave an interview and received other interest from investors etc. A lot more will come.
If you look here, you can see that we already made it into Top 100 in the world in average credits..which is a great achievement on its own and it is definitely just a start.
http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/list/16/0/0

Also look at the price, it already is over 0.001 Wink

Andrew.

Proud Gridcoiner since 2013!
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 08:01:22 PM

Here is the article on the Gridcoin interview:  http://crypt.la/2014/02/23/exclusive-gridcoin-founder-talks-revolution-in-mining/

SeriousCoins14

Coinoholic

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 12:22:29 AM

Bought 1000 grid on c-cex to get stash started, now c-cex is down for the count. Any news about that?

deerough

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 12:51:24 AM

Bought 1000 grid on c-cex to get stash started, now c-cex is down for the count. Any news about that?

They tweeted maintenance... 12+ hours.  The site saw some spikes on Darkcoin trading and got hammered.  Don't know much more than that.
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:05:14 AM

I was on c-cex today and it was absolutely crazy on Darkcoin I think it was just simply too many people putting on trades.

They tweeted maintenance... 12+ hours.  The site saw some spikes on Darkcoin trading and got hammered.  Don't know much more than that.
SeriousCoins14

Coinoholic

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:11:02 AM

I was on c-cex today and it was absolutely crazy on Darkcoin I think it was just simply too many people putting on trades.

Ah ok, maybe the owner took it down and is hunting down server upgrades.

deerough

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 01:13:07 AM

Was there too.  There were a lot of new voices in the chat for sure.  I was at C-CEX from the very beginning.  It is a good exchange, the DEVs work hard and listened to suggestions as they built it up.  I am sure they are trying to get the site back in working order as fast as possible.
SeriousCoins14

Coinoholic

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:13:15 AM

I still have a few questions about how this all works.

I finally got the utilization fixed.. It seems I wasted 24 hours mining while the wallet was showing 0 utilization, only made 2 coins.. since it started displaying a utilized percent I'm hoping to see more..

I understand that we get paid for boinc utilization 50% being what I'm currently running and the other 50% being based off a maximum of 1000 credits per day average.

What I don't understand:
If I were to shut off my GPU miners, what would change? Thus far I've found two blocks (pool enabled) and my payouts have been 14, 75, 75, and 47 all over a 4 hour period, then absolute 0 for the past 8 hours. So I found 2 blocks and got paid 4 times then completely flatlined? If I'm running 100% utilization on Boinc but not GPU mining, what kind of payout would I get? If I turned GPU miners back on?

So far nothing makes sense, my wallet sent out one beacon at 20:50 yesterday, then 2 more at 21:19 and 21:45 today. Why does it send out beacons? And is it totally random when it does send out beacons? I have no understanding of what's going out, and no understanding of what's coming in.

I have 4 PCs running Boinc all on the same project account tied to my one wallet, and 1 pc running 1mhash gpu mining. I have no idea how to establish what my daily income will be and whether or not I'm mining at a big loss right now. I need to to understand how this works if I'm going to keep this compute power pointed at gridcoin.

I was under the impression I would get 5 base per block found up to 150 based on my boinc utilization, the problem with that is the difficulty is rising to the point where I'm only looking at 2 blocks a day. Does this mean I will only receive 2 payouts of 5 + 145/utilization % ? Nothing I've read explains this enough for me to make a remotely rough estimate of what I'm going to get

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:22:06 AM

why do you have pool enabled? just mine solo. what is your average daily credit so far?

I finally got the utilization fixed.. It seems I wasted 24 hours mining while the wallet was showing 0 utilization, only made 2 coins.. since it started displaying a utilized percent I'm hoping to see more..

I understand that we get paid for boinc utilization 50% being what I'm currently running and the other 50% being based off a maximum of 1000 credits per day average.

What I don't understand:
If I were to shut off my GPU miners, what would change? Thus far I've found two blocks (pool enabled) and my payouts have been 14, 75, 75, and 47 all over a 4 hour period, then absolute 0 for the past 8 hours. So I found 2 blocks and got paid 4 times then completely flatlined? If I'm running 100% utilization on Boinc but not GPU mining, what kind of payout would I get? If I turned GPU miners back on?

So far nothing makes sense, my wallet sent out one beacon at 20:50 yesterday, then 2 more at 21:19 and 21:45 today. Why does it send out beacons? And is it totally random when it does send out beacons? I have no understanding of what's going out, and no understanding of what's coming in.

I have 4 PCs running Boinc all on the same project account tied to my one wallet, and 1 pc running 1mhash gpu mining. I have no idea how to establish what my daily income will be and whether or not I'm mining at a big loss right now. I need to to understand how this works if I'm going to keep this compute power pointed at gridcoin.

I was under the impression I would get 5 base per block found up to 150 based on my boinc utilization, the problem with that is the difficulty is rising to the point where I'm only looking at 2 blocks a day. Does this mean I will only receive 2 payouts of 5 + 145/utilization % ? Nothing I've read explains this enough for me to make a remotely rough estimate of what I'm going to get
heretolearn

Activity: 128

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 05:59:24 AM

C-cex has been down for quite a bit now ... the bad part is we get demoted down on coincapmarket ... hope it comes up sooner.
SeriousCoins14

Coinoholic

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:08:16 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2014, 06:21:35 AM by SeriousCoins14

why do you have pool enabled? just mine solo. what is your average daily credit so far?

What I don't understand:

poolmining=true just ended up in my .conf after a lot of trial and error to get it working. I'll remove that

Not sure where I check my daily tally. I started running BOINC around 29 hours ago and have just shy of 3k credits according to the malariacontrol website, my mining module shows my daily average credits: 70. Still haven't gotten any coin in the past 11 hours. Boinc Utilization 53.

Another issue that seems to be recurring is getting stuck 1 or 2 blocks out of sync when I relaunch the wallet, have to reopen it multiple times before it syncs up. Maybe this is causing me problems showing me synced when its really not, I've reinstalled the MSI wallet and redownloaded the block chain from scratch multiple times.

addnode=98.114.181.178
addnode=76.187.184.27
addnode=66.187.94.194
addnode=76.74.177.224
addnode=84.125.196.167
addnode=71.233.139.62
addnode=72.92.48.105
addnode=72.208.65.226
addnode=77.64.220.124
addnode=50.152.78.46
addnode=207.229.136.136

Nodes I'm using,

just received a payment of 7 GRC immature.

Spendy

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 07:14:38 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2014, 12:17:15 PM by Spendy

Somebody correct me if i`m wrong but once your project id  enters the pool mining i don't know you can get out that easily.
For example i had a situation where clean windows install with new wallet new gridcoin.conf  (poolmining was not enabled)
but same projects(id) that were in poolmining before , resulted in me still been part of the pool.
So enter  listcpuminers  command in debug console,find  your address and see if it mentions pool somewhere.

Pages: « 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: