Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:13:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761527 times)
Mistafreeze

Activity: 897
Merit: 284

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:49:32 AM

Nxt Reference Client Installer Update:

Another day, another update.

The installer is still for client 0.5.10, but it now handles updates on it's own. When I release a new version of the installer, simply download it and run it. It will now uninstall the previous version of NXT if it was installed using my installer, and install the new version.

Doesn't get to much easier than that.

Download it here @ Nextcoin.org: https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,1902.0.html

Or here at NxtCrypto.org: https://forums.nxtcrypto.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=311

Enjoy! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
standards

Activity: 560
Merit: 261

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 02:54:34 AM

Nxt Reference Client Installer Update:

Another day, another update.

The installer is still for client 0.5.10, but it now handles updates on it's own. When I release a new version of the installer, simply download it and run it. It will now uninstall the previous version of NXT if it was installed using my installer, and install the new version.

Doesn't get to much easier than that.

Download it here @ Nextcoin.org: https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,1902.0.html

Or here at NxtCrypto.org: https://forums.nxtcrypto.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=311

Enjoy! Smiley

New stuff comes out here all the time. Nxt is sure in a steady way to success.
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:28:53 AM

This guy obviously isn't impressed with NXT.

In Depth Analysis of NXT  -  http://cryptolife.net/in-depth-analysis-nxt/

Regarding NXT addressing. "If you were to generate an offline address and send coins to that address, you do not have explicit ownership of that address. Someone could come along with a passphrase that has a collision with yours, announce his public key to the network, and then have explicit ownership over your coins. This means that to claim ownership over an address, you are forced to expose your public key to the network. As mentioned before, doing this decreases the overall security of that address. You just can’t win. NXT is inherently less secure that Bitcoin. It is a total step backwards in that department. Also worth mentioning is that Bitcoin addresses have a 4 byte checksum that prevents you from sending to an invalid or incorrect address. NXT addresses do not."

Does anyone have an answer for this?

He's partially right about lack of security of offline addresses. 64 bits are not enough. For example, 64 bit RC5 was broken more than 10 years ago, by bruteforce, by distributed.net. Cracking offline addresses is practically possible, although the payout from this is very unlikely to be positive, you would need a ton of special asics. It's way easier and cheaper to take control of bitcoin's network than it is to crack offline nxt address. So effectively even offline nxt addresses are more secure than bitcoins. Still, it's not cryptographically secure.
He's wrong about lack of security due to publicizing public key, it's secure, no need for paranoia there. Online addresses (with public key) are secure.
He's right about lack of checksum.  

Little has been talked about the reason why BCNext went with 64 bit. When Nxt is accidentally sent to a random account # and is unrecoverable, its referred to as darkNxt.  This darkNxt has no use to anyone, and sits in an account that is inaccessible.  BCNext wanted to make it possible for powerful computers to be able to mine darkNxt in the future, so it was not lost forever, as all regular Nxt will be protected by 256bit private key accounts.
bithic

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:36:14 AM

Regarding NXT addressing. "If you were to generate an offline address and send coins to that address, you do not have explicit ownership of that address. Someone could come along with a passphrase that has a collision with yours, announce his public key to the network, and then have explicit ownership over your coins. This means that to claim ownership over an address, you are forced to expose your public key to the network. As mentioned before, doing this decreases the overall security of that address. You just can’t win. NXT is inherently less secure that Bitcoin. It is a total step backwards in that department. Also worth mentioning is that Bitcoin addresses have a 4 byte checksum that prevents you from sending to an invalid or incorrect address. NXT addresses do not."

He's partially right about lack of security of offline addresses. 64 bits are not enough. For example, 64 bit RC5 was broken more than 10 years ago, by bruteforce, by distributed.net. Cracking offline addresses is practically possible, although the payout from this is very unlikely to be positive, you would need a ton of special asics. It's way easier and cheaper to take control of bitcoin's network than it is to crack offline nxt address. So effectively even offline nxt addresses are more secure than bitcoins. Still, it's not cryptographically secure.
He's wrong about lack of security due to publicizing public key, it's secure, no need for paranoia there. Online addresses (with public key) are secure.
He's right about lack of checksum.  

Little has been talked about the reason why BCNext went with 64 bit. When Nxt is accidentally sent to a random account # and is unrecoverable, its referred to as darkNxt.  This darkNxt has no use to anyone, and sits in an account that is inaccessible.  BCNext wanted to make it possible for powerful computers to be able to mine darkNxt in the future, so it was not lost forever, as all regular Nxt will be protected by 256bit private key accounts.

A proposal to implement a new address format that protects against sending to incorrect addresses is outlined here:
http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/New_Address_Format

iruu

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 03:59:49 AM

A horrible solution worse than a hypothetical non existing problem. Great.

The proper way would be to wait for the address to claim its first transaction, for a year or something like that...
maybe some nxt clone will fix all these little quirks

joefox

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 04:01:25 AM

My friend told me I should register and take part in Nxt community.
It shocked me when I saw this long thread (maybe the longest one?).
I guess it will take me days to see it through.
Maybe I should find some easy to follow source, advice?

PS: This community is definitely awesome. Wish it is not too late to join.

http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/!

I admin the Nxt Wiki at http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/ Please support my work by donating to Nxt account #1234567740944417915
standards

Activity: 560
Merit: 261

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:08:41 AM

My friend told me I should register and take part in Nxt community.
It shocked me when I saw this long thread (maybe the longest one?).
I guess it will take me days to see it through.
Maybe I should find some easy to follow source, advice?

PS: This community is definitely awesome. Wish it is not too late to join.

http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/!

Thanks a lot. I have been reading. Lots of readings to do this weekend Cheesy
joefox

Activity: 210

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 04:16:56 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2014, 06:47:36 PM by joefox

The short, glib answer is that it's an open problem for the community to solve, and not in any way a showstopper.

Another easy answer is the new address format initiative, being worked on by NxtChg and others.  It includes error checking, and as a side benefit it also generates very QR-code-friendly addresses.  I think a link was already posted, but see: http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/New_Address_Format

Yet another response is that a bounty has been created (100K Nxt, I believe) for the implementation of a very fast client-side Javascript library for offline signing.  Once this is finished (I believe CfB is reviewing FOUR submissions, created by the community, this weekend) you will be able to generate transactions without transmission of your keys.  At that point a client can very easily build in an automated one-time transaction, during account creation, that secures your account with a 256-bit key.

A final nail-in-the-coffin response is that BCNext has demonstrated through his actions, on countless occasions, that his "stub" idea for Nxt has many, many PURPOSEFUL "open ends" that the community is able to solve through its collective power.  Evidence of this (and only one example of many) can be seen in the genius stroke of creating bounties for injected flaws in the source code: it has driven an excellent debugging effort, has led to the creation of a team of developers who have almost completely cleaned up and refactored the source in a matter of weeks, and has created a small community of coders whose deep understanding of the source code has driven the creation of novel client applications on multiple platforms, TWO block explorers, FIVE online exchanges, and advanced applications like a Twitter-type public message system, games, faucets, decentralized torrent seed storage, and a PoW currency built on top of a PoS blockchain.  

All this in eight weeks since the genesis block.

So: any other questions?

*EDIT*  I just read the rest of that fella's post and realized I only scratched the surface of his "in-depth analysis".  I welcome the debate, because criticism is healthy, but his accusations of Nxt being vulnerable to Sybil and DDOS attacks show his knowledge is quite shallow.  Some of his accusations are fair (distribution will always be an issue, but it's a tired old argument in the face of data like this, which shows Bitcoin faces the *same* issue) but on the whole, it's just ignorant.  And I'm not using that word in a "mean" way -- he just isn't as "in-depth" as he claims.

I admin the Nxt Wiki at http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/ Please support my work by donating to Nxt account #1234567740944417915
pandaisftw

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:23:54 AM

A horrible solution worse than a hypothetical non existing problem. Great.

The proper way would be to wait for the address to claim its first transaction, for a year or something like that...
maybe some nxt clone will fix all these little quirks

The problem I see with having to confirm the first transaction is that an attacker can simply spam the network an infinite amount of times because A) These transactions are not being accepted and B) and these unconfirmed transactions will just sit in queue until they expire, which can be short as a minute. He doesn't lose any NXT if he doesn't confirm on the other end, and all the money comes back to his spam account, ready to spam again.

IMO, this is not that big of a deal people are making it out to be. Unless there is a large amount of darkNXT, people are not going to spend resources trying to crack 64bit addresses. Also, anyone with any significant amount should know to send a single transaction out to secure 256bit protection.

EDIT: And what joefox said.

NXT: 13095091276527367030
bithic

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 04:56:43 AM

...lots of awesome stuff...

Go joefox! Btw, are you going to accept Adam's invitation to go on Lets Talk Bitcoin? I hope so!
brooklynbtc

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:04:39 AM

another friday night of the nxt peers kicking ass.

good job guys.

SN
S   U   P   E   R    N   E   T
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   
Uniting cryptocurrencies, Rewarding talent, Sharing benefits..

Blockchain Technology.

Jackevin

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:24:55 AM

I was reading this Thread for a long Time now and considering it is about that time to join the conversation.

Maybe i got some News for you to have a look:

Bitcoins tries to copy NXT Features - New Features are announced for Bitcoin have a look: http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/01/24/4-new-bitcoin-features-revealed-mike-hearn/

Especially the "Attachements" aka Messages, and the "Privacy Buying" aka aliases seems so familiar let me take a guess where did i heared that before?

What you Guys think? In my Opinion THIS is just a compliment how good NXT ideas are and we are definitely going big soon, but we need to work hard all together for it! And maybe hurry up a little bit  compare to all other competition scam coins Wink

I already posted this on another Forum, What you guys think? Is this good or bad news?
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:08:18 AM

I was reading this Thread for a long Time now and considering it is about that time to join the conversation.

Maybe i got some News for you to have a look:

Bitcoins tries to copy NXT Features - New Features are announced for Bitcoin have a look: http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/01/24/4-new-bitcoin-features-revealed-mike-hearn/

Especially the "Attachements" aka Messages, and the "Privacy Buying" aka aliases seems so familiar let me take a guess where did i heared that before?

What you Guys think? In my Opinion THIS is just a compliment how good NXT ideas are and we are definitely going big soon, but we need to work hard all together for it! And maybe hurry up a little bit  compare to all other competition scam coins Wink

I already posted this on another Forum, What you guys think? Is this good or bad news?

It's definitely good news. Anything that makes Bitcoin price higher is for good.

2Kool4Skewl (OP)

Activity: 644

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 06:08:46 AM

Is anyone actively trying to contact Mark Cuban in regards to his tweet that he is interested in investing in the "Nxt Generation of Cryptocurrencies"?

Giving him some NXT would help us inform the masses about NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
KLONE

Activity: 264

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:10:50 AM

KLONE Inductee Report

Introducing .... Klone Lite

Klone Lite is a clone of KLONE ... my very own mini me!!

[ANN]Descendant of NXT :: Klone Lite LOOK!! FREE 10NXT TO NEXT 10 INTERESTED POSTS!!!WOW
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=428410

"A fork of the Klone of Klone but faster and lighter. Its like Silver to Klone of Klone's Gold!"

We're down the rabbit hole now! Klone Lite, just feels right!

And a 10NXT giveaway! That's a first. Some of the other clones want your money, but Klone Lite just wants to spread the NXT love!

Welcome to KLONE Klone Lite! You have shown true commitment to NXT cloning!

You deserve your place in the KLONE genesis block!

The KLONE ministry continues to grow!
wakasaki808

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:11:39 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2014, 06:24:38 AM by wakasaki808

Is anyone actively trying to contact Mark Cuban in regards to his tweet that he is interested in investing in the "Nxt Generation of Cryptocurrencies"?

Giving him some NXT would help us inform the masses about NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin.

yeah. It would do wonders for NXT if we got Cuban interested and backing it. The guy definitely seems to be coming around to the idea of crypto-currency.

for those that didn't see someone posted earlier...

One from TODAY
https://twitter.com/mcuban/statuses/426084456202387456
"On the Matter of Why Bitcoin Matters" by @GlennF https://medium.com/the-magazine/23e551c67a6

and one from last November 22nd.
https://twitter.com/mcuban/statuses/403916745900978176

"I don't want to invest in bitcoin.  If virtual currency becomes acceptable I want to invest in the soon to be invented competitors"

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:12:14 AM

ill do it if no one else wants to

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

Activity: 644

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2014, 06:20:18 AM

I'll help you come up with what to say.  If we could collect 100,000 NXT to give him that would be great.

What do you think would be the best way to contact him?

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
loopgate88

Activity: 140

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:20:30 AM

DO IT NOW!
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 06:22:13 AM

please do, you proved to be good in talking to main guys

Pages: « 1 ... 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: