Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:21:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 [2061] 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761521 times)
l8orre
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:47:56 PM

Well, you can do everything whilst it's downloading the blockchain, of course you'll only get your balance once it reaches the correct block.
It opens NRS in the background, yes, locally.

Does it shut down NRS when you close it?

Yes.

Cool. You should add some kind of random password generator for creating new accounts, and then it should be distributed with all new NRS releases as a default client

Not sure if there is a good and secure javascript.random available - However if you open the app and choose register new account, (new users will probably do this although they could just login), then it requires special characters, minimum length, etc.

very good service for creating passwords, select the appropriate option http://www.newpasswordgenerator.com/
in the future, of course you want a built-in password generator

_______________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________
Next Coin Lite - Fair Distribution

oh, please:

import numpy as np

import sys
import string

def main():
    selChars = string.ascii_letters+ string.digits
    print( selChars)
    numPws=50
    pwLen=80

for pwNum in range(numPws):
        pwDigs=np.random.randint(0,62,pwLen)
        pw=''
        for dig in pwDigs:
            pw += selChars[dig]
        print(pw)

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:49:30 PM

oh, please:

import numpy as np

import sys
import string

def main():
    selChars = string.ascii_letters+ string.digits
    print( selChars)
    numPws=50
    pwLen=80

for pwNum in range(numPws):
        pwDigs=np.random.randint(0,62,pwLen)
        pw=''
        for dig in pwDigs:
            pw += selChars[dig]
        print(pw)

if __name__=='__main__':
    main()

xD  this is amazing !
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 02:52:28 PM

Anyone likes my idea a Electrum-like passphrase generator to be included in Nxt clients? Today there are two new stories of newbies who had their Nxt stolen because they used a weak password

https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,4316.0.html

I think we are waiting for full client-side javascript signing where the passphrase is completely abstracted from any server.  When this is completed we could easily accomplish what you are suggesting on every nxt site out there:  nxtcrypto, mynext, etc etc and the user can then use APIs embedded into the javascript to view balances and perform transactions ,etc
opticalcarrier

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:03:27 PM

This is weird. One one hand people complain about "fees" being too high, on the other hand they want to make money by "forging" These are contradictory statements.

Well, I guess the point is that there is actually no incentive to secure the network as one is not suitably rewarded by forging. This is a critical issue.

IMO you are absolutely right.  Us stakeholders who got in at the beginning will forge, and surely quite a few others will, but Im not sure if we will ever see a truly large network of forgers in the near future.  Maybe when NXT as a base structure protocol takes off, then the services that operate on top of NXT will  also pitch in, but as it sits now, forging really isnt all that profitable at all.  Add to that we are planning on reducing the fee by 1/10 and possibly even more in the future...

I think we do need to rethink things - yes, the forging NXT vs mining BTC argument of no equipment depreciation vs NXT appreciation is valid, but still, there really is no profit to be made in forging.

Lets consider BTC in 2140, where there are only fees, or even earlier than that, when block reward is well under the current 25 BTC (I think 25) per block.  What are fees going to look like then?  Can we then expect the mining network to be MUCH smaller than it is now, since we believe the return wont be nearly as high?

We have to consider these things.  Im not sure where to go, I think people smarter than me should weigh in for strategy.  But I think we do need to adopt a different strategy/position than our current position's forging NXT vs mining BTC argument of no equipment depreciation vs NXT appreciation.
ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:06:36 PM

Imagine that, now that we know who Satoshi is, they find that he is also BCNext....NXT to da mooonnnn!!!!  Grin
Uniqueorn

Activity: 182

NXT.org

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:10:09 PM

This is weird. One one hand people complain about "fees" being too high, on the other hand they want to make money by "forging" These are contradictory statements.

Well, I guess the point is that there is actually no incentive to secure the network as one is not suitably rewarded by forging. This is a critical issue.

IMO you are absolutely right.  Us stakeholders who got in at the beginning will forge, and surely quite a few others will, but Im not sure if we will ever see a truly large network of forgers in the near future.  Maybe when NXT as a base structure protocol takes off, then the services that operate on top of NXT will  also pitch in, but as it sits now, forging really isnt all that profitable at all.  Add to that we are planning on reducing the fee by 1/10 and possibly even more in the future...

I think we do need to rethink things - yes, the forging NXT vs mining BTC argument of no equipment depreciation vs NXT appreciation is valid, but still, there really is no profit to be made in forging.

Lets consider BTC in 2140, where there are only fees, or even earlier than that, when block reward is well under the current 25 BTC (I think 25) per block.  What are fees going to look like then?  Can we then expect the mining network to be MUCH smaller than it is now, since we believe the return wont be nearly as high?

We have to consider these things.  Im not sure where to go, I think people smarter than me should weigh in for strategy.  But I think we do need to adopt a different strategy/position than our current position's forging NXT vs mining BTC argument of no equipment depreciation vs NXT appreciation.

To be fair: in 2140, if  Bitcoin is still around, hell if even the concept of ownership of money as we know it today is still around 130 years from now then we have failed as a species ;P
Uniqueorn

NXT.org

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:11:09 PM

Imagine that, now that we know who Satoshi is, they find that he is also BCNext....NXT to da mooonnnn!!!!  Grin

No this is bad. The journalist should be beaten with a stick.
Going out of your way to find this person when he has made every effort to stay anonymous and when he has rejected you over and over, is disgraceful and unethical as hell. I hope this journalist gets fired. Even posted a fucking image of his house...
gs02xzz

Activity: 221

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:12:37 PM

If you´ve read my PM, I am trying to help you build a core dev team...
In addition to Java developers, and in fact much more urgently, we need a good cryptographer. This person doesn't even need to be that fluent in Java, the language background wouldn't matter (well, he should at least be able to read and understand the Java code). But I don't have much cryptography background myself, so this is an area where we currently lack skills, especially after the departure of BCNext.

Doctorevil seems pretty good and he mentioned before that he could help as a consultant. https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,3884.msg36769.html#msg36769

Ricot and Broodyrookie seem pretty good too.
opticalcarrier

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:12:56 PM

whatever ! I rest my case with this. I was testing constantly!

james, I will not COMPLAIN ANYMORE.

wish you all the best and hope you finally produce something out of your pages of ideas and dreams.

Im going to call you out on this.  that was rude and uncalled for.  
Uniqueorn

NXT.org

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:15:20 PM

In addition to Java developers, and in fact much more urgently, we need a good cryptographer. This person doesn't even need to be that fluent in Java, the language background wouldn't matter (well, he should at least be able to read and understand the Java code). But I don't have much cryptography background myself, so this is an area where we currently lack skills, especially after the departure of BCNext.

Doctorevil seems pretty good and he mentioned before that he could help as a consultant. https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,3884.msg36769.html#msg36769

I am waiting to hear back from a couple of guys that I have contacted who are hghly regarded in the Bitcoin world as cryptographers
opticalcarrier

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:27:08 PM

Someone else suggested the leased forging power to be restricted according to the balance of the forging account and I think that it could also be a reasonable way to do it.

what do you think about limiting effectiveBalance for an account or total effectiveBalance for a leased pool where max allowed forging power is based on the latest target?  Would this be a way to limit where 1 entity could not run away with the chain?
mcjavar

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:31:27 PM

I will approach them.
ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:32:23 PM

No this is bad. The journalist should be beaten with a stick.
Going out of your way to find this person when he has made every effort to stay anonymous and when he has rejected you over and over, is disgraceful and unethical as hell. I hope this journalist gets fired. Even posted a fucking image of his house...

you mean HER house, don't you?  Cheesy

Check her:

https://twitter.com/truth_eater
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 03:35:53 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2014, 03:53:33 PM by CIYAM Open

what do you think about limiting effectiveBalance for an account or total effectiveBalance for a leased pool where max allowed forging power is based on the latest target?  Would this be a way to limit where 1 entity could not run away with the chain?

Hmm... I am not quite clear on what you are referring to as being the "latest target" - if this is something to do with "difficulty" then my understanding from discussions with CfB about TF is that it won't even be necessary to have that (I am not even quite sure why "difficulty" was even used at all - perhaps someone would care to enlighten me?).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
igmaca

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:50:09 PM
Last edit: March 06, 2014, 04:06:39 PM by igmaca

Anyone likes my idea a Electrum-like passphrase generator to be included in Nxt clients? Today there are two new stories of newbies who had their Nxt stolen because they used a weak password

https://nextcoin.org/index.php/topic,4316.0.html

I think we are waiting for full client-side javascript signing where the passphrase is completely abstracted from any server.  When this is completed we could easily accomplish what you are suggesting on every nxt site out there:  nxtcrypto, mynext, etc etc and the user can then use APIs embedded into the javascript to view balances and perform transactions ,etc

Here some open source plug in . Maybe someone can contact the developers of this plug in to adapt them to Nxt if required

Pronounceable Password Generator
Extension Author: Jan Benjamin Engracia, Extension Language: English

This plugin adds a custom password generation algorithm, which generates pronounceable passwords.

The plugin is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pronouncepwgen/ [Downloads]

Readable Passphrase Generator
Extension Author: Murray Grant, Extension Language: English

The Readable Passphrase Generator plugin generates passphrases, which are (mostly) grammatically correct, but nonsensical. These are easy to remember (for humans), but difficult to guess (for humans and computers).

The plugin is available here: http://readablepassphrase.codeplex.com/

WordSequence Generator
Extension Author: fireOut, Extension Language: English

The WordSequence plugin generates passphases consisting of words.

The plugin is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kpwordsequence/

Here another one TFA. Maybe someone can contact the developers of this plug in to adapt them to Nxt if required

http://keepass.info/plugins.html#keeotp

OtpKeyProv
Plugin Author: Dominik Reichl, Plugin Language: English

OtpKeyProv is a key provider based on one-time passwords. After protecting your database using this plugin, you need to generate and enter one-time passwords in order to open your database.

All generator tokens that follow the OATH HOTP standard (RFC 4226) are supported.

Download plugin: [v2.2 for KeePass 2.20 and higher]
Download source code: [v2.2 for KeePass 2.20 and higher]

If you instead want KeePass to generate one-time passwords, see the {HMACOTP} placeholder. For generating time-based OTPs, see the KeeOtp and Tray TOTP plugins.

KeeChallenge
Plugin Author: Ben Rush, Plugin Language: English

Allows to protect KeePass databases using challenge-response authentication.

The plugin is available here: [KeeChallenge Plugin Website].

KeeOtp
Plugin Author: Devin Martin, Plugin Language: English

This is a KeePass plugin that adds support for two factor authentication into other systems using TOTP (Timed One Time Passwords). It stores TOTP secret keys in the KeePass database and generates TOTP codes from the key within KeePass.

KeeOtp is compatible with Google's 2-Step Verification and Amazon AWS MFA. It will work with most other RFC 6238 compliant TOTP implementations as well.

Website: [https://bitbucket.org/devinmartin/keeotp/wiki/Home]
Downloads: [https://bitbucket.org/devinmartin/keeotp/downloads]

KeePass has a built-in placeholder to generate HOTPs (but not TOTPs), see {HMACOTP}.

If you instead want to protect your KeePass database using one-time passwords (i.e. one-time passwords need to be generated and entered in order to open your database), see the OtpKeyProv plugin.

Tray TOTP
Plugin Author: Alexandre Gravel, Plugin Language: English

Time-based One-Time Password plugin to enable 2-step authentification (supports Google and Dropbox) by generating TOTPs from the KeePass tray icon. This plugin also provides a custom column to display and/or generate TOTPs. Auto-Type is also supported when the specified custom field is used in a keystroke sequence.

Downloads: [https://sourceforge.net/projects/traytotp-kp2/files/]

KeePass has a built-in placeholder to generate HOTPs (but not TOTPs), see {HMACOTP}.

If you instead want to protect your KeePass database using one-time passwords (i.e. one-time passwords need to be generated and entered in order to open your database), see the OtpKeyProv plugin.
ChuckOne

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 03:58:26 PM

what do you think about limiting effectiveBalance for an account or total effectiveBalance for a leased pool where max allowed forging power is based on the latest target?  Would this be a way to limit where 1 entity could not run away with the chain?

Hmm... I am not quite clear on what you are referring to as being the "latest target" - if this is something to do with "difficulty" then my understanding from discussions with CfB about TF is that it won't even be necessary to have that (I am not even quite sure why "difficulty" was even used at all - perhaps someone would care to enlighten me?).

That is true. The 'target' notion can be removed from NXT as it is clear from the very beginning of a new block which account it the next forger: better in which order the accounts are going to forge.

Btw. Why should limiting the effectiveBalance prevent 'running away with the chain'? If you split your balance up, then simply these accounts will act as one.
mcjavar

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:04:02 PM

Posted from asd, ref#q9u7tMvp5zRL7JYY

Anything else to add except the "Posted from asd, ref#q9u7tMvp5zRL7JYY"?
rdanneskjoldr

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:06:58 PM

So BCnext left NXT project just when Satoshi Nakamoto identity was discovered (but not yet published).....
 Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

CFB, are you the only one communicating with BCNext? Who will be in touch with him when you depart in 3 1/2 weeks?

He had left the day before Nxt source code became public. Went for good to work on other things. I'll get 3rd part of the plan in April but I can't contact him anymore.

I still dont believe he is the real Satoshi,but if he was,it would be really suspicious BTCNext suddenly dissappeared the week before(seeing this coming)
mcjavar

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:08:10 PM

Anything else to add except the "Posted from asd, ref#q9u7tMvp5zRL7JYY"?
Sorry, testing something i will release in a week or so.

Is it related to Nxt?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 04:15:41 PM

Btw. Why should limiting the effectiveBalance prevent 'running away with the chain'? If you split your balance up, that simply these accounts will act as one.

"Running away with the chain" is simply going to come down to "how many blocks in a row" can a combined or individual forging entity obtain (the more then the more likelihood of an issue) and whether "by skipping their turn" a forger can improve their odds of causing trouble (where trouble means that 10 confirmations is no longer safe).

I guess the problem with TF is that we still don't know exactly what was intended and with "leasing your forging power" and the "penalty" idea it is actually even less clear (at least to me).

For example - if the "penalty" means that your client effectively "ignores the pool" then one can see that having a huge amount of "leased forging power" tied to one account is actually not so useful (as that power might be unable to be wielded for maybe a significant % of the time).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: « 1 ... 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2034 2035 2036 2037 2038 2039 2040 2041 2042 2043 2044 2045 2046 2047 2048 2049 2050 2051 2052 2053 2054 2055 2056 2057 2058 2059 2060 [2061] 2062 2063 2064 2065 2066 2067 2068 2069 2070 2071 2072 2073 2074 2075 2076 2077 2078 2079 2080 2081 2082 2083 2084 2085 2086 2087 2088 2089 2090 2091 2092 2093 2094 2095 2096 2097 2098 2099 2100 2101 2102 2103 2104 2105 2106 2107 2108 2109 2110 2111 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: