Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:02:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 362 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;)  (Read 907160 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 02:40:21 PM

Argentina is near the tipping point: http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/25/investing/argentina-default/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

We need some actions in bitcoin land! Is there any chart that can be overlay on the bitcoin chart correlate to the world financial crisis?

Good question....

Draper (winner of the Silk Road auction) said he was going to bring BTC liquidity to Countries like Argentina (and he might have mentioned them by name) in the form of exchanges I believe. Get a mivin Mr. Draper...
Glad to see BTC adoption starting to really move, but we have to get it where it is really needed.

wouldn't argentina be vehemently against this? wouldn't they want to force people to hold on to paper notes? draper would need cooperation with the argentine government.

Yes, but I think it depends how bad things get and look.
If leaders are in danger of a popular revolt and being hung,(and don't think that can't happen), then they might bend. They might even be sold on it in other ways (use your imagination).

In another way leaders may not realize what the cryptos can do, and let them go by the wayside, so to speak. The quick move from their money into BTC might catch them off guard and be too late to stop. We can hope anyway.

The way Draper sounded is that this is being worked on. And, you don't just buy 30,000 BTC without doing lots of homework.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 02:47:21 PM

Argentina is near the tipping point: http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/25/investing/argentina-default/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

We need some actions in bitcoin land! Is there any chart that can be overlay on the bitcoin chart correlate to the world financial crisis?

Good question....

Draper (winner of the Silk Road auction) said he was going to bring BTC liquidity to Countries like Argentina (and he might have mentioned them by name) in the form of exchanges I believe. Get a mivin Mr. Draper...
Glad to see BTC adoption starting to really move, but we have to get it where it is really needed.

wouldn't argentina be vehemently against this? wouldn't they want to force people to hold on to paper notes? draper would need cooperation with the argentine government.

If leaders are in danger of a popular revolt and being hung,(and don't think that can't happen), then they might bend. They might even be sold on it in other ways (use your imagination).

In another way leaders may not realize what the cryptos can do, and let them go by the wayside, so to speak. The quick move from their money into BTC might catch them off guard and be too late to stop. We can hope anyway.

The way Draper sounded is that this is being worked on. And, you don't just buy 30,000 BTC without doing lots of homework.

i really wouldn't worry about the near term price action other then as potential buying opportunity. With guys like Draper holding 30k, we can be sure every other filthy rich person is asking himself and his buddies while at summer parties in the Hamptions and other places, whether he should also dump 100k into Bitcoin just in case... and i guarantee you that we will see deals sealed over Labor day weekend in the USA and news coming out following that.

Well either that or I am totally off base, but you know business is not rocket science...
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 02:52:59 PM

mmitech (as well as windjc) are banned from this thread, and the castle, for their stubborn unrespectful attitude.

Sorry, but that enlarged section of your post just made me LOL.

Regarding BTC and price, even though down, looks like we are hitting oversold territory on the daily.

Well he has so get his priorities straight. Would you want perma-bears running around your 12 bathrooms complaining all the time? Cheesy

I dont understand WHY should one want to visit his castle? 200eur for a room and what are the advantages? I could find tons of better places in estonia/finland for that money, is there anything special about this place except meeting Risto? Drugs for free? Bitcoin supernode course? the king is naked?!

I guess it suffices just being a rather eccentric figure. I believe many people investing in Bitcoin would like to have his success. The castle is a symbol for that.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 02:54:58 PM

Good question....

i really wouldn't worry about the near term price action other then as potential buying opportunity. With guys like Draper holding 30k, we can be sure every other filthy rich person is asking himself and his buddies while at summer parties in the Hamptions and other places, whether he should also dump 100k into Bitcoin just in case... and i guarantee you that we will see deals sealed over Labor day weekend in the USA and news coming out following that.

Well either that or I am totally off base, but you know business is not rocket science...

Or they will all just assume it's another harebrained scheme from the guy who wants to split CA into six states. (Not what I think of course)
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:03:22 PM

Good question....

Great point, the Draper purchase was essentially an advertisement on where to put some of your wealth and to the wealthy.

Some further FUEL:
1- VC money now going into BTC relative to early internet. I realize a few years have passes, but if you didn't know, we are blowing those early internet numbers away. (Sorry, don't have them off the top of my head, but there was an article a few weeks ago on it.)
2- More and more, and larger and larger, retailers accepting BTC
3- as #2, but with people hearing of BTC
4- BTC is entering popular culture, guess this is a combo of the prior, but the meme is here.
5- More and more people are questioning what money is. BTC has essentially lifted the veil off the FED. Uh oh
And on and on...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
upupup

Activity: 165
Merit: 106

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 03:07:26 PM

mmitech (as well as windjc) are banned from this thread, and the castle, for their stubborn unrespectful attitude.

Regarding BTC and price, even though down, looks like we are hitting oversold territory on the daily.

Well he has so get his priorities straight. Would you want perma-bears running around your 12 bathrooms complaining all the time? Cheesy

I dont understand WHY should one want to visit his castle? 200eur for a room and what are the advantages? I could find tons of better places in estonia/finland for that money, is there anything special about this place except meeting Risto? Drugs for free? Bitcoin supernode course? the king is naked?!

I guess it suffices just being a rather eccentric figure. I believe many people investing in Bitcoin would like to have his success. The castle is a symbol for that.

But why should one go there, pay 200eur//nigh and feel grateful?
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2014, 03:17:01 PM

But why should one go there, pay 200eur//nigh and feel grateful?

If that is too much for you, you can come visit me at my Ibiza Playa de'n Bitcoin condo I only charge 90 euros a night - I offer  free wifi and a view of a pool with topless girls.

There was a real stunner there today.  British girl with a fresh boob job!
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 04:13:40 PM

I'm bullish and patient for both BTC and XMR. The only reason is I couldn't fill up my stash yet.
I don't complain if we hang around 3-digits until the end of this year.

Would you rather fall back into the 2-digits? Wink

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 04:26:19 PM
Last edit: July 26, 2014, 05:01:07 PM by rpietila

Good questions, which show that they arise from a different worldview/mission than what the castle is for. Let me try to explain:

- When I bought the castle, I was financially in a position that I could have done anything I wanted. (If it was really expensive, I would need to wait for BTC to go up a little more of course.) I had already quit working for money some months before I bought it.

- I did not buy the castle to be a business, because A) I already quit business B) castle is a lousy business.

- I did buy it to be a meeting point for the world's crypto-enthusiasts (and later on when more such places spring up, the meeting point for the local area).

- Offering hospitality for people costs money. It is quite a no-brainer to charge for it.

- How much to charge? Currently the place is in such a condition that arranging any kind of living conditions is likely to not be financially profitable, even if we consider only the variable costs. In the other words, I lose money no matter what I offer, and also when I don't offer anything (fixed costs are running high).

- Why is that? Mainly because it is so early, the organization is not yet there, procedures are lacking, marketing is insufficient, and especially we have too few rooms. We could maintain 30 rooms for about the same effort as we now do 11. But the income would be 3 times higher, given full occupancy. But the full occupancy is not a given, and therefore it's not yet the time to build more rooms, since building rooms is also expensive, and bitcoin is in a relative bottom.

- We already did build 4 hotel rooms, which are in "premium" category. These are selling for 150-350 euros depending on the date. When thinking about the hotel room alone, even this is a steep price, and probably not value for money.

- But I think it from the mission's point of view: I want the place to produce maximum value for the whole community. This is the focus. The matter of cost to the individual members is a side-consideration. For many guests, the value received from a visit here is order(s) of magnitude higher than the cost. It is therefore irrelevant whether a room costs a hundred more.

- The main target group is people who have already become free financially because of crypto. In bitcoin terms, BTC1,000-BTC10,000 is needed. The secondary group (albeit 10 times larger in # of people) has BTC100 or more.

- Since I only have the 4 premium rooms, they are very scarce, and I want to keep at least one of them vacant at all times. Price is the way to allocate the scarce resources to the most valuable uses. Since my focus is on value, I feel no problem whatsoever to sell the rooms at very high prices if the situation so demands, in order for the right people to come together to maximize the value.

- In the future, when bitcoin price goes up, it is likely that the fiat price of rooms here continues to go up, because every 10-folding increases the target group 10-fold, but Malla cannot scale up accordingly. So the price will be used to allocate the occupancy.

- Currently complaining about mandatory high room prices is very far from truthful. A typical conference anywhere else would cost you 300 EUR for 2 nights + (300 EUR / 2) for a room for 2 for 2 nights, with a total of 450 EUR/person. In Malla, you can book a large 4 people room for 88 EUR per night (BTC0.2). For 2 nights it is 44-88 EUR/person, depending if you have it full or only as a twin.

TL;DR: Staying in Malla is already up to 80-90% cheaper than in other conferences, and if you don't comprehend it, you are probably not in our focus anyway. On the other hand, we aim to make the VIP guests' stay as valuable as possible, and intend to charge the market price for it.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 10:18:06 PM

O my god, im starting to think Etherum is a guaranteed big ass IPOfloop. I like Vitalik and what he has done thus far but I always had this feeling about Ethereum being something too big for its own that will end up in nothing. God bless the IPO invester's souls.

People can only invest in vapour ware so many times before they realise, in the crypto world people have had plenty of chances to see the test carried out by alts in regards to IPO's. Seems people still need to learn their lesson.

No max supply = no investment from me.

Most people is constantly chasing the Bitcoin dream and hoping every crypto-investment they do experiences a similar black swarn type of price explosions as seen on BTC price evolution. Bad news are: This is not going to happen again. I don't see Ethereum becoming "something".

giveBTCpls

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 10:23:52 PM

So rpietila is starting a Bitcoin illuminati Rothchild Bildercoin group from hell. Meanwhile im unemployed and still don't have an entire BTC.  Financial freedoom Roll Eyes

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10188

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 10:53:23 PM

So rpietila is starting a Bitcoin illuminati Rothchild Bildercoin group from hell. Meanwhile im unemployed and still don't have an entire BTC.  Financial freedoom Roll Eyes

What's your age range and your skills?  Rpietilla is in his late 30s I think (even though some of his pictures look older.. he he he), so he has had some opportunities (and most likely should admit luck) to have achieved a form of financial freedom - nonetheless, NO one's financial freedom is completely ensured unless they are sure that their assets are sufficiently diversified and hedged.  Also, the person must be able to live within the means of the passive income from the assets.  Accordingly, there may be a need to continuously monitor the status of such "financial freedom" - unless the wealth buffer remains sufficiently great in order to make any threat to "FF" a non-issue.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
July 26, 2014, 10:57:07 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2014, 02:35:44 AM by ArticMine

TL;DR: Staying in Malla is already up to 80-90% cheaper than in other conferences, and if you don't comprehend it, you are probably not in our focus anyway. On the other hand, we aim to make the VIP guests' stay as valuable as possible, and intend to charge the market price for it.

In other words it is all about the networking and given the target group and room price it highly likely that those who go there will get way more value out of their experience than their cost. I live quite far away in western Canada, (10 time zones away to be exact), nevertheless the next time I am in Europe it is a destination well worth my time to visit.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
giveBTCpls

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:46:39 AM

What's your age range and your skills?  Rpietilla is in his late 30s I think (even though some of his pictures look older.. he he he), so he has had some opportunities (and most likely should admit luck) to have achieved a form of financial freedom - nonetheless, NO one's financial freedom is completely ensured unless they are sure that their assets are sufficiently diversified and hedged.  Also, the person must be able to live within the means of the passive income from the assets.  Accordingly, there may be a need to continuously monitor the status of such "financial freedom" - unless the wealth buffer remains sufficiently great in order to make any threat to "FF" a non-issue.

Im in my mid 20's and my skills aren't anything that can be moniterised, or that can give you more than peanuts, I like music and as you can see I can type in english but I cant teach it because my acccent is shit as I dont have any english friends. My country has the most unemployment in europe. Even if I had skills I would be fucked anyway. Bitcoin doesnt solve this.
Also, freewill is an ilusion, this is why is absurd to think people have done anything for themselves, is just a chain of events, no one is responsible of their situation, im not responsible of my situation and rich people aren't responsible of their situation. Freewill, freemarket, all an ilusion.

AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 11:56:19 AM

What's your age range and your skills?  Rpietilla is in his late 30s I think (even though some of his pictures look older.. he he he), so he has had some opportunities (and most likely should admit luck) to have achieved a form of financial freedom - nonetheless, NO one's financial freedom is completely ensured unless they are sure that their assets are sufficiently diversified and hedged.  Also, the person must be able to live within the means of the passive income from the assets.  Accordingly, there may be a need to continuously monitor the status of such "financial freedom" - unless the wealth buffer remains sufficiently great in order to make any threat to "FF" a non-issue.

Im in my mid 20's and my skills aren't anything that can be moniterised, or that can give you more than peanuts, I like music and as you can see I can type in english but I cant teach it because my acccent is shit as I dont have any english friends. My country has the most unemployment in europe. Even if I had skills I would be fucked anyway. Bitcoin doesnt solve this.

Bitcoin isn't a cure-all. It can solve some issues regarding economy and politics, but it won't solve unemployment. You can however use trading to make money - even if you start small. And I do live in Greece btw where unemployment is like 30% / young unemployment is over 60%.

The primary problem is not Bitcoin, the socioeconomic environment etc etc. These are excuses. 99% of the people don't have a vision of what they want to achieve. They live life as life comes to them instead of planning it. Once you have a proper vision, and reinforce it through your subconscious (subconscious programming, visualization etc), stuff will start falling into place. With no vision/purpose, you can't do much. Your body and mind are like a car that goes circles - with no destination.
giveBTCpls

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:01:25 PM

What's your age range and your skills?  Rpietilla is in his late 30s I think (even though some of his pictures look older.. he he he), so he has had some opportunities (and most likely should admit luck) to have achieved a form of financial freedom - nonetheless, NO one's financial freedom is completely ensured unless they are sure that their assets are sufficiently diversified and hedged.  Also, the person must be able to live within the means of the passive income from the assets.  Accordingly, there may be a need to continuously monitor the status of such "financial freedom" - unless the wealth buffer remains sufficiently great in order to make any threat to "FF" a non-issue.

Bitcoin isn't a cure-all. It can solve some issues regarding economy and politics, but it won't solve unemployment. You can however use trading to make money - even if you start small. And I do live in Greece btw where unemployment is like 30% / young unemployment is over 60%.

The primary problem is not Bitcoin, the socioeconomic environment etc etc. These are excuses. 99% of the people don't have a vision of what they want to achieve. They live life as life comes to them instead of planning it. Once you have a proper vision, and reinforce it through your subconscious (subconscious programming, visualization etc), stuff will start falling into place. With no vision/purpose, you can't do much. Your body and mind are like a car that goes circles - with no destination.

Trading is too risky and not worth if you are playing with peanuts, whenever i've tried trading I fuck half it up of the times. Whatever happens happen, im not responsible for it and no one is. In a way we are just discovering our lifes which are already determined, this is a hard thing to grasp. This is also why objectively no one deserves to be poor or rich, or be be punished because they killed someone or what not. I mean of course we need to lock "the bad guys" for our own safety, but it's not their fault. Like a I said, it's a hard thing to grasp.

frienemy

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

I was promised da moon

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:10:30 PM

Also, freewill is an ilusion, this is why is absurd to think people have done anything for themselves, is just a chain of events, no one is responsible of their situation, im not responsible of my situation and rich people aren't responsible of their situation. Freewill, freemarket, all an ilusion.

So you're either Spanish or Greek. I once worked in an foreign language school in Tarifa, Spain. The main teacher there could not pronounce one single English word a hundred percent correctly, still he was teacher. Even here in Germany, I had English teachers with very strong accent. So never mind, your English skills seem to be good enough for teaching. Furthermore, I myself do not speak to English speakers frequently, but I managed to strip off most of my accent myself. You can learn that, too.

Or if you like music, try to make something out of it. I learned to play the guitar when I was 13, all by myself, until now I haven't learned to play by musical score, but I nevertheless I give guitar lessons to beginners once in a while.

I agree that it's not always free will that leads to success or failure. Often the successful are predetermined to be successful because they have the predetermined personality to achieve (which is both a positive and a negative characteristic). I'm not a big "achiever", but I don't want to be one either, I'm content with keeping life simple. I don't need much money. Just try some things according to your abilities and in the end you will still live. If you are able to save a Euro or two and put it into bitcoin, in the end you might still achieve financial freedom. Even if you can't work against - as you might see them - big forces, which keep the successful on top and keep your spirit down, you can try to use the small forces in yourself to make the best out of it. The best for one might not always be perfect, but it's still better than a lifelong depression.

MCTRL_751 >   END OF LINE
threecats

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:12:06 PM

"Whatever happens happen, im not responsible for it and no one is."

As long as you believe this, you will continue to be a victim.
giveBTCpls

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:39:35 PM

So you're either Spanish or Greek. I once worked in an foreign language school in Tarifa, Spain. The main teacher there could not pronounce one single English word a hundred percent correctly, still he was teacher. Even here in Germany, I had English teachers with very strong accent. So never mind, your English skills seem to be good enough for teaching. Furthermore, I myself do not speak to English speakers frequently, but I managed to strip off most of my accent myself. You can learn that, too.

Or if you like music, try to make something out of it. I learned to play the guitar when I was 13, all by myself, until now I haven't learned to play by musical score, but I nevertheless I give guitar lessons to beginners once in a while.

I agree that it's not always free will that leads to success or failure. Often the successful are predetermined to be successful because they have the predetermined personality to achieve (which is both a positive and a negative characteristic). I'm not a big "achiever", but I don't want to be one either, I'm content with keeping life simple. I don't need much money. Just try some things according to your abilities and in the end you will still live. If you are able to save a Euro or two and put it into bitcoin, in the end you might still achieve financial freedom. Even if you can't work against - as you might see them - big forces, which keep the successful on top and keep your spirit down, you can try to use the small forces in yourself to make the best out of it. The best for one might not always be perfect, but it's still better than a lifelong depression.

Thats correct, and no I can't be a teacher or get any job at 25 without experience, they always want experience. Im considering studying something this year just to not stay at home again and hopefully meet some girls too, but fuck it, I didn't enroll so i'll have to enroll in whatever spots are left in september.

And no Bitcoin will not achieve shit for me if I don't have any spare fiat to invest on it, which I don't. Basically the little BTCs are get are thanks to Stunna which is like the only way to get Bitcoins these days, he's doing God's work. Once he stops the adv campaing then im fucked.
Bitcoin will never go high enough for me to achieve financial freedom because for that you need at least what? 100 BTC, so not gonna happen.

Being on a dead end is awesome.

giveBTCpls

View Profile
July 27, 2014, 12:40:50 PM

"Whatever happens happen, im not responsible for it and no one is."

As long as you believe this, you will continue to be a victim.

It's not belief, it's science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FanhvXO9Pk

Im not responsible of my dead end situation and rpietla is not responsible of his rich situation, so to speak.

Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 362 »
  Print  

Jump to: