Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 05:13:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 [341] 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:30:52 PM

Here is my 1st draft for the CRISP for Kids article.  I'm probably only at around 450 - 500  words, so I could use everyone's input as to what else needs to be said.  I agree with Marc on being careful that things don't get wordy.  I would rather have a short article than one with too much filler.   The title is just a thought.

I purposely left out the Rich List, because I think it is something that is exclusive to the cryptocurrency culture.  I don't feel comfortable bragging about the the rich when I would rather be helping the poor.  I think this is true of everyone at DNotes and part of what we stand for.  Let's be rich... and humble. Smiley

CRISP For Kids - The Cryptocurrency Investment Savings Plan is Born

The CRISP For Kids program began as a joint pilot project of DNotes and CryptoMoms in July 2014.  It was designed to evolve around CryptoMoms, a currency neutral site dedicated to encourage women's participation in cryptocurrency.  This design allows for the easy participation of family and friends.  http://cryptomoms.com/

CRISP for kids was created to help the world's children and grandchildren develop strong saving habits early, in order to help secure their financial future.  All CRISPs (Cryptocurrency Investment Savings Plan) are unstructured and self directed plans, using DNotes as the investment vehicle.  Re-occurring savings, in a any amount, may be added at any time.

After the launch of the CRISP, it soon became evident that the parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles from around the world are genuinely concerned about the financial well being of the children in their families.  In fact, many of the kids currently in the program were signed up by their grandparents who gave them a gift of DNotes to get them started.

Children are great candidates for a long term savings plan in digital currency.  Their long term investment horizon and the early stage of the digital currency industry allows for significant capital appreciation.

Anyone can set up or contribute to a child's CRISP, giving this program the potential to help children around the world.  A teacher could establish CRISPs for all of his or her students, and at the same time start teaching the class about digital currency.  Cryptocurrency can be a powerful lesson tool and what is new and evolving today will be the norm for them in the future.

The funds from the CRISP can be used by the child for their education, travel, their first home, as well as many other things.  By the time the children are old enough to withdraw the DNotes, they will be very grateful their parents or grandparents had the foresight to take early advantage of an investment in digital currency.

With the launch of the DNotesVault in December, 2014, you need little more than an email address to start a CRISP.  All deposits sent to any DNotesVault address are securely stored offline in DNotes cold storage vault with a 100% guarantee.  http://www.dnotesvault.com/

Everyone at CryptoMoms is very proud of the CRISP For Kids program and it is a delight reading the posts of the proud parents and grandparents as they share a little bit about each child.  Some have left messages that will outlive the writer and it is starting to have almost a time-capsule feeling.

CryptoMoms and the DNotes team are dedicated to helping anyone interested in starting a CRISP for any child.  Please visit:  http://cryptomoms.com/forum/cryptomoms-com/5/kids-with-a-cr-i-s-p/530

Looks great to me Chase! I think you've hit on the key points and benefits of the CRISP for Kids program while minimizing any fluff. The only thing I can think of is giveaways, but that probably isn't good for this type of article.

Also, do you think you can come up with an executive brief for this?

I can do that. Smiley

Perhaps everyone can comment on which of the statements in the article have the biggest impact and should be included in an executive brief.  There are a couple of sentences that will appeal to the executive as a parent or grandparent, but are probably too "frilly" for the shortened and to-the-point brief.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 06:29:29 PM

Here is my 1st draft for the CRISP for Kids article.  I'm probably only at around 450 - 500  words, so I could use everyone's input as to what else needs to be said.  I agree with Marc on being careful that things don't get wordy.  I would rather have a short article than one with too much filler.   The title is just a thought.

I purposely left out the Rich List, because I think it is something that is exclusive to the cryptocurrency culture.  I don't feel comfortable bragging about the the rich when I would rather be helping the poor.  I think this is true of everyone at DNotes and part of what we stand for.  Let's be rich... and humble. Smiley

CRISP For Kids - The Cryptocurrency Investment Savings Plan is Born

The CRISP For Kids program began as a joint pilot project of DNotes and CryptoMoms in July 2014.  It was designed to evolve around CryptoMoms, a currency neutral site dedicated to encourage women's participation in cryptocurrency.  This design allows for the easy participation of family and friends.  http://cryptomoms.com/

CRISP for kids was created to help the world's children and grandchildren develop strong saving habits early, in order to help secure their financial future.  All CRISPs (Cryptocurrency Investment Savings Plan) are unstructured and self directed plans, using DNotes as the investment vehicle.  Re-occurring savings, in a any amount, may be added at any time.

After the launch of the CRISP, it soon became evident that the parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles from around the world are genuinely concerned about the financial well being of the children in their families.  In fact, many of the kids currently in the program were signed up by their grandparents who gave them a gift of DNotes to get them started.

Children are great candidates for a long term savings plan in digital currency.  Their long term investment horizon and the early stage of the digital currency industry allows for significant capital appreciation.

Anyone can set up or contribute to a child's CRISP, giving this program the potential to help children around the world.  A teacher could establish CRISPs for all of his or her students, and at the same time start teaching the class about digital currency.  Cryptocurrency can be a powerful lesson tool and what is new and evolving today will be the norm for them in the future.

The funds from the CRISP can be used by the child for their education, travel, their first home, as well as many other things.  By the time the children are old enough to withdraw the DNotes, they will be very grateful their parents or grandparents had the foresight to take early advantage of an investment in digital currency.

With the launch of the DNotesVault in December, 2014, you need little more than an email address to start a CRISP.  All deposits sent to any DNotesVault address are securely stored offline in DNotes cold storage vault with a 100% guarantee.  http://www.dnotesvault.com/

Everyone at CryptoMoms is very proud of the CRISP For Kids program and it is a delight reading the posts of the proud parents and grandparents as they share a little bit about each child.  Some have left messages that will outlive the writer and it is starting to have almost a time-capsule feeling.

CryptoMoms and the DNotes team are dedicated to helping anyone interested in starting a CRISP for any child.  Please visit:  http://cryptomoms.com/forum/cryptomoms-com/5/kids-with-a-cr-i-s-p/530

Looks great to me Chase! I think you've hit on the key points and benefits of the CRISP for Kids program while minimizing any fluff. The only thing I can think of is giveaways, but that probably isn't good for this type of article.

Also, do you think you can come up with an executive brief for this?

I can do that. Smiley

Perhaps everyone can comment on which of the statements in the article have the biggest impact and should be included in an executive brief.  There are a couple of sentences that will appeal to the executive as a parent or grandparent, but are probably too "frilly" for the shortened and to-the-point brief.

Chase I wish I have more time to help out. The followings would be some of the key points I would focus on in writing an Executive Summary:

CRISP for kids was created to help the world's children and grandchildren develop strong saving habits early, in order to help secure their financial future.
allows for the easy participation of family and friends taking full advantage of DNotesVault for easy set-up and 100% guarantee.

are unstructured and self directed plans, using DNotes as the investment vehicle.  Re-occurring savings, in a any amount, may be added at any time.

the parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles from around the world are genuinely concerned about the financial well being of the children in their families

Children are great candidates  long term investment horizon and the early stage of the digital currency industry allows for significant capital appreciation

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 07:40:45 PM

Wow! Ethereum must be a trader's dream or nightmare, depending on the position one takes. It is certainly sucking up a lot of money out of the industry. It was up by over 70% this morning and now up 4%. With over $5 million already changed hand, someone lost a lot of money while a few are laughing all the way to the bank. It reminds me of Ripple of which I am still over 70% in the red after over a year and Bitshares which I almost wanted to make a heavy bet and would have lost over 87% from its high of $100 million, and now at $13 million. Guess I better hang on to my DNotes. Not the most exiting but at least I can get some sleep at night.

Watch for Tau Chain: http://cointelegraph.com/news/115118/tau-chain-a-decentralized-app-store-with-greater-flexibility-than-ethereum  and many more but remember that DNotes is a pure digital currency play until the Blockchain technologies get a little more matured or battle tested. Reportedly venture capital have been correct in one out of twenty bets.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 11:24:40 PM

BitLicense New York Exodus. Apparently it's not just exchanges leaving New York. Coinbase reported almost $100,000 to apply for BitLicense, that is just for New York, imagine if each state takes on the same requirements.

Behind the "exodus" of bitcoin startups from New York

The exits were a strong reaction to the application requirements for a BitLicense.

Last weekend the deadline to apply for a BitLicense came and went, and a slew of bitcoin startups went too—right out of New York State.

The BitLicense is New York’s regulatory badge of approval, required of all digital-currency businesses that are deemed “money transmitters” (companies that hold customer funds, most of them exchanges). And it has been highly controversial in bitcoin circles since it was first unveiled over year ago, after multiple revisions.

Bitcoin executives—even those who chose to apply for a license for their company—have gripes about the final set of rules, and are still hoping to see it change. This weekend, many of them decided to make a statement: rather than apply for the license, they left New York. For some with physical headquarters in the state, that meant literal moving trucks. For others it meant cutting off service to New York-based customers.

To leave New York entirely may seem like a drastic step, but much of the most fevered activity around trading of the digital currency is happening outside the U.S. anyway. The new defectors are all following ShapeShift, a startup led by outspoken bitcoin entrepreneur Erik Voorhees, which was the first to go, cutting off service to New York just days after the BitLicense came out.

Why are they upset?

Critics of the BitLicense see limitations in the specific rules, such as the requirement of new licenses for every new service offered. But the application process, too, has left some companies wringing their hands.

The application costs $5,000, which alone does not necessarily seem excessive. But executives say that the paperwork was extensive and required legal help, which carries additional fees. Jaron Lukasiewicz, CEO of Coinsetter, tells Fortune his company spent nearly $50,000 to apply for the BitLicense. George Frost, chief legal officer at Bitstamp, told Coinbase it was more like $100,000 for his company. If either of those figures is remotely accurate, that cost would certainly be prohibitive for smaller companies.

“You’d hope that the costs are outweighed by the value, but for some, maybe not,” says Lukasiewicz. He says that Coinsetter seriously considered not applying, but, “I definitely don’t need the legal risk.” Lukasiewicz is not a fan of the BitLicense, or of regulation in general for the space, but he says, “I don’t want to have to hide in New York. And I viewed it as something that could have marketing upside in terms of helping people feel safer using us.”

Those who leave and those who stay

This is not a comprehensive list, but here are some of the companies that packed up and left New York: Bitfinex, BitQuick, BTCGuild, Eobot, Genesis Mining, GoCoin, Kraken, LocalBitcoins, Paxful, and Poloniex. Xapo left New York back in May.

Almost all of them published statements about their reasons for refusing to apply, and most of them read similarly. “This particular piece of legislation is unnecessary and is an obstacle to free market innovation,” wrote Genesis Mining on its blog. Kraken, an exchange headquartered in San Francisco, said that the license, “comes at a price that exceeds the market opportunity of servicing New York residents. Therefore, we have no option but to withdraw our service from the state.”

Even some digital currency companies that are not money-transmitters, and thus do not need to obtain a BitLicense, voiced their criticism of the regulations and support for companies that exited. Paul Puey, CEO of Airbitz, wrote, “Luckily at Airbitz, we aren’t affected… With all the companies announcing these restrictions today, it should remind the community of the importance to be, and to support, decentralization. Bitcoin was intended to give people true control and access to their money and every time we use a centralized service, we aren’t truly using Bitcoin.”

[...]

http://fortune.com/2015/08/14/bitcoin-startups-leave-new-york-bitlicense/

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 04:15:12 AM

I will be out of town this weekend but came across this article I thought should be of concern to our industry. There are even more common grounds for our industry to unit and promote a single decentralized global digital currency. Otherwise the major banks will soon be out in force to justify that there is no place for Bitcoin and other digital currency since they can effectively move fiat currency around efficiently. 

AUGUST 14 DIGEST: itBit Won't Use Bitcoin for its Banking Project

New York-based Bitcoin exchange itBit has revealed that it won't use Bitcoin for its upcoming Bankchain project, the New York State Department of Financial Services has so far received 22 BitLicense applications, and more top stories for August 14.

itBit Reveals it Won't Use Bitcoin for its Banking Project

New York-based Bitcoin exchange itBit has revealed that it will not use Bitcoin for its upcoming Bankchain project. itBit's so-called Bankchain is a private shared ledger system for financial institutions, which borrows from Bitcoin and the blockchain, but is said to be different to them.
itBit’s senior vice president Steve Wager explained:

“Financial services firms cannot use the [Bitcoin] blockchain and that is primarily because of the validation protocol, meaning that a company like JP Morgan for example, wouldn’t be able to allow new risk into current processes by having unknown parties clearing their transactions for them or validating their transactions over the blockchain and as a result there’s the need for [permissible] ledgers.”
The exchange also announced that US National Security Agency veteran Ed Giorgio has joined its board of advisors

Source:
http://cointelegraph.com/news/115122/itbit-wont-use-bitcoin-for-its-banking-project-and-22-bitcoin-companies-have-applied-for-the-bitlicense
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 05:19:36 AM

Spring! At night at present, you can smell this blossom all the way into the house. The emu's name is 'Number One.'

Mark, Unicup, Western Australia

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:14:41 AM

Spring! At night at present, you can smell this blossom all the way into the house. The emu's name is 'Number One.'

I love Spring.  Have a great weekend!
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 12:34:13 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 01:15:58 PM by Chase

I will be out of town this weekend but came across this article I thought should be of concern to our industry. There are even more common grounds for our industry to unit and promote a single decentralized global digital currency. Otherwise the major banks will soon be out in force to justify that there is no place for Bitcoin and other digital currency since they can effectively move fiat currency around efficiently.  

New York-based Bitcoin exchange itBit has revealed that it won't use Bitcoin for its upcoming Bankchain project, the New York State Department of Financial Services has so far received 22 BitLicense applications, and more top stories for August 14.

New York-based Bitcoin exchange itBit has revealed that it will not use Bitcoin for its upcoming Bankchain project. itBit's so-called Bankchain is a private shared ledger system for financial institutions, which borrows from Bitcoin and the blockchain, but is said to be different to them.

“Financial services firms cannot use the [Bitcoin] blockchain and that is primarily because of the validation protocol, meaning that a company like JP Morgan for example, wouldn’t be able to allow new risk into current processes by having unknown parties clearing their transactions for them or validating their transactions over the blockchain and as a result there’s the need for [permissible] ledgers.”
The exchange also announced that US National Security Agency veteran Ed Giorgio has joined its board of advisors

Source:
http://cointelegraph.com/news/115122/itbit-wont-use-bitcoin-for-its-banking-project-and-22-bitcoin-companies-have-applied-for-the-bitlicense

I think this calls for worldwide industry initiated education campaign (like the one DNotes has started).  

The banks are not doing this for the benefit of the consumer or to help people around the world to be included in economic prosperity.  This is 100% about getting rid of a few jobs in the middle and increasing their profit margins.  

Perhaps we shouldn't focus the campaign on what the banks will be able to do, but rather on what they will never be able to do.  For example, if they will also have lightning fast transaction speed, we shouldn't focus so much attention on that.  They will NEVER put people first with the opportunity to share in the profits and other opportunities of a global currency.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 12:59:00 PM

Source:

I think this calls for worldwide industry initiated education campaign (like the one DNotes has started). 

The banks are not doing this for the benefit of the consumer or to help people around the world to be included in economic prosperity.  This is 100% about getting rid of a few jobs in the middle and increasing their profit margins. 

Perhaps we shouldn't focus the campaign on what the banks will be able to do, but rather on what they will never be able to do.  For example, if they will also have lightening fast transaction speed, we shouldn't focus so much attention on that.  They will NEVER put people first with the opportunity to share in the profits and other opportunities of a global currency.

Chase, you are right on the money. I will comment on this more next week. Our industry needs to define this new reality before they attempt to define us. Decentralized digital currency is truly the currency for everyone worldwide and the owners are their own bank. No middlemen, no sneaky bank  fees. Peer to peer medium of exchange.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 02:00:12 PM

Looks like a great place to start your day, sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee. Thanks for sharing.

infovortice2013
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 02:18:49 PM

Looks like a great place to start your day, sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee. Thanks for sharing.

some friend not lost one second to give a hug to three and say .-. ohh can you feel it.  Cheesy

amazing spring ! enjoy !

--- ether at this prices need than a milion $ fresh going to buy orders to mantain marketcap, remember is fund is about 18 milion $ that give them margin to make things like that to test miners, etc.. or sell his own ether at better prices, ico pices was like 0.0005 each ether, just remember it they only present miner net...... and i only heard bad things, fails and big problems surrounding it.. but who knows.

--- other thing if is someone has specialiced windows miner for gridseed blade 5,2 mhash, i solve the wifi problem but yesterday all day trying miners im not capable to make them run, if anyone can help . thanks
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 02:38:14 PM

some friend not lost one second to give a hug to three and say .-. ohh can you feel it.  Cheesy

amazing spring ! enjoy !

--- ether at this prices need than a milion $ fresh going to buy orders to mantain marketcap, remember is fund is about 18 milion $ that give them margin to make things like that to test miners, etc.. or sell his own ether at better prices, ico pices was like 0.0005 each ether, just remember it they only present miner net...... and i only heard bad things, fails and big problems surrounding it.. but who knows.

--- other thing if is someone has specialiced windows miner for gridseed blade 5,2 mhash, i solve the wifi problem but yesterday all day trying miners im not capable to make them run, if anyone can help . thanks

http://zadig.akeo.ie/
Download and install Zadig. Open zadig, select Options > List All Devices. Select one of the STM32 Virtual Com Port (Your Device may differ, you should have one for each blade, I think the 5.2 version have 2 blades) and click Reinstall Driver. You may need to do this for each listing of STM32 Virtual Com Port.

Download CGMiner 3.7.2 for Gridseed.
http://cryptomining-blog.com/wp-content/files/cgminer-3-7-2-gridseed-windows.zip
Run with the following options, your settings may differ a little.
cgminer --scrypt --gridseed-options=baud=115200,freq=800,chips=80,modules=2,usefifo=0,btc=0 --hotplug=0 -o stratum+tcp://dnotespool.com:8333 -u YOURUSERNAME -p YOURPASSWORD

Source: http://cryptomining-blog.com/1262-download-cgminer-3-7-2-for-windows-scrypt-mining-on-gridseed-5-chip-gc3355-asics/

matatyau-cohen

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 03:19:04 PM

Maybe someone in our community knows deeply these coins, so we will be able to know what are the common features of these coins (if any). with such info, we maybe can find a Crypsy's important consideration (based on these features), and even a consideration of further exchange sites once they adopt new coins

Wtf Cryptsy?

Market caps & (Volume):

CON: $27,000 ($290) - Added (Not on voting list)
SPRTS:  $6,300 ($80) - Added (Not on voting list)
AXIOM: $26,000 ($3000) - Added (Not on voting list)
CIRC: $187,000 ($22,000) - Added (Not on voting list)
NEOS: $23,000 ($150) - Added (41st on voting list)

NOTE: $1,240,000 ($550) - Not Added (1st on voting list).

No sense.
infovortice2013
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 03:21:22 PM

Download and install Zadig. Open zadig, select Options > List All Devices. Select one of the STM32 Virtual Com Port (Your Device may differ, you should have one for each blade, I think the 5.2 version have 2 blades) and click Reinstall Driver. You may need to do this for each listing of STM32 Virtual Com Port.

http://cryptomining-blog.com/wp-content/files/cgminer-3-7-2-gridseed-windows.zip
cgminer --scrypt --gridseed-options=baud=115200,freq=800,chips=80,modules=2,usefifo=0,btc=0 --hotplug=0 -o stratum+tcp://dnotespool.com:8333 -u YOURUSERNAME -p YOURPASSWORD

Source: http://cryptomining-blog.com/1262-download-cgminer-3-7-2-for-windows-scrypt-mining-on-gridseed-5-chip-gc3355-asics/

Much thanks bro i was missing modules=2,usefifo=0,btc=0 --hotplug=0, im going to try it XD
RJF

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 03:51:53 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2015, 05:32:33 PM by RJF

Much thanks bro i was missing modules=2,usefifo=0,btc=0 --hotplug=0, im going to try it XD

If you still have trouble after that, use "hotplug=1" to autosense the devices. Start cgminer first, then plug in each blade in turn for the first time giving time for you PC to assign the new zadig driver to each. These things are finicky but you will eventually learn their ins and outs....

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 06:50:16 PM

Maybe someone in our community knows deeply these coins, so we will be able to know what are the common features of these coins (if any). with such info, we maybe can find a Crypsy's important consideration (based on these features), and even a consideration of further exchange sites once they adopt new coins

Thanks Mati, I don't know off hand what reason they chose those specific ones. I'm sure there could be any number of reasons. I know Poloniex is looking for new and innovative coins. Bittrex was looking for popularity and social media. Most others wanted new coins for their immediate volumes, and others stuck with the voting list winners. Hard to say for Cryptsy, it used to be voting list winners though, now I can't say.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 10:15:53 PM

Still trying to hammer out the details for creating an executive brief on DCEBrief. The directors have been on email chain regarding. Here are some thoughts, and I encourage everyone to comment.

The ones on the site now were written by me as filler to get a feel for the visual effect. None of them make it over 100 words.

Visually, beyond 2 paragraphs might start to look like a lot to read on the homepage. Which is ok, just something to consider. Another idea may be to have a summary, executive brief, then the article.

In true executive summary form, it would cover all the major points without any fluff or filler.

I think we definitely need an upper limit of words for an executive summary, I don't know exactly what that will be, but most have suggested in the 200-300 range.

Do we need a minimum amount of words, as long as it meets the executive summary criteria?

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:26:42 AM

Still trying to hammer out the details for creating an executive brief on DCEBrief. The directors have been on email chain regarding. Here are some thoughts, and I encourage everyone to comment.

The ones on the site now were written by me as filler to get a feel for the visual effect. None of them make it over 100 words.

Visually, beyond 2 paragraphs might start to look like a lot to read on the homepage. Which is ok, just something to consider. Another idea may be to have a summary, executive brief, then the article.

In true executive summary form, it would cover all the major points without any fluff or filler.

I think we definitely need an upper limit of words for an executive summary, I don't know exactly what that will be, but most have suggested in the 200-300 range.

Do we need a minimum amount of words, as long as it meets the executive summary criteria?

I agree that any more than around 100 words or 2 paragraghs may be too much and a bit crowded.  This way the whole page can be read very quickly for someone in a rush.

"Another idea may be to have a summary, executive brief, then the article."   Would this mean that contributing writers would have to write 3 separate writeups?

Could the brief (homepage) be a few of the strongest key points to get the reader to check further if interested and then have full article follow the no fluff or filler rule as well?  Or the first ___ paragraghs of the full article must constitute the executive brief requirements (maybe highlighted in a different color background)?

These are just my random thoughts so please add on...

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 01:46:49 AM

I agree that any more than around 100 words or 2 paragraghs may be too much and a bit crowded.  This way the whole page can be read very quickly for someone in a rush.

"Another idea may be to have a summary, executive brief, then the article."   Would this mean that contributing writers would have to write 3 separate writeups?

Could the brief (homepage) be a few of the strongest key points to get the reader to check further if interested and then have full article follow the no fluff or filler rule as well?  Or the first ___ paragraghs of the full article must constitute the executive brief requirements (maybe highlighted in a different color background)?

Thanks Chase, as we write a few more I think we will get a better feel for it as well.

Summary + brief + article might be a much huh?

We could give those suggestions a shot and see how it works.

RJF

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 01:25:51 PM

I agree that any more than around 100 words or 2 paragraghs may be too much and a bit crowded.  This way the whole page can be read very quickly for someone in a rush.

"Another idea may be to have a summary, executive brief, then the article."  Would this mean that contributing writers would have to write 3 separate writeups?

Could the brief (homepage) be a few of the strongest key points to get the reader to check further if interested and then have full article follow the no fluff or filler rule as well?  Or the first ___ paragraghs of the full article must constitute the executive brief requirements (maybe highlighted in a different color background)?

Thanks Chase, as we write a few more I think we will get a better feel for it as well.

Summary + brief + article might be a much huh?

We could give those suggestions a shot and see how it works.

Executive Brief and Executive Summary are basically the same thing. Check out the advise from "Inc." below: (geared towards business plan summaries but still useful.)

How to Write an Executive Summary

When you're trying to sell an idea to a potential investor, you'll need to craft the pitch-perfect executive summary. Here's how to write one that will get your business plan read and your foot in the door.

Whether you've put together a business plan or an investment proposal, you're going to need an executive summary to preface your report. The summary should include the major details of your report, but it's important not to bore the reader with minutiae. Save the analysis, charts, numbers, and glowing reviews for the report itself. This is the time to grab your reader's attention and let the person know what it is you do and why he or she should read the rest of your business plan or proposal.

The executive summary is also an important way for you, as the entrepreneur, to determine which aspects of your company have the clearest selling points, and which aspects may require a bit more explanation. Akira Hirai, founder and CEO of Phoenix-based Cayenne Consulting, a firm that helps entrepreneurs develop business plans and financial forecasts, says the process of distilling the essence of your business down to a page forces you to think hard, decide what's important, and discard things that aren't essential to the story line. "By doing this," he says, "you develop a better vision of what your business is all about, and you become better at telling your story."

Why Write It?

Investors, lenders, executives, managers, and CEOs are busy. Always. That means the executive summary is an essential gateway for your business plan to get read. Think about it this way: If you had an endless list of things to do, and someone handed you an 80-page document and said, "Read this!" you'd probably first want to know why.

"The most important reason to include an executive summary is that in many cases, it is the only thing the reader will read," says Pablo Bonjour, founder and CEO of Katy, Texas-based SMG Business Plans, a company that offers entrepreneurs assistance in writing business plans. According to Bonjour, investors will read the executive summary to decide if they will even bother reading the rest of the business plan. It's rare for an investor or lender to read an entire business plan, at least in the initial stages of analysis and consideration for funding, so having a strong executive summary is key.

When you're writing your business plan, your goal is to get your foot in the door and face time with the investor. "Assuming that your business is a good fit for the investor, a strong executive summary will get you invited in for a meeting," Hirai says. "A poor executive summary will leave you standing in the cold."

The First Paragraph

Just as a movie might begin with a fight scene or a magazine article open with a funny anecdote, you'll need a strong hook for your executive summary.

"The most important part of an executive summary is the first paragraph that clearly explains what the company does," according to Dave Lavinsky, president of Growthink, a Los Angeles-based company that helps entrepreneurs develop business plans and raise capital. "Most business plans start with a story that tries to create excitement, and this doesn't always work."

One way to think about it, says Hirai, is that your executive summary needs an executive summary. The first paragraph needs to compel the reader to read the rest of the summary. Perhaps you have a compelling aha! moment, so you might start with that. If you've identified a problem in the marketplace that isn't being adequately serviced, you might start with that.

The Nuts and Bolts

There is no set structure for an executive summary, but there are guidelines you must follow to ensure your business plan or investment proposal gets the attention it deserves. First, think about your core strengths. Use bullet points to present your ideas, and make sure you always use concise language.

"You need to match your story to your audience, your business, and your desired outcomes," says Hirai. "If you have an exceptional management team, you might start with that."

Ask yourself what's unique and exciting about your company. After you've explained what your company does, it's time to sell why you believe you're uniquely qualified to succeed.

Lavinsky recommends addressing these questions when putting together your executive summary:

• Do you have a unique partnership?

• Do you already have customers and traction?

• Do you have patents or technology?

• Is your marketing plan special in some way?

Depending on your audience, you can also try a more rigid approach to the executive summary. After the first paragraph, Bonjour says one effective structure is to summarize each section in the same order in which the items are presented within the full business plan. To make the structure as relevant as possible for the reader, typically an investor or a lender, he suggests considering these categories:

• A Company Description Summary

• The Problem

• Your Solution

• Why Now

The Why Now category is one of the most important questions to answer, because it makes your executive summary timely. The last thing you want is to leave the reader feeling like there's plenty of time to act. Chances are, if there isn't any urgency to your executive summary, your business plan won't get read.

After describing the elements above, the executive summary should also have a brief financial summary. For your financials, Bonjour suggests including the valuation of the deal, so that the reader knows right away what the risks are, and what the returns can be.

Strictly Professional or Humorous? What's the Tone?

This depends on who your readers are. Do your research. If you're presenting your plan to investors, make sure the language of the executive summary caters to their backgrounds. For example, if you know your investor has a degree in chemical engineering, your language might be different from that in the executive summary presented to an investor who studied philosophy.

In other words, "use language that will resonate with your target audience," says Hirai. Don't be afraid to change your executive summary when you present it to different investors. Consider creating different versions for each audience, he says, but make sure that it's always kept professional, crisp, and free of any embarrassing errors. Another good tip he gives is to use personal pronouns (e.g., "we" and "our") over general nouns (e.g., "the company"). Your reader will feel a stronger personal connection with you, your brand, and your idea if you can relate to the reader in the first person.

Don't forget to be confident, either. If the writer does not clearly believe in this company, says Bonjour, why should the reader believe in it? Put yourself in your reader's shoes, and ask yourself why you would want to invest in a company. "Think about it like a job interview or asking a girl out on a date," he says. "If you are not confident and don't act like you want it, chances are you won't get anywhere."

The Length

Remember, every executive summary is--and should be--unique. Depending on the size of the business plan or investment proposal you're sending, the executive summary's length will vary. However, the general consensus is that an executive summary should be between one and four pages long.

Think logically. A two-page summary can be printed on the front and back of a single page, which can feel like a professional brochure. And if you can't tell the essence of your story in a page or two, says Hirai, then you probably haven't thought things through well enough.

Echoing this thought, Bonjour asserts that "you can cheat a bit by using smaller fonts, widening your margins, shrinking images and tables, but ultimately you need to summarize everything contained within the executive summary. After all, it is called a 'summary' for a reason."

What to Avoid

"The reason most business entrepreneurs get executive summaries wrong is that they believe the goal of the executive summary is to get the investors to give them a check," says Lavinsky. "The goal of the executive summary is to get the investor to read the business plan or to meet with you."

With that in mind, clear your vocabulary of any superlatives, clichés, or claims that can't be backed up, he adds. Avoid using terms like "the best," "groundbreaking," "cutting-edge," and "world-class." "Investors see those words day in and day out," he says, "and eventually they lose meaning."

Note:

The only thing I don't agree with is the "one to four pages", thats way too long for our purposes. They are mainly talking about summarizing business plans where being brief can be 4 pages long. I think, for our purposes, a 300 word cap would be appropriate. The preceding paragraphs titled "The Length" and "What to Avoid" are 243 words .

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
Pages: « 1 ... 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 [341] 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: