Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:37:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 501 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][CLAM] CLAMs, Proof-Of-Chain, Proof-Of-Working-Stake, a.k.a. "Clamcoin"  (Read 1150751 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
SuperClam (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1002

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 10:09:47 PM

There is a bunch of information concerning the changes and reasoning behind the changes in the update coming in a very short while to the OP Post.
[...]
We don't hide our commits.  
We invite anyone who has "chops" to contribute to the CLAMS project: we believe in open source software.
Where is the "bunch of information"?
I see commits to the git repo. Most of them have lot messages like "update" and "updates" and no code comments.
There are no pull requests being submitted and discussed that I see.
So what is the open source strategy you're using? It sounds to me like I'm missing out on most of the discussion. Where does it happen?

You are absolutely correct: there is a great deal of organization and such that needs to get completed.

Please try to understand that up until about a week ago CLAMS was our own little "labor of love" that absolutely no one paid attention to  Cheesy
We primarily communicate via irc; a good first step to getting involved would likely be to /query creativecuriosit.

The information I mentioned concerning the Lottery that was previously released was primarily via Twitter.

I tried to add some more detailed information concerning the update to the OP Post.
I hope that explains things somewhat more clearly.

We believe that the changes to block reward will level the playing field and adds excitement to participating in the CLAMS network.

We've done our best to test the update back-to-front; but CLAMS is still evolving and rapidly changing.
We likely aren't the best match for someone who wants a static coin to invest in; as we have a long list of ideas we intend to flesh out over the coming months.

In fact, the previous 1% interest would likely better be served by a conventional bond or security investment; if that is your cup-of-tea.

To those concerned about the ramifications of the update, please give it a chance.
More importantly, let's get the CLAMS network nice and healthy!

Get your CLAMS to your wallet, and lets stake some Lottery Blocks  Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623147
Proof-Of-Chain, 100% Distributed BEFORE Launch.
Everyone who owned BTC, LTC, or DOGE at launch got free CLAMS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SuperClam (OP)

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 10:23:53 PM

I'm noticing the "Pearl Payouts Percentage Rankings" are offline?
http://khashier.com/workers
Any chance they can be restored?
Thanks!

Done.

SuperClam (OP)

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2014, 10:25:14 PM

I am taking questions about the update in the Poloniex Trollbox, feel free to stop in and say "hi" Smiley
 Poloniex.com

energiel

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 12:20:06 AM

Hello, can we use import privat key from paperwallet or it realy need a wallet file ?
Thank's
SuperClam (OP)

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 12:40:39 AM

Hello, can we use import privat key from paperwallet or it realy need a wallet file ?
Thank's

importprivkey console command will work just fine Smiley

User dooglus brought up a valid point earlier concerning paper wallets though; be aware that although the CLAMClient software is safe, you are still exposing your paper wallet to an internet connected computer, and all the risks that come along with that.

almightyruler
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 01:51:43 AM

I've just had a quick look at the code, and it appears that the seed is based on the previous block's hash, therefore the reward can be calculated in advance.

It's going to be relatively simple (probably just one conditional statement) to modify the client to only try to stake if the reward for that block is above a certain amount. You don't even need special software like you would if doing selective PoW mining to take advantage of superblocks.

This means a client can choose not to stake unless the reward is (say) tier 3 or better. This allows someone with a smaller balance (who may not be able to stake much) to win more than they normally would. I consider this a serious flaw.

I don't understand why the reward system is being changed so soon after launch. Won't this completely change the 'rarity' of this coin?
almightyruler
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:02:56 AM

BTW SuperClam, you should post an update to the end of the thread, as well as updating the OP. If it wasn't for the discussion by others I would have never known about the upcoming fork.

Needs more notice, too. At the current minting rate the fork will happen in less than 24 hours. You're going to have a bunch of people this time tomorrow who have no idea the network has forked. What's the rush?
SuperClam (OP)

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 02:18:23 AM

If there are any adult ladies who are fans of CLAMS, there is a new NSFW Sub-Reddit ready for tip-posting:
CLAMS 4 CLAMS

I've just had a quick look at the code, and it appears that the seed is based on the previous block's hash, therefore the reward can be calculated in advance.
It's going to be relatively simple (probably just one conditional statement) to modify the client to only try to stake if the reward for that block is above a certain amount. You don't even need special software like you would if doing selective PoW mining to take advantage of superblocks.
This means a client can choose not to stake unless the reward is (say) tier 3 or better. This allows someone with a smaller balance (who may not be able to stake much) to win more than they normally would. I consider this a serious flaw.
I don't understand why the reward system is being changed so soon after launch. Won't this completely change the 'rarity' of this coin?

Quite possibly a valid argument, though made MUCH less extreme due to the lack of multi-pools and such in a Proof-Of-Stake situation.
Age may still be able to be accrued waiting for better blocks, however.

Update #2 is coming fast down the pike, and though it wasn't intended to be a fork; there is no reason improvements that cause a fork can't be included.

Please create an 'issue' on the github page; the hash should likely be passed in from CreateCoinStake() when creating a stake block.
Passing your concern on to those more intelligent.

No rush, in fact it was planned for this weekend and the code has been complete for some time.

Someone started staking recently with quite a large pile; moved us from ~7-10 minute stake blocks to ~2 minute stake blocks which threw our previous estimates off by almost an order of magnitude.

All the more reason to incentiv-ize staking, as a healthier, more staked network wouldn't have such a range of stake times.

SuperClam (OP)

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 02:21:03 AM

Concerning "rarity" the answer should be, over the long-term -> no.

Running years worth of blocks through our scripts, the yearly inflation works out to very close to the same depending on luck, ~1-2%

It is quite "exponential" in that larger reward blocks are quite rare, much like a lottery.

phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 05:36:55 AM
Last edit: July 12, 2014, 05:52:43 AM by phzi

Running years worth of blocks through our scripts, the yearly inflation works out to very close to the same depending on luck, ~1-2%

It is quite "exponential" in that larger reward blocks are quite rare, much like a lottery.
AKA block rewards waiting to be manipulated?  Simply put: revert this change NOW, or explain it in detail ASAP.

"Lotto" (pseudo-random/predictable) block rewards worked out horribly for every blockchain that has implemented this scheme of block reward determination for PoW blocks (Doge, the original implementation, eventually reverted their pseudo-random block rewards due to abuse)....

Why exactly do you think this is going to be different for PoS blocks? (hint: it won't...)

---

Until this is resolved to sufficient satisfaction, I strongly advise that nobody invest in CLAMs, and sell anything you have...

I have been in this thread and a supporter of this idea since close to the beginning, but this change is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE WITHOUT FULL PRIOR EXPLANATION.

If the community does not receive a detailed overview of all changes in this hardfork, along with a precise overview of how this will affect the network in the future, plus detailed information about why this is secure, this coin is now dead in the water...

@SuperClam:  you are killing a great idea - the only possible reason I can imagine for such an unexplained fork is that you're trying to generate large lotto blocks for you/your-team though PoS reward manipulation....

Create some damn GUI elements if you are a competent enough dev to do so... stop changing things that were working fine and didn't need changing.

---

If SuperClam does not revert this fork, I will be publishing a wallet branch that ONLY stakes high-value lotto blocks....

Further point of consideration for everyone:  the way the new code is implemented, you're best splitting your clams into as many addresses as possible.  You will stake each the same, irrelevant of the age or contents.  Funny.... this sort of spreading coins between addresses is exactly how the CLAM devs could have rewarded themselves with an absurd amount of clams from the get-go, without anyone being the wiser (this has been brought up in this thread before, more then once).
SuperClam (OP)

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 06:18:22 AM

AKA block rewards waiting to be manipulated?  Simply put: revert this change NOW, or explain it in detail ASAP.
"Lotto" (pseudo-random/predictable) block rewards worked out horribly for every blockchain that has implemented this scheme of block reward determination for PoW blocks (Doge, the original implementation, eventually reverted their pseudo-random block rewards due to abuse)....
Why exactly do you think this is going to be different for PoS blocks? (hint: it won't...)
---
Until this is resolved to sufficient satisfaction, I strongly advise that nobody invest in CLAMs, and sell anything you have...
I have been in this thread and a supporter of this idea since close to the beginning, but this change is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE WITHOUT FULL PRIOR EXPLANATION.
If the community does not receive a detailed overview of all changes in this hardfork, along with a precise overview of how this will affect the network in the future, plus detailed information about why this is secure, this coin is now dead in the water...
@SuperClam:  you are killing a great idea - the only possible reason I can imagine for such an unexplained fork is that you're trying to generate large lotto blocks for you/your-team though PoS reward manipulation....
Create some damn GUI elements if you are a competent enough dev to do so... stop changing things that were working fine and didn't need changing.
---
If SuperClam does not revert this fork, I will be publishing a wallet branch that ONLY stakes high-value lotto blocks....
Further point of consideration for everyone:  the way the new code is implemented, you're best splitting your clams into as many addresses as possible.  You will stake each the same, irrelevant of the age or contents.  Funny.... this sort of spreading coins between addresses is exactly how the CLAM devs could have rewarded themselves with an absurd amount of clams from the get-go, without anyone being the wiser (this has been brought up in this thread before, more then once).

First, and foremost, you have indeed been involved in this thread for some time; and CLAMS in general -> thank you.
It is always your ability and prerogative to publish an alternative wallet.  Personally, I would much rather you apply that effort and skill towards helping us improve the CLAMClient - starting with the random block issue you are so extremely worried about.  We are a new and yet small network; forks are not impossible by any means.  We have never claimed to be Jedi-Developers.  In fact, we have repeatedly suggested folks post issues, and get involved - you would be welcomed to the team, just as anyone else here.

Your argument that you will stake each the same regardless of the contents only holds sway in an immature network with low stake weight. 
In a higher stake weight network, those small outputs would struggle to stake at all.

You ask for detailed information about the hard-fork.
I assume you have read the two paragraphs of explanation in the OP Post?

In addition, you are aware that the code applied, is not the code that was previously linked to by a community member; i.e. there are no "tiers" in the Lottery implementation?  The lottery implementation is an exponential decay function smoothly adjusting the reward?

The reasoning is simple; one of the primary goals of CLAMS is Aequitas, as listed on the main image in the OP Post.

This takes away at least some of the advantage that massively rich holders have in a proof-of-stake system.

We don't believe that having a large pile of CLAMS (output) entitles a person to stake at will with a lower difficulty, earning the same amount of coins regardless of how often they stake their wallet (as coin age accrues).  As all things, we expect this to find a balance.  How large must the output/pile be to reliably stake often.  Users will then divide their coins into piles of that size (much as is the case with standard PoS where there is a "sweet spot" concerning compound interest and stake pile size).

In addition, staking your wallet only occasionally has security implications for the network. This has been a major problem for CLAMS just as it has been a problem for many other Proof-Of-Stake coins.  We have had sluggish and un-even blocks which affect users.  We much prefer a secure network where folks are rewarded for staking their wallets, and competing for blocks, continuously.

In short, this update is not rolling-back, as we don't believe it will allow folks to stake whatever size block they want at will.  We would much rather you apply yourself to getting involved and helping out with CLAMS, rather than developing software to attempt to subvert it -> but we can't force you to do so.  Regardless, your time spent in the thread is appreciated, and your concerns are listened to more than you might know.  Work has already begun to include adjustments to how the lottery system will work in the next update (which isn't very far in the future as it is).  You are personally invited to take part,

SuperCLAM

garthkiser

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 06:46:44 AM

Proof-of-stake = rewards go to the rich
Clamming-for-pearls = rewards go to the most dedicated workers

I know which world I'd rather live in.

The original Satashi dream behind cryptocurrency was to build a foundation for a new world. The CLAMS project is living and breathing that spirit.

Devs, don't fret harsh words from unhappy speculators. Dogs bark, the caravan passes.

personOfUninterest

Activity: 5

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 12:21:46 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2014, 07:51:30 PM by personOfUninterest

Is this normal?

https://i.imgur.com/cAPw1VV.png?1

All I tried to do was start the client. Was running fine last night.

Edit - Uninstalled and reinstalled - nothing. Copy CLAM data folder (appdata). Delete original, starts ok. Shut it down and replace blkxxx.dat and wallet.dat with backups.

And, success. Somewhat - it opens but looks like the wallet is frozen but still dealing with files. I guess the problem was my computer crashed in the middle of the night.

Well, I've left it on all day, but it's still frozen. The data files (logs, chain etc) are still being wrote to disk in realtime, it's just the damn thing's frozen (and will get an end program dialog if i click it's window). Wonder if I'm still staking.

https://i.imgur.com/xFy9SZy.png
almightyruler
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 02:43:38 PM

I did what I thought would be a quick hack to demonstrate that it's possible to determine the block reward in advance - but it's turned into something a bit more involved as I try to track down why it doesn't seem to be working. While it's possible that there's a problem with my head, I think it may actually be a problem with the code. In particular, these two lines:

Code:
        double multFactor = 3000; //Exponential Curve Factor
        double nCoefficient = pow(randCoefficient, multFactor);

If I'm thinking right, multiplying a number less than 1 (randCoefficient) to the power of 3000 (multFactor) is going to result in an absolutely tiny number, requiring an impossible level of precision, that cannot be represented by a double as anything other than 0.

That means this line:

Code:
        int64_t nSubsidy = ceil(((maxReward - minReward) * nCoefficient) + minReward);

Will always evaluate to minReward (0.1)

Here's some debug output with real world block hashes, showing that nCoefficient is always 0, therefore nSubsidy is always 0.1:

Code:
07/12/14 14:26:43 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=29f0d2a76fdf4573847a seed=72824903 random=542291982 randCoefficient=0.252524 nCoefficient=0.000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:28:16 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=2d99d6f4ee45131ac67f seed=20032615 random=1693255362 randCoefficient=0.788483 nCoefficient=0.000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:29:42 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=f9866c8058933118ea75 seed=51482279 random=1715902391 randCoefficient=0.799029 nCoefficient=0.000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:32:03 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=643bfcdef7c6ae2c07e7 seed=182632574 random=3318700 randCoefficient=0.001545 nCoefficient=0.000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:32:35 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=43c409e4d4b3372218ed seed=57811342 random=1825586551 randCoefficient=0.850104984 nCoefficient=0.000000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:32:48 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=2d5a3f182d648612d8eb seed=140586382 random=2036807530 randCoefficient=0.948462417 nCoefficient=0.000000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:35:12 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=bfa797d451978c9a483b seed=147432579 random=463092525 randCoefficient=0.215644261 nCoefficient=0.000000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:35:30 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=cf2dee303d5ef0cb8e4f seed=252492004 random=1580658763 randCoefficient=0.736051595 nCoefficient=0.000000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:36:00 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=575cab3b77a4c635f444 seed=207839044 random=678160768 randCoefficient=0.315793216 nCoefficient=0.000000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:41:24 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=af3cd07b9b0af2da3c17 seed=254649281 random=1091820355 randCoefficient=0.508418472 nCoefficient=0.000000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:42:15 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=b98846a1e1595b07b671 seed=95452007 random=448878011 randCoefficient=0.209025113 nCoefficient=0.000000000 nSubsidy=0.10
07/12/14 14:42:42 DebugProofOfStakeReward hash=91a0ef3ed4daf73275b0 seed=259204955 random=1059632437 randCoefficient=0.493429805 nCoefficient=0.000000000 nSubsidy=0.10
undergroundgeek

Activity: 21

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 03:39:38 PM

I'm trying to stake, but the client says the coins aren't "mature".

8 hours, right?

Minimum Stake Age: 8 Hours
phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 04:04:35 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2014, 04:34:41 PM by phzi

I did what I thought would be a quick hack to demonstrate that it's possible to determine the block reward in advance - but it's turned into something a bit more involved as I try to track down why it doesn't seem to be working. While it's possible that there's a problem with my head, I think it may actually be a problem with the code. In particular, these two lines:

[...]

Try some larger values. Your tests may be correct, but you're missing the 'lotto' aspect of this.  The odds of hitting a block greater then the minimum are fairly low.  Also, what happened to ceil() when calculating nSubsidy?  Shouldn't it be impossible to have an nSubsidy value less then 1 as a result of rounding with ceil()?

Here's how I read the code:

nSubsidy = ceil(((maxReward - minReward) * nCoefficient) + minReward);
nSubsidy = ceil(((1000 - .1) * nCoefficient) + .1)
nSubsidy = ceil((999.9 * nCoefficient) + .1)

Since ceil rounds up, if (999.9 * nCoefficient) is 0, then nSubsidy = 1.  So, for the lotto effect it must be true that (999.9 * nCoefficient) > .9:

nSubsidy = ceil(.9 + .1) = 1
nSubsidy = ceil(.91 + .1) = 2

So, what are the odds of hitting a lotto block?

(999.9 * nCoefficient) > .9
nCoefficient > .00090009
nCoefficient = randCoefficient^multFactor
nCoefficient = randCoefficient^3000
randCoefficient^3000 > .00090009
randCoefficient > .997665

So, you have 2,335/1,000,000 odds (467/200,000) of hitting a lotto block.

Of course, as randCoefficient grows, so does the reward.

nSubsidy = ceil(1.91 + .1) = 3
(999.9 * nCoefficient) > 1.91
nCoefficient > .00191019
randCoefficient^3000 > .00191019
randCoefficient > .997915

(2,085/1,000,000) odds of a reward >= 3

nSubsidy = ceil(98.91 + .1) = 100
(999.9 * nCoefficient) > 98.91
nCoefficient > .0989199
randCoefficient^3000 > .0989199
randCoefficient > .999229

(771/1,000,000) odds of a reward >= 100

nSubsidy = ceil(899.91 + .1) = 900
(999.9 * nCoefficient) > 899.91
nCoefficient > .9
randCoefficient^3000 > .9
randCoefficient > ~.999965

(35/1,000,000) odds of a reward >= 900

Max reward:
nSubsidy = ceil(998.91 + .1) = 1000
(999.9 * nCoefficient) > 998.91
nCoefficient > .99901
randCoefficient^3000 > .99901
randCoefficient > ~.9999996698

(almost impossible odds ~ 3/10,000,000)

I did this in my head while reading the code; no promises I didn't miss or miss-interpret something.

You ask for detailed information about the hard-fork.
I assume you have read the two paragraphs of explanation in the OP Post?

In addition, you are aware that the code applied, is not the code that was previously linked to by a community member; i.e. there are no "tiers" in the Lottery implementation?  The lottery implementation is an exponential decay function smoothly adjusting the reward?
Yes, indeed... my comments were based on my read-thru of the latest github commits and the OP in this thread.

The fact that the lottery is an exponential decay function is exactly what I am asking that you explain properly in the OP.  Most people can't be expected to read or test the code to understand this, and I suggest that your explanations have been a bit overly simple so far.  How about a nice graph/chart showing the odds of different block rewards, along with a few more comments about how this is a positive thing?

Hardforks without detailed and well considered information about the effects of that hardfork are simply worrying.

~260 blocks left until lotto fork.
SuperClam (OP)

CLAM Developer

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 05:14:31 PM

Yes, indeed... my comments were based on my read-thru of the latest github commits and the OP in this thread.
The fact that the lottery is an exponential decay function is exactly what I am asking that you explain properly in the OP.  Most people can't be expected to read or test the code to understand this, and I suggest that your explanations have been a bit overly simple so far.  How about a nice graph/chart showing the odds of different block rewards, along with a few more comments about how this is a positive thing?
Hardforks without detailed and well considered information about the effects of that hardfork are simply worrying.
~260 blocks left until lotto fork.

Phzi,

I am on a tablet, and thus not able to reference my notes concerning your math, but it seems quite accurate.  The exponential decay is so..... exponential.... to attempt to keep yearly inflation in line with previous targets, while providing incentive to folks (in as even a manner as possible) to stake.  One of our primary concerns since launch has been the rate and consistency with which the network has been staking blocks.  This update was in large part designed to attempt to help in that respect by providing a larger pool of people who have an interest in staking.

Is anyone in the community good with graphs?  To be completely honest, I have never rendered a line graph or such, but it would be helpful in visualizing the reward structure.  If anyone has noticed, we aren't exactly skilled with the whole marketing and visual aspect of this Tongue

It was never our intention to 'thrust' this upon everyone or make it feel as though it was without warning.  We had been promising this update, and hinting at it via twitter from sometime; in addition in Poloniex trollbox.  The code was set with block heights initially with block time estimates placing it squarely in Sunday evening.  Since then, the network has continued to grow and even after pushing it back 500 blocks, it appears our targets just aren't accurate as the stake time seems to continue to change.  The difference between 10 minutes block times and 2 minute block times on fork estimates is, well, drastic.

Ironically, it is exactly that problem that drove the fork itself - an unhealthy crypto network is a vulnerable crypto network.  Any 'use' requires a stable, consistent stake time...  It was our hope that providing a decent incentive to smaller holders (which the majority of claimers are likely to be, and given their output age are likely to stake almost immediately upon importing) they would see the immediate 'reasonable' stake in their wallets and share some of our excitement for CLAMS -> hopefully, getting involved in the community instead of dumping their 'share' and moving onward.  The choice of an exponential decay function was quite simple, as we are not a fan of inflation.  We saw it as the only way to provide the opportunity and powerful incentive of large gains, which will hopefully get folks involved in the network, while at the same time maintaining a reasonable inflation rate.

One of our major problems right now is: How do we get friends who claim their CLAMS to stick around, get involved, participate in the network and increase security and consistency, instead of claiming their CLAMS, dumping them, and moving on.  We saw this lottery update as a step in the direction of solving that issue.

Will be back a bit later - I hope that helps a bit in framing some our thoughts behind the entire issue,

Yours Truly,
SuperCLAM.

personOfUninterest

Activity: 5

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 07:48:11 PM

8 hours, right?

Mine took longer than 8 hours. From what I could tell maybe twice as long. If it tells you your stake reward is in 20 minutes, wait 20 minutes and it might say 15.

Then again, I'm not a CLAMillionaire. So I don't know if that's the reason. But it appears the averages could be optimized.
xploited

Activity: 304
Merit: 252

CLAM Dev

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 08:54:57 PM

8 hours, right?

Mine took longer than 8 hours. From what I could tell maybe twice as long. If it tells you your stake reward is in 20 minutes, wait 20 minutes and it might say 15.

Then again, I'm not a CLAMillionaire. So I don't know if that's the reason. But it appears the averages could be optimized.

8 hours is really just an estimate based on how long it takes to reach maturity. The block maturity is 500, so 510 (10 for confirmation) blocks after you put the Clams in your wallet the green light should come on and staking should begin. The block times have been slower then then should be which is why it would have taken more then 8 hours. 

Also, from my understanding the 'stake reward time' is just an estimation calculated from your weight and the network weight. It can be pretty inaccurate (from experience), especially with growing networks like Clam's

yampi

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 11:13:44 PM

Is this normal?

All I tried to do was start the client. Was running fine last night.

Edit - Uninstalled and reinstalled - nothing. Copy CLAM data folder (appdata). Delete original, starts ok. Shut it down and replace blkxxx.dat and wallet.dat with backups.

And, success. Somewhat - it opens but looks like the wallet is frozen but still dealing with files. I guess the problem was my computer crashed in the middle of the night.

Well, I've left it on all day, but it's still frozen. The data files (logs, chain etc) are still being wrote to disk in realtime, it's just the damn thing's frozen (and will get an end program dialog if i click it's window). Wonder if I'm still staking.

Delete everything but wallet.dat
If it fails to start or freezes then your wallet.dat most likely is corrupted.
Make frequent backups.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 501 »
  Print  

Jump to: