Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:59:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 [872] 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984233 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
samysamy1

Activity: 490
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 12:56:18 PM

Some bright guy just dumped at a loss all the way down to 64.

Better to sell at 64 sats than 4 sats. Where are we at with development? I feel like we are losing development team steam.

Why don't you join Nem on telegram and meet some key members and make a positive contribution? Because they hardly show themeselves on bitcointalk doesn't mean that they aren't doing anything?

https://muut.com/neweconomy
https://twitter.com/NEMofficial
Thingamajig

Activity: 497
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:00:39 PM

those who do little say lots, those who do lots say little.

Spot on right there.
yshin365new

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:11:42 PM

Sorry for this basic question: Is making a wallet backup necessary or is it enough to save only your private key and password?

saving the private key alone is a back up in and of itself. you only need to save the wallet password if you are backing up/saving the wallet file. but you should probably make multiple back ups. but to specifically answer your question, no its not neccesary, probly just best/better practice. i have two back ups of private keys and 2 back ups of wallet files. better safe than sorry Cheesy
Besides backing up/saving the wallet file(.adb & .wlt), should I have to back up private keys, too?
Wallet file is not enough?
I backed up/saved  file, but did not even open a private keys.
Because private key has not password, I think it very dangerous to pick it out from account and store it somewhere.
Even if somebody took my wallet file, it is useless to him, because password is only in my memory.
But somebody took my private key, he can take my coins without password.
Am I doing wrong now?
yshin365new

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:15:01 PM

Sorry for this basic question: Is making a wallet backup necessary or is it enough to save only your private key and password?

saving the private key alone is a back up in and of itself. you only need to save the wallet password if you are backing up/saving the wallet file. but you should probably make multiple back ups. but to specifically answer your question, no its not neccesary, probly just best/better practice. i have two back ups of private keys and 2 back ups of wallet files. better safe than sorry Cheesy
Besides backing up/saving the wallet file(.adb & .wlt), should I have to back up private keys, too?
Because private key has not password, I think it very dangerous to pick it out from account and store it somewhere.
Even if somebody took my wallet file, it is useless to him, because password is only in my memory.
Am I doing wrong now?

no your doing everything fine. backing up just the wallet file is OK but to be EXTRA safe, you could disconnect your computer from the internet when you are in your wallet, and just write down the private key of the account(s) that have funds in them, and put that piece of paper away somewhere safe. (if you suspect you might have a key logger, dont do this). all electronics can, and will mostly likely at some point in time fail.. so you should keep a non-digital copy of your private key somewhere. the more digital copies you have, obviously the less likely it will be that they all fail/get lost/stolen, but its probably still best to keep an offline copy of your private key and store it somewhere you are completely sure it is safe.
Now, fully understood. Thanks a lot!
When I buy new PC, disconnected from the internet, pick out private key, and then...
memorize it!
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 02:15:45 PM

I like backing up my wallet in a couple of places in case my computer fails, but I also have my private keys printed on paper and stored in two places that can't really be found by anybody but me.  

jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 02:18:17 PM

Am I doing wrong now?

no your doing everything fine. backing up just the wallet file is OK but to be EXTRA safe, you could disconnect your computer from the internet when you are in your wallet, and just write down the private key of the account(s) that have funds in them, and put that piece of paper away somewhere safe. (if you suspect you might have a key logger, dont do this). all electronics can, and will mostly likely at some point in time fail.. so you should keep a non-digital copy of your private key somewhere. the more digital copies you have, obviously the less likely it will be that they all fail/get lost/stolen, but its probably still best to keep an offline copy of your private key and store it somewhere you are completely sure it is safe.
Now, fully understood. Thanks a lot!
When I buy new PC, disconnected from the internet, pick out private key, and then...
memorize it!

You can also boot from an Ubuntu CD or USB and run this nice little paper wallet program.  Booting from an Ubuntu USB or CD might even be safer as it is open-source Linux.  https://forum.ournem.com/general-discussion/so-wow!-beautiful-paper-wallets!/

yshin365new

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 02:27:55 PM

"memorize it!" was a joke.  Cheesy
I will cut the private key written paper into 2 pieces, and store them in another places.
Vicodin

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

Power the World for FREE

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 03:31:14 PM

Price isn't everything at this point, but it's going up, and will continue to go up. I've been right so far, but this is an easy one to see. IMHO of course.

At launch the price was over 100. It went down all the way to around 55 a  week later. It went up o 72 on April 27. Today it's close  to 68, so what exactly are you are right about? This isn't much difference

After the initial dip the line is going up. This is what I meant by "overall". That is what I'm saying. Its going up, and will continue to go up OVERALL IMHO.

There may be quick peaks or quick dips, but I BELIEVE that we will see steady progress upward.

The NEM devs are not flashy and pumping NEM, they are quietly working and making improvements. This is why I think we will see slow, but steady gains. The gains are solid and not based on artificial pumps.

This is why I am big on NEM. This is not an attack on Nxt, the coin you are obviously big on. I personally like them both.

tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 05:04:04 PM

Much depends on the whitepaper which is coming around soon. If it holds what it promises than we will see upgoing trend.

Price isn't everything at this point, but it's going up, and will continue to go up. I've been right so far, but this is an easy one to see. IMHO of course.

At launch the price was over 100. It went down all the way to around 55 a  week later. It went up o 72 on April 27. Today it's close  to 68, so what exactly are you are right about? This isn't much difference

After the initial dip the line is going up. This is what I meant by "overall". That is what I'm saying. Its going up, and will continue to go up OVERALL IMHO.

There may be quick peaks or quick dips, but I BELIEVE that we will see steady progress upward.

The NEM devs are not flashy and pumping NEM, they are quietly working and making improvements. This is why I think we will see slow, but steady gains. The gains are solid and not based on artificial pumps.

This is why I am big on NEM. This is not an attack on Nxt, the coin you are obviously big on. I personally like them both.

samysamy1

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 09:12:13 PM

Much depends on the whitepaper which is coming around soon. If it holds what it promises than we will see upgoing trend.

At launch the price was over 100. It went down all the way to around 55 a  week later. It went up o 72 on April 27. Today it's close  to 68, so what exactly are you are right about? This isn't much difference

Makoto mentioned that Nem will be having something that Ethereum won't have but it's currently a secret.
nzminer
Legendary

Activity: 1918

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 09:46:06 PM

At launch the price was over 100. It went down all the way to around 55 a  week later. It went up o 72 on April 27. Today it's close  to 68, so what exactly are you are right about? This isn't much difference

I like both and have invested in both, price dropped because people panic sold after launch, in turn creating a dump, but it was not as hard a dump as i expected, price is stable and climbing back to a good solid level.

I too dont like it when devs try and pump up their coin, or where announcements of new features are needed to pump the price, im after solid devs with solid work behind them, and thats why im happy to be part of NEM.

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]
KickAzzDude

Activity: 519
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 10:12:43 PM

Finally got my stake and now I'm trying to harvest. Do I have to leave the browser NEM client open or does it harvest if I just have it in the system tray?

NoirSuccubus

Activity: 353
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 11:02:58 PM

I wasn't familiar with muut until checking out Nem's page recently. After messing around on it for a few minutes I've decided I like it. It feels neat and organized, "clean". I could see most of Nem's activity migrating there.
NoirSuccubus

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 01:25:49 AM

https://nxtbubble.com

Can someone make a xem version of this?
kennyP

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 06:20:32 AM

When you upgrade how do you keep the blockchain from the previous install, so you don't have to resync again, is that possible?

Where is he actual NEM blockchain in the windows file system?
NoirSuccubus

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2015, 06:27:41 AM

When you upgrade how do you keep the blockchain from the previous install, so you don't have to resync again, is that possible?

Where is he actual NEM blockchain in the windows file system?

Upgrading doesn't change the blockchain at all.

The blockchain database file is stored at
C:\Users\Yourname\nem\nis\data (nis5_mainnet.h2)

punkrock

Activity: 808
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 08:12:34 AM

Finally got my stake and now I'm trying to harvest. Do I have to leave the browser NEM client open or does it harvest if I just have it in the system tray?

The best idea is to start your own node and use "delegated harvesting". It's very simple!

Code:
##################################
# Create your own Amazon EC2 VPS #

Tutorial: http://bit.do/awsnode

# Connect to your VPS with Putty #

Tutorial: http://bit.do/puttyamazon

############################################
# Install NEM's NCC and NIS on your Ubuntu #

sudo su

sudo apt-get install unzip

wget https://github.com/jadedjack/Nem-Installers/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip

cd Nem-Installers-master/

chmod +x ./install_nem.sh
chmod +x ./ubuntu_install_nem_tools.sh

./ubuntu_install_nem_tools.sh
|
|--> create swap? yes (take some seconds...)
|--> install oracle java 8? yes (OK, YES
|--> install NTP? yes
|--> install failban2? yes
|--> install usefull programs? yes
|--> yes, yes, yes ;)

./install_nem.sh

#####################
# Start NIS nor NCC #
#####################

sudo /etc/init.d/nis start
sudo /etc/init.d/ncc start

###################
# Stop NIS or NCC #
###################

sudo /etc/init.d/nis stop
sudo /etc/init.d/ncc stop

#############################################################
# Set the maximum numbers of harvesters on your public node #

sudo nano /etc/nem/nis/config-user.properties

# Maximum number of unlocked accounts. Meaning: maximum number of accounts that are allowed to use this NIS for harvesting
# Keep the value within a reasonable range, a too large value an cause problems for all harvesting accounts.
nis.unlockedLimit = 10

# Account addresses that are allowed to use this NIS for harvesting (pipe-separated) (no spaces and  no -)
# Leave this empty, if you don't want to set any restrictions.
nis.allowedHarvesterAddresses =

# Important for Amazon's EC2 VPS with 1 GB RAM: REDUCE RAM! #

sudo nano /etc/init.d/nis

Change the line export MAXRAM=1G to MAXRAM=768M

##################
# other commands #
##################

Show up running processes in Ubuntu: htop
Get admin privileges: sudo su
Check infos about your node: http://your.public.IP:7890/node/info
samysamy1

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 10:11:00 AM

The best idea is to start your own node and use "delegated harvesting". It's very simple!

Code:
# Create your own Amazon EC2 VPS #

Tutorial: http://bit.do/awsnode

# Connect to your VPS with Putty #

Tutorial: http://bit.do/puttyamazon

# Install NEM's NCC and NIS on your Ubuntu #

sudo su

sudo apt-get install unzip

wget https://github.com/jadedjack/Nem-Installers/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip

cd Nem-Installers-master/

chmod +x ./install_nem.sh
chmod +x ./ubuntu_install_nem_tools.sh

./ubuntu_install_nem_tools.sh
|
|--> create swap? yes (take some seconds...)
|--> install oracle java 8? yes (OK, YES
|--> install NTP? yes
|--> install failban2? yes
|--> install usefull programs? yes
|--> yes, yes, yes ;)

./install_nem.sh

#####################
# Start NIS nor NCC #
#####################

sudo /etc/init.d/nis start
sudo /etc/init.d/ncc start

###################
# Stop NIS or NCC #
###################

sudo /etc/init.d/nis stop
sudo /etc/init.d/ncc stop

# Set the maximum numbers of harvesters on your public node #

sudo nano /etc/nem/nis/config-user.properties

# Maximum number of unlocked accounts. Meaning: maximum number of accounts that are allowed to use this NIS for harvesting
# Keep the value within a reasonable range, a too large value an cause problems for all harvesting accounts.
nis.unlockedLimit = 10

# Account addresses that are allowed to use this NIS for harvesting (pipe-separated) (no spaces and  no -)
# Leave this empty, if you don't want to set any restrictions.
nis.allowedHarvesterAddresses =

# Important for Amazon's EC2 VPS with 1 GB RAM: REDUCE RAM! #

sudo nano /etc/init.d/nis

Change the line export MAXRAM=1G to MAXRAM=768M

##################
# other commands #
##################

Show up running processes in Ubuntu: htop
Get admin privileges: sudo su
Check infos about your node: http://your.public.IP:7890/node/info

Not everyone is tech-savvy  Grin
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:22:51 PM

so what kind of coinage do you need to properly stake (yes i've read up but there are some contradiction, eg my client says 1000, but a tutoral says 10000 etc etc etc)?

any advantage in more coinage?

prior to staking any advantage or need in keeping the client running?
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 04:47:33 PM

Why don't you ask the webmaster (TwinWinNerD) of the site to create a NEM version? As far as I know, he has posted here on NEM thread. Probably he is already invested into NEM.

https://nxtbubble.com

Can someone make a xem version of this?
Pages: « 1 ... 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 [872] 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: