Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:53:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032123 times)
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 12:24:22 AM

I already told you that you made a good call on gold last summer, but would you really qualify it as a collapse ? It sure looks more like a correction for the moment.

As with you being one of the few to say that btc will grow more than gold, you're pushing is. BTC being such a dwarf market compared to gold, it's was obvious to many that without any real issue, btc was going to explode compared to gold.

I still think that you should rename this topic "Gold correcting, Bitcoin exploding", but I understand that we disagree on gold.

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 12:40:02 AM

I already told you that you made a good call on gold last summer, but would you really qualify it as a collapse ? It sure looks more like a correction for the moment.

As with you being one of the few to say that btc will grow more than gold, you're pushing is. BTC being such a dwarf market compared to gold, it's was obvious to many that without any real issue, btc was going to explode compared to gold.

I still think that you should rename this topic "Gold correcting, Bitcoin exploding", but I understand that we disagree on gold.

no it hasn't collapsed.  definitely should call it a correction.  but i'm still concerned.  until gold can show me it can disconnect from stocks and the USD i'm skeptical.  

its not gold or silver that i'm against; its that i see us in a deflation not an inflation.  gold doesn't make sense with everything i'm seeing and i think further QE will have an unintended effect at this point; on the economy and gold.

having said all that, the very best trade so far has been to sell gold, sell silver, and buy Bitcoin.  period.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 12:47:35 AM

its not gold or silver that i'm against; its that i see us in a deflation not an inflation.  gold doesn't make sense with everything i'm seeing and i think further QE will have an unintended effect at this point; on the economy and gold.

having said all that, the very best trade so far has been to sell gold, sell silver, and buy Bitcoin.  period.

But it is in deflation, not inflation, when gold really performs well. The real fun will be with some major bank failures, derivative explosions, Tier I status, etc.

And the 'very best trade' is surely something besides short gold long BTC.

Ran into a friend a couple days ago and we were catching up on some financial stuff. About June/July of last year him he should be short, not long, Netflix. And he should look into these bitcoin things.

Short NFLX around July with a long BTC pair around Oct. Now that would be one heck of a trade!

labestiol

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 12:57:15 AM

I agree the momentum is deflationary, and I agree that further QE will have severe unintended consequences. But further deflation will also have severe consequences.
The thing is History tells us that politicians nearly always choose inflation facing this choice, thus my opinion wrt precious metals.

Regarding PM/BTC, I won't deny that it is so far the best bet, and it will probably be long term. But I'm sure you won't deny that it is a very risky bet. Which is why I feel better having both, with a lesser fiat amount of BTC. Honestly, if I had more than 20% of my savings in BTC, i wouldn't sleep so well

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:04:22 AM

But it is in deflation, not inflation, when gold really performs well. The real fun will be with some major bank failures, derivative explosions, Tier I status, etc.

i really doubt this is the way it will play out.  if the stock mkt rolls over i bet gold/silver go with it.
why gold bugs always think that they win no matter inflation or deflation i'll never understand.

And the 'very best trade' is surely something besides short gold long BTC.

Ran into a friend a couple days ago and we were catching up on some financial stuff. About June/July of last year him he should be short, not long, Netflix. And he should look into these bitcoin things.

Short NFLX around July with a long BTC pair around Oct. Now that would be one heck of a trade!

not if you look at general categories/indices.  short gold/silver:buy Bitcoin did much better than short stocks:buy Bitcoin.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:25:47 AM

I agree the momentum is deflationary, and I agree that further QE will have severe unintended consequences. But further deflation will also have severe consequences.
The thing is History tells us that politicians nearly always choose inflation facing this choice, thus my opinion wrt precious metals.

Regarding PM/BTC, I won't deny that it is so far the best bet, and it will probably be long term. But I'm sure you won't deny that it is a very risky bet. Which is why I feel better having both, with a lesser fiat amount of BTC. Honestly, if I had more than 20% of my savings in BTC, i wouldn't sleep so well

i'm highly sensitive to trend changes; sometimes too sensitive meaning too early.

but think about it, when we first started this debate one year ago in the original gold thread, it was inconceivable that we'd be talking about Bitcoin so positively and with the confidence we do.  we're 3.5 yrs into this experiment and have weathered so many negative events and the hashrate, # tx's are just increasing.

when you say risky, i assume you mean from a gov't attack or attempt at making Bitcoin illegal.  read this guy blogdial, one of my favorites:  http://irdial.com/blogdial/  here's my favorite quote: "Bitcoin will see regulation as damage and it will route around it."

Bitcoin is a currency born from the internet.  its DNA is intimately associated with everything the internet was designed to do and that was to withstand destruction of large parts of it from a nuclear bomb.  just how many guys in suits, with sunglasses, in black vans coming to shut down your node would it take to approximate the bomb blast perimeter of a nuclear explosion that wiped out the USA?  

Bitcoin would just route around them.
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:40:39 AM

back in November at the lows of $2, almost no one around here agreed with me, except maybe tvbcof, that Bitcoin had more room to grow than gold including you. this realization of yours only came into being as we started heading up.

What what!?  Shocked

Don't make me go digging through old posts  Tongue

i really doubt this is the way it will play out.  if the stock mkt rolls over i bet gold/silver go with it.
why gold bugs always think that they win no matter inflation or deflation i'll never understand.

Paper claims might, but physical cannot go to zero. Not even close. Physical is unbelievably discounted even now.

This is coming back to the situation of real supply. It doesn't matter how many drawings of an apple you give to a starving man: only a real one will feed him. Likewise, the real economy is at a point where it cannot rely upon illusory counter party promises.

You wouldn't argue that Bitcoin will collapse because of Pirate's default. That's the same as saying that gold will collapse because bank-created representations of gold are failing to function.

Gold does win in both situations. Inflation is an immediate win due to debasement. Deflation of the magnitude we're facing means a catastrophic failure of the existing monetary system.

Either way, blind reliance upon fiat is in decline. Nothing else can provide the monetary function of gold and silver except Bitcoin. The latter is still too small to support the world, though.

Bitcoin & gold/silver - accept no substitute.
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 01:56:40 AM

*Nods sagely* Wink
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 02:10:02 AM

Gold usually underperforms in inflation and outperforms during deflation. Have you not read The Golden Constant by Jastram?

Trend wise something has to give with the current financial system and Bitcoin is Pandora's box which has now been opened.

labestiol

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 02:11:49 AM

when you say risky, i assume you mean from a gov't attack or attempt at making Bitcoin illegal.  read this guy blogdial, one of my favorites:  http://irdial.com/blogdial/  here's my favorite quote: "Bitcoin will see regulation as damage and it will route around it."

I agree that bitcoin should resist gov attacks, or attempts to make it illegal. Depends which/how much gov, but I'm confident with that. But be realistic, it would hurt the price a LOT.

Other risks I see is hacks. How confident are you that you'll NEVER get hacked ? Trust me, it's not as easy as it sounds. I have a master degree in computer science, though not an expert in security, and I know it's definitely possible. Stuxnet was a good example that any computer, connected or not to the Internet, is a reachable target.
And the higher the btc price go, the more exposed early adopters will be.

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 02:14:27 AM

*Nods sagely* Wink
you mean like this?
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 02:22:12 AM

I agree that bitcoin should resist gov attacks, or attempts to make it illegal. Depends which/how much gov, but I'm confident with that. But be realistic, it would hurt the price a LOT.

Other risks I see is hacks. How confident are you that you'll NEVER get hacked ? Trust me, it's not as easy as it sounds. I have a master degree in computer science, though not an expert in security, and I know it's definitely possible. Stuxnet was a good example that any computer, connected or not to the Internet, is a reachable target.

You can use paper wallets, etc to put your bitcoins "offline" (with the only "online" risk being a crypto-crack).

I've heard about deflationary fears, but I just don't get why there is this concern what with the QEs etc.  Is it because people are paying down mortgage debt and foreigners are hoarding USD?  What about all the govt debt?  Is there really any forecasting services that can accurately estimate how much debt people will retire?

Thx!

silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 02:36:59 AM

*Nods sagely* Wink
you mean like this?

or maybe

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:18:18 AM

back in November at the lows of $2, almost no one around here agreed with me, except maybe tvbcof, that Bitcoin had more room to grow than gold including you. this realization of yours only came into being as we started heading up.

Thx for the recognition.  It is true that I felt Bitcoin had much room to grow at that time as evidenced by my plowing much fiat into it back then.  And by my regular gum-flapping about my actions and rationals at the time.

A solution such as Bitcoin is hugely valuable, and even partial exchange-centric utilization would, by my estimates, make each BTC worth thousands current USD per.

Today we are approaching a year from those dark $2/BTC days and there has been:

- no core system exploits.
 - no change in the high quality of the core development team.
 - exciting run-ups (and downs) and a touch near halve the $32/BTC peak.

These things together make me much more confident in Bitcoin's potential than I was back in.  It is important to note (or I feel it so, at least) that I still consider Bitcoin more likely to fail than to succeed in the end.  ~labestiol mentions the sleep factor, and I think that's quite important.  I'm not ready to get even close to 20% of my savings in BTC at this point.  As I've mentioned before, success of Bitcoin means (to me) such astronomical numbers that one really does not need a huge footprint in Bitcoin to realize the potential upside in a big way.

(Of course it won't hurt my speculative investment in BTC if everyone goes all in, so, patient reader, go for it if you want...but I don't think it is a wise or necessary move.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:26:02 AM

What what!?  Shocked

Don't make me go digging through old posts  Tongue

Paper claims might, but physical cannot go to zero. Not even close. Physical is unbelievably discounted even now.

This is coming back to the situation of real supply. It doesn't matter how many drawings of an apple you give to a starving man: only a real one will feed him. Likewise, the real economy is at a point where it cannot rely upon illusory counter party promises.

You wouldn't argue that Bitcoin will collapse because of Pirate's default. That's the same as saying that gold will collapse because bank-created representations of gold are failing to function.

Gold does win in both situations. Inflation is an immediate win due to debasement. Deflation of the magnitude we're facing means a catastrophic failure of the existing monetary system.

Either way, blind reliance upon fiat is in decline. Nothing else can provide the monetary function of gold and silver except Bitcoin. The latter is still too small to support the world, though.

same 'ol arguments, same 'ol delusions.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:35:13 AM

how many Bitcoin wallets have you heard of being hacked?  private ones, not those on servers like Bitcoinica.  allinvains wallet doesn't count either as it was an open mining wallet hooked up to a pool server.

Stuxnet, as i understand, was incredibly sophisticated developed by the US gov't and required an infiltrator that installed the virus on the Iranian computer probably with a usb stick.  that won't happen to me anytime soon.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:40:32 AM

Gold usually underperforms in inflation and outperforms during deflation. Have you not read The Golden Constant by Jastram?

Trend wise something has to give with the current financial system and Bitcoin is Pandora's box which has now been opened.

the dynamics of every crisis situation will vary.  with what we face today, which is a debt deflation, i see gold failing to exceed the previous high just like the stock market.  could be wrong of course.
miscreanity
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:43:14 AM

same 'ol arguments, same 'ol delusions reality.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:45:04 AM

miscreanity
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 03:48:03 AM

I knew I should've changed my name Wink
Pages: « 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: