Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:22:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032139 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 09:48:07 PM

I wouldn't be too worried, the price of bitcoins will bounce back to silver parity pretty quick. In a couple months a 1/1 trade of bitcoins to silver will look silly because bitcoins will be so much higher.

You know, that is kind of what I thought too. It would seem to make sense that if you had a large position in silver you would want to go ahead and move part of it over to Bitcoin.

i've already done just that back in May with my silver bullion.  i'm actually thinking of selling my gold bullion as well.  risky i know.

this is the pertinent part..

glad to know you care enough about what i say to go back and check.  is there an inconsistency here?  i said i started selling silver in May 2011 at the top @ $49 with a total sell average of about $44.  and yes i sold most of my gold bullion too during August.

and you used the proceeds of that selling to buy BTC when it was 20-30 per.

Great trade!! Wink  You always forget to mention that you bought BTC at the peak with the silver proceeds when you talk about how you made such a great call to sell silver at the peak.  

I love your selective disclosure of your good trades, but failure to mention your bad ones.

silverbox, you are a troll man, sorry. Wink  i perhaps should have said it as above.  sheesh.  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 09:50:12 PM

oh btw, Gold STILL down, Bitcoin exploding!  Cheesy
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 09:53:34 PM

I wouldn't be too worried, the price of bitcoins will bounce back to silver parity pretty quick. In a couple months a 1/1 trade of bitcoins to silver will look silly because bitcoins will be so much higher.

You know, that is kind of what I thought too. It would seem to make sense that if you had a large position in silver you would want to go ahead and move part of it over to Bitcoin.

i've already done just that with my silver bullion.  i'm actually thinking of selling my gold bullion as well.  risky i know.

glad to know you care enough about what i say to go back and check.  is there an inconsistency here?  i said i started selling silver in May 2011 at the top @ $49 with a total sell average of about $44.  and yes i sold most of my gold bullion too during August.

Don't feel bad. I sold 60 ounces of silver and bought my first 1.2GH/s miner in early May 2011. It netted me about $5000 worth of bitcoins. Sold more silver and added 3GH/s. Netted me another $10k worth of bitcoins.

Then my worst move was when I sold the rest of my silver and bought bitcoins around $17 per ounce too.

But I made bank with IXC, I0C, SC, GG, and most recently Litecoin by buying a ton of them with my bitcoins.

I'm buying slowly over time...i think silver prices may go lower but the price you will pay for physical silver bullion will not go down much due to supply restrictions.

Wink

you misunderstand me.  i'm delighted i got out of silver at an avg cost of $44 when i had bought btwn $9-12.  i think it goes down further from here.

No I think I do understand you. You are bullish on bitcoins and bearing on PMs.

Nothing wrong with that.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 09:54:46 PM

i've already done just that with my silver bullion.  i'm actually thinking of selling my gold bullion as well.  risky i know.

Don't feel bad. I sold 60 ounces of silver and bought my first 1.2GH/s miner in early May 2011. It netted me about $5000 worth of bitcoins. Sold more silver and added 3GH/s. Netted me another $10k worth of bitcoins.

Then my worst move was when I sold the rest of my silver and bought bitcoins around $17 per ounce too.

But I made bank with IXC, I0C, SC, GG, and most recently Litecoin by buying a ton of them with my bitcoins.

I'm buying slowly over time...i think silver prices may go lower but the price you will pay for physical silver bullion will not go down much due to supply restrictions.

Wink

you misunderstand me.  i'm delighted i got out of silver at an avg cost of $44 when i had bought btwn $9-12.  i think it goes down further from here.

Nothing wrong with that.

careful, silverbox will start trolling the hell outta you.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 09:56:09 PM

Wink

Nothing wrong with that.

careful, silverbox will start trolling the hell outta you.

Cheesy I'm a pretty good troll myself. Gonna be hard to troll me. Been there done that all up and down this forum. Seen my ignore ticker to the left? <========================  Grin Grin Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 09:57:09 PM

oh btw, Gold STILL down, Bitcoin exploding!  Cheesy

lol.  I was just about to say:

Gold still hasn't collapsed!!

The markets haven't either!! Wink

I'm glad BTC is exploding!!  Wink
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2012, 10:01:41 PM

and yes i sold most of my gold bullion too during August.

Cry

A good rule of thumb I have heard is to keep physical gold bullion equal to monthly passive income.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:03:40 PM

Cry

A good rule of thumb I have heard is to keep physical gold bullion equal to monthly passive income.

No need to cry... he sold most of his bullion, but still has 24 ounces.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:04:15 PM

Cry

I go with the keep about the same USD of gold/silver physical as my gun/ammo collection is worth..

Its ballast for the bottom of the gun safe.

The boxes of nickels are the real hefty part of it thu..  Wink
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:17:30 PM

Cry

No need to cry... he sold most of his bullion, but still has 24 ounces.

this is true. 

sunnankar was one of my motivations to buy gold back in 2005-07.  i was hoping he had come over to the dark side with me and sold gold. Sad
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:19:31 PM

Cheesy I'm a pretty good troll myself. Gonna be hard to troll me. Been there done that all up and down this forum. Seen my ignore ticker to the left? <========================  Grin Grin Grin

getting ignored is not a sign of good trolling.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:24:11 PM

I got interested sometime at the end of 2010 or begining of 2011.  Even downloaded the source code (which is a prerequisite for most any software I'm interested in and think I may need to trust.) 

i'll assume you inspected the code.  see, this is why i am so bullish on Bitcoin as an open source project.  as arrogant as i may seem about financial stuff i fully admit i can't read code at all and rely on smarter ppl in this area such as you to protect my investments.  we're all working towards the same goals here.

Actually no.  Doing that job right would require _way_ more time and _way_ more skill than I have.  I simply did some minor porting for the platform I prefer for secure work.  I also rely heavily on smarter people to do the heavy lifting.  And as I've mentioned before, Bitcoin is interesting enough on enough levels that it gets more than it's share of critical analysis.  Or at least did at one time.

The main reason I wanted the source code was so that I could pick and choose when to compile a snapshot and so that I could adopt whatever patches I felt an inclination to adopt.  When I'm in the mood I do follow the commits and peruse the deltas.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:29:32 PM

I got interested sometime at the end of 2010 or begining of 2011.  Even downloaded the source code (which is a prerequisite for most any software I'm interested in and think I may need to trust.) 

i'll assume you inspected the code.  see, this is why i am so bullish on Bitcoin as an open source project.  as arrogant as i may seem about financial stuff i fully admit i can't read code at all and rely on smarter ppl in this area such as you to protect my investments.  we're all working towards the same goals here.

Actually no.  Doing that job right would require _way_ more time and _way_ more skill than I have.  I simply did some minor porting for the platform I prefer for secure work.  I also rely heavily on smarter people to do the heavy lifting.  And as I've mentioned before, Bitcoin is interesting enough on enough levels that it gets more than it's share of critical analysis.  Or at least did at one time.

The main reason I wanted the source code was so that I could pick and choose when to compile a snapshot and so that I could adopt whatever patches I felt an inclination to adopt.  When I'm in the mood I do follow the commits and peruse the deltas.

i've heard the code is extraordinarily complex from some of the devs.  etotheipi's diagrammatic deconstruct was incredibly intricate not to mention indecipherable. 

offhand, who do you think wrote it?  an individual or organization?  doesn't seem like an individual could have all those talents in math, economics, and coding combined to write such a masterpiece.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:30:00 PM

Cheesy I'm a pretty good troll myself. Gonna be hard to troll me. Been there done that all up and down this forum. Seen my ignore ticker to the left? <========================  Grin Grin Grin

Says the person who gets trolled and then hits the ignore button because they have nothing else to say.  Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 11:03:46 PM

offhand, who do you think wrote it?  an individual or organization?  doesn't seem like an individual could have all those talents in math, economics, and coding combined to write such a masterpiece.
Wasn't the identify of Mr. Bitcoin revealed already?  Cheesy
http://bitcoinmedia.com/good-wife-episode-review/
Are they busy programming for the next rover heading to Mars? Oh no, that's sooo boring.

labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 11:22:42 PM

oh btw, Gold STILL down, Bitcoin exploding!  Cheesy

That would be a more accurate description compared to "Gold collapsing, bitcoin up". IMO the best description would be "Gold correcting, bitcoin exploding". But yeah i know, you disagree (and anyway it's too early to really know)
At least we both agree and enjoy seeing bitcoin slowly approaching fair value Smiley

btw what would be your bet on US election ? and what would it do to markets ?

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 11:36:55 PM

oh btw, Gold STILL down, Bitcoin exploding!  Cheesy

That would be a more accurate description compared to "Gold collapsing, bitcoin up". IMO the best description would be "Gold correcting, bitcoin exploding". But yeah i know, you disagree (and anyway it's too early to really know)
At least we both agree and enjoy seeing bitcoin slowly approaching fair value Smiley

btw what would be your bet on US election ? and what would it do to markets ?

Prediction ----> next 5 months = VOLATILITY

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 02:09:14 AM

i've heard the code is extraordinarily complex from some of the devs.  etotheipi's diagrammatic deconstruct was incredibly intricate not to mention indecipherable. 

I suspect that the scripting engine is one of the more complex bits by it's nature, but such an idea is nothing new in computer science.  From what I understand the whole system is neither terribly complex by many measures nor especially well written originally, and the author(s) leveraged much of the more challenging cryptographic implementations from the open source community (as they should.)  Furthermore, much of the basic ideas of Bitcoin originated a decade and a half or more out of (or describe within) the cypherpunks community which someone pointed out on some thread here some months ago.

Of course I don't know who wrote it.  My guesstimate is that it was one person who was multi-talented and quite bright, but I see nothing so special that it would take a team of people or anything like that.  I don't mean to belittle his (or her or their) work in my above statements since at the end of the day he/she/they actually _did_ it and got it out there and here we are today.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 02:10:50 AM

I suspect that the scripting engine is one of the more complex bits by it's nature, but such an idea is nothing new in computer science.  From what I understand the whole system is neither terribly complex by many measures nor especially well written originally, and the author(s) leveraged much of the more challenging cryptographic implementations from the open source community (as they should.)  Furthermore, much of the basic ideas of Bitcoin originated a decade and a half or more out of (or describe within) the cypherpunks community which someone pointed out on some thread here some months ago.

Of course I don't know who wrote it.  My guesstimate is that it was one person who was multi-talented and quite bright, but I see nothing so special that it would take a team of people or anything like that.  I don't mean to belittle his (or her or their) work in my above statements since at the end of the day he/she/they actually _did_ it and got it out there and here we are today.

+1 I read through the source. Not Microsoft level coding....but it is very innovative.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:39:47 AM

Says the person who gets trolled and then hits the ignore button because they have nothing else to say.  Cheesy

Nice try.

Obviously I also hit the un-ignore button... don't know wether I should regret it already Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: