Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:47:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382133 times)
Blazin8888

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 07:04:23 AM

Will there be a Sia Android app for my phone?

My new NOTE 5 does not have an SD card slot...Samsung has phased them out. Can we have unlimited storage on our phones with a Sia app?
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TrippyPippy

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 09:23:51 AM

Hi,

I am using siac miner start 4 to start CPU mining on 4 threads but the miner does not show as started when I use siac miner status.

When I use siac miner start the miner status shows that it started but only on 1 thread.

What am I doing wrong ?

Regards
DreamSpace

Activity: 556

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 11:08:28 AM

Hi,

I am using siac miner start 4 to start CPU mining on 4 threads but the miner does not show as started when I use siac miner status.

When I use siac miner start the miner status shows that it started but only on 1 thread.

What am I doing wrong ?

Regards

sorry have no idea, but it is pretty senseless to solo mine with cpu, this coin needs a pool and it needs it fast.
tricass

Activity: 394
Merit: 250

Crypto enthusiast

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 12:32:12 PM

I'm trying to understand value propositions for exactly what Sia is, at this point.

Does anyone have any ideas of what we have here?

What makes this have value?

Sia is valuable because it offers a decentralized way to do storage. On the current network, that value is rather low b/c you can only upload one file at a time and there is a 500mb limit to what can be uploaded. The next client will be much more powerful, the file size limit will be removed (or at least bumped to multiple GB) and there's a good chance that you can choose to upload entire folders instead of just one file at a time.

We do believe that in the long run, storage on Sia will be substantially cheaper than the current cloud storage platforms (Amazon, etc.), which is very attractive to enterprise customers. Enterprise customers will need siacoins to rent storage, this will create a baseline demand for the coin.

What I am not real clear on is when storage is used by a customer, is that persons data stored entirely on just the one PC in which you have a contract on? or is it dispersed around the network in bits and pieces across many storage units. I would think some form of the latter?

Ya I know, I need to read up and do more homework lol, but a quick answer is always nice Smiley

On the current network, the full file is uploaded to 8 different hosts. The hosts are selected randomly, but cheaper hosts are more likely to be chosen. I forget the exact algorithm, but someone who is 1/2 the price is ~8x as likely to be chosen. If you are a host and you are more expensive than everyone else by a significant amount, you will never be chosen for storage. If you are significantly cheaper than everyone else, you will be chosen pretty much every time, and your storage will fill up much faster.

The optimal price is the price where your storage fills up at the same rate as contracts expire. You make it cheap enough that you are pretty much always nearly sold out, but expensive enough that you are making money on every contract.

Right now, there's not enough upload demand to fill pretty much anybody's hard drive. It's difficult to upload more than a few files, people don't want to spend their siacoins, the filesize cap isn't that high, and the network doesn't have any sort of a proven track record. We hope to address a handful of these in the next major version (v0.4.0) in the next 6-8 weeks.

BEFORE I INVEST QUESTIONS:

1. Can I share my files with other Sia users or post them up like torrents?

2. Is there a a torrent system where people can get paid for seeding?

3. Are there any other coins working right now that allow me to do what Sia Coin does?

4. What does Sia stand for?

5. What makes Sia different from Storj?
I would invest now ask later   Grin

A lot of what you ask has been answered in this in this thread if you care to read.

As far as uploading shared files for downloading, there is this: https://staging.siafiles.com/#/browse/ However I think with the new version release the files that were on sunfish are gone.

Not really sure what SIA stands for if anything.

SECURE INTERNATIONAL ARRAY

no idea if that makes sense lol.

how about - secure(d) information array

Blazin8888

Activity: 672

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 03:21:03 PM

I'm trying to understand value propositions for exactly what Sia is, at this point.

Does anyone have any ideas of what we have here?

What makes this have value?

Sia is valuable because it offers a decentralized way to do storage. On the current network, that value is rather low b/c you can only upload one file at a time and there is a 500mb limit to what can be uploaded. The next client will be much more powerful, the file size limit will be removed (or at least bumped to multiple GB) and there's a good chance that you can choose to upload entire folders instead of just one file at a time.

We do believe that in the long run, storage on Sia will be substantially cheaper than the current cloud storage platforms (Amazon, etc.), which is very attractive to enterprise customers. Enterprise customers will need siacoins to rent storage, this will create a baseline demand for the coin.

What I am not real clear on is when storage is used by a customer, is that persons data stored entirely on just the one PC in which you have a contract on? or is it dispersed around the network in bits and pieces across many storage units. I would think some form of the latter?

Ya I know, I need to read up and do more homework lol, but a quick answer is always nice Smiley

On the current network, the full file is uploaded to 8 different hosts. The hosts are selected randomly, but cheaper hosts are more likely to be chosen. I forget the exact algorithm, but someone who is 1/2 the price is ~8x as likely to be chosen. If you are a host and you are more expensive than everyone else by a significant amount, you will never be chosen for storage. If you are significantly cheaper than everyone else, you will be chosen pretty much every time, and your storage will fill up much faster.

The optimal price is the price where your storage fills up at the same rate as contracts expire. You make it cheap enough that you are pretty much always nearly sold out, but expensive enough that you are making money on every contract.

Right now, there's not enough upload demand to fill pretty much anybody's hard drive. It's difficult to upload more than a few files, people don't want to spend their siacoins, the filesize cap isn't that high, and the network doesn't have any sort of a proven track record. We hope to address a handful of these in the next major version (v0.4.0) in the next 6-8 weeks.

3. Are there any other coins working right now that allow me to do what Sia Coin does?

I would invest now ask later   Grin

A lot of what you ask has been answered in this in this thread if you care to read.

As far as uploading shared files for downloading, there is this: https://staging.siafiles.com/#/browse/ However I think with the new version release the files that were on sunfish are gone.

Not really sure what SIA stands for if anything.

SECURE INTERNATIONAL ARRAY

no idea if that makes sense lol.

how about - secure(d) information array

I like that name. 

THE TIME IS RIPE FOR SIA:

https://youtu.be/uwoGyXdmPKg
bones

Activity: 248

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 05:39:25 PM

Anyone able to help please?
I have installed the GUI clent.
Copied my passphrase, could not close the box showng me the passphrase so had to close the GUI.
Upon re openng the GUI, my wallet is locked.  The passphrase  recorded does not unlock it.

I have deleted all files and started over with the same issue.
What am i doing wrong?
MinermanNC
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 05:47:27 PM

Anyone able to help please?
I have installed the GUI clent.
Copied my passphrase, could not close the box showng me the passphrase so had to close the GUI.
Upon re openng the GUI, my wallet is locked.  The passphrase  recorded does not unlock it.

I have deleted all files and started over with the same issue.
What am i doing wrong?
Don't panic, most of us are having that same problem. Taek Is working on a fix for getting the password to display properly when first opening SIA. I am waiting for the release with fix as well.  Smiley

*BTC: 1DiR25SPo84sThzTATr27EZEQZLt6hv6tG
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 05:55:04 PM

Wow that definitely lends a lot of support for decentralized storage.

Good vid post  Wink

https://youtu.be/uwoGyXdmPKg

Pito001

Activity: 301

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 06:06:11 PM

Ok, so I deleted everything except the wallet files. Let it sync and now I have 2568971.37 SC again when I unlocked my wallet. Still 5M SC short...
I'll wait a few more blocks as suggested and restart the wallet completely. I'll know more in a few hours.

edit: I'm now at block 16275 (for future ref.)

Have shut down the wallet (reboot comp) for over 8 hours. Restarted sia gui 0.4.1 just now. Still a balance of only 2568971.37 S and should be 7568971.37 S

I tried everything I can think of and haven't deleted any wallet files in the process. Still there's 5M SC missing from my wallet.  Undecided

I'm still out 5.000.000SC or half my total balance after a single deposit to poloniex. All suggested fixes didn't work.

kept original wallet files, restarted, resync, wait a few blocks, unlock, restart,... (tried in different order)

BUY CRYPTO AT REASONABLE RATES
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
bones

Activity: 248

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 06:11:02 PM

So i do not need a open wallet to mine then?
Dont seem able to do alot wth the GUI  wth the wallet locked.
thanks
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 07:07:11 PM

So i do not need a open wallet to mine then?
Dont seem able to do alot wth the GUI  wth the wallet locked.
thanks

Make sure you are killing the process SIAD in you task manager. But the wallet really is useless without the password. As far as mining I am still mining on 0.3.3.3 as far as I know it still useable in everyway until we get fixed 0.4.1 released from Taek.

MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 07:10:22 PM

Ok, so I deleted everything except the wallet files. Let it sync and now I have 2568971.37 SC again when I unlocked my wallet. Still 5M SC short...
I'll wait a few more blocks as suggested and restart the wallet completely. I'll know more in a few hours.

Have shut down the wallet (reboot comp) for over 8 hours. Restarted sia gui 0.4.1 just now. Still a balance of only 2568971.37 S and should be 7568971.37 S

I tried everything I can think of and haven't deleted any wallet files in the process. Still there's 5M SC missing from my wallet.  Undecided

I'm still out 5.000.000SC or half my total balance after a single deposit to poloniex. All suggested fixes didn't work.

kept original wallet files, restarted, resync, wait a few blocks, unlock, restart,... (tried in different order)
So did you actually send 5 million coins to Poloniex, and from which wallet version...and then they never appeared? I'm a little confused. And you were able to get a password to work for 0.4.1 as well? I know I have had no luck with it.

EDIT: and have you checked for that 5M transfer in the block explorer?

Pito001

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 07:43:00 PM

I tried everything I can think of and haven't deleted any wallet files in the process. Still there's 5M SC missing from my wallet.  Undecided

So did you actually send 5 million coins to Poloniex, and from which wallet version...and then they never appeared? I'm a little confused. And you were able to get a password to work for 0.4.1 as well? I know I have had no luck with it.

EDIT: and have you checked for that 5M transfer in the block explorer?

I didn't send 5M, that's just it.

Balance was about 10M, sent 2.5 to poloniex. Just once. Left the wallet running unlocked. Few hours later checked my balance and only had 2.5. So I lost 5.
All happened after I ('successfully') transfered my balance wallet from 0.3.3 to 0.4.1 At first I had my full balance of a little more than 10M.

Even waited for 0.4.1 GUI to transfer my SC because Teak warned about a bug transferring to 0.4.0 CLI

edit: The wallet again 217f8b8bd4789be41beeffb6e70f0e701723df5bf5d53810122af4bd4fef815b4243d9b31fd5

▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
Taek (OP)

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 08:41:41 PM

I've got coins in a wallet.dat from the initial version back in June - v0.3.3.1

How do I safely get those coins into the latest version? I see reports that others have lost coins updating to the new version so I don't want to make a mistake

You should import the wallet using the 'import legacy wallet' button in the GUI. After you import the legacy wallet, you will need to restart 'siad'. Please don't open any version of the software older than 0.3.3.3.

The GUI for OSX isn't working. I've let it sit for hours wondering if it's supposed to be loading the blockchain.

Errors came up first time I opened the GUI.

I made a mistake packaging the binary. The fix will be ready soon, we are cleaning up a few other mistakes as well before putting out 0.4.2.

1. Yes. siafiles.com is a site to help facilitate this. A lot of the infrastructure for sharing is still under construction.

2. Not yet, but such a system is planned, and can easily be integrated with the existing protocol. No hardforks or softforks will be needed, just fancier client software.

3. I don't think so. Storj is still in development. They have been rewarding people for offering storage to the network, but do not have downloads working yet.

4. Sia stands for highly efficient free market decentralized cloud storage.  Smiley

5. The biggest thing is that the Sia protocol has launched, while the storj protocol is still in test-group-B (from what I last remember). Fundamentally, the goals of the two projects are very similar. Sia has a strong long-term enterprise focus.

I tried everything I can think of and haven't deleted any wallet files in the process. Still there's 5M SC missing from my wallet.  Undecided

I am still working with Pito001 via PM to figure out where the coins went. At this point we're not sure what address they are in, but by using the block explorer and the client's transaction history, we should at least be able to figure that out. Once we know what address the coins have landed in, we can continue to narrow things down.
Pito001

View Profile
September 09, 2015, 09:34:33 PM

I am still working with Pito001 via PM to figure out where the coins went. At this point we're not sure what address they are in, but by using the block explorer and the client's transaction history, we should at least be able to figure that out. Once we know what address the coins have landed in, we can continue to narrow things down.

True. Very helpful dev.
Working on a solution. Will post updates as it goes. Thanks!

▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
xibeijan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 08:42:24 AM

When are siafund holders going to be able to

1. see their siafunds in the gui
   2. be able to transfer their siafunds
   3. be able to obtain the Sia collected by their siafunds

So far the devs have continued to push this off.

You would think that the devs would be more appreciative to their initial investors and try to provide these basic promised features to them.

Could we please get an update and an ETA on when these features will be released?

Apologies if it's already done, but I think not.

Notable projects 2019: Semux, Dero, Wagerr, BEAM
SpeedDemon13

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2015, 08:58:51 AM

Hey Taek, you ever consider doing a cross project/platform with Burstcoin/PoC?

CRYPTSY exchange: https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=9017 BURST= BURST-TE3W-CFGH-7343-6VM6R BTC=1CNsqGUR9YJNrhydQZnUPbaDv6h4uaYCHv ETH=0x144bc9fe471d3c71d8e09d58060d78661b1d4f32 SHF=0x13a0a2cb0d55eca975cf2d97015f7d580ce52d85 EXP=0xd71921dca837e415a58ca0d6dd2223cc84e0ea2f SC=6bdf9d12a983fed6723abad91a39be4f95d227f9bdb0490de3b8e5d45357f63d564638b1bd71 CLAMS=xGVTdM9EJpNBCYAjHFVxuZGcqvoL22nP6f SOIL=0x8b5c989bc931c0769a50ecaf9ffe490c67cb5911
100rage

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 09:08:33 AM

When can we expect release that allows us to SAFELY/USER FRIENDLY  manage the sianotes ?  Smiley
Zoff

Activity: 124
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 01:30:18 PM

Why not worked http://explore.siacoin.com/ ?
MinermanNC
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 02:07:38 PM

When are siafund holders going to be able to

1. see their siafunds in the gui
   2. be able to transfer their siafunds
   3. be able to obtain the Sia collected by their siafunds

So far the devs have continued to push this off.

You would think that the devs would be more appreciative to their initial investors and try to provide these basic promised features to them.

Could we please get an update and an ETA on when these features will be released?

Apologies if it's already done, but I think not.
I'm sure its a matter of getting the horse before the cart, the cart being the SIA funds and their holders. The horse being the working user friendly wallet. Without a fully functioning SIA wallet and user participation, the the SIA funds are pretty much worthless. All in due time.

They have to get the wallet straight, which I have no doubt the devs will do just that. the SIA funds are there and will be the main beneficiaries for that success.

Pages: « 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: