Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:43:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:19:35 PM

I changed the original heatsink/cooler as it was damaged during transit (the flat copper base was no longer flat), but even with the new heatsink temps still reach 86.

Is the heatspreader of the chip still flat? If the cooler was actually damaged while mounted, its reasonable to assume the flimsy alu heatspreader got dented or slightly bent too. Its even possible the heatspreader is no longer making proper contact with (all) the dies. I once had that with an AMD CPU, no matter what cooler I put on it, it would overheat, badly. removing the alu heatspreader solved that. Not sure Id be so brave with such an expensive miner where there are 4 seperate dies under the heatspreader, but I wouldnt mind seeing the pics if you decide to try Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ASIC-K

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Hell?

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:26:35 PM

Avenger, you have been attacking everyone for weeks now. grow the fuck up and move on. Quit your bitching and go somewhere else if you are having so many issues with people on this forum. Grow some balls, quit being a little whiny bitch and move the fuck on.
Actually, any time I criticise knc, people attack me and I defend myself. That is how it goes. I have not attacked anyone at random. I have not said anything critical to anyone who hasn't had a go at me first.

I think you should tell people like Phoenix to grow some balls, rather than sit by while he has a go at each person who says anything even slightly critical of knc. Or that has an expericence different from his privileged experience, i.e. special treatment, free boards. Man, if I got free boards, I'd only say positive things too. But as it is, I got defective boards and nothing from knc to help me fix the issues without it costing me a fortune.

I don't need to be told what to do by some gimp who didn't even have the forethought to rehearse plugging in a device and finding the IP to see that he could do it. And then he acts like his idiot behaviour is somehow testiment to how brilliant and how clever he is  Shocked

I've been defending myself and it's all in response to people's digs at me. For example, I haven't attacked you or said anything to you asic-k and look at you taking shots at me and telling me what to do. Who do you think you are? If a mod tells me to tone down my language or something, I'll do it. But it's none of your business - or anyone else - to tell me what to do. I will share my expereince of knc and their hardware in the knc thread as long and as often as I like. So suck on that.

N.B. You want an example? I made this post the other day, which was making the point that knc have NEVER met any delivery deadlines etc.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.msg3842346#msg3842346

I did not attack any forum member.

Two posts later, RickJamesBTC take a pot-shot at me. I set him straight.

A few posts after that, Phoenix takes a pot-shot and makes out I'm the only person who got defective hardware from knc. Which is of course a lie, so I set him straight.

About a page after that, Cyper takes a pot-shot saying I never ordered from knc. I called him an arsehole in response.

So you tell me - who started attacking who here? And who is defending themselves?

Avenger, i apologize for attacking you like that sorry it was uncalled for and you are right. You have never said anything bad to me either. I am just getting frustrated as everything I log in it's all I see. Orama was a pretty obvious knc shill albeit a very helpful one. Phoenix tho isn't but just a die hard knc cheerleader, maybe that got him some preferential treatment but honestly big deal. This company is new and plays favourites plus people (such as myself) are bending over backwards to get their products so they have the power. Ah well. It's just tiring.  
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:30:06 PM

Avenger, you have been attacking everyone for weeks now. grow the fuck up and move on. Quit your bitching and go somewhere else if you are having so many issues with people on this forum. Grow some balls, quit being a little whiny bitch and move the fuck on.
Actually, any time I criticise knc, people attack me and I defend myself. That is how it goes. I have not attacked anyone at random. I have not said anything critical to anyone who hasn't had a go at me first.

I think you should tell people like Phoenix to grow some balls, rather than sit by while he has a go at each person who says anything even slightly critical of knc. Or that has an expericence different from his privileged experience, i.e. special treatment, free boards. Man, if I got free boards, I'd only say positive things too. But as it is, I got defective boards and nothing from knc to help me fix the issues without it costing me a fortune.

I don't need to be told what to do by some gimp who didn't even have the forethought to rehearse plugging in a device and finding the IP to see that he could do it. And then he acts like his idiot behaviour is somehow testiment to how brilliant and how clever he is  Shocked

I've been defending myself and it's all in response to people's digs at me. For example, I haven't attacked you or said anything to you asic-k and look at you taking shots at me and telling me what to do. Who do you think you are? If a mod tells me to tone down my language or something, I'll do it. But it's none of your business - or anyone else - to tell me what to do. I will share my expereince of knc and their hardware in the knc thread as long and as often as I like. So suck on that.

N.B. You want an example? I made this post the other day, which was making the point that knc have NEVER met any delivery deadlines etc.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.msg3842346#msg3842346

I did not attack any forum member.

Two posts later, RickJamesBTC take a pot-shot at me. I set him straight.

A few posts after that, Phoenix takes a pot-shot and makes out I'm the only person who got defective hardware from knc. Which is of course a lie, so I set him straight.

About a page after that, Cyper takes a pot-shot saying I never ordered from knc. I called him an arsehole in response.

So you tell me - who started attacking who here? And who is defending themselves?

Avenger, i apologize for attacking you like that sorry it was uncalled for and you are right. You have never said anything bad to me either. I am just getting frustrated as everything I log in it's all I see. Orama was a pretty obvious knc shill albeit a very helpful one. Phoenix tho isn't but just a die hard knc cheerleader, maybe that got him some preferential treatment but honestly big deal. This company is new and plays favourites plus people (such as myself) are bending over backwards to get their products so they have the power. Ah well. It's just tiring.  

You're totally wrong. I was never a 'shill'.

I went to Stockholm originally totally under my own steam to determine whether I would part with cash myself. Liked what I saw enquired if there was any future engineering I could participate in.

They asked me to handle tech communications. I said I would not be involved on a professional level with them unless they deliver on their promises with a working mining device.

That's all there is to it, and all there has ever been. End of.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
rolling

Activity: 824
Merit: 712

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:30:19 PM

After I added the additional side fan to the "hot as the surface of the sun" die now it is getting adequately cooled, but the fan is just standing there not secured in any way and I can't even put the lid on.

https://i.imgur.com/EVURj5e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4Hn0sx8.jpg

Some of the spacers between the aluminum bar and the board prevent the heatsink from making good contact with the chip.  If you twist the heat sink from the top and it moves easily, then it is too loose.  I had to remove the spacers on a couple of boards that were hot.  Just make sure you don't over-tighten the screws once the spacers are removed.
The Avenger

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:41:48 PM

I appeciate the apology asic-k. You are one of the very few people on here who has had the backbone to offer one when they realised they were being unfair.

In the past 17 days I've made only 37 posts in this thread - about 2 per day. So the noise is not me. Maybe it's more noticeable because I don't mince my words, but I don't have that much time for this forum, I have other things to do.

There are certain other people - it might be easy enough to guess who - that have made 100's + 100's of posts in the same period of time. They are a drain on everyone with their constant wittering, fight picking and it certainly is tiring.

"I am not The Avenger"
1AthxGvreWbkmtTXed6EQfjXMXXdSG7dD6
ASIC-K

Hell?

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:42:38 PM

You're right. Shill is the wrong word ( and kind if offensive too) heavy supporter maybe... And I also should have put "from my perspective". I hope you can see it from my point of view. No offence meant orama
ASIC-K

Hell?

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:46:57 PM

Avenger, trust me I'm still pissed at them for the whole upgrade fiasco but I just got tired of complaining. Lol. You seem like a decent guy who got burned and I have been in the same spot. It's the morning and didn't have my coffee. Guess I was just cranky. Lol
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:49:21 PM

You're right. Shill is the wrong word ( and kind if offensive too) heavy supporter maybe... And I also should have put "from my perspective". I hope you can see it from my point of view. No offence meant orama

No worries. There really isn't anything underhand going on. Simply I liked the bunch of guys, and what I saw. They are very competent engineers. That's no longer questionable. I've been fair to every company and using common sense called out questionable behaviour. I've been right about every red flag I've seen.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
jelin1984
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:51:55 PM

BTC PRICE IS CRASHED DOWN   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 05:52:27 PM

so much drama! Grin

KGBSlim

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CoinSlingin

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:08:27 PM

so much drama! Grin
I know, seriously why dont 1 of you start a 'KnC groupies and haters' thread?

Tips - 16AbA3b2GRR37t6RasVJmoxXTGuGUE1PAP
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:23:32 PM

Cyper, I don't think blowing across the unit will make a big difference if you close the case. Right now you are bringing fresh air onto that board. Why don't you just strap that fan onto the heatsink on the open side working with the other fan, or switch the location of that board to one of the front slots where they get cold air from the big fans on the front. Otherwise, you could always cut a big hole on the side of the case and mount it properly.

Avenger, I didn't notice you set me straight, all I saw was some lame ad-hominem attack from a sad little boy and didn't need to respond to it. From reading your posts i honestly pity you, it must be hard to live your angry life... You probably need to go outside more, get some fresh air and sunlight.

Bitcoinorama! Good to see you again. Any idea when tuning software will arrive for November units?
xstr8guy

Activity: 784

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:38:53 PM

Cyper, I don't think blowing across the unit will make a big difference if you close the case. Right now you are bringing fresh air onto that board. Why don't you just strap that fan onto the heatsink on the open side working with the other fan, or switch the location of that board to one of the front slots where they get cold air from the big fans on the front. Otherwise, you could always cut a big hole on the side of the case and mount it properly.

Avenger, I didn't notice you set me straight, all I saw was some lame ad-hominem attack from a sad little boy and didn't need to respond to it. From reading your posts i honestly pity you, it must be hard to live your angry life... You probably need to go outside more, get some fresh air and sunlight.

Bitcoinorama! Good to see you again. Any idea when tuning software will arrive for November units?

I attached exhaust fans to the front grill on the inside of my case.  I just wired them up to the grill. It really helps to quickly pull the hot air out of the case. I can't understand why KNC didn't do that in the first place.  All PCs use a push-pull configuration for air circulation.  So why not do the same for an equally hot ASIC miner?
Anenome5

Activity: 252

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 07:50:35 PM

I attached exhaust fans to the front grill on the inside of my case.  I just wired them up to the grill. It really helps to quickly pull the hot air out of the case. I can't understand why KNC didn't do that in the first place.  All PCs use a push-pull configuration for air circulation.  So why not do the same for an equally hot ASIC miner?
I should think the hash-unit fans create enough positive air pressure. Do you mean you put fans on the back of the unit to pull air out? The front already has fans and it's the input, not output...

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
RickJamesBTC

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:00:13 PM

They come with six fans blowing from the front of the case out the very open back, it seems like plenty of cooling to me. They shouldn't need more fans in the back. Not having the case on the miner would disrupt the intended airflow from front to back and probably make cooling worse, unless ambient air temp was very cold (like with mine, still no difference in hashrate). The front units are cooler, the back ones get the hot air from the front and don't get as cool. You could add more fresh air by putting a fan on the side of the case, blowing in front of each rear unit, or divert the hot air around them better.  First I'd take the hot one with a problem and move it up front.
xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:23:21 PM

I should think the hash-unit fans create enough positive air pressure. Do you mean you put fans on the back of the unit to pull air out? The front already has fans and it's the input, not output...

To me, the back of the case is where the cords come out... pretty much like everything else that we plug in.  Wink 

The back fans pull cool air in and the heat sink fans push that air through the fins of the heatsink. By the time the air has traveled though the fins it's hot and the velocity has slowed way down.  The logical thing to do is try to exhaust that hot air as quickly as possible before it has time to recirculate through the case again, hence the front exhaust fans.
RickJamesBTC

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:27:02 PM

Front side has the pretty blinking lights. Either way, it's a lot of air moving that direction. To overpower it, you would need to install two more large fans on the back. If you are actually having a cooling problem, give it a try.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2013, 08:32:50 PM

so much drama! Grin
I know, seriously why dont 1 of you start a 'KnC groupies and haters' thread?

sometimes (but not very often) you get in this thread usefull information if you have KnC devices.

xstr8guy

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:36:51 PM

Front side has the pretty blinking lights. Either way, it's a lot of air moving that direction. To overpower it, you would need to install two more large fans on the back. If you are actually having a cooling problem, give it a try.

Strange, the back of my case has the blinky lights.   Grin

I didn't get instructions to which end was the front and back.  It's all relative.  I've positioned my miner with the air intake side towards the back of the room.  The exhaust side blows the hot air out in to the room.  Apparently everyone is doing the opposite.

But it should be obvious by my previous explanations that I have NOT doubled up the fans on the intake side or "front" of the case.  I merely placed fans in the case where there were none... the exhaust side or "back" of the case.
CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 08:37:49 PM

Hey Cypher... You can actually lower the cooling tower fan, the top of the plastic holder case will easily slide in between the fins, and it will cool dramatically better.....  the lower you put it, the better it will cool
I remember reading about this trick before in this thread. I will try next time I move them.

Is the heatspreader of the chip still flat? If the cooler was actually damaged while mounted, its reasonable to assume the flimsy alu heatspreader got dented or slightly bent too. Its even possible the heatspreader is no longer making proper contact with (all) the dies. I once had that with an AMD CPU, no matter what cooler I put on it, it would overheat, badly. removing the alu heatspreader solved that. Not sure Id be so brave with such an expensive miner where there are 4 seperate dies under the heatspreader, but I wouldnt mind seeing the pics if you decide to try Smiley

The top of the ASIC chip looks completely flat with no damage. It was the heatsink base that was damaged as each pipe was on a slighty different level, so the total surface wasn't flat.
I changed it with a brand new heatsink and temps didn't improve, but I think the problem might be the spacers as suggested below.

Some of the spacers between the aluminum bar and the board prevent the heatsink from making good contact with the chip.  If you twist the heat sink from the top and it moves easily, then it is too loose.  I had to remove the spacers on a couple of boards that were hot.  Just make sure you don't over-tighten the screws once the spacers are removed.
When I twist it it moves but for a different reason: the screws that go through the custom made plank and the original plank are smaller than the holes, so there is a slight horizontal wobble.
Next time I switch it off I will remove the spacer or put shorter ones (plastic ones that came with the heatsink).

Exactly. If I close the case the back of the side fan will be next to the inside of the aluminium panel, so not enough room to gasp for fresh air.
Do you mean to create a push pull configuration?
From what I see the chip heatspeader doesn't get adequately cooled - probably because of poor contact with the heatsink base or maybe it is way too hot.
I will try all the tricks mentioned here and report back.

Pages: « 1 ... 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 [1269] 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: