Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:39:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience 2Pac/Compac BM1384 Stickminer Official Support Thread  (Read 177021 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (1 post by 1+ user deleted.)
zac123

Activity: 114
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:30:40 PM

=================
=How to Run=
=================

Run syntax:

*nix [if not root level privileges, see Q&A]
./cgminer -o stratum+tcp://pool.ckpool.org:3333 -u 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr -p x --suggest-diff 32

Windows
cgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://pool.ckpool.org:3333 -u 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr -p x --suggest-diff 32

OS X
cgminer -o stratum+tcp://pool.ckpool.org:3333 -u 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr -p x --suggest-diff 32

-- snip --

===============
=Basic Q&A / Troubleshooting=
===============

Q. How can I set a different frequency for the 2Pac vs the Compac?

cgminer will accept one or both parameters for the stick.
--gekko-compac-freq 200 --gekko-2pac-freq 150

Note how, in the run syntax, it gives you a sample command line to start. You edit this with your own pool configs. Note also the --suggest-diff parameter. Then note that setting frequency is --gekko-2pac-freq; does it look a bit familiar? Try adding that to your command line but change the number.

And if it still doesn't work, go read a tutorial on command line interface and try again.

Like I've been saying for over a year now, the answer to just almost every question ever asked in this thread is "read the first post".

ahh ok i see thanks. so the freq setting becomes part of the cmd line that starts up the miner. its not located somewhere in a file that is referenced by the miner.

thank you for the explanation. this has given me something to play around with.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
emmiitbrown

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 02:22:44 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2018, 07:07:27 PM by emmiitbrown

My Mining Rig:

ORICO USB 2.0 7-port hub
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA1DS5528295
^
_edit_ One of these hubs literally went out on me the day after this post. The voltage regulator went out and almost lost one of my miners. Total run time aprox 4 months @ about 1.5v / 200Mhz.

Finally showing my first return. BTC
-----------------------------------
The ORICO hub is only good for 2A which will support the miners up to about 225Mhz. Currently I run @ 200Mhz for better up-time. [Correction] 6' o'clock position is about 1.5V. Tuning each stick to .695 volts is about the best for a 2A USB hub.

Some things upon reflection:

*Hourly reset of Raspberry seems to work out the “frozen kernel” issues.
( sudo shutdown -r now ) *crontab for root user*

*A startup script to kick off a separate terminal window for the Miner.  Roll Eyes
\/\/\/\/\/\/
lxterminal -t Mining -e bash -c './cgminer -o stratum+tcp://mmpool.org:3333 -u User -p abcd --gekko-2pac-freq 200 --verbose --widescreen'
^^^^^^
#The above command starts the terminal, names it and initiates command.

Currently working on a way to power cycle the devices instead of physically replugging them.

If your miners are each tuned to supply enough power for a specific frequency you can run for months before needing to change anything.
-edit- ^
Except now buying a new USB hub. The above ORICO hub is half the cost but not if you include the cost of a new miner.
zac123

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:28:41 AM

=================
=How to Run=
=================

Run syntax:

*nix [if not root level privileges, see Q&A]
./cgminer -o stratum+tcp://pool.ckpool.org:3333 -u 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr -p x --suggest-diff 32

Windows
cgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://pool.ckpool.org:3333 -u 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr -p x --suggest-diff 32

OS X
cgminer -o stratum+tcp://pool.ckpool.org:3333 -u 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr -p x --suggest-diff 32

-- snip --

===============
=Basic Q&A / Troubleshooting=
===============

Q. How can I set a different frequency for the 2Pac vs the Compac?

cgminer will accept one or both parameters for the stick.
--gekko-compac-freq 200 --gekko-2pac-freq 150

Note how, in the run syntax, it gives you a sample command line to start. You edit this with your own pool configs. Note also the --suggest-diff parameter. Then note that setting frequency is --gekko-2pac-freq; does it look a bit familiar? Try adding that to your command line but change the number.

And if it still doesn't work, go read a tutorial on command line interface and try again.

Like I've been saying for over a year now, the answer to just almost every question ever asked in this thread is "read the first post".

hmm i'm getting unrecognized option with both of those options.

my string looks like this:
Desktop\CGMiner\cgminer-3.7.2-windows\cgminer-nogpu.exe -o stratum+tcp://eu.stratum.slushpool.com:3333 -u zbw123.worker1 -p x --gekko-compac-freq 200

are there any obvious mistakes in there please?
vegascoinpool

Activity: 223
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:42:01 AM

Desktop\CGMiner\cgminer-3.7.2-windows\cgminer-nogpu.exe -o stratum+tcp://eu.stratum.slushpool.com:3333 -u zbw123.worker1 -p x --gekko-compac-freq 200

Shouldn’t your string be “2pac-freq” instead of “compac-freq” ?

zac123

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:55:19 AM

Shouldn’t your string be “2pac-freq” instead of “compac-freq” ?

hiya yes i tried that as well. what does your string look like?
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 1838

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 12:25:31 PM

The other mistake is, where did you conjure up cgminer 3.7.2? Why would a cgminer version about four years old work with hardware designed last year?

You can find the appropriate version by...

drum roll...

reading the first post!

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
zac123

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 02:25:33 PM

The other mistake is, where did you conjure up cgminer 3.7.2? Why would a cgminer version about four years old work with hardware designed last year?

You can find the appropriate version by...

drum roll...

reading the first post!

Can you please get over yourself. Stop replying to noobie questions if it annoys you so much.

I was looking for an executable to download and that's the one I found. I tried downloading the feb 2017 link ON THE FIRST PAGE. but I couldn't open it with any of my archiving software....... therefore I went looking elsewhere........ therefore ended up here asking questions........ therefore ended up reading sarcastic messages from you.

If this tread is full of people like me asking similar questions have you considered for a moment that maybe the instructions ON THE FIRST PAGE are not all that great???

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 03:26:02 PM

The first thing I consider is that people aren't so great. That assumption is usually valid. I mean statistically, half of people are below average. Maybe the first post instructions aren't so great, but maybe it's because they assume a basic competence that apparently a whole lot of people are lacking.

*.7z files open with 7zip. That's not difficult to find out. Cgminer 3.7.2 is freaking ancient by crypto standards, so there's no reason to assume it's pre-compiled with the custom driver written several years later. That's also not difficult to find out.

So, what you do is, you download the proper build from the first post. You get 7Zip and open up the 7z file so you can extract its contents. Then you run that command line from earlier, except you use --gekko-2pac-freq because you're running a 2Pac and I bet it'll work.

I reply sarcastically to noobs not because I'm full of myself, but because I'm a really big fan of self-reliance and I hate when people take the easy way out instead of spending the extra five minutes to solve their own problems, especially when the answers are, for the most part, already collected in the first post.

That said - hey VH, you might want to mention in the first post that 7Zip is required for extracting your Windows pre-builts because not everyone recognizes it.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
lok8nusa

Activity: 254
Merit: 11

Call 811 before you dig

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 03:55:43 PM

The first thing I consider is that people aren't so great. That assumption is usually valid. I mean statistically, half of people are below average. Maybe the first post instructions aren't so great, but maybe it's because they assume a basic competence that apparently a whole lot of people are lacking.

*.7z files open with 7zip. That's not difficult to find out. Cgminer 3.7.2 is freaking ancient by crypto standards, so there's no reason to assume it's pre-compiled with the custom driver written several years later. That's also not difficult to find out.

So, what you do is, you download the proper build from the first post. You get 7Zip and open up the 7z file so you can extract its contents. Then you run that command line from earlier, except you use --gekko-2pac-freq because you're running a 2Pac and I bet it'll work.

I reply sarcastically to noobs not because I'm full of myself, but because I'm a really big fan of self-reliance and I hate when people take the easy way out instead of spending the extra five minutes to solve their own problems, especially when the answers are, for the most part, already collected in the first post.

That said - hey VH, you might want to mention in the first post that 7Zip is required for extracting your Windows pre-builts because not everyone recognizes it.

One other thing worth mentioning: if, after you download and extract the latest version of cgminer, you open your freshly extracted folder and don't have a file named "cgminer.exe", disable your antivirus and do it again.

Coining bits since 2017 
Kano Pool is the BEST BTC mining pool.
vh (OP)

Activity: 699
Merit: 662

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:43:52 PM

I couldn't open it with any of my archiving software.......

This may be the first how to open an archive question I've gotten.   Note added.

cross-compiled cgminer.exe binaries (use 7zip or WinZip to open the archive)

emmiitbrown

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 11:12:48 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2018, 11:26:09 PM by emmiitbrown

3.7.2 was the last version to support GPU mining if I recall correctly. Maybe you would use that version for GPU mining on some old hardware with cheap electricity. The pre-built binaries are already there for you on 4.10 version. I don't understand going through the trouble of compiling a non-GPU executable for the last version of CGminer (3.7.2) that supported GPU mining.

However, if you are just figuring out how to compile what you need that is great but it's already been done for you. Tongue

Regarding the command line arguments, that older version of cgminer requires the Iccarus drivers to be compiled into the mix. As far as I know the Iccarus drivers were the earliest compatible with the Compac/Gekko Science USB devices. Again, neither of which you need.

The CGminer documentation (3.7.X) states this  in general
https://github.com/vthoang/cgminer/blob/3.7/ASIC-README <--here

"ASICMINER devices need the --enable-icarus option when compiling cgminer.
Also note that the AMU is managed by the Icarus driver which is detailed
in the FPGA-README. Configuring them uses the same mechanism as outlined
below for getting started with butterfly labs ASICs."

The address is correct for SlushPool configuration and it looks like you have setup your worker.
The frequency argument is not right for the device "Gekko" as the "--gekko-compac-freq 200 " is not a feature of 3.7.x
You may not have compiled the Iccarus drivers at all. Try "cgminer -ndev" to verify devices.

_Edit_  Roll Eyes

---> Use the pre-built 4.10.x <----
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 02:15:13 AM

The Compac was supported by Icarus driver sometime mid/late 2016 I think, because the original driver was built off the U3 code from Icarus. VH's custom driver for the 2Pac was built specifically for the 2Pac, and made flexible enough to be backward-compatible with the Compac and, with minimal modification, forward-compatible with the 8-chip Terminus pod.

When cgminer 3.7.2 was "current", I wasn't even thinking about making miners let alone had a product on the shelf. So native support for anything of mine by Icarus driver is impossible with that version - with the exception that the single-chip Compac might technically work if cgminer thinks it's a really slow Antminer U3.

vezpit

Activity: 407
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2018, 08:23:44 AM

Hello, I have two TTbiT devices, like Gekko 2pac with a built-in fan.  Tried a pi3b and win 10 with all the appropriate drivers, permissions etc., gettin 'failed usb_init.'  Device manager on win10 says all ok. using a 10 port A400 hub with 2a1 per port available.  Have just one to hotplug & comes up with the above each time.  Enabled gekko-2Pac as it is the same as the TTbiT.

Have exhausted trying to find a solution.  Having read page 1 to page 37 and page 80-87 have not found any usable solution.   Any ideas?  Maybe a different enabler?
lok8nusa

Call 811 before you dig

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 12:14:21 PM

Hello, I have two TTbiT devices, like Gekko 2pac with a built-in fan.  Tried a pi3b and win 10 with all the appropriate drivers, permissions etc., gettin 'failed usb_init.'  Device manager on win10 says all ok. using a 10 port A400 hub with 2a1 per port available.  Have just one to hotplug & comes up with the above each time.  Enabled gekko-2Pac as it is the same as the TTbiT.

Have exhausted trying to find a solution.  Having read page 1 to page 37 and page 80-87 have not found any usable solution.   Any ideas?  Maybe a different enabler?

I thought about getting a couple of these. The seller doesn't offer support (I did try email and PM - no replies), and it does not appear that anyone has forked cgminer for the device, despite the ad copy (it says it runs cgminer).  I spent a fair amount of time looking here, and on the search engines; no luck.

I can't afford too many more paperweights, so no TTBit for now.

Coining bits since 2017 
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 01:06:31 PM

Wow, that looks quite suspiciously like a ripoff of my design. A few parts are different but not, you know, a lot.

lok8nusa

Call 811 before you dig

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 01:27:14 PM

Wow, that looks quite suspiciously like a ripoff of my design. A few parts are different but not, you know, a lot.

I'm not an expert (FAR from it), but the specs (10 GH/s) make it look like a single-chip 2Pac (Compac), with a fan and case.

They would probably be fun to play with, but without support like sidehack provides, they're useless as educational devices, and they are a poor value on a cost-per-hash basis, especially compared to the 2Pac (which has stellar CurmudgeonlyR support).

Edit: Re: TTBit - You'll find better support for Gridseeds and Butterflys right now than you will for TTBits.

Coining bits since 2017 
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 01:58:27 PM

There's a rough picture of the topside of the circuit board on Eyeboot. Looks a lot like they changed the layout and a few parts but it appears to be roughly 95% 2Pac. Different 1.8V LDO but the same PLL source divider. It's got level shifters which means it's a 2-chip, and they even copied my clock line shifter (which is different from how Bitmain does it).

If VH's driver isn't friendly with 'em, I guess at least that means they didn't steal my CP2102 product strings.

lok8nusa

Call 811 before you dig

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 02:06:11 PM

There's a rough picture of the topside of the circuit board on Eyeboot. Looks a lot like they changed the layout and a few parts but it appears to be roughly 95% 2Pac. Different 1.8V LDO but the same PLL source divider. It's got level shifters which means it's a 2-chip, and they even copied my clock line shifter (which is different from how Bitmain does it).

If VH's driver isn't friendly with 'em, I guess at least that means they didn't steal my CP2102 product strings.

Eyeboot/eBay is where I first saw them. I don't have the tech chops to spot such, but did notice the ad copy said it runs cgminer and that it strongly resembles the 2Pac. I haven't seen anything from vh about support or a fork.

Coining bits since 2017 
vezpit

Activity: 407
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2018, 09:22:15 PM

Sorry Sidehack.  Bought them in good faith.  Was Going to compare them to the Gekko 2pac as they are $20 cheaper.  Looks now like they are much more expensive paper weights.

I do run Greedseed blade Gs and a D3 and/or L3 is next on the list.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 03:25:30 AM

I asked Eyeboot about it, he's gonna send me some samples to play with. He says they aren't as good, won't clock up as high.

Pages: « 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 »
  Print  

Jump to: