Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:00:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 352 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DNotes 2.0 - Staking, CRISP Interest, DNotes Pay  (Read 148798 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
TimMarsh

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

Professional cryptocurrency writer incl DNotes.

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 03:24:43 AM

Mining BitcoinCash for a Loss

This article on Coin Desk raised some interesting points.

https://www.coindesk.com/miners-mining-bitcoin-cash-losing-money/

The article is about how over last weekend the difficulty of mining bitcoinCash went up by 300%. And how some miners including some of the large pools stuck with it anyway. Then it goes on to analyse possible reasons.

The first thing that jumped out at me is how fickle mining might be. If you have a rig setup that is able to skip between cryptocurrencies quickly and with minimal overhead, it makes sense to respond frequently to shifts in market value and mining difficulty. If this sort of rig became the norm, then transaction times for cryptocurrencies based on PoW would swing wildly. So suddenly, I'm even more relieved to know that DNotes2.0 is shifting to PoS.

I guess that if fast response rigs became common place, tuning a consortium to succeed in a 51% attack would become much easier too.

The other thing that they only touched on was that bitcoinCash has a mechanism to quickly compensate for excessive difficulty. To quote the article: "As a result, emergency difficulty adjustments (a technical mechanism unique to bitcoin cash) were triggered, causing the difficulty to drop enough for miners to begin switching back.

For me the code behind this raises another question. If the code is a public algorithm, which I suspect it is. And if the algorithm does not contain a randomising element, which I suspect is the case. Then a consortium could game the algorithm to give them an artificial advantage. It could be done by sending the network pulses of processing power designed to trigger the difficulty drop. Then inverting the pulse to throw a lot more work at solving the easy hashes, and increase their chance of mining that block. Knowing the algorithm and current amount of work going into the network should make calculating trigger and advantage points relatively simple.

And again I'm glad to know that DNotes2.0 is moving to PoS. 

The article goes on to speculate that there might be artificial incentive to mine being created by those who want the value of BitcoinCash to rise. It proposed that this could be achieved by offering a premium purchase price for newly minted BitcoinCash which only miners would have access too. This is certainly a very feasible idea. But shouldn't it also be easy to prove?

I would have thought that some code that explores the block chain and compares the sale price of transactions made on newly minted coins to the the average sale price at that time would provide solid evidence of this. Maybe some coder will do the work soon and it too will be news.

You have identified some of the more intricate issues cryptocurrency is already experiencing with PoW. Many of these issues do not manifest in bitcoin (or others in the largest market caps) because the hashrate is so high and there is a finite amount of hashing power, so the fluctuations are minimal. So they are not as widely known, as the focus is on larger currencies. The introduction of things like bitcoin cash will magnify these issues and bring them to light for everyone else.

With many of the other cryptocurrencies, mostly with different algorithms and smaller market caps, where jumping around is more advantageous.... There is much more "gaming the system". We have things like multipools and mining software built specifically to hop between pools, resulting in all sorts of network related issues. Such as unpredictable block times and network support. It is quite amazing how quickly the network of miners move according to the price. There are modifications to the blockchain, some of which DNotes has incorporated, however this approach will always leave you behind the curve. Constantly making updates to combat manipulation. Constantly fighting the miners the perform an upgrade that will ultimately result in reducing their ability to game system (why would they want that?). Constantly introducing new variables and potential bugs. All on a slow to upgrade network, causing constant forks and network disruptions.

The scales are tipped highly in favor of PoS for many reasons, and we believe the future of PoS developments will continue to tip the scales even more in favor of PoS.

Wow, I find it really fascinating when my conjecture turns out to already be a reality. As mining rigs and algorithms get more sophisticated, and adopted on a wider scale, I can only see this situation getting worse. This makes me think that the market will then slowly increase their preference for PoS coins, but be wary of the new comers trying to cash in on that preference. In that situation, being an old established coin that is also a PoS coin will give DNotes strong market differentiation and a unique advantage.

Cryptocurrencies will level the playing field. I'm paid to write, but not paid to promote.
TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 03:41:54 AM

The things I like the most about POS:

1. It lowers the barrier to entry for getting a share of the newly minted currency. In Proof-Of-Work systems, miners spend a lot of money in electricity and expensive computer hardware to get the newly minted currency from the block reward. This means the existing supply is inflated, which slowly devalues the existing money supply, while miners frequently immediately sell their mined coins to pay for their fixed and variable costs in hardware / electricity, which puts downward pressure on the price at the exchanges. Investors that run a Proof-Of-Stake node cannot have the value of their holding slowly inflated away as it does in Proof-Of-Work systems, because their holding as a percentage of the total coin supply can not drop, and can in fact grow, from the share earned from other users that chose not to run a POS node.

POW = investors subject to inflation and downwards price pressure from miners, POS = Less downward price pressure, investors that run nodes not subject to inflation, and instead portfolio value grows. The more people that don't run a node, the larger the share of the block reward shared with investors that do run nodes.  

2. The ease, profitability, and near-costless feature of running a Proof-Of-Stake node compared to Proof-Of-Work promotes decentralization and strengthens the security of the network.

DCEBrief

Activity: 1078
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 04:32:26 AM

Coinbase Now Serves 10 Million Users

https://dcebrief.com/coinbase-now-serves-10-million-users/
R-J-F

Merit: 310

AKA RJF - Member since '13

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 12:00:49 PM

That's great, wish they had the capacity for it...

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 12:51:05 PM

Just released:

A snapshot of the program for day one at the World Funding Summit. Blockchain, cryptocurrency, and ICO's are hot topics on the minds of everyone involved in all aspects of finance - they are opening the summit!

TO ALL OUR FOLLOWERS - we are super excited to present you with a snapshot of our amazing program for Day One featuring some of the most powerful and forward-looking people in finance (see our SPEAKERS http://worldfundingsummit.com/speakers). Make sure you sign up on the event website and stay tuned for updates about a very special Day Two.

DAY ONE, Friday, November 17, LA Convention Center (subject to change)
9:00 – 10:00 am Liquidity wanted: call for alternative venture exchanges and blockchain enabled platforms
10:15-11:15 am ICO & Cryptocurrency Introductory Track: Here Comes the Future

11:15 - 12:30 pm Confessions of Venture Capitalists: the truth about the venture capital model and how it might be different in the new digital era
12:30- 1:00 pm Royalties as the alternative way for both investing in/ financing of ventures and projects
1:00- 1:30 pm Microfinance transforming lives: from the third world to the new world
1:30-2:30 pm Fintech connecting the world: meet your global partners
2:30 -3:30 pm Finding an angel or becoming one: angel investing redefined
3:30 - 4:30 pm Capital Wanted – War Stories and Invaluable Insights From Top Financiers and Entrepreneurs
SESSION A: IPO Interrupted: Liquidity Evolution and Future Paths to Success
SESSION B: Goldman Sachs 10,000 small businesses initiative: $500 million investment program
SESSION C: Obtaining foreign capital through investment visas/EB-5 programs
Session D: Film financing: how I found the winning formula
4:30 -5:30 pm Capital for Underserved Markets and Communities
5:30 – 6:00 pm Special Closing Presentation

DAY TWO, Saturday, November 18...

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/world%2Bfunding%2Bsummit/keywords_blended_featured_posts?

Thanks, Chase. You are quick. I just received my email with this update 24 hours earlier. It's going to be a great show. They are very appreciative of our participation. We may issue a press release next week, since this is a great opportunity for DNotes.
smoorfie

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 01:06:30 PM

I want to know more about White Label. Do you have any partnerships programms?
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 01:45:00 PM

The things I like the most about POS:

1. It lowers the barrier to entry for getting a share of the newly minted currency. In Proof-Of-Work systems, miners spend a lot of money in electricity and expensive computer hardware to get the newly minted currency from the block reward. This means the existing supply is inflated, which slowly devalues the existing money supply, while miners frequently immediately sell their mined coins to pay for their fixed and variable costs in hardware / electricity, which puts downward pressure on the price at the exchanges. Investors that run a Proof-Of-Stake node cannot have the value of their holding slowly inflated away as it does in Proof-Of-Work systems, because their holding as a percentage of the total coin supply can not drop, and can in fact grow, from the share earned from other users that chose not to run a POS node.

POW = investors subject to inflation and downwards price pressure from miners, POS = Less downward price pressure, investors that run nodes not subject to inflation, and instead portfolio value grows. The more people that don't run a node, the larger the share of the block reward shared with investors that do run nodes.  

2. The ease, profitability, and near-costless feature of running a Proof-Of-Stake node compared to Proof-Of-Work promotes decentralization and strengthens the security of the network.

Very well said, TeeGee. We are certain that DNotes has made the right decision to switch over from POW to POS. More importantly, we like to see that all of our long-term stakeholders are well rewarded with ease of participation. There are three different rewards amounting to about 8% per year: a) 2% for account balance paid every 30 days, b) 4% for account balance paid every 365 days, and 2% staking reward for participating stakeholders. Once fully implemented, DNotes will be very attractive for long-term savers and ideal for what CRISPs are meant to accomplish. We intent to heavily promote long-term savings for retirement, education, and other needs.

The challenge today for less tech-savvy stakeholders is that participating in POS staking network is often a struggle and very frustrating. We want to change that and make it real easy. Our team has been working hard on these and other features that will make DNotes 2.0 best positioned to accommodate our road-map going forward. There is a lot to be accomplished in a short time. I am getting early indications that our team will need more time. Target date for completion in software development is often difficult to predict since there are always unknowns and trade-offs. In any case, we should have a better reading in a week and I will give you further guidance as soon as I know.  
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 01:59:52 PM

I want to know more about White Label. Do you have any partnerships programms?

Welcome to DNotes, smoorfie. We do not have a Whitelabel partnership program at this time. Because of the way DNotes is positioned, we do expect that many will want to partner with us as early as 2018. I am getting good indications from my rapidly growing LinkedIn connections.

If you feel strongly that you have something worthy of our consideration, please feel free to send me a personal message. We are always responsive and respectful. Thank you for your interest.
TwoCorn

Activity: 135
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 02:37:57 PM

I am curious as to what people expect of the price of DNotes as we run up to the swap to DNotes 2.0 later this month.

I anticipate that the rollout of DNotes 2.0 and all the PR that would accompany that would increase interest in DNotes and the price would go up. I actually expect a significant run-up, but I won't share my wildest speculations.

So, I would also expect that those who are already aware of DNotes would be buying before the swap in order to stock up before that run. That might also put some stress on the supply of DNotes available in Poloniex and the other exchanges, which could further move the price. Especially as they move their DNotes to the DNotes Vault to await the swap.

Just be clear here - I own some DNotes already in the Vault and I am trading in Poloniex a small amount, mostly just playing around based on my expectation of the price movements. (If I'm wrong about the price and/or I get stuck holding some DNotes at a trading loss it's not a problem, I'll just stick them in the Vault before the swap).

I understand that the DNotes insiders here might not publicly discuss price expectations, I can certainly appreciate that.

But I would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this.

CryptoCopywriting.com
I write content and direct response copy for the blockchain and cryptocurrency industry
Website   BitcoinTalk    Twitter  Steemit
R-J-F

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 02:59:41 PM

I am curious as to what people expect of the price of DNotes as we run up to the swap to DNotes 2.0 later this month.

I anticipate that the rollout of DNotes 2.0 and all the PR that would accompany that would increase interest in DNotes and the price would go up. I actually expect a significant run-up, but I won't share my wildest speculations.

So, I would also expect that those who are already aware of DNotes would be buying before the swap in order to stock up before that run. That might also put some stress on the supply of DNotes available in Poloniex and the other exchanges, which could further move the price. Especially as they move their DNotes to the DNotes Vault to await the swap.

Just be clear here - I own some DNotes already in the Vault and I am trading in Poloniex a small amount, mostly just playing around based on my expectation of the price movements. (If I'm wrong about the price and/or I get stuck holding some DNotes at a trading loss it's not a problem, I'll just stick them in the Vault before the swap).

I understand that the DNotes insiders here might not publicly discuss price expectations, I can certainly appreciate that.

Ok, I'll play, here's my guess: 0.08 to 0.12 by September 30 and 0.21 to 0.39 by years end...

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin
Proceed

Activity: 96

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 03:15:30 PM

Very well said, TeeGee. We are certain that DNotes has made the right decision to switch over from POW to POS. More importantly, we like to see that all of our long-term stakeholders are well rewarded with ease of participation. There are three different rewards amounting to about 8% per year: a) 2% for account balance paid every 30 days, b) 4% for account balance paid every 365 days, and 2% staking reward for participating stakeholders. Once fully implemented, DNotes will be very attractive for long-term savers and ideal for what CRISPs are meant to accomplish. We intent to heavily promote long-term savings for retirement, education, and other needs.

The challenge today for less tech-savvy stakeholders is that participating in POS staking network is often a struggle and very frustrating. We want to change that and make it real easy. Our team has been working hard on these and other features that will make DNotes 2.0 best positioned to accommodate our road-map going forward. There is a lot to be accomplished in a short time. I am getting early indications that our team will need more time. Target date for completion in software development is often difficult to predict since there are always unknowns and trade-offs. In any case, we should have a better reading in a week and I will give you further guidance as soon as I know. 

That is, people will buy your coin, and they will think that their pension is guaranteed?

And if the price of your coin falls by 20-30-90%?
Goodbye pension?

Your coin will never replace a state or private pension.

For example, a person bought your coins for $ 50,000 (/0.07 = 714285 coins)
What are the guarantees that the price will remain the same or grow within 10 years?

Max Supply Dnotes can be 500,000,000
500 000 000/714285 = ~ 700 people

Only 700 people will be able to buy a pension Smiley

You say beautiful words, but they are about nothing!

And when is the POS release?
Promised in september, already september, POS but never did.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 03:35:28 PM

In response to "Proceed" there is no guaranteed pension plan. It is best to refer to a direct quote from DNotesVault below:

"CRISP for Retirement is an unstructured and self-directed plan, using DNotes as the investment vehicle to supplement retirement savings. Re-occurring savings, in any amount, may be added at any time. This savings plan can be started with any amount of DNotes by opening an account at DNotesVault with an expanded registration at the CRISP for Retirement landing page." http://dnotesvault.com/crisp-for-retirement.php
R-J-F

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 04:00:28 PM

- JUNK REMOVED -

And when is the POS release?
Promised in september, already september, POS but never did.

POS is PROJECTED for END of September, please learn to read and comprehend before you FUD.

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 04:31:42 PM

In response to "Proceed" there is no guaranteed pension plan. It is best to refer to a direct quote from DNotesVault below:

"CRISP for Retirement is an unstructured and self-directed plan, using DNotes as the investment vehicle to supplement retirement savings. Re-occurring savings, in any amount, may be added at any time. This savings plan can be started with any amount of DNotes by opening an account at DNotesVault with an expanded registration at the CRISP for Retirement landing page." http://dnotesvault.com/crisp-for-retirement.php

Proceed, you seem to be unaware of the difference between pension plans and retirement savings, so I'll try and clear it up somewhat. A pension plan is a highly regulated and/or registered "pool" of funds collected from employees and their employers. It is held by the plan administrator, and invested as they see fit, for the sole purpose of paying out each employee's pension when they retire.

Retirement savings on the other hand, can be made up of any asset you wish (your home, cash in the mattress, etc), in order to fund your retirement. Many people are looking for alternative investments to fund a portion of their retirement, because the current returns on traditional investment just aren't there. Alternative investments can include gold, real estate, various commodities, hedge funds, cryptocurrencies, etc.

DNotes has always maintained a conservative long-term investment view. You should never investing more than 5 -10% of your portfolio in alternative investments like cryptocurrency, and because the industry is still so new, never spend more than you can afford to lose. 

There has never been a single word said about replacing government pension plans. The CRISP has been crystal clear from day one - it is unstructured and self-directed.

Just to clear up a bit more confusion, many government (particularly state gov) and private pension plans are unsustainable, and on the verge of collapse. Social Security and other similar government sponsored retirement funding programs are running out of money, with current employee contributions paying for those already retired. They either won't be there when you are ready to retire, or so drastically reduced in value, they may as well be gone. I wouldn't count on these as being guaranteed, and I strongly believe that everyone should have a backup plan.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
TwoCorn

Activity: 135

View Profile WWW
September 07, 2017, 05:19:59 PM

Ok, I'll play, here's my guess: 0.08 to 0.12 by September 30 and 0.21 to 0.39 by years end...

RJF - Thanks for playing along! I would consider those numbers even a little conservative for cryptoland, but I would expect that in this particular corner of the forum. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen and I would, of course, be pleased.

Re: Proceed's FUDdery - All good responses above. I would add that it was the cautious and conservative DNotes approach that got my interest in it in the first place. This careful approach to investing, focus on saving, and developing underlying value in the currency are exactly what make DNotes different from other coins. That post didn't seem to take any of that into account. Almost as if he didn't really do any research at all.

CryptoCopywriting.com
I write content and direct response copy for the blockchain and cryptocurrency industry
Website   BitcoinTalk    Twitter  Steemit
R-J-F

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 06:05:14 PM

RJF - Thanks for playing along! I would consider those numbers even a little conservative for cryptoland, but I would expect that in this particular corner of the forum. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen and I would, of course, be pleased.

Re: Proceed's FUDdery - All good responses above. I would add that it was the cautious and conservative DNotes approach that got my interest in it in the first place. This careful approach to investing, focus on saving, and developing underlying value in the currency are exactly what make DNotes different from other coins. That post didn't seem to take any of that into account. Almost as if he didn't really do any research at all.

Fudders are generally not known for their ability to research the issue and draw intelligent conclusions. I often wonder what drives people like that. Doubt he was a paid fudder, they usually produce a better quality product. Most likely didn't get much attention as a child and, now, any attention is rewarding. Oh well, takes all kinds of people to make a world! Shame is, if he really wants to know what is going on here, all he has to do is ask, anyone here would be more than happy to explain DNotes to him...

PS: I always go low when predicting price. That way, most of the time, I am pleasantly surprised...  Grin

DCEBrief

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 02:26:01 AM

My wife predicted it to be somewhere between $1.45 and $1.90 by year's end. I remember because she wrote it on a sticky note and stuck it on the wall in my office. Of course, she also predicts the outcome of college football games by carefully evaluating the team colors and the schools' chosen mascots.

So... grain of salt, and all that jazz.

Personally, I have confidence in the system she uses to analyze life - I just don't bank on her conclusions.

Your mileage may vary...
DCEBrief

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 02:26:18 AM

House Bill Would Offer Tax Exemption for Small Crypto Transactions

https://dcebrief.com/house-bill-would-offer-tax-exemption-for-small-crypto-transactions/
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 03:06:05 AM

TwoCorn, thank you for your support and confidence in DNotes. We are very committed to building a purposeful coin and a trusted brand. That will differentiate DNotes from other digital currencies and build long-term value for our stakeholders. In an increasingly crowded space of insane extremely, differentiation is critical to long term success. Eventually, the dust will always settle and very few will remain relevant. Our industry will be bigger in size and scope but the law of survival will remain the same.

We must remain true to our vision and mission – doing what is best for everyone and doing it the right way so that we can build a digital currency worthy of mass acceptance worldwide. Achieving that goal will give us massive scale and make DNotes quite valuable. I personally believe that we have a very good chance of making it happen; provided we don’t start skipping steps and take the short cut. It is always tempting, especially when we are pressed for time.

On balance, we are fortunate that our community has been extremely supportive and thoughtful in their blog posts. They are very much appreciated. We have set very high standards for ourselves and I am very proud to be a member of the team.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 03:18:15 AM

My wife predicted it to be somewhere between $1.45 and $1.90 by year's end. I remember because she wrote it on a sticky note and stuck it on the wall in my office. Of course, she also predicts the outcome of college football games by carefully evaluating the team colors and the schools' chosen mascots.

So... grain of salt, and all that jazz.

Personally, I have confidence in the system she uses to analyze life - I just don't bank on her conclusions.

Your mileage may vary...

Now I can feel the pressure building. I am sure we will have a lot of happy stakeholders if we can meet her half way.
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 352 »
  Print  

Jump to: