Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:25:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 [351] 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2017, 04:07:54 AM
Last edit: September 29, 2017, 08:05:26 AM by markm

I agree that it is hard to how random writings are useful to open source development; music and graphics I can see using them in applications, as mood music for games or images both for use as units and terrain features and to set scenes; but random writings? I am not sure even how best to categorise them to make them useful to someone writing an application, though maybe if you could search for things like "descriptions of shifty-looking characters", "descriptions of furtive, fearful peasants", "anecdotes a person in a tavent might tell to lead in to a quest for the players" and such someone could find uses for such items of text. Though maybe by the time you have done describing what you are looking for you have pretty much already just written it?

Even for music and graphics there have historically been problems with artists seemingly not grasping the concept of open source, I think it would be great to use DeVCoin to try to create truly open source music for example, where we start with open source simulators for simulating instruments and noises, then add ever increasing libraries of open source instruments for those open source instrument-playing programs, and open source mixing instructions for mixing their outputs, so that when we finally include actual recordings of music we can include their source code as in these are the inputs and code that was used to create this recording.

Similarly for graphics, often artists use several layers of stuff in high resolution, or even 3-D models, then snippet out individual images resulting from those components, and do not release the components just specifical shots of specific configurations of them from specific angles at specific resolutions, whose source would obviously be all those components and the recipe for combining them and lining up the shot...

Though we could surely use sets of counters type images one could use wit existing or yet to be built open source games. Heck look at the Galactic Ruleset for Freeciv for example, how it has to re-use images of older-tech units because of an apparent lack of libraries of unit counters useful for Freeciv...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 10:26:09 AM

i never understood what "writers" have to do with DEVcoin, ie development. once that took off, i lost interest in devcoin just like other devs. a revert is needed.
I thought devtome was a stepping stone and/or to be one element of many.
The problem is 'writers' became more numerous than devs, yet most is garbage in terms of broad utility (I'm not a dev, have written so maybe garbage includes me).
pippomio

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 06:13:36 PM

Hi everyone, I came to this thread after googling about similar projects to the one we are working on.
As I understood from the previous posts I read, there is a very active community for this coin but unfortunately after 4 years from the introduction still few results.
I would like to propose to join our efforts and our ideas to create a new project together.
We bring listing to an exchange from day 1 and new features.
If you are interested please drop me a PM.
MOProgress

Activity: 868
Merit: 116

View Profile
October 06, 2017, 09:20:48 PM

If the team that wants to takeover this coin are good in their areas then it should not be a problem.
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 03:45:56 AM
Last edit: October 08, 2017, 04:04:22 AM by Unthinkingbit

i never understood what "writers" have to do with DEVcoin, ie development. once that took off, i lost interest in devcoin just like other devs. a revert is needed.
The problem is 'writers' became more numerous than devs, yet most is garbage in terms of broad utility (I'm not a dev, have written so maybe garbage includes me).

Devcoin started by funding software developers, then devtome was made. Most of those software developers ignored devcoin, as far as I know only develCuy and Emfox came to devcoin from software funding. Most administrators came from writers, because there were far more interested writers.

Devtome was supposed to make money from advertising, which would of payed for other projects, but the advertising revenues turned out to be insignificant. I expected advertisers to pay for many ads on devtome because there was so much content, but I was wrong.

Unthinkingbit

View Profile
October 08, 2017, 04:03:48 AM

In a message, Mark told me we should get back to supporting free open source software. I agree that we should fund more software, I suggest that devcoin fund the active projects on the bitcoin accepting open source project list:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Donation-accepting_organizations_and_projects#Open_source

A while back we sent messages to open source software projects, offering them funding, and they ignored us. However, since devcoin addresses are the same format as bitcoin addresses, we can fund them without any help or even acknowledgement from them. This would be done by adding them to the devcoin share list. This would reduce the number of devcoins being sent to everyone else. Since many of the projects wouldn't even know that they were being funded, there would be fewer devcoins sold, so the value being sold would be similar divided by fewer coins, so the price per devcoin might be slightly higher than what it otherwise would of been.

Are there any objections to funding those projects?

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 08:19:45 PM

Devcoin started by funding software developers, then devtome was made. Most of those software developers ignored devcoin, as far as I know only develCuy and Emfox came to devcoin from software funding. Most administrators came from writers, because there were far more interested writers.

Devtome was supposed to make money from advertising, which would of payed for other projects, but the advertising revenues turned out to be insignificant. I expected advertisers to pay for many ads on devtome because there was so much content, but I was wrong.
No. Your forgetting one.
pippomio

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 02:05:55 PM

If the team that wants to takeover this coin are good in their areas then it should not be a problem.
We don't want to takeover but to work together on a restart of the project
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 08:07:41 AM

No. Your forgetting one.

Thanks for pointing that out and thank you very much for making the latest version of devcoin.

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 08:51:25 AM

In a message, Mark told me we should get back to supporting free open source software. I agree that we should fund more software, I suggest that devcoin fund the active projects on the bitcoin accepting open source project list:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Donation-accepting_organizations_and_projects#Open_source

A while back we sent messages to open source software projects, offering them funding, and they ignored us. However, since devcoin addresses are the same format as bitcoin addresses, we can fund them without any help or even acknowledgement from them. This would be done by adding them to the devcoin share list. This would reduce the number of devcoins being sent to everyone else. Since many of the projects wouldn't even know that they were being funded, there would be fewer devcoins sold, so the value being sold would be similar divided by fewer coins, so the price per devcoin might be slightly higher than what it otherwise would of been.

Are there any objections to funding those projects?
Some public btc donation addresses arent owned by said party, instead of a company/service (bitpay) for example. As they dont have the private key for said address, they can never get their devcoins.

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 10:56:09 PM

I've had no deposits made to my DVC wallet in the past 8 days. Since I'm a file admin I'm used to getting some. I'm not complaining. I just think I need an update. Has there been an updated version of the wallet? Have the DVC payout rules been changed? I'm not on the Github so if someone could post a summary here I'd greatly appreciate it.

I can continue to be a file admin. It takes a total of three minutes of my time once a month.

I mainly want to make sure I'm running the most current wallet, especially if the coin has forked or anything like that.

I'm currently running this version of the wallet: v0.8.5.1-g25a7d46-beta

It seemed to sync and update just fine. It's just that I didn't get any payments, so that tells me there probably have been changes that I need to be made aware of.

Thanks!
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 05:48:29 AM

Ha! A desire to receive more Devcoins. That is a sure sign that Devcoin is not done yet. But in my recollection, not much has happened in terms of updates to the wallet.

wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 01:34:15 PM

Ha! A desire to receive more Devcoins. That is a sure sign that Devcoin is not done yet. But in my recollection, not much has happened in terms of updates to the wallet.

No, it's more that I've noticed a major change. If there haven't been any major updates in terms of DVC allocation, how come I'm suddenly not getting my share?
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 04:14:43 AM

Some public btc donation addresses arent owned by said party, instead of a company/service (bitpay) for example. As they dont have the private key for said address, they can never get their devcoins.

How can you tell if they own their address?

Unthinkingbit

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 04:17:37 AM

I've had no deposits made to my DVC wallet in the past 8 days. Since I'm a file admin I'm used to getting some. I'm not complaining. I just think I need an update. Has there been an updated version of the wallet? Have the DVC payout rules been changed? I'm not on the Github so if someone could post a summary here I'd greatly appreciate it.

I can continue to be a file admin. It takes a total of three minutes of my time once a month.

I mainly want to make sure I'm running the most current wallet, especially if the coin has forked or anything like that.

It seemed to sync and update just fine. It's just that I didn't get any payments, so that tells me there probably have been changes that I need to be made aware of.

Thanks!

Thanks for pointing this out, what happened is that Hunterbunter's site:
http://dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com

is down, which had the administrator lists. I just checked and found that this happened in round 74, so no administrator will get devcoins from ongoing for rounds 74 and 75. Would someone else like to maintain that list?

develCuy

Activity: 470
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 08:18:08 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2017, 08:32:36 AM by develCuy

is down, which had the administrator lists. I just checked and found that this happened in round 74, so no administrator will get devcoins from ongoing for rounds 74 and 75. Would someone else like to maintain that list?

Hi @Unthinkingbit, glad to find you here active again! I'm working very hard a set of assets that will be released along the new version of Devcoin or nDVC. As you have forcasted when Devcoin was created, things deteriorated (maybe faster than expected)... yet there is still enough market share, a BIG amount of people holding Devcoin, along with an exchange that still bets for Devcoin: Coingather.

I you missed the discussion about nDVC look at the previous messages from this thread (last 4 months).

Regarding your proposal to reduce Devcoin liquidity, I think it is a good start but I also think that if you want less Devcoin to be generated, just create a new address from a wallet, delete the private keys, we can call this address: NULL. Then assign all shares to the NULL address, that will reduce creation to 10%, which will encourage mining!

We still need some admins, for example for the mirrors, guess they can still receive their share so that they keep Devcoin alive till I can release nDVC.

If you still need someone to help you with dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com and the list of admins, I'm happy to do it Smiley Since I need Devcoin to stay strong in order to have a successful nDVC release.

Join Devcoin: Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, Keybase  | The Devcoin Project - from the many, one. From one, the source
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:54:50 PM

Thanks!

What needs to be done to "maintain that list"? If its hosting said files and editing them from time to time, i'm up for it. If that's not what has to be done, please tell us more about it.

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 07:40:56 AM

What needs to be done to "maintain that list"? If its hosting said files and editing them from time to time, i'm up for it. If that's not what has to be done, please tell us more about it.

That's it. It's easy but boring work.

Unthinkingbit

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 07:58:22 AM

You and K1773R both agreed to do it. Thank you both for offering. Looking over the last account file with the ongoing list in it:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/blob/master/account_73.csv

I see that K1773R already has an administrator position, and you don't. In general, I want the administrative functions to be spread out, so that if an administrator leaves only one or two duties are dropped at a time, rather than a few at a time. So I prefer that you do it. However, it's up to you and K1773R, if you both decide that K1773R should do it that's fine with me. Please contact K1773R and decide between you who should take the position.

develCuy

Activity: 470
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2017, 06:03:42 PM

You and K1773R both agreed to do it. Thank you both for offering. Looking over the last account file with the ongoing list in it:
https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/blob/master/account_73.csv

I see that K1773R already has an administrator position, and you don't. In general, I want the administrative functions to be spread out, so that if an administrator leaves only one or two duties are dropped at a time, rather than a few at a time. So I prefer that you do it. However, it's up to you and K1773R, if you both decide that K1773R should do it that's fine with me. Please contact K1773R and decide between you who should take the position.

K1773R says that he agrees to let me take care of this duty.

Join Devcoin: Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, Keybase  | The Devcoin Project - from the many, one. From one, the source
Pages: « 1 ... 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 [351] 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: