Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:57:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... 329 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit & new rank requirements  (Read 166632 times)
DaftAjax

Activity: 532
Merit: 284

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 04:50:36 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 05:08:05 PM by DaftAjax

Have you analysed the reasons why you are having hard time getting a merit:

1) Are you making the required effort: I went through some of your old posts and it clearly shows that they are not of very high quality. Since there is huge competition for merit points, you will have to defeat others in terms of quality.

2) Are you making enough posts: The number of posts you made so far are also very less. The more posts you make, more are the chances of getting noticed.

Finally, you also need to active and creative to increase the chances. For instance, some members are getting good number of merits for images they created.

These are not the only reasons to be pointed out in determining why you're not gaining Merits, but this will suffice as it covers the general reasons.

1) Some members don't make very high quality posts but they gain Merits. Nope there are no competitions here as we treat everyone equally, if a person deserves to be Merited then so be it, if not then improve yourself.

2) First of all, the number of posts doesn't have to do with you having more chances of gaining Merits. If you scale it, 1 Merit-worthy post can outnumber a 10 posts (shit posts).

Being active is obvious, but I don't know about being creative. It depends on your own preferences actually. Some members are just giving their thoughts or sharing some information. Images, graphs etc. any other tool are just props, or things that can make things more clear than expressing it into words.

a full member has lets say 200 merit and 100 merit to give a way. a newbie has 10merit and 5 merit to give away. so what do you think of whom you will have greater chances to receive merit?

It is because as stated in the Ranking System by the new System: The higher your rank the more Merits you will need in order for you to rank up. So its pretty stable and balanced. Its obvious that a Junior Member rank will only need 10 Merits to rank up into a Member rank (less Merit); so as a 100 Merit requirement for a Member rank to achieve Full Member rank (more Merit). The number of sMerits will be dependent to the number of Merits received, so even if you're still a Member rank, you can gain even 100 sMerits (assuming that you're a Member that haven't yet achieved the require Activity).

Your thinking too much misconceptions, I suggest that you study more about the system.

|████████████████████████████
██████▀  ▀█████████▀ ▀██████
████▀      ▀█████▀     ▀████
███▀        ▀███         ███
███▄        ▄████▄     ▄████
██████▀  ▀█████████▄ ▄██████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀██▀▀▀██████▀   ▀█████
███          █████▄   ▄█████
███▄        ▄███▀  ▀ ▀  ▀███
████▄      ▄████▄  ▄ ▄  ▄███
███████▄▄██████████▄▄▄██████
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████
▄█████████▀    ▄████▀   ▄██▀
 ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████████████████  █████
██████████▀ ▀███████████████
▄███████▀     ▀██████  ████▄
███████         ████████████
▀███████▄     ▄██████  ████▀
██████████▄ ▄███████████████
█████████████████████  █████

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄████████████▀  ▄███▀  ▄███▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████
|         ▄▄████▄▄       
     ▄▄█████▀▀█████▄▄   
 ▄▄█████▀▀      ▀▀█████▄▄
████▀▀              ▀▀████
███       ▄▄████▄▄     ███
███   ▄▄█████▀▀█████▄▄ ███
███▄█████▀▀      ▀▀███████
█████▀▀    ▀█████▀   ▀▀███
███         ▀█▀▀███▄▄    ▀
████▄▄            ▀▀███▄ 
 ▀▀█████▄▄      ▄▄█████▀ 
     ▀▀█████▄▄█████▀▀     
         ▀▀████▀▀         
Acewins.io|████████████████████████████
██████████  ██  ████████████
████████         ▀██████████
██████████  ████▄  █████████
██████████  ████▀  █████████
██████████          ▀███████
██████████  ███████  ███████
████████▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄███████
████████▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄█████████
██████████▄▄██▄▄████████████
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████
|||

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FacelessCrypto

Activity: 539
Merit: 105

IDENA.IO - Proof-Of-Person Blockchain

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:14:01 PM

While introduce in merit system, every rank person is set to the lowest merit score in that rank.This is unfair.it should have prorated according to the activity at that point of time. Agree?

TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 05:35:18 PM

While introduce in merit system, every rank person is set to the lowest merit score in that rank.This is unfair.it should have prorated according to the activity at that point of time. Agree?

I would agree but that doesn't really matter because it's too late to change it now and the one person who's opinion does matter doesn't agree.

... I considered giving merit proportional to activity, but I decided not to because doing so would probably give far more undeserved merit than deserved merit in total. But undoubtedly some people got screwed by this.....

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PerLasz

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:58:18 PM

Notice to the public:
Merit makes us crazy, be careful not to be the subject but indeed subject.
Look member to member quarrel each other. I like and dislike this merit but the truth we are all subjects.
Watch your way. POST AT YOUR OWN RISK but don't beg for merit or other wise it will kick you out.
Deena

Activity: 238
Merit: 49

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 06:22:24 PM

This made it virtually impossible to level up.

Even if I write a really high-quality post, maybe 100 people really like it but only 2 of them have spendable merit because they used it already.

I don't understand how this system is supposed to help anyone level up?

Instead, it just makes sure that the people who already put in the work previously, will be rewarded for it.

It's virtually impossible to gather 250/ 500/ 1000 merit scores if you don't have the rank yet.

Exactly I liked your post a lot but I'm not meriting it.

It is also the question why our posts need to be so exceptionally. Outside spammers are most discussions on this forum normal discussions by normal users. All that normal activity is laid to waste with the merit system. And don't think that the present Legendary members and heroes attained that level with many exceptional posts.
mrelich

Activity: 154
Merit: 24

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 06:53:42 PM

hello admin,
My post activity is 126.But still in the member position can you please explain me.

To get new rank you need more 90 Merits.
It's quite a long road to your goal now...

Getting 90 merits is an impossible task. Relax and take the fact that you will stay in member position forever Smiley
pvk444

Activity: 252
Merit: 47

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 06:55:09 PM

Even if I write a really high-quality post, maybe 100 people really like it but only 2 of them have spendable merit because they used it already.

Instead, it just makes sure that the people who already put in the work previously, will be rewarded for it.

It's virtually impossible to gather 250/ 500/ 1000 merit scores if you don't have the rank yet.

Really? I started on 250 Merit as a Sr Member so I need 250 to rank up to Hero. Since 24th January I've got 147 of those so only another 103 to get. It takes 8.5 months to get the activity required, so this isn't going to slow people down at all, let alone make it impossible.

With all do respect, this is a false equivalence. I have looked at some of the posts you made, in particular that gained you many merits at once. And whereas you made undeniably fair and proper statements, gainig 30 merits for a short two sentences post, is disproportional, and has IMHO nothing to do with "quality". And please, don't get me wrong, I am not blaming you. I have received myself 10 merits for posts which I found completely undeserved, while other posts that I truly believed make some important, new contributions received 0.

I've read many comments here equating the quality of posts to the success of earning merits. From what I have seen how merits are awarded, this is not what really happens. Merits seem to me more akin to "likes" on Twitter or Facebook, than to a "fair" peer-review of quality. People seem to be MUCH more likely to give merits to short posts that express their own opinions rather than the quality of the post itself.  Also, there are certain threads in which readers are more liberalrly spending merits than in others. A weak post in such a thread has a higher chance of gaining merits and a great post in a less visited thread with less "free flowing" merits.

I understand the rational for introducing the merit system, and if it manages to keep the scammers, serial fudders or brainless posters away, then great. But I do have an issue with comments that seem to imply that quality and merits go together and if somebody makes quality posts they will be rewarded with merits. Average posts and some large amount of luck that a like-minded generous reader stumbles upon the post, is more relevant for merits than quality.

mrelich

Activity: 154
Merit: 24

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 07:09:28 PM

Really? I started on 250 Merit as a Sr Member so I need 250 to rank up to Hero. Since 24th January I've got 147 of those so only another 103 to get. It takes 8.5 months to get the activity required, so this isn't going to slow people down at all, let alone make it impossible.

What magic are you using to get so many merits even for short posts? Smiley I have created a popular thread about privacy coins, but received only few merits so far. Maybe to get some merits one also has to be very lucky Smiley
pvk444

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 07:25:46 PM

What magic are you using to get so many merits even for short posts? Smiley I have created a popular thread about privacy coins, but received only few merits so far. Maybe to get some merits one also has to be very lucky Smiley

Although I agree with the sentiment of your comment, and indeed made the same observation just above you, I also took the liberty of looking at the post about privacy coins you referred to. The problem I see there is that it's not original and does not contribute something new. There are already several threads looking at the universe of privacy coins, some of them with much more details. Taken on it's own, the post is of high enough quality and thus deserving merits (which it got). But I would not give it a merit myself, again, because the topic is being discussed on many other threads, and personally, I would prefer to see the other discussions advance.

Azurewrath

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 03:10:58 AM

the merit will lead to new memers never to get rank rise, and surely more and more people people will quit from this forum, i just want to know how to handle those hero and legend members with scam posts? i think most scams are posted by those high rank members who participate in bounty campaign
FlightyPouch

Activity: 1638
Merit: 300

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 03:54:44 AM

the merit will lead to new memers never to get rank rise, and surely more and more people people will quit from this forum, i just want to know how to handle those hero and legend members with scam posts? i think most scams are posted by those high rank members who participate in bounty campaign

And where do these negativity comes from? Is this the function of Merit? No! Merit is for the best of the forum and not for the worst of the members. If the members want to contribute in these forum, they are just asked to make a constructive and quality post, is that too much to ask?

Nothing is wrong with complaining since that means that you understand the new system you are making some queries and suggestions about it but if you will be spreading out this kind of words in the forum, just find another one without this kind system, it will be great.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████     
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████   
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
!
inbizin

Activity: 210
Merit: 140

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 05:24:11 AM

This picture shows reality of Merit system.
this is my picture Grin from 162 page
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2818350.msg31113413#msg31113413
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2018, 06:26:20 AM

With all do respect, this is a false equivalence. I have looked at some of the posts you made, in particular that gained you many merits at once. And whereas you made undeniably fair and proper statements, gainig 30 merits for a short two sentences post, is disproportional, and has IMHO nothing to do with "quality". And please, don't get me wrong, I am not blaming you. I have received myself 10 merits for posts which I found completely undeserved, while other posts that I truly believed make some important, new contributions received 0.

It really has nothing to do with the length of a post. I actually find long posts annoying and prefer people to be able to get their point across concisely.

forum

NOUN (plural forums)

1 A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
‘we hope these pages act as a forum for debate’
(Src: OED)

There is no secret or technique to gain merit, just use the forum for what it is intended. If you are having conversations and exchanging ideas then at least one person is reading your posts. Quality isn't about writing a masterpiece it is about making an important point.

pvk444

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 06:46:49 AM

No, it’s possible just work hard and smart.

I know that this is the intention, but it's not how it works. Equating working hard and smart with the possibility of gaining merits, is not reality. There are way too many great posts out there which recieve no merits while weak posts receive several merits. The causality that's being claimed here, does not hold on average
tranthidung
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 4007

Farewell o_e_l_e_o

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2018, 06:48:08 AM

~
Honestly, I don't think your post makes sense. It looks like a spam thread, no useful contents inside, and the images is almost oversized. Both of them make your thread a little bit annoying with readers who want to read around to obtain knowledge, lessons, sharing experiences. Please stop quote oversised-images threads next time. If quote, please delele lines related to images attached.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
pvk444

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 06:54:04 AM

It really has nothing to do with the length of a post. I actually find long posts annoying and prefer people to be able to get their point across concisely.

In principle, you are right that the length of the post in itself is not a measure of quality. One of the most influential insights can be expressed in a few letters : E = mc2 ... But it still stakes the pages over pages to explain the meaning and context, before it really start making sense.

And a point well made, in a concise manner is definitely better than rambling on about a minor issue.

So let me then ask you, do YOU think some the post that earned you 30 merits is, in comparison to other posts, really worth 30 merits? What's then the yardstick to determine what it a quality post and should get merits and what isn't?
Janation

Activity: 1722
Merit: 528

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 06:58:57 AM

No, it’s possible just work hard and smart.

I know that this is the intention, but it's not how it works. Equating working hard and smart with the possibility of gaining merits, is not reality. There are way too many great posts out there which recieve no merits while weak posts receive several merits. The causality that's being claimed here, does not hold on average

Then make a thread with those "great" posts without merits entitled "Me Applying to be A Merit Source". This is the greatest solution for your complain. Members may merit those posts that don't really makes sense to you but I think they have their own reason why they've done that, these reasons include merit trading and alt accounts.
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2018, 07:14:56 AM

So let me then ask you, do YOU think some the post that earned you 30 merits is, in comparison to other posts, really worth 30 merits? What's then the yardstick to determine what it a quality post and should get merits and what isn't?

You should have read that post and looked at the thread it is in. It's QuestioAuthorities merit thread. I specifically said I wasn't applying for merit but was agreeing with his point about how merit was initially distributed was unfair particularly to higher ranks that were just about to rank up. I wasn't even thinking about myself as I was a couple of months short of having enough activity to make Hero, I was thinking about people who were just a week or 3 away. He decided to look at my posting history anyway and he thought at least 20 of my old post deserved merit (that's his way of doing it). Them Mitchell and Wowcoin came along and gave me 5 more each.

That post is actually an example of what I'm talking about, having conversations and debates, as shortly after theymos came along and explained why he decided to distribute merit in that way.

Maybe the other 117 merit is more representative than those 30?

Again you focus on 'quality', forget that and start talking to people about issues related to Bitcoin, that's what the forum is for.

pvk444

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 07:31:24 AM

Again you focus on 'quality', forget that and start talking to people about issues related to Bitcoin, that's what the forum is for.

These are the false equivalences that are of concern. You switch from a quality focus to focusing on "talking to people about issues related to Bitcoin", and make it appear as that would be the relevant measure for gaining merits. And once again, whereas the intention of this might be the right one, it is not what data shows how it really works.
TheQuin

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2018, 07:37:06 AM

These are the false equivalences that are of concern. You switch from a quality focus to focusing on "talking to people about issues related to Bitcoin", and make it appear as that would be the relevant measure for gaining merits. And once again, whereas the intention of this might be the right one, it is not what data shows how it really works.

What data? Can you point me to a statistical analysis of merits given in a person to person conversation versus those that are not?

It really depends what you define as 'quality'. "talking to people about issues related to Bitcoin" is quality to me. It has nothing to do with making big long fancy posts. The fact you judged my 30 merit post on the grounds that it was only a few lines long rather than reading the conversation it was part of shows me you just don't get it and I'm wasting my time trying to explain it to you.

Pages: « 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 [175] 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... 329 »
  Print  

Jump to: