Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:52:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597300 times)
Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 06:42:06 PM

Since 50% have not upgraded, and so many people have sync issues, lets push scrypt sleep back to block 65000.

New Version Available:
1.1.6.2/76/8.2:

-Scrypt sleep pushed back to block 65000 to allow 100% to upgrade.
-PoolMining switched to 5 hour wallethour window to give poolminers more frequent payouts until pool grows larger.

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2014, 06:49:01 PM

For everyone elses benefit and to clarify for Zulzedd and heretolearn: ...

Rob : now that you have clarified the situation, it is easier for me and others to understand the reasons. Before this there was no way I or anybody else could know why things are the way they are. I appreciate the work you have put in and more so for the detailed response outlining the problem.

HOWEVER (try to take this positively,cause that is my sole intention)

From a user perspective, people will still begin by asking : Why not a "native" linux client ? (Obviously they would not bother to read the explanation you provided above at first go).

So I "propose a solution" : To overcome this problem of "Why not a 'native' linux client ?" question asked by the user, we can put a small tag line (or have an FAQ page) on the site that would say something like "one codebase for all versions/ smooth and easy to maintain codebase of all cryptocurrencies" or something along the lines (you get the idea) to answer such questions then and there.

So in a way we could use our "perceived weakness" for the project to our "perceived strength". That way we can not only answer future new users but also gain a significant advantage from a marketing perspective (which we need more and more). Kill two bird with the same stone strategy.

Maybe I am wrong or someone has a better suggestion. All open to it. Let me know if it makes sense.

Thanks
Absolutely!  I have been trying to make time to put a FAQ page on gridcoin.us for a couple of weeks, since I have about 15 FAQ's that are critical that should be there.  I will definitely add this to the list.

I think what we need to do is package up the Linux & mac version into an installer, release it on the web site, and have something for our users to download and test therefore exposing any problems we have with this version.  Then people can see how close we are to having a full fledged Linux/mac version that mines, and have the download links working.  I'm working on that next; short of today's problem where we have sync issues Smiley.

Thanks for being more open minded and working with me.

Rob H.

TribalBob

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 09:10:15 PM

Is there some way to get an idea of how many GRC we would earn per day pool mining based on our hashrate...?

I'm hashing at about 400 KH/s

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Ardolafat

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:06:10 PM

Has anyone contacted coinmarketcap since we have a coinbase amount in block explorer?
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 09, 2014, 10:49:38 PM

I sent them a request for addition.

Has anyone contacted coinmarketcap since we have a coinbase amount in block explorer?

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 12:09:42 AM

Hello Everyone,

Lots of progress today on the Linux & Mac unified version.

Now you can download the Linux or Mac version from a single installation package, and when new releases come out
we will automatically update them with the newest components.

- All dependencies are compiled in to the MSI (except Wine)
- No need to do any manual registration of files

I tested block syncing on Ubuntu today successfully.  I also tested RPC port commands, and
confirm the client is ready for mining.  Please volunteer if you can take it for a spin with an actual card.

Installation Instructions:
https://www.gridcoin.us/download/InstallingGridcoinQTOnLinuxAndMac.txt

Download Location:
https://www.gridcoin.us
Note: You may have to press Ctrl-F5 to refresh Gridcoin.us for the latest Mac/Linux files.

- Web site updated with working links for our three versions.

Cheers,
Grid

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2014, 12:22:19 AM

Is there some way to get an idea of how many GRC we would earn per day pool mining based on our hashrate...?

Hi Bob,
It should be the same as solo mining after you find a few blocks.  The main difference is you are paid for the blocks over a longer period so it takes a while to build up to the same average but you are also paid for a few days after you quit (it's like A/R in a business).

BTW, can you please send me the link to your new user startup guide?

Thanks!

Rob H.

matsmyth

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:38:31 AM

I cannot sit idly back any longer without comment:

Rob.....you sir deserve some sort of award for all of your efforts on Gridcoin. I follow the tech speak as much as I can, but I am constantly floored at the rapid progress you make with these difficult issues and the level of communication you maintain with the community. This is not only an incredibly unique and revolutionary coin, but you stand out among all the developers I've followed/come into contact with thus far. That combination makes the success of this coin, and the benefits it will bring to the world, inevitable. I predict that some day soon you'll be receiving lots of attention and praise for what you're doing here. Be prepared.

I follow the developments daily and I'm looking into ways of my own to contribute to the community. Thanks for all of your hard work. It has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

Seriously, just WOW. And I do not say that lightly.
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:05:06 AM

Well said Sir, well said!!! +1

I cannot sit idly back any longer without comment:

Rob.....you sir deserve some sort of award for all of your efforts on Gridcoin. I follow the tech speak as much as I can, but I am constantly floored at the rapid progress you make with these difficult issues and the level of communication you maintain with the community. This is not only an incredibly unique and revolutionary coin, but you stand out among all the developers I've followed/come into contact with thus far. That combination makes the success of this coin, and the benefits it will bring to the world, inevitable. I predict that some day soon you'll be receiving lots of attention and praise for what you're doing here. Be prepared.

I follow the developments daily and I'm looking into ways of my own to contribute to the community. Thanks for all of your hard work. It has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

Seriously, just WOW. And I do not say that lightly.

Inrideo

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:37:29 AM

This is what I'm seeing running under Lubuntu.
Using today's wine package and the instructions. I've also tried to connect a standalone copy of cgminer to it but not seeing a connection.

here is a link to the full sized image: https://i.imgur.com/DAdquaj.png

Gridcoin :: GGEijprFRgB8LFVDLbdKQK9CcysFXAXRop
Inrideo

Activity: 130

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 03:37:27 AM

I can telnet in via IPv6, so maybe if I can get the standalone cgminer to talk to it I'll have some progress.

Gridcoin :: GGEijprFRgB8LFVDLbdKQK9CcysFXAXRop
heretolearn

Activity: 128

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 09:15:38 AM

So I am not mining right now (because of PSU being burnt  Cry ) . But if most of you can confirm that the momentary sync problem was over then we can all start clamouring for Gridcoin to be included on coincapmarket. I have already done that here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199685.msg5051070#msg5051070.

So I would ask all members of the community to go there and post similar messages or just quote the above message and "+1" it if your lazy Tongue.

PS : Expect a (big) hike in networkrate and prices soon Cheesy
andrewp

Activity: 144

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 11:34:44 AM

So I am not mining right now (because of PSU being burnt  Cry ) . But if most of you can confirm that the momentary sync problem was over then we can all start clamouring for Gridcoin to be included on coincapmarket. I have already done that here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199685.msg5051070#msg5051070.

So I would ask all members of the community to go there and post similar messages or just quote the above message and "+1" it if your lazy Tongue.

Hi!

Good job! I added my post! Smiley

Guys, check this out! We are really close to breaking our own daily record in credits! Smiley
http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/detail/118094994/overview

Andrew.

Proud Gridcoiner since 2013!
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:19:55 PM

I put up the team Gridcoin boinc points sheet.

zulzedd

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 12:54:46 PM

Posted Gridcoin team Graph and voted here http://www.allcrypt.com/beta/voting.php again.

Aeron 1.250.000 CryptoBonusMiles Giveaway, 250 Winners, 5.000 CryptoBonusMiles per winner and guaranteed airdrop for ARN holders until 30.11.2018.
Follow the link to join Giveaway 
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:09:52 PM

I have to be reminded daily about that one, I keep forgetting it.

Posted Gridcoin team Graph and voted here http://www.allcrypt.com/beta/voting.php again.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:19:08 PM
Last edit: February 10, 2014, 02:21:45 PM by aigeezer

I vote there every time someone reminds me (thanks!) but I haven't yet found an easy way to use their "bribe" function. It should be easy to send them a few BTC crumbs for extra votes but the addresses they print are not copyable into a clipboard and I'm reluctant to copy manually because of the risk of error. Anyone know an easy way to grab their BTC address for GRC votes?

Edit: Suddenly it started working for me. Do your own due diligence, but this is what I got: 16JfRDjQndMnohi1d6HX4HXSDv4SdHB6er

Edit: Just sent 0.01 BTC there as a test. No effect yet - I guess they wait for confirmations. It was at 754 when I sent.

Edit: 12 confirmations and we are at 854 now, so it seems to work.

heretolearn

Activity: 128

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:22:11 PM

Hi Andrew,

Great ! Nice job at adding the points I missed.

Hi Traderman,

Awesome to have added the points table Cheesy

Hi zulzedd,

That graph is looking sexier every passing day !! Amazing.

Hi Rob,

Maybe you could just add a post there saying your the lead dev and the OP could contact you for any further questions if he has regarding the coin. That would make him feel even more confident about adding the coin. Just a suggestion Cheesy

PS : I think the only hurdle for now is that the guys site requires volume data when fetching prices from c-cex.com and I doubt whether c-cex provides. I am not sure about it. Lets hope it doesn't cause a problem. Lets see I am speaking to the c-cex dev about adding volume if he can. Fingers crossed. Also coincapmarket is going to have a second page after 100 coins, I hope we make it as the 100th coin itself cause right now our market cap and trade volumes are low compared to other coins.

@all who have not left a comment there, go ahead an leave it. Lets let the world know we are proud gridcoiners !!
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 01:46:07 PM

I wrote about same things about 2-3 weeks ago(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=324118.msg4610130#msg4610130). I switched to pool mining yesterday and i see same - no payouts from pool, but i got 1 150 GRC payment, as if i solo mining. Previously i mined in pool for 3-4 days and was gettin payouts at 30-70 GRC after week (!) from when i started to mine in pool. I didn't calculadet profits, but seems pool mining working correctly, but with great latency because of Wallet Hour.

Thanks, zulzedd. I had forgotten about your earlier post - back then I had not yet tried pool mining so it went right over my head at the time.

Sounds like we have similar effects when pool mining. Did you notice whether the address your pool mining payouts went to was normal (presumably your default/leaderboard address)? Mine - only the one so far - showed as being sent to a receiving address I use for a different purpose, one that the mining pool presumably should not have been aware of. I'm now guessing it's a glitch in the wallet display - perhaps it shows "last referenced address" or some such thing.

I'll keep this machine in pool mode a while longer and see what develops.

All,

Regarding PoolMining:

I want to reiterate this:  Its a huge risk for us to open Gridcoin to a standard pool: Its hard to enforce a network packet containing Boinc authenticity information and "believe" the pool operator is going to be trusted with that information; it opens us up to fraud.  If that were NOT the case, I would add that to our spec and work with a pool mining operator.  No one likes a central authority, so we built integrated pool mining inside the client.

In light of that, everyone liked the old integrated pool with the small payments - the only thing they hated was finding the first block.  I viewed that as a miniscule problem; a training issue.

When we went to "Wallet Hour" payments to cut down on bloated wallets; everyone jumped ship and now we only have 23 pool miners. 

The root of the problem is the current pool only pays you in your wallet hour when another pool miner finds a block.  Its easy for a few of the pool miners to lose faith in it when a couple of days go by with no payments.

What I propose as a bridge between now and when we have 100+ pool miners is modifying the client to pay in 4 hour blocks; 2 hours before and 2 hours after the wallet hour.  I think this will satisfy our pool miners for the time being.

What I also want to say about our integrity:  I do not believe anyone has been ripped off- remember, any "advantage" or "disadvantage" is shared among the whole network; so no one is getting something in the pool and ripping other users.  But I will do what I can to satisfy everyone. 

So, as a stopgap I will modify the client to do the 4 hour window for now.

Grid

Thanks for the update. That's very useful to know. I was thinking the pool mining was buggy until I read your post because, after several days running nonstop, my mining module displays seven blocks accepted, no stales or invalid - but there were no payouts at all. I'll switch to the new version now and leave pool mining on a while longer.     

TribalBob

Activity: 1288
Merit: 257

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
February 10, 2014, 02:20:58 PM

Hi Bob,
It should be the same as solo mining after you find a few blocks.  The main difference is you are paid for the blocks over a longer period so it takes a while to build up to the same average but you are also paid for a few days after you quit (it's like A/R in a business).

BTW, can you please send me the link to your new user startup guide?

Thanks!

Rob H.

LOL, I posted it the last time you asked me, but here it is again: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=403734.0

Also, thank you for all your efforts and keep up the great work!

Now I need to figure out why no matter how many credits I make I just can't seem to climb the leaderboard. Yesterday I had 1,300+ credits and was at position 161, today I have 5,773 avg credits and I'm down to 166th position.    Sad

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
Pages: « 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: