Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:27:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412869 times)
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 04:35:48 AM

I previously mentioned that it would totally make sense to finance hackathons, i.e. project which can be implemented in 48 hours. There are programmers who would not mind getting like $1000 for such hackathon, especially if it is fun... And if one of ten will be successful, it will pay off.
How is a hackathon any different from a writeathon or a poetry contest? Just because a lot of programmers produce a lot of code it does not mean that code will be worth any money. A lot of very valuable free software doesn't make any money for the programmers writing it. Bitcoin is really a change in the model and the reason I support the deflationary model of Bitcoin is because early adopters (beta testers) and the original programmers are getting rich now. To me that is how it's supposed to work when you invent something of value for the world.

Imagine if Satoshi were paid in Devcoins instead. If Satoshi had millions of Devcoins, or even billions, it just would not work because there is no reason to mine Devcoins when 90% of profits go to the developers. Ethicoin has the advantage here in that it's fairly distributed 50/50 which to me makes a lot of sense.
This isn't true, many Devcoin bounties were paid for

• software
  • open-source hardware
  • logo/banner designs
  • mining pools which offer an option to auto-exchange Bitcoins they mine into Devcoins
  • stock market to allow Devcoin-denominated assets

I suspect that mining stocks and other Devcoin-denominated securities had a significant impact on Devcoin market cap.

This is true, but it does not change the fact that it's easier for people to get paid writing for Devcoin because the bounty system isnt automated while Devtome is.

Particularly, this one: https://cryptostocks.com/securities/14 Ignore description, this is basically a Glari Mining Project (GMP) passthrough which pays Devcoins.

I suspect that when GMP will receive ASICs devcoin value might substantially go up...

And I'm saying it wont substatially go up. I know you have the masters degree in mathematics but lets see who is right. Our differences are philosophical and not based on abstract calculations. The statistics are what they are, the numbers are what they are, but I interpret them to mean something different. Let's find out who is right and if I'm wrong then I will eat my words but if you are wrong then perhaps you should consider a different model and consider my suggestion of a hard fork.

Anyway, Devcoin is pretty cool if you ignore everything about Devtome. It isn't about communism, it isn't about paying as many workers as possible. It is about providing capital for cool open-source projects.

If it's about paying as many workers as possible are you saying that people who produce code are somehow more valuable than people who write poems and books? I'm saying they are relatively the same because the nature of the work is relatively the same. This is why the pay should be relatively the same.

But you're under the impression that somehow if we turn all the writers into programmers that this will make any difference? It's still just people getting paid for language arts, it's not going to make any real difference. Devcoin isn't going to become more valuable just because some guys writing python and visual basic are making apps for Devcoins instead of a bunch of guys writing novels and poems. My argument is that Fin Shaggy has done more to popularize Devcoin than anyone else and he did it with his words, not writing code.

I think perhaps the problem with Devcoin is that it can only support a finite amount of writers and programmers at a time. That isn't how a market is supposed to work. When more people are willing to work, the pie isn't supposed to shrink. When productivity and quality increases the profits aren't supposed to shrink. That is what I see happening with Devtome. Devtome is more popular than ever, has higher quality works being produced than ever, yet the pay for each worker is going down?

This provides no further incentive for workers to improve quality, or produce better work. The same will apply to programmers, eventually the pay ceiling for programmers will be reached just as it is for writers and then no amount of innovation, hard work, or quality will transcend that ceiling.

That is the problem with Devcoin in the immediate future. Unless quality and innovation is rewarded then it's all going to fail. And no one said anything about communism, but the purpose of Devcoin and of an economy in general is to allow people to trade and in this case people want to trade writing because Devcoin currently supports only writing.

Bounties are going to be very limited. So basically you're saying Devcoin is always going to be a very small market which can't really grow too large or it stops working. That is why I say it's broken from the start.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 04:42:21 AM

So in summary you're saying devcoin can't work because unlike most other cryptos currencies it's not a deflationary pyramid scheme, even though such schemes are necessarily flawed as currencies from the onset? And that although the required stability and sustainability for real world substitutability of state fiat, given economic and monetary trends (no I don’t know at what price), could perhaps be achieved with a currency concept like Devcoin it is Devcoin that has the model wrong?

I think it will be fascinating to observe the progression of views and wake-up calls in this area over time as people begin to appreciate that wealth still does not grow on trees or with feigned blockchain scarcity. Actually it’s already fascinating, if a little tragic. 'Ethicoin' can't work with a limited blockchain in application of anything like the devcoin model because the weight placed on early payout > later. This problem won't be remedied by a rising price because there is no incentive for early adopters and miners to give away a free lunch and therefore every arguable downside but none of the upside of devcoin. But I'm sure the developers understand this, as do you. But good luck with it.

If it isn't working now, why should I believe it can work 5 years from now when there will be better alternatives for sure? This is the Devcoin moment where it either finds a way to get everyone working for it, or next year the infrastructure to work for Bitcoin will be set up and no one will care about Devcoin.

Ethicoin has a chance to fill the void and possibly fill the niche so I'm waiting to see what they do and Litecoin isn't exactly Bitcoin so they have a couple years and then they too will be in the same position of Devcoin. Bitcoin is about to go mainstream in 2014 and if Devcoin isn't being used by all of us by that time then I would say it may be too late.

And when I say used by all of us, I mean anyone who wants a job on this forum should be able to find a job which pays in a significant amount of Devcoin if they are willing to do the job. I know people will say Devcoin was set up to pay developers, but most people on this forum are developers and how many of us are paid in Devcoin right now?

Bounties are not a very good way to do things. Subscription models like what Coinbase is offering could kill Devcoin once enough podcasters and bloggers switch over. Writers just starting out will use Devcoin but once they become successful they'll sell their works for Bitcoin. Journalists may have to go with a Bitcoin subscription model because Devcoin just wont pay them enough in $. I can't believe I'm the only one who can see this coming.

The deflationary model is right. You don't agree for philosophical reasons but to anyone who owns Bitcoins which are worth $100 each, and who owns ASICminer shares worth 2.5 BTC each, or who is mining with an ASIC right now, why would these people have a problem with the 21 million Bitcoin limit?
acs26

June 12, 2013, 04:48:57 AM

My brother died this past week, and we are starting a foundation. We want to do a few things.

1. Aware people that allergies are way more serious than they seem to be (packages needn any peanut product bag. to be labeled like cigarettes, ex: "This product can kill you or your child if ingested", and possibly a big red "P" on any peanut product bag.

2. Do some charitable things in his name, such as clean highways, give scholarships, make baseballs (he was 11 and it was his favorite sport), make tributes (Mason Town, Songs, etc) and other nice things.

I would like to make donations possible in Devcoin, and I would like to get the support of the Devcoin community in starting this project. Not through donations (unless you have some extra DVC, a wallet will be created for this purpose over the next few weeks) but through sharing the word, and maybe posting on a thread when I make one later to this same effect.

Thank you for any support, I will post more information here.

1. Companies already have it. In the ingredient section, and mostly on the back or front of the product.

2. Even though I don't agree with how you flame people, or the ways you do most things, I'd be willing to donate a few DevCoins. Sorry for your loss, bro. (This seems really legit, actually.)
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 04:49:46 AM

"If we all sold our coins for a penny each, that's how much they would be worth"

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 04:52:32 AM

My brother died this past week, and we are starting a foundation. We want to do a few things.

1. Aware people that allergies are way more serious than they seem to be (packages needn any peanut product bag. to be labeled like cigarettes, ex: "This product can kill you or your child if ingested", and possibly a big red "P" on any peanut product bag.

2. Do some charitable things in his name, such as clean highways, give scholarships, make baseballs (he was 11 and it was his favorite sport), make tributes (Mason Town, Songs, etc) and other nice things.

I would like to make donations possible in Devcoin, and I would like to get the support of the Devcoin community in starting this project. Not through donations (unless you have some extra DVC, a wallet will be created for this purpose over the next few weeks) but through sharing the word, and maybe posting on a thread when I make one later to this same effect.

1. Companies already have it. In the ingredient section, and mostly on the back or front of the product.

2. Even though I don't agree with how you flame people, or the ways you do most things, I'd be willing to donate a few DevCoins. Sorry for your loss, bro. (This seems really legit, actually.)

1. I know they label, they just don't make it clear what it is. I knew my brother had a peanut allergy, I always thought he would be able to eat peanut butter one day. It needs to be more clear.

2. I don't flame people, I post my own shit and when they don't agree with my idealism they talk shit. Then I talk shit back.
There will be a website and place for donations in the next few weeks.

owsleybeatsbigcartel

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:01:27 AM

I previously mentioned that it would totally make sense to finance hackathons, i.e. project which can be implemented in 48 hours. There are programmers who would not mind getting like $1000 for such hackathon, especially if it is fun... And if one of ten will be successful, it will pay off.
How is a hackathon any different from a writeathon or a poetry contest? Just because a lot of programmers produce a lot of code it does not mean that code will be worth any money. A lot of very valuable free software doesn't make any money for the programmers writing it. Bitcoin is really a change in the model and the reason I support the deflationary model of Bitcoin is because early adopters (beta testers) and the original programmers are getting rich now. To me that is how it's supposed to work when you invent something of value for the world.

Imagine if Satoshi were paid in Devcoins instead. If Satoshi had millions of Devcoins, or even billions, it just would not work because there is no reason to mine Devcoins when 90% of profits go to the developers. Ethicoin has the advantage here in that it's fairly distributed 50/50 which to me makes a lot of sense.
This isn't true, many Devcoin bounties were paid for

• software
  • open-source hardware
  • logo/banner designs
  • mining pools which offer an option to auto-exchange Bitcoins they mine into Devcoins
  • stock market to allow Devcoin-denominated assets

I suspect that mining stocks and other Devcoin-denominated securities had a significant impact on Devcoin market cap.

This is true, but it does not change the fact that it's easier for people to get paid writing for Devcoin because the bounty system isnt automated while Devtome is.

Particularly, this one: https://cryptostocks.com/securities/14 Ignore description, this is basically a Glari Mining Project (GMP) passthrough which pays Devcoins.

I suspect that when GMP will receive ASICs devcoin value might substantially go up...

And I'm saying it wont substatially go up. I know you have the masters degree in mathematics but lets see who is right. Our differences are philosophical and not based on abstract calculations. The statistics are what they are, the numbers are what they are, but I interpret them to mean something different. Let's find out who is right and if I'm wrong then I will eat my words but if you are wrong then perhaps you should consider a different model and consider my suggestion of a hard fork.

Anyway, Devcoin is pretty cool if you ignore everything about Devtome. It isn't about communism, it isn't about paying as many workers as possible. It is about providing capital for cool open-source projects.

If it's about paying as many workers as possible are you saying that people who produce code are somehow more valuable than people who write poems and books? I'm saying they are relatively the same because the nature of the work is relatively the same. This is why the pay should be relatively the same.

But you're under the impression that somehow if we turn all the writers into programmers that this will make any difference? It's still just people getting paid for language arts, it's not going to make any real difference. Devcoin isn't going to become more valuable just because some guys writing python and visual basic are making apps for Devcoins instead of a bunch of guys writing novels and poems. My argument is that Fin Shaggy has done more to popularize Devcoin than anyone else and he did it with his words, not writing code.

I think perhaps the problem with Devcoin is that it can only support a finite amount of writers and programmers at a time. That isn't how a market is supposed to work. When more people are willing to work, the pie isn't supposed to shrink. When productivity and quality increases the profits aren't supposed to shrink. That is what I see happening with Devtome. Devtome is more popular than ever, has higher quality works being produced than ever, yet the pay for each worker is going down?

This provides no further incentive for workers to improve quality, or produce better work. The same will apply to programmers, eventually the pay ceiling for programmers will be reached just as it is for writers and then no amount of innovation, hard work, or quality will transcend that ceiling.

That is the problem with Devcoin in the immediate future. Unless quality and innovation is rewarded then it's all going to fail. And no one said anything about communism, but the purpose of Devcoin and of an economy in general is to allow people to trade and in this case people want to trade writing because Devcoin currently supports only writing.

Bounties are going to be very limited. So basically you're saying Devcoin is always going to be a very small market which can't really grow too large or it stops working. That is why I say it's broken from the start.

DEVCOIN BEUING DELISTED >> WRITUN G PROJECT = SCAM
owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:10:20 AM

This post has been filled with differant discussion angles and slander towards devcoin - from:

Luckybit - joined Bitcointalk June 12 2013
Killerstorm - joined Bitcointalk June 12 2013
Owlsley.. - joined Bitcointalk June 12 2013
JessicaMILFson - - joined Bitcointalk June 11 2013

In fact the first three persons joined within eight minutes of each other. Any one want to wager me they are the same person? Please feel free to verify yourself by clicking on each of their profiles.

Fact is Devcoin is the first cryptocurrency that you can work for and get paid in. Maybe some one feels threatened by Devcoin and wants it to fail/get bad publicity?

ya how much you wanna lose!!!! ;-)WEEEEEE
owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:11:39 AM

This post has been filled with differant discussion angles and slander towards devcoin - from:

In fact the first three persons joined within eight minutes of each other. Any one want to wager me they are the same person? Please feel free to verify yourself by clicking on each of their profiles.

Fact is Devcoin is the first cryptocurrency that you can work for and get paid in. Maybe some one feels threatened by Devcoin and wants it to fail/get bad publicity?

only developers >> ponzi scheme lolzzz
FinShaggy

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:12:30 AM

My step sister is in Hawaii, who would like to link Devcoin to Hawaii Smiley

owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:21:15 AM

HOW MUCH DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE?
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:27:21 AM

1. Aware people that allergies are way more serious than they seem to be (packages need to be labeled like cigarettes, ex: "This product can kill you or your child if ingested", and possibly a big red "P" on any peanut product bag.

I'm really sorry for your loss man.  I'm getting some coins for round 23 now so I too will pitch some coins in for your brother.  God bless you!

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!
acs26

June 12, 2013, 05:30:22 AM

>Says DevCoin is a scam.

>Is the first person on this thread to say so, from the pages I've read.

>Other people say it.

>Accounts registered on the same day, eight minutes from each other. [Verified, and Owsley and Luckybit's wasn't eight minutes, actually none.]

>Seems legit.

Though, I fail to see your proof, and why you think it's a scam. I myself own DevCoins, and I don't see how they could be a scam. I've exchanged some, also.
owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:33:01 AM

>Says DevCoin is a scam.

>Other people say it.

>Accounts registered on the same day, eight minutes from each other. [Verified, and Owsley and Luckybit's wasn't eight minutes, actually none.]

>Seems legit.

Though, I fail to see your proof, and why you think it's a scam. I myself own DevCoins, and I don't see how they could be a scam. I've exchanged some, also.

i first caught wind reading a crypto exchange chat message ...creepy coin need i say more? we will find you
tadakaluri

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:35:00 AM

1. Aware people that allergies are way more serious than they seem to be (packages need to be labeled like cigarettes, ex: "This product can kill you or your child if ingested", and possibly a big red "P" on any peanut product bag.

Sorry for the LOSS.

I am from India and I can conduct any Charitable programs on behalf of you. So let me know what you are going to do with charity.
acs26

June 12, 2013, 05:35:53 AM

>Says DevCoin is a scam.

>Other people say it.

>Seems legit.

i first caught wind reading a crypto exchange chat message ...creepy coin need i say more? we will find you

What on Earth are you trying to say, or should I say type? I can't understand that....
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:37:12 AM

Notabot, I can't find your post, it disappeared.

At any rate, good catch.  On one hand maybe its the same guy as 8 minutes apart is a bit fishy, especially for 3 names with similar opinions.

On the other hand, a lot of new people have joined lately, me included so maybe that's a coincidence.

Thing about luckybit, he's not flaming like this new owsley guy.  His arguments are well thought out and they make a lot of sense.  What he says may end up coming true - it's definitely at least a possibility.

I too think there has to be some change as the current model cannot thrive in its current form - its simply not sustainable as too many people are signing up too fast while the value is going the wrong way, so one would expect talent to really go south.

It's only a theory but it makes sense as this is what one would expect in real life.  I don't know the solution but I do agree we should have a healthy debate about it and perhaps we'll find a solution.  

Because for sure many more coins are coming and devcoin only has a limited window of opportunity to grow and get its name out before a landslide of alt coins come over us all and bury devcoin in an avalanche of obscurity and mediocrity.

Regards,

Vlad

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:41:19 AM

Please ignore my post. I was looking at everyones profile starting with Owlsley and with all the crap going on got myself mixed up.

I can admit I made an error and do not mean to throw any ones character in a bad light. My apologies to any one I mentioned, apart from Owlsleytroll.

Lol.  Ditto.

I'm curious, we have lots of programmers and at least a hacker or two here.  I thought it was pretty easy to look someone's IP address up to see if there's multiple aliases coming from the same location.  That would be a dead giveaway.

owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:47:22 AM

Please ignore my post. I was looking at everyones profile starting with Owlsley and with all the crap going on got myself mixed up.

I can admit I made an error and do not mean to throw any ones character in a bad light. My apologies to any one I mentioned, apart from Owlsleytroll.

Lol.  Ditto.

I'm curious, we have lots of programmers and at least a hacker or two here.  I thought it was pretty easy to look someone's IP address up to see if there's multiple aliases coming from the same location.  That would be a dead giveaway.

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!! >>OR STFU
owsleybeatsbigcartel

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 05:48:26 AM

WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED? LOL
acs26

June 12, 2013, 05:49:12 AM

WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED? LOL

CAPS MAKE ME LOOK COOL, EVERYBODY USE CAPS. ABUSE DEM CAPS.
Pages: « 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: