Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:14:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412870 times)
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1530

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 07:46:52 AM

[/quote]
 0.734.... number you refer to. AFAIK this refers to the proportion of the total you will receive. (in your case = 180m x 0.734, although that doesn;t equate with '10' so assume at least one is a hypothetical).
[/quote]

I stand corrected, I checked again since you pointed out that number would be much too high and yes, it's not .07something but rather a much smaller number .03something.  So you think this number is the % of the 180 Million shares?  That can't be the case cause that would be 3% and that just seems too high.  We'll have to see.

For some reason I thought once the tabulation for round 23 was done the "coinage" went out in a day or two.  I didn't realize it took several weeks until the block reaches a certain point.  It's good to know either way so thank you, but I was looking forward to seeing something pop into my devcoin wallet as if it were magic only different cause magic sucks cause it's fake.

That said, what other coins do you guys feel are worth buying right now, risk-wise?  What about IXcoin, for some reason I like that coin but it's not objective as I've done no research on it so I can't trust my feelings enough to put money on it and what about this new coin, cnCoin, is that chinacoin?  Is it made at foxconn?  lol.   The spread on cncoin is insane, the ask is 10 while the bid is around .00004.  lol.  And what happened to the price of devcoin?  I paid .00041 just 2 weeks ago and now it's almost half that?  I didn't think it was possible for it to go much lower than that but I guess dilution has that effect on stocks so why not fiat currencies.  I really really tried mining and it was just utterly pointless and hopeless, at least with litecoin.  But I also don't want to put too much hard earned money in very speculative coins in case my thesis is wrong and this all implodes sooner than later, which of course, I don't think will happen and on the contrary, we should see a massive swing of the population pendulum swing in our favor of popularity and awareness and like all pendulums, this one also will swing too far the other way and drive prices into an unbelievable stratospheric realm of disbelief.

Does anybody here know the long term plan of the makers/owners of devcoin?  Well, who are they, does anybody know or are they anonymous like Bitcoin?  Reason I'm asking is it would be nice if and what the long-term plan is because it's very kamikaze and American-like to keep printing new coins at the rate of 180 million per round.  I understand the scope and goal of helping others such as developers but it would  be more efficient to raise awareness and raise the price of the coin so that you don't have to sell as many dilutive coins every month.  Just a ten cent price would do miracles for devcoin as far as not having to release as many coins every month.  Cause at this rate in just another year or two devcoin will literally have no more value - there's only so many zeros one can place behind the dot (.) and still be perceived as valuable.  There must be a way - a way to raise awareness to keep the dilution of devcoin down to a minimum.   I'm doing my share, I tell everyone about it and I've already bought some and I placed an order to buy more today but not enough people out there know about it and that's what's needed. 

Perhaps a new thread needs to be started with the purpose of brainstorming feasible ideas to help raise awareness of devcoin.  I think we have enough smart and imaginative people here that we would get some decent ideas and maybe, just maybe one will be the one that will change everything.  But first devcoin does need a really cool and unique coin and logo.  No limits as the new devcoin doesn't have to be carried in a pocket - it's all digital so when one thinks of and designs the new devcoin let your imagination be limitless.  No, the limitless pill has not yet been developed, it was just a movie gimmick.

iXcoin - Welcome to the F U T U R E!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 08:14:30 AM

Unthinkingbit invented DeVCoin and basically "hired" me (bounties, in bitcoin) to help him with some aspects of the bitcoin code.

First we did some experiments using GRouPcoin, which we created to try some ideas with, then once we had figured out how exactly to do DeVCoin GRouPcoin became just a simple 50 coins per block forever coin while DeVCoin became 50,000 coins per block forever but with 90% of the coins minted going to the "receivers" listed in the "receiver" files.

The original plan had been that once we moved to using merged mining 95% of the coins would go to the "receivers" since with merged mining it really does not cost miners much at all to mine a scondary chain; but that never happened and we still even hear miners complain now and again at getting a full 10% of the coins instead of the planned 5% they would have got according to the earlier plan.

As to what other coins to buy I don't know, I have tried to buy Litecoins, Namecoins and PPCoins at vircurex but when I put a buy order someone moves their by a satoshi above mine when I move mine a satoshi above theirs they move theirs again and so on, so I just stopped bothering to try. But, I already have some of each from having mined them at some point so I am not really all that determined to buy them anyway at current prices. I was putting in buy orders because of the large spread, as I figured hey if I get them the spread is large enough I can turn around and put them back in on the sell-order side and profit.

I think the best profits are to be had in coins so easy to mine that you can mine them with CPUs, BBQcoin, Tenebrix and Fairbrix were like that for a year or even a couple of years, then BBQcoin got popular, GPU people jumped back on it, the difficulty got way to high for CPUs, and they started selling at nice prices, selling only a few million I was able to do very well. Now tonight suddenly their price seems to have rallied too, so another few hundred thousand I had had sitting up above the cheap prices they had fallen to got snapped up in the last few hours. So I am very pleased with BBQcoin and looking forward to updating the codebases of Tenebrix and Fairbrix and seeing them on an exchange some day.

Then too, I0Coin and CoiLedCoin and GeistGeld are all very low difficulty, they are merged mined but so low difficulty just one GPU can pick up plenty of them, heck one GPU also picks up plenty of GRouPcoin which is also merged mined right alongside the rest. The bitcoins pay for the electricity and also, eventually, even the GPU and the machine the GPU is in, and all the other coins are pure gravy. Lovely rich delicious gravy!

Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 08:56:03 AM

MarkM,

Thanks so much for the insight.  Most of the coins you mentioned at the bottom of your post I've never heard of.  I'm an econ guy so all this software stuff confuses me.  Which coins can still be mined easily with a CPU?  and where do I get the miner but oh please, let it be an easy miner to use. 

I think the day will come (6-12) months when millions of people will start mining but right now you have to be very computer literate which I thought I was until I tried mining conis about 30 days ago.  I even bought a new computer and then took it back cause I was only able to do half of 1 litecoin for every 24 hours with dual 7850 ATI cards which was a joke. 

I don't care which coins I mine, I think they'll all go up eventually but I cannot find them and I cannot seem to get the miners to work for any of them except bitcoin (which is a lost cause) and litecoin which is also too late for that.  I don' t even know how to mine devcoin which I'll gladly do for 10% but can't seem to get the software working and the difficulty is so high and I have no idea why if nobody is mining for them.

I really can't believe unthinkingbit is the founder of devcoin - how in the world did I manage to bomb that guy out of everyone out here?  I'm so new at this and I had such a hard time posting my articles that the entire weekend I bombed him with so many ridiculous questions.  It was like a kid asking how to use the toilet but to me this is all new and pretty complicated. 

So if you guys wanna bring in the masses you first need to program an easy one-button push miner that works on most PC's.  Most people give up after not getting anywhere after a day or two.  I kept going and trying and I finally got my computer to mine litecoins but it was very difficult software wise.  there's just so much to it, the learning curve is too steep for 99% of the population.

Butterfly Labs may fix that with their rigs if they ever ship and I ordered 2 5GH ones but they only mine bitcoin which makes me sad cause I wanna go after every other coin nobody wants.

I see this is a once in a lifetime opportunity but I'm breaking my wallet and my mind trying to get coins and it's next to impossible.

Finally, unthinkingbit must have a long-term plan for devcoin cause out of all the coins this was my second pick over all from the beginning before I knew anything.  My 2nd pick to make it - long-term.  It was all intuition, something I've proved to be good at but not always correct.  My first pick was namecoin but by the time I got around to reading and buying a high end computer namecoin went up 1,000 fold.  it's now too late for that coin too so now I'm' on to my 2nd choice. 

There's something about devcoin that really peaks my interest but I can't put my finger on it.  One incredibly unique thing is that it is a stock/fiat currency hybrid.  I'm trying to coin a name for it because I think this is truly going to become part of a new thing, a new market.  A fiat currency that for once works for you and not against you (paying interest).  A currency which is invested and perpetuated via a vast and complex net of individuals with various talents and it's only a matter of time before some of those individuals bare fruit and then that fruit is partially distributed amongst the holders of that particular coin, devcoin.  So in this regard devcoin is like a stock but I simply don't see a business plan or a long term plan.

And I don't see any type of binding contract to bind all of the various individuals being paid by devcoin in return for their services whether it's writing, art, design, etc.  And the dilution, there has to be some plan to slow that down because eventually it will dilute devcoin into non-existence and a good reputation is worth its weight in gold.  If devcoin succeeds even on a small scale then you can start devcoin 2.0 cause when it comes to buying currencies the first thing investors look at is the risk of fraud and for that you need someone who has done it before and didn't bail on the stakeholders. 

Very interesting indeed - I hope timing and chance will happen in the next few months for devcoin as I strongly feel this entire alternative market is on a near immediate collision course with destiny and once that happens any and every coin will go up like no stocks have ever done and I watched AOL split 7 times in 1 decade and DELL go up in value 54,000% in 9 years (91-2000) but like namecoin proved, these digital currencies can outoutperfrom any stock in the history of mankind and it's only a matter of time before money managers and the public at large realize it and then the buying will ensue en masse and the good news for the early risk taking visionaries is that we're already in (I don't plan to sell a single coin until what I believe will happen actually happens) and the masses will simply not find enough coins to go around which will cause serious "irrational exhuberance" which will then create hundreds of new currencies by every developer who wants to get rich overnight, but in the end, just like in the early stages of the auto industry and the dot com era, only a few survive, the ones with a long term plan, the ones with vision, stability and of course, sufficient funding.

I truly hope devcoin will prove me right and be the next coin that really takes off since namecoin has already done so although, incredibly, it did it without ever blasting by $1 by much.  The one saving grace which may turn out to be what saves devcoin in the end, given its constant dilution, is its large userbase - I'm presuming devcoin has thousands or maybe tens of thousands of individuals who hold some devcoins.  If true, that's a feat no other digital coin has accomplished, not even Bitcoin as Bitcoin is too expensive for the majority of the people. 

Man, these long posts take serious time away from my writing.  Besides bying devcoins that's the only other way I can earn them so back to work I go - late night is my only chance to write.

For now I'll do what I can to accumulate devcoins since the other coins either cost too much or I'm not able to figure out the software to mine them.  Thanks for your input and  good luck to you and unthinkingbit.

regards,

Vlad

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 09:07:24 AM

Everyone seems to be back on the "mining is the main thing / mining is the main appeal" trip about cryptocoins, but really mining is just the industrial underbelly, the 24/7 datacentres crunching numbers all day and all night to keep the transactions moving.

The mining "appliances" do make it pretty easy to mine at a pool, but for whatever reason most miners do not bother to pick a pool that merges secondary chains, and few pools bother to merge any secondary chains at all.

Part of the reason for that is probably the lack of free open source software that supports sharing out the merged mined coins.

p2pool makes merged mining easy, but p2pool is intended to be used by individual miners. It has kind of minimal or even token support for allowing third party miners to use your running instance of p2pool, giving them their share (optionally minus a percentage fee) of the primary chain, but to use it for merged mining really you should run it yourself, which is how it was originally intended to be used anyway. It was supposed to make "centralised" pools un-necessary by enabling each miner to be a node in a de-centralised pool.

So maybe if miners do get interested in merged mining, that interest will lead them to use p2pool the way it was originally designed and intended to be used: as a decentralised tool to let individual miners get the advantage of a pool on their primary chain so not have to use "centralised" pools...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:26:15 AM

0.734.... number you refer to. AFAIK this refers to the proportion of the total you will receive. (in your case = 180m x 0.734, although that doesn;t equate with '10' so assume at least one is a hypothetical).

I stand corrected, I checked again since you pointed out that number would be much too high and yes, it's not .07something but rather a much smaller number .03something.  So you think this number is the % of the 180 Million shares?  That can't be the case cause that would be 3% and that just seems too high.  We'll have to see. ...

sorry I meant 0.0734 not 0.734, but yes this means if your count amounts to 0.03something that equates to around 3% of 180m. As it becomes more popular one's proportion of the total will be smaller -. the relationship between word count and payout is a function of total word count as well as your own. If I'm understanding things correctly I think a 'share' can be deduced by [share proportion/(wordcount/1000)], but I may be wrong and I'm sure unthinkingbit will update the files in time with more detail.

On 'other' coins, I have no idea. I've made some btc by trading them but don't hold any long term except dvc. I find the problems similar to markm, it's trading against bots working spreads, also that to daytrade them you have to watch the market all the time, something I don't have time for. Frankly I've been lucky - pretty much schadenfraude trading - buying then selling when problems appeared and that information wasn't widely known, contrarian buying and selling because generally assets only price a piece of news once despite rumour reiterations etc. Honestly aside from dvc and btc because they're intertwined in realising returns, perhaps including dvc and btc, at this point they're just numbers on a screen. I think this forum forgets sometimes quite how abstract these concepts are to most people; downloading a wallet, a blockchain, mining, trading exchanges - these notions are completely alien to most. I think cryptocurrencies are revolutionary but it will be a long journey and I'm not sure at all we've yet seen the one(s) that will persist; as a not very techie person dvc is the only broad concept that I can explain to people and that makes sense to a general audience which is why I support it.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:32:19 AM

I get the work count from https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/devtome_23.csv which states weighted word count too
But yeah you should be right, thanks for pointing that out
Looks like your 1095 were counted as a share in round 22: https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/devtome_22.csv

Have you given unthinkingbit a dvc address as that round is being paid now. There seems to have been a problem with devda wallets, if you have one take a look at some messages earlier today/yesterday about getting around it.
Actually it's not about the payment, which is ok, it's a wallet address
It's about the file that Unthinkingbit posted earlier: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg2129211#msg2129211. I'm not there and I wondered why
because that file refers to round 23 word earnings and your word count was in round 22 (which is why in the original round 23 file you posted...
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/devtome_23.csv
...you have one share as 'Previous Cumulative Payout' rather than 'Payout'
Ok I see, I thought the post was cumulative, thanks

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 10:12:46 AM

Love the idea of Devcoin, the Feathercoin community wishes you continued success.

There's too many coins to do deep research on all of them but so far, while reading up on various coins such as namecoin, bitcoin and devcoin, I haven't heard positive things about 2 coins:  feathercoin and freicoin.  Wait, I have to throw in china coin and Russia coin but the latter two are self explanatory:  hacks, hackers, scams and frauds come out en masse from those 2 countries.

But it sounds like you're all for feathercoin so if you could, in a short-ish post, tell me what you like about it, its positive attributes, its negative characteristics, who the owner(s) is/are, what's their goal (if they have one), what's their scope (if there is one) how many coins are allotted every month, until what date, what's the maximum total at the end of its life cycle, etc.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 10:22:19 AM

yo vlad post this in devtome and you'll be rich Wink

lol, you mean that long-ish post above?  I got a little carried away which is hard not to do when talking about anything digital cash.

but that post can't be more than 500 words, and although I could use all the help I could get that's just not that much coin-wise.  And I try to write stuff that will propagate the devcoin agenda.  It has to be stuff that is at least interesting in nature, writings which people wanna read or are at the very least informative and if at all possible in my mind at least, they should be about digital coins and or devcoins.

I went through the list of articles posted on devtome and I think the rules are just too laxed.  I mean there's stuff on there that has nothing to do with anything related to anything in this universe - complete nothingness.  lol, I know that's not possible but my point is there's too much nothing being written and I don't wanna add to that for the sake of racking up numbers for coins.

Right now I'm writing a paper about my childhood - I almost didn't do it cause it's not about money, economics or coins but the more I thought about it the more I realized that my childhood is truly unique to anyone who was born and raised in America so that would at least make t interesting and I think that's the idea, trying to get people to read this stuff or else what's the point.

but thanks anyway....appreciate it.  good luck to you.

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 10:37:44 AM

So maybe if miners do get interested in merged mining, that interest will lead them to use p2pool the way it was originally designed and intended to be used: as a decentralised tool to let individual miners get the advantage of a pool on their primary chain so not have to use "centralised" pools...

-MarkM-

I truly wish I knew how to mine the way you're making it sound so easy to do.  I signed up with a pool site cause I was told that would be much easier.  it's give-me-ltc and they say it's one of the best pool mining sites.  well, it's worthless even with  new dual GPU $1700 computer.  So if anybody knows of an easier way to mine any coin, really - any type of coin and especially if one can use CPU instead of GPU that would be amazing especially if the mining software would be user friendly for like a normal human being cause it seems most people on here just assume everyone on the planet knows what's happening right now with coin mining.  It's a complete mistery and the people I've told to mine take one look at it and they get so confused they just give up.   I'm glad I didn't give up - after 30 days and losing lots of cash on a useless computer at least I found a way now to earn devcoins.  Had I given up back then I wouldn't even have this much, plus what I paid for as far as buying a few various coins on vircurex which isn't much. 

Somebody out there (ie butterfly labs) is gonna get very rich by making it easy to mine.  But it doesn't have to be a complete solution - I would pay $50 for a software download that would easily allow me to mine a number of various coins easily and without the hassle it now is.  Millions of Americans would pay that kind of money just for the cjance at mining coins and this window of opportunity won't stay open for long cause just like bitcoins, once too many people start looking for the same thing it then becomes nearly impossible to find.  So here I am, writing papers in the middle of the night cause it's easier than mining for me, at least until butterfly labs comes through or somebody writes a user friendly program and makes millions selling it.

I wish so much I had gone to programming school instead of economics - good banking jobs are so hard to find while as a programmer you can now create your own planet if your talent matches your skills.  Daring new world we're living in - it's gonna turn a lot of things upside down and create massive new wealth until uncle sam takes it all over and makes it theirs. 

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 11:56:46 AM

This post is for guys like MarkM, UnthinkingBit, FuzzyBear, and anyone else who's a real programmer or natural with programming.  

I was on vacation back home in Eastern Europe a few months ago and sitting there in a café I met this young kid, maybe 18 years old.  Never went to school for programming, just a few high school courses and he and his friends were telling me how he hacked into a major US govt institution - it was either NASA or the Pentagon but something big.  I was amazed at the talent this kid had just out of nowhere but he did nothing with it.  And now, cause he had a "file" the way it's called over there he's not allowed to go to college since all colleges are still state  owned.  So this poor ultra talented kid will never see his talents come to fruition.  So what happened was the feds finally found him but google supposedly bailed him out, paid the feds roughly $360,000 which is what it cost them to investigate him and also kept him out of prison.   So now he works for google for something like $500 per month and let's face it how good can this kid get if he can't ever go to college.  

I'm getting to my point and I wanna hurry cause I've been up all night trying to finish a piece but I keep reading these posts and can't help but respond.  My dad (and our whole family) was an immigrant and he came to America hungry, in every way you can imagine.  lol.  So he worked hard and worked his way up and went to college and became an electronics engineer.  But what my dad lacked and in going to school I noticed this poor trait to be present in engineers, programmers, economists (like me) and basically anyone really good at math and science - and that is a lack of common sense.  If you notice the guy running engineering teams is usually not en engineer, that's what ive seen and the CEO's of many tech companies are not engineers, and that's because these marketing types of people who are coincidentally bad at math and science have common sense and they know what needs to be done with the genius things smart, math and computer smart people build.  

The Woz would have played on his little computer he invented until now if it were not for Jobs who was not a math and science guy.  I truly wish I were a programmer cause I can see what's going on and I can see what's coming (it's as clear as day in my mind) but I can't program and all you guys, who I have to assume are talented and very good programmers, like that genius kid in Romania, have created an entire new industry but you don't know what to do with it.  Imagine the Woz creating a computer but making it so difficult to use that even if it was free nobody would want it.

That's what digital coins are.  The entire planet will soon find out about them and will want them but there's no way to get them cause mining now requires very expensive hardware but that's not the problem, 10% of Americans would spend the money, I did and I'm not even working right now, but the software, that's the real problem, it's so difficult with all the varioius pools and all the various mining programs to get the right one and it never works until you mess with it for days and most people just aren't good enough with computers or software to do that.  So then the only thing left is to buy coins on the exhanges.  problem with that is americans are scared people - they don't like risk.  most would never buy off an exchange like vircurex that's been attacked and down twice in 45 days.  And most americans won't buy coins until they feel it's safe.  

So why don't a few of you smart guys who are obviously good programmers write some code for mining programs that will work with any PC or at least a higher end PC.  It can't be harder than hacking into NASA or the pentagon.  laborsome, perhaps, but not more difficult.  I guarantee you the flood gates will open and people will easily pay $50 for a download they can trust or a disk with a software that makes mining easy.  and once you do that you have done 2 HUGE things:  a) you have brought digital coins to the masses for free (while making a killing off selling a $50 DVD) and b) you will make yourselves crazy rich cause as 5 million or 10 million mine your coins that will make them more rare and as more people mine them successfully they will brag about it and it will catch fire and this will lead to a massive explosion in mass acceptance as well as the price in many of the coins being mined.

Cause I really don't understand, you guys have a product and you want everyone to get a piece of it because that kind of popularity will lead to mass acceptance but when a normal person off the street tries to find these coins, any coins, in just a few days they find out that's it's practically impossible.  If you guys are real programmers and it seems that you are and good ones at that why in the world don't you have a download somewhere on this site for a miner which downloads devcoins?  A simple download where any computer illiterate guy can just push a button and that's it.  Why not make devcoin the first easily mined coin cause right now there is no such thing.  you guys might think it's easy but in the real world in every job I've had I was considered computer literate and quite often I was the guy in charge of training the other teams on new proprietary software because I leanred it the quickest and let me tell you, it's been a month and this stuff is still confusing to me and out of all the coins I tried to mine I was only able to mine litecoin which was a failure.

Devcoin's problem from a business standpoint is that it has too many coins and this kills the value and this is only going to get worse.  How long would it take to write a program for an easy to use miner and just put it out there.  once it gets popular you can even charge for it.  The more people own devcoins the less devcoins are floating around, and the more popular they become the more people talk about them and it becomes a self propagating system where it sustains itself and once that happens the price of devcoins has only one way to go:  up.  how much higher depends on the speed and traction it gains and I personally think it's gonna be fast and furious.  

Listen, this thing is now out and it cannot be stopped.  All the powers that be want digital money to work, including, especially the govt.  privacy groups can fight it but it's inevitable and eventually someone is gonna make it easy cause the market is there and the people, once they realize this is a real thing, will want and will look for an easy solution.  So why not be the first guys to offer that easy download for devcoins.  Here, you want free money, here's the program to do it.  Nothing like this has ever existed - there's no such business model where you literally give away a free product and everybody gets rich.  It's so good that it's crazy but that's what happened with bitcoin.  But bitcoin had very few shares and they got lucky with a few people with money wanting the coins at the same time and once the price spiked the media picked up on it and started reporting which just fed the frenzy.  

So how hard would it be to write a mining program for anyone to use?  How hard would it be to let 5, 10 million people mine a few thousand devcoins on their computers, to let them feel like they're working for those coins so they can value them more than if you just gave them away.  Do that and the excess supply of devcoins on the market will dry up and the price will spike - it's simple supply and demand and then you won't have to dilute the living daylights out of devcoin to help developers, you'll be able to help many more people with many less shares.  This entire digital money idea is about empowering people, well that's impossible if there's a huge obstacle in the way called crazy complex software and pitfalls (viruses) so if there's a way to make it easy for everyone then that's the way to do it - do that and devcoin will be a whole different animal in just 6 months.

I have nothing to gain from this cause I'm just now starting to gain and buy some coins (so for me, personally, all this would be better to start in a few months so I have time to buy and accumulate more devcoins)  but I would still love to see this thing take off like a rocket and if that happens many other coins will follow.  This is only the beginning, I expect to see hundreds of digital currencies as more top end developers see the true potential and I gurantee some of those guys will have a business/marketing guy on the team who will naturally wanna make it easy for the masses in order to make their currency the mass defacto, the standard currency for the masses as bitcoin can't do it since there's not nearly enough coins to go around.  Nobody seems to be seeing the big picture.  Digital Money will be for the masses, one way or another, this is too good for too many governments and billion dollar corporations to ever go back to sleep and pretend it never happened.   I hope this can be done cause it would put devcoin well ahead of all the other currencies where their founders are just waiting, waiting for the market to come to them when the market is full of illiterates....computer illiterates that is and they simply can't do it even if they wanted to.  From what I've seen in stocks over the past 20 years in the stock market and from what I'm seeing on the economic and socio-political stage, digital money is maximum 1 year, maybe 2 from mass adoption which means it all has to start in a big way very very soon.   Devcoin can be that first big coin for the masses - just make it easy to get to, easy to mine until real and trustworthy exchanges like coinbase are up and running which shouldn't take more than 1 year either.  Everthing points to the same timeframe - 1 to 2 years for mass adoption.  

I'm exhausted so I'm going to bed, hopefully I can finish my paper tomorrow.  Good luck to everyone and good luck to devcoin (dCoin) regardless of what happens.

regards,

Vlad

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 12:04:10 PM

Hi guys,

I have tried try to put togheter what a Devcoin LOGO seems should be:

- look like a USD, but not too much
- resemble a btc, but not too much
- resemble a coin
- contain mainly green, but still ...envying the golden color of btc
- simple, but nice

Well,  This is my new idea.

What do you think about it?

It's cool man but nothing that makes my jaw drop or makes me feel like, YEAH, YEAH, THAT'S IT.   sorry, it kind of looks like a toy.  No offense, the Euro looked like toy money when I first saw it.  And it's not up to me, it's up to the guys that own devcoin.  I have 2 variations of the coin I'm working on and I'm trying to make them both look truly unique from anything else I've seen but I'm down to the CGI part, the coloring and designing the surface part where it takes real talent or photoshop talent and I've got neither.  It took me a full night, 12 straight hours just to put together the drawings of the shape and rought look of the coins.  Something like that by a guy who can draw would have been a half hour job.   I can't even focus on writing articles casue I keep thinking about these dang coins which don't even pay out much I just wanna do it cause I really want something different and unique and not another Bitcoin copy cat logo which is what most digital coins out there are.  As a new buyer, when I was trying to pick the next big coin the main thing I looked at was the design cause the design of the coin also tells you about the kind of creativity and imagination of the guys running that coin and so you can really pick a winner just by how a product, or in this case, a coin looks cause it speaks volumes about the minds behind the whole thing.  And that coin looks like a coin that should be used on either krypton or the planet the green lantern is from but definitely not earth and it's too much like the dollar.  I think the idea should be NEW.  totally NEW, the only resemblance it should have to money is just enough so people can recognize it as an actual coin but that's it.  Good luck.

That's it, I'm really going to bed now.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 12:07:27 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 11:46:34 PM by markm

We would be using up people's electricity uselessly.

It would be cheaper to buy the coins than to pay the electric bill for pathetically trying to mine them.

Because the difficulty would always be too high for them.

It takes special equipment, expensive equipment, to do that kind of just plug it in and it goes mining.

Even without "the masses" mining already mining gets to hard too fast.

GPUs are heading toward being obsolete, some folks are only even selling anyone else ASICs because it would be bad public relations to control more than half the network's hashing power.

You have totally the wrong idea about this mining thing. Better for the masses to have would be point of sales systems that are really simple or something like that. Something that makes it really easy for their business to accept cryptocoins.

-MarkM-

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 12:12:13 PM

One last question.

If your coin is the winner, do you as the creator of the coin lose all rights to it?  I for one would feel real physical pain to give up all the rights.  I would like to keep just a token percentage, like 1%, just 1% ownership in the actual coin itself would be plenty to me.  I think back to people who sold amazing logos for nothing and never thought to keep something small just as a token of their creativity.  Like the Nike Logo Phil knight bought from one of his accounting students at PSU, for something like $5.  What was that guy thinking, did he need that $5 that badly.  Why not say, ok, $5, but Ill always wanna be attached to it by just a small tiny token 1%.  that's neither greedy nor unfair to ask for 1% ownership in the coin itself.  

Vlad2Vlad
Legendary

www.ixcoin.net

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 12:22:02 PM

We would be using up people's electricity uselessly.

It would be cheaper to buy the coins than to pay the electric bill for pathetically trying to mine them.

Because the difficulty would always be too high for them.

It takes special equipment, expensive equipment, to do that kind of just plug it in and it goes mining.

Even without "the masses" mining already mining gets to hard too fast.

GPUs are heading toward being obsolete, some folks are only even selling anyone else ASICs because it would be bad public relations to control more than half the network's hashing power.

You have totally the wrong idea about this mining thing. Better for the masses to have would be point of sales systems that are really simple or something like that. SOmething that makes it really easy for their business to accept cryptocoins.

-MarkM-

the point of sale hardware is almost all ready, as NFC has been going full throttle for over 3 years now and even most smartphones can now store financial data like crypto coins.  so that's not a problem.  people getting coins is the hard part.  and most americans will not wire money to Poland to vircurex when they read they were hacked and taken down twice in less than 2 months.  so how will they get their coins.  if mining is not possible then ok, I didn't realize that.  perhaps a better hardware solution will come up like butterfly labs or maybe that phase is all over with and people will have to wait for coinbase to start selling and trading coins and at that point americans will definitely buy coins like they do stocks, there's millions of speculative stock buyers in the US and it would only take a fraction of them to add digitial coins to their portfolios to move all coins up fast.  but for that you need a credible exchange and one doesn't exist, not good enough to handle that kind of volume and to not get hacked or crashed.  but the $5 million coinbase got just in the last week will make a huge difference in 6 months.  I opened an account and in under 10 minutes I was all hooked up with my checking account online and a free app which generates a new key code every 20 seconds.  nobody offers anything like that.  coinbase will definitely be the first top, big and premier tier one digital exchange so I can't wait for them to be really up and running trading every coin out there.  So I'm sad to hear the mining possibility is over cause that was the best and easiest way to get one's coins in the hands of the masses.  But that's ok cause that was just the first phase from a business standpoint.   Thanks for the correction, I'm still learning and there's a lot I don't know from a tech point of view.

Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 02:20:42 PM

Please write to:
http://lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=88
and ask them to accept Devcoin.

More Info covered by RT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=49p0cZEisTA

https://devda.ch/node/25

Thanks Smiley

bobbit

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:46:25 PM

Devcoin now live for trading at https://mcxnow.com/exchange/DVC
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:47:53 PM

Devcoin now live for trading at https://mcxnow.com/exchange/DVC

Time to crack the champagne or your favourite non alcoholic beverage  Grin

Way to go mcxnow!!
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:12:00 PM

Let the party begin!  Grin

It's just awesome that Devcoin now has more than one exchange to rely on for trading. It's the start of bigger things  Wink
Bitcoin!

Activity: 768
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:24:02 PM

Devcoin tarded on mcxnow.com

_///// [XVG] ★★★★★WE ARE ON  THE VERGE ★★★★★ [SCRYPT] /////_
_//// TOR // I2P // LINUX . WINDOWS . MAC . ANDROID . ELECTRUM . WEBWALLET . GITHUB // WEBSITE // RADIO // IRC ////_
Report to moderator 
_///// [XVG] ★★★★★WE ARE ON  THE VERGE ★★★★★ [SCRYPT] /////_
_//// TOR // I2P // LINUX . WINDOWS . MAC . ANDROID . ELECTRUM . WEBWALLET . GITHUB // WEBSITE // RADIO // IRC ////_
Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 05:46:48 PM

Bitcoins!
We are coming... and we are billions.

Thanks for the new logo. When you settle on your final logo, please make a post to that effect, which I'll link to from the gallery. In that post, also include all your logos as separate images so people can see and perhaps build off any of your past images.

The community will end up choosing one logo out of the first fifteen put forth:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg1319359#msg1319359

Pages: « 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: