Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:39:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... 362 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Wall Observer - the Quality TA Thread ;)  (Read 907160 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Queeq

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 09:42:13 AM

All of the above arguments could also be applied to dot-coms when they were in their early stages. I'm sure early adopters were as ecstatic as BTC early adopters. So it must not be a surprise when bubble crashes sooner or later, before cryptocurrencies become as usual as Internet.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shields

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 11:27:48 AM

All of the above arguments could also be applied to dot-coms when they were in their early stages. I'm sure early adopters were as ecstatic as BTC early adopters. So it must not be a surprise when bubble crashes sooner or later, before cryptocurrencies become as usual as Internet.

But the dot-coms were companies not the technology. The success of the internet itself never faltered, it's just that people scrambled to speculate on companies to capitalise on it, and some terrible or highly risky companies got too much money. It's easier to say Bitcoin itself will succeed than it is to say that blockchain.info or coinbase will be the next google. There's also another dimension to crypto in that there can be an alt-coin bubble in parallel.

So, with the dot-com bubble, pets.com is often used an example of the crash. The pets.com of crypto could be a company (e.g. gox), or it could be an alt coin (e.g. litecoin), but it's not crypto itself. Just as HTTP and SMTP (email) went from strength to strength, so will crypto.  

On the otherhand there is a possibility that another crypto overtakes Bitcoin, but this won't happen overnight, and any Bitcoin holders would have plenty of time to diversify towards the alternative before suffering any real loss.

If you liked this post -> 1KRYhandiYsjecZw7mtdLnoeuKUYoGRkH4
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 11:41:48 AM

But the dot-coms were companies not the technology. The success of the internet itself never faltered, it's just that people scrambled to speculate on companies to capitalise on it, and some terrible or highly risky companies got too much money. It's easier to say Bitcoin itself will succeed than it is to say that blockchain.info or coinbase will be the next google. There's also another dimension to crypto in that there can be an alt-coin bubble in parallel.

So, with the dot-com bubble, pets.com is often used an example of the crash. The pets.com of crypto could be a company (e.g. gox), or it could be an alt coin (e.g. litecoin), but it's not crypto itself. Just as HTTP and SMTP (email) went from strength to strength, so will crypto.  

On the otherhand there is a possibility that another crypto overtakes Bitcoin, but this won't happen overnight, and any Bitcoin holders would have plenty of time to diversify towards the alternative before suffering any real loss.

Emphasized for emphasis.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:29:27 PM

Emphasized for emphasis.

They will likely speak of a "crypto bubble" sometime soon, emphasizing the failure of all other cryptos (and implying a failure of bitcoin as well, most likely just after a peak during a bear market). But indeed bitcoin will be like the internet. It will continue and it won't care what happens around it. And they will surely make reference to the dot com bubble. Bad news sells, good news does not.

And with the millions upon millions invested in bitcoin I doubt anyone will seriously even think about switching to a different crypto. It's not as easy as pressing "delete myspace account" and "welcome to facebook".
shields

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 01:29:45 PM

Emphasized for emphasis.

They will likely speak of a "crypto bubble" sometime soon, emphasizing the failure of all other cryptos (and implying a failure of bitcoin as well, most likely just after a peak during a bear market). But indeed bitcoin will be like the internet. It will continue and it won't care what happens around it. And they will surely make reference to the dot com bubble. Bad news sells, good news does not.
The Bitcoin 'bubble' has already done the media cycle at least twice, sentiment is starting to change, it's no longer treated as a fad so much. Other crytpos aren't really even on the media radar tbh.

And with the millions upon millions invested in bitcoin I doubt anyone will seriously even think about switching to a different crypto. It's not as easy as pressing "delete myspace account" and "welcome to facebook".
Well i think it is as easy, I can with a single click trade all my Bitcoins for any other alt currency on an exchange instantly. What is important is that it would take a catastrophic event to cause a critical mass of people to do this in the same time frameframe, and to the same alt coin. It's possible, just really unlikely.

If you liked this post -> 1KRYhandiYsjecZw7mtdLnoeuKUYoGRkH4
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 01:47:09 PM

3 fundamentals of production, decentralized:

1. Information: What to build, how to build it efficiently, how to market your product  (Web)
2. Exchange: How to efficiently get value for your product (Bitcoin)
3. Fabrication: efficiently constructing the product (3d printing baby steps)
Vanderi

Activity: 283

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:00:49 PM

Hey all and regards to Risto my fellow countryman Smiley

I have a question for the good readers and writers of this quality thread.

Elsewhere on these forums I read that a son to a (oil) billionaire got tasked by his father to look into Bitcoin. The result was interesting - he had to advice his father against it, as it was "too transparent". They didn't want other people to know what they invested in and where and when they bought their local coffee.
Even if the story is hearsay, I can relate to a son of a billionaire thinking that way.

What are your thoughts regarding this? How come bitcoin still keeps raking in success after success, when people will lose a large portion of their privacy along with using it?
And finally, how can the general consensus be so one-eyed to think that "mostly criminals or shady dealers will use anonymous coins"? In my country, cash is used almost as widely as cards and nooone, repeat noone will raise a brow if you pull out bills from your pocket. Which are -anonymous-! currency.

Regards,
pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:14:35 PM

Elsewhere on these forums I read that a son to a (oil) billionaire got tasked by his father to look into Bitcoin. The result was interesting - he had to advice his father against it, as it was "too transparent". They didn't want other people to know what they invested in and where and when they bought their local coffee.
Even if the story is hearsay, I can relate to a son of a billionaire thinking that way.

What are your thoughts regarding this? How come bitcoin still keeps raking in success after success, when people will lose a large portion of their privacy along with using it?
And finally, how can the general consensus be so one-eyed to think that "mostly criminals or shady dealers will use anonymous coins"? In my country, cash is used almost as widely as cards and nooone, repeat noone will raise a brow if you pull out bills from your pocket. Which are -anonymous-! currency.

Regards,

We need Monero or Zerocash to go mainstream for privacy. Bitcoin will be more about accountability it seems.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:17:12 PM

1. Information: What to build, how to build it efficiently, how to market your product  (Web)

It's happening.

thezerg
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:21:35 PM

If you buy bitcoin from an exchange that you have identified yourself on and spend it directly, it'll be pretty easy for you to be identified.  But when the "virtuous circle" closes (i.e. you receive BTC for a service and spend it for something else and so does everybody else) it will be much harder to trace trace the real people involved.  You'd have to track each individual down and ask who they transferred the coin to -- just like you'd do with cash.

One qualification is that the above can be applied to the shortest path from identified transaction to wallet address.  There may be a shorter path to find the owner of wallet X then the path the attacker is actually interested in.  But wallets are slowly increasing anonymity automatically by encouraging new receive addresses for every txn, and allowing you to spend from specific received coins (coin control).
thezerg
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 02:23:55 PM

It's happening.

Yes.  My point here is people compare Bitcoin to http and say Bitcoin is as big as or bigger than the web without explaining why.  This is why.  Both it and the web are fundamental building blocks of the modern economy.
2017orso

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 04:55:30 PM

Regards,

High-level oil transactions are completed with cash?  Huh

The public is not necessarily privy to the details of those transactions, however the media is for the most part.  

Just as in a cumbersome and cluttered SWIFT et al space, the public is not necessarily educated on the bank account numbers of institutions, it can also very well be the case that in a fast-pace bitcoin denominated financial future, with many high-value transactions, the public is not necessarily privy to the addresses of certain institutions.  While it will be easier to investigate and track, it is not necessarily inherently more transparent, especially as side-chains or the like are introduced.  In fact, the potential for transparency can allow for corporate maneuvering through address movement.  Think transaction bluffing, ghost subsidiaries and other high-level tactics which would render the landscape more opaque.

That comment was likely a farce anyways.  It would be absolutely absurd for such a figure to make claim to the potential for transparency as an aggregate detractor from the obvious advantages.  Where was that posted the alt-coin forum?  Roll Eyes
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 06:45:18 PM

So Risto, since you were, as usual, correct about your prediction for $650 being the price on July 1st, where do you think we are headed now?  This appear to be stagnating right now.  I guess that is not necessarily a huge cause for concern, but I would think we would need to start inching up pretty soon here.  You had mentioned a new ATH at the end of July or into Ausust and I am curious if you think this is still doable.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
btcbeliever

Activity: 232
Merit: 29

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:29:03 PM

So Risto, since you were, as usual, correct about your prediction for $650 being the price on July 1st, where do you think we are headed now?  This appear to be stagnating right now.  I guess that is not necessarily a huge cause for concern, but I would think we would need to start inching up pretty soon here.  You had mentioned a new ATH at the end of July or into Ausust and I am curious if you think this is still doable.
good question here ... however Risto you do not pretend to have a crystal ball any more than anyone else, right?  Would you say the July 1 prediction was a lucky guess? 
2017orso

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:39:37 PM

good question here ... however Risto you do not pretend to have a crystal ball any more than anyone else, right?  Would you say the July 1 prediction was a lucky guess? 

He has a great handle on trendline and order dynamics.

What I haven't seen you overtly mention rpietila is market psychology. 

My guess is ~$800 next couple months, test ATH soon after, ~$6000 by Winter.  Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the potential of this occurring.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 08:58:30 PM

So Risto, since you were, as usual, correct about your prediction for $650 being the price on July 1st, where do you think we are headed now?  This appear to be stagnating right now.  I guess that is not necessarily a huge cause for concern, but I would think we would need to start inching up pretty soon here.  You had mentioned a new ATH at the end of July or into Ausust and I am curious if you think this is still doable.
good question here ... however Risto you do not pretend to have a crystal ball any more than anyone else, right?  Would you say the July 1 prediction was a lucky guess?  

My guess is ~$800 next couple months, test ATH soon after, ~$6000 by Winter.  Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the potential of this occurring.

could it be $600-800 until Dec 31 and $6000 on anytime in Jan or Feb-it would help with my cap gains,  Wink
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 09:01:30 PM

My guess is ~$800 next couple months, test ATH soon after, ~$6000 by Winter.  Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the potential of this occurring.

- Thank you.
- I think we are headed up, after a short breather. But this is just the most likely scenario. It's like the weatherman says "rain" but it only rains in 70% accuracy or so and can never be otherwise.
- There is no inching up; once we start moving, that's it. See weekly Parabolic SAR in Stamp, 2y.
- There is no cause for concern whatever happens. Crypto is either the next big thing or it isn't, and short term price movements do not change this reality.
- I currently think that the new top is reached in August-October, with the old ATH beaten only 3-5 weeks before.
- I don't pretend having a crystal ball.
- July 1 prediction was mathematically derived from the similarities in the current situation and the one in late 2011. If we would follow that lead strictly, now would be a 12-month period of price stagnation, but I do not believe such is going to happen.
- I am lazy to write about psychology because it needs many words, that does not however mean that I were totally ignorant about it.
- Your prediction of slow growth is not compatible with market psychology. Once we clear the ATH, there is nothing stopping us. 6000 is conservative (for an intraday high).

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 09:03:43 PM

- July 1 prediction was mathematically derived from the similarities in the current situation and the one in late 2011. If we would follow that lead strictly, now would be a 12-month period of price stagnation, but I do not believe such is going to happen.

Where are you getting the twelve months from?
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 09:07:54 PM

With Bitcoin, going from $7 to $13 in 12 months is equal to stagnation. With all the other investments, that would be stellar performance of course Wink

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 09:18:35 PM

With Bitcoin, going from $7 to $13 in 12 months is equal to stagnation. With all the other investments, that would be stellar performance of course Wink

Ah, so you're talking about Bitcoin going up by $50 monthly for the next 12 months as stagnation  Cheesy

Anyway, last cycle didn't have twelve month slow rise so we'll see.
Pages: « 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... 362 »
  Print  

Jump to: