Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 06:26:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 [379] 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 12:21:28 AM

I spoke to a politician today that is running in the Canadian federal election.  He may have been looking for a quick hello and support, but I pinned him down (not literally Grin), and asked him how his party was going to regulate digital currency.  He wasn't familiar with it and had never heard of bitcoin.  I mentioned that digital currency and the blockchain will be the biggest technology revolution since the internet.  I told him about the Canadian Senate's recommendations that encourage a "light touch", so as not to stifle innovation.  He wants me to email him with more information so he can look into it.  I am going to mention DCEBrief as the best news site for busy professionals.  Please let me know tonight if you can think of a few powerful facts that I can use to help him understand how important this is.  What benefits would a country have by being first to adopt digital currency?  The best quick reply to squash the "bitcoin for criminals" nonsense.

Anyone that wants to write the whole argument, I'll gladly accept that too!!  Wink

p.s. Election day is Monday, October 19th

Hi Chase, I realize the importance of sending the right message to our future regulators. I'm not the best writer, but I will do what I can. Please modify this to fit your conversation.

Digital Currency, also referred to as Cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoin and DNotes has forever changed humankind. Since the early days of the internet, many have sought out a way to create a virtual currency that won't allow a user to 'double spend' and prevents someone from hacking into it and just creating money out of thin air. Cryptocurrency is the solution.

The revolutionary technology, the Blockchain, which makes digital currency possible is the holy grail of storing data. The Blockchain stores data in an irreversible manner on a distributed ledger through a decentralized peer to peer network.

As Alan Yong, regarded as a 'thought leader' in the digital currency industry, has mentioned in his latest press release: "Yong believes that the best way to realize this “generational opportunity” is to understand the true potential of the three distinct components of this cryptocurrency revolution: the digital money, the blockchain technology that underpins it, and the global payment network system within which it operates."
http://dcebrief.com/bitcoin-alternative-dnotes-announces-new-company-launch-in-2016-to-integrate-the-currency-payment-system-and-blockchain/

Countries that get a head start in digital currency by offering sensible regulation will be the leaders in tomorrows financial world and become a global mecca for technology, business, and innovation. The future of a global digital currency which can be used in conjunction with fiat currency, is coming whether we like it or not and we would like Canada to be at the forefront of this revolution. It is important to note, uncertainty in regulation leaves potential digital currency businesses unable to act and over regulation stifles business and innovation, a perfect balance will allow Canada to become a technological powerhouse and flourish in this industry.

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed!  I used it all and the last paragragh was the powerpunch I was looking for!  Smiley

It's a bit after the fact, but here is some information that would have been helpful.

UK‘s Baldwin Describes Benefits of Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Tech
Britain’s interest in FinTech was highlighted again this week as the Economic Secretary of HM Treasury once again affirmed the government’s commitment to realizing the potential benefits of digital currency and the blockchain. In her speech, Harriet Baldwin MP mentioned the UK government’s March commitment to spend £10m on cryptocurrency and distributed ledger research, while also acknowledging the need for an intelligent regulatory scheme that doesn’t unduly stifle innovation.

http://dcebrief.com/blockchain-weekly-recap-10-17-2015/

The fact that we have committed to bring digital currency exchanges into regulation has been welcomed by industry, and it’s already resulted in digital currency businesses relocating to the UK.

For example, Circle, a bitcoin services company, has announced that it is planning to open a London office from which it will coordinate its European expansion. Why the UK? Well, Circle were very clear: it was because of our positive attitude to FinTech and to digital currencies.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/uk-to-lead-on-big-data-research-says-harriett-baldwin

This is very helpful information and it won't go to waste.  One of the benefits of CryptoMoms, is that we can collect similar topic stories, news, and stats, and when we have an argument to make, everything is at our fingertips.  Bonus!

So, what is it going to be?  "Governments Recognizing the Value of Cryptocurrency", "How To Talk Crypto With a Politican",  "Winning Over The Government", or ...suggestions??

Speaking of government, today is election day in Canada.  I have done my civic duty, and now have the right to complain for four more years. Grin  Hopefully the winning party has the good sense to recognize the enormous potential of this industry.

Great! Maybe something along the lines of "How a nation would benefit from ideal digital currency regulation".

TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 12:31:39 AM

I spoke to a politician today that is running in the Canadian federal election.  He may have been looking for a quick hello and support, but I pinned him down (not literally Grin), and asked him how his party was going to regulate digital currency.  He wasn't familiar with it and had never heard of bitcoin.  I mentioned that digital currency and the blockchain will be the biggest technology revolution since the internet.  I told him about the Canadian Senate's recommendations that encourage a "light touch", so as not to stifle innovation.  He wants me to email him with more information so he can look into it.  I am going to mention DCEBrief as the best news site for busy professionals.  Please let me know tonight if you can think of a few powerful facts that I can use to help him understand how important this is.  What benefits would a country have by being first to adopt digital currency?  The best quick reply to squash the "bitcoin for criminals" nonsense.

Anyone that wants to write the whole argument, I'll gladly accept that too!!  Wink

Hi Chase, I realize the importance of sending the right message to our future regulators. I'm not the best writer, but I will do what I can. Please modify this to fit your conversation.

Digital Currency, also referred to as Cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoin and DNotes has forever changed humankind. Since the early days of the internet, many have sought out a way to create a virtual currency that won't allow a user to 'double spend' and prevents someone from hacking into it and just creating money out of thin air. Cryptocurrency is the solution.

The revolutionary technology, the Blockchain, which makes digital currency possible is the holy grail of storing data. The Blockchain stores data in an irreversible manner on a distributed ledger through a decentralized peer to peer network.

As Alan Yong, regarded as a 'thought leader' in the digital currency industry, has mentioned in his latest press release: "Yong believes that the best way to realize this “generational opportunity” is to understand the true potential of the three distinct components of this cryptocurrency revolution: the digital money, the blockchain technology that underpins it, and the global payment network system within which it operates."
http://dcebrief.com/bitcoin-alternative-dnotes-announces-new-company-launch-in-2016-to-integrate-the-currency-payment-system-and-blockchain/

Countries that get a head start in digital currency by offering sensible regulation will be the leaders in tomorrows financial world and become a global mecca for technology, business, and innovation. The future of a global digital currency which can be used in conjunction with fiat currency, is coming whether we like it or not and we would like Canada to be at the forefront of this revolution. It is important to note, uncertainty in regulation leaves potential digital currency businesses unable to act and over regulation stifles business and innovation, a perfect balance will allow Canada to become a technological powerhouse and flourish in this industry.

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed!  I used it all and the last paragragh was the powerpunch I was looking for!  Smiley

It's a bit after the fact, but here is some information that would have been helpful.

Britain’s interest in FinTech was highlighted again this week as the Economic Secretary of HM Treasury once again affirmed the government’s commitment to realizing the potential benefits of digital currency and the blockchain. In her speech, Harriet Baldwin MP mentioned the UK government’s March commitment to spend £10m on cryptocurrency and distributed ledger research, while also acknowledging the need for an intelligent regulatory scheme that doesn’t unduly stifle innovation.

The fact that we have committed to bring digital currency exchanges into regulation has been welcomed by industry, and it’s already resulted in digital currency businesses relocating to the UK.

For example, Circle, a bitcoin services company, has announced that it is planning to open a London office from which it will coordinate its European expansion. Why the UK? Well, Circle were very clear: it was because of our positive attitude to FinTech and to digital currencies.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/uk-to-lead-on-big-data-research-says-harriett-baldwin

This is very helpful information and it won't go to waste.  One of the benefits of CryptoMoms, is that we can collect similar topic stories, news, and stats, and when we have an argument to make, everything is at our fingertips.  Bonus!

So, what is it going to be?  "Governments Recognizing the Value of Cryptocurrency", "How To Talk Crypto With a Politican",  "Winning Over The Government", or ...suggestions??

Speaking of government, today is election day in Canada.  I have done my civic duty, and now have the right to complain for four more years. Grin  Hopefully the winning party has the good sense to recognize the enormous potential of this industry.

Haha, civic duty huh Wink

I always found it interesting that people would say a combination of the following to me (I don't vote personally):

If you don't vote, then you can't complain because you chose not to have a say.
If you vote, and your team loses, then you can't complain because you took part in the process.
If you vote, and your team wins, then you can't complain because you got what you wanted.

Really interesting common theme there I think that removes critique of the process - sometimes it's the process and not the 'team' that is the problem.

Regardless, let's hope for favourable crypto election result!

Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 11:45:15 AM
Last edit: October 20, 2015, 11:58:21 AM by Dyna

Good morning! To save some time, I thought it might be interesting for me to share with you one of my emails with my reply. On average, I am still getting about 50 emails a day. I respond to majority of them, though most of them just get a canned response.

Dear Harry,

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is rewarding to know that more and more people around the world are beginning to take notice that DNotes is being built as the trusted global digital currency for the citizens of the world. This is a huge undertaking, started with limited personal resources but blessed with very strong community support. It is quite amazing what we have accomplished, in a fairly short period of time.

By strategic choice, we have limited our projects to self-funding up to this point. We wanted to plan and execute under the radar, for the most part, so that we can build a solid foundation based on our vision. We have accomplished that.

Our next phase will determine the scope and speed as to how soon we can expand to include professional help like (-----).  We are planning to raise various rounds of funding beginning sometime next year, including the incorporation of a for profit company to take over our ecosystem.

Harry, you are welcome to keep in touch or suggest any ideas you may have, as to how we can collaborate, given the understanding of our limited resources. We do have a PR firm; low budget and paid mostly in DNotes and some Bitcoin. We have a strong team of DNotes supporters with excellent skill-sets in various areas. I normally contribute over ten hours of my time daily. As you may know, DNotes is not owned by a group of individuals or an entity. It is owned by all of its stakeholders.

Our mission is to build DNotes as the choice and option for anyone worldwide to compliment their national or fiat currency as a medium of exchange or as a store of value. We believe that it is a worthy mission in the mist of constant political turmoil and financial crises worldwide.

Best Regards,

Alan

Today – 10-20-15

"Hi Alan, it is a pleasure to connect with you. I have been watching your deeply inspiring work and considerable contribution in the cryptocurrency and fintech industry.

Having said this I would be very interested to see if and how we could find some common avenues of collaboration, potentially utilizing mine and my teams' deep financial and marketing expertise.

Yours,

Harry"
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 12:07:58 PM

I always found it interesting that people would say a combination of the following to me (I don't vote personally):

If you vote, and your team loses, then you can't complain because you took part in the process.
If you vote, and your team wins, then you can't complain because you got what you wanted.

Really interesting common theme there I think that removes critique of the process - sometimes it's the process and not the 'team' that is the problem.

I'm not sure at what point in time voting became synonymous with the right to complain?? Grin   Perhaps we no longer passionately believe in what a certain party is doing, and only vote for them because they will do the least amount of damage compared to the alternatives.

The Liberal party won yesterday with an unexpected majority government, so the people of Canada obviously were wanting a change.  I haven't been able to find anything on what their views are on cryptocurrency, so they may be good candidates for an accurate education on it.  Wink

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 02:04:34 PM

I'm not sure at what point in time voting became synonymous with the right to complain?? Grin   Perhaps we no longer passionately believe in what a certain party is doing, and only vote for them because they will do the least amount of damage compared to the alternatives.

The Liberal party won yesterday with an unexpected majority government, so the people of Canada obviously were wanting a change.  I haven't been able to find anything on what their views are on cryptocurrency, so they may be good candidates for an accurate education on it.  Wink

Chase, I have long ago decided to just reserve my rights to complain, as opposed to using any of it, whether I voted or not. I am happy to be a part of DNotes, where I believe that we can truly be heard with the ability to make a difference. That is why I am so passionate about DNotes. May be together we can help fill the "void" of unintended consequences our political leaders have created, in Canada, US, and the rest of the world.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 03:14:04 PM

I haven't been able to find anything on what their views are on cryptocurrency, so they may be good candidates for an accurate education on it.  Wink
Sounds like a great idea. Smiley
What do you think of having an article on DCEBrief that specifically highlight's why government officials should be interested in digital currency. Then having links to some of our more important topics.

kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:55:28 PM

This is good news for digital currency.

With China accounting for 80% of the global bitcoin trading volume, it was only a matter of time before the country’s own authorities paid heed to the cryptocurrency.China flag

In a recent publication on October 13, the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) has, in no uncertain terms, claimed that we have entered the “post-Bitcoin era,” and “Can no longer ignore its revolutionary changes” despite people thinking bitcoin and block chain technology is or was not stable.

The publication began with the CAC taking note of the deeming of bitcoin as a commodity by the United States Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). It also added that although the recommendation of third-party bitcoin transfers be included in banking regulations remains a proposal at this stage, such an endeavor “will promote economic regulation of electronic money.”

The CAC also believes in the promise and potential of bitcoin’s underlying technology – block chain. The translated text reads:

“Block chain provides a decentralized [technology] for various industries [such as] finance, including [a way] to establish information verification.”

The authority points to Europe which is currently seeing an increased investment and interest from banks and financial institutions towards block chain and cryptocurrency.

“Recently more and more attention to the technology of traditional financial sector,” the publication adds. “For example, according to the European Banking Association (EBA) in the latest report, the block chain technology with lower costs, improve product supply and improve the speed potential.”

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 07:39:41 PM

This is good news for digital currency.

With China accounting for 80% of the global bitcoin trading volume, it was only a matter of time before the country’s own authorities paid heed to the cryptocurrency.China flag

In a recent publication on October 13, the Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) has, in no uncertain terms, claimed that we have entered the “post-Bitcoin era,” and “Can no longer ignore its revolutionary changes” despite people thinking bitcoin and block chain technology is or was not stable.

The publication began with the CAC taking note of the deeming of bitcoin as a commodity by the United States Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). It also added that although the recommendation of third-party bitcoin transfers be included in banking regulations remains a proposal at this stage, such an endeavor “will promote economic regulation of electronic money.”

The CAC also believes in the promise and potential of bitcoin’s underlying technology – block chain. The translated text reads:

“Block chain provides a decentralized [technology] for various industries [such as] finance, including [a way] to establish information verification.”

The authority points to Europe which is currently seeing an increased investment and interest from banks and financial institutions towards block chain and cryptocurrency.

“Recently more and more attention to the technology of traditional financial sector,” the publication adds. “For example, according to the European Banking Association (EBA) in the latest report, the block chain technology with lower costs, improve product supply and improve the speed potential.”

Good, looks like China is heading in the right direction. They are an important market for digital currency.

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 08:34:17 PM

I haven't been able to find anything on what their views are on cryptocurrency, so they may be good candidates for an accurate education on it.  Wink
What do you think of having an article on DCEBrief that specifically highlight's why government officials should be interested in digital currency. Then having links to some of our more important topics.

That is a great idea for a story, made even better with the additional links.  There seems to be a lot of government officials that have not even heard of digital currency or the blockchain.  It will be so much easier to educate correctly right from the start if the person has no previous misconceptions that need to be 'undone' before the real learning can begin.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

Bergman

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 12:57:25 AM

That is a great idea for a story, made even better with the additional links.  There seems to be a lot of government officials that have not even heard of digital currency or the blockchain.  It will be so much easier to educate correctly right from the start if the person has no previous misconceptions that need to be 'undone' before the real learning can begin.

Same here, many politicians may not understand the impact of crypto's in a meaningful way. My recommendation would be to treat it sort of like an executive summary about crypto specifically for politicians.
HORT

Activity: 508
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 01:37:01 AM

Yes, Chase, sometimes Canada leads the way and USA follows once they realize their mistake. Hopefully the winning party will come around and reap the benefits of cryptocurrency. Someone has to lead the way and once that dam is broken, all will follow. Guaranteed. We live in a sheepish world no less.
HORT

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 01:40:02 AM

Chase, I have long ago decided to just reserve my rights to complain, as opposed to using any of it, whether I voted or not. I am happy to be a part of DNotes, where I believe that we can truly be heard with the ability to make a difference. That is why I am so passionate about DNotes. May be together we can help fill the "void" of unintended consequences our political leaders have created, in Canada, US, and the rest of the world.

All it takes is one leader to blaze the way forward and then all will follow.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 03:00:56 AM
Last edit: October 21, 2015, 03:15:47 AM by DNotes

For the miners out there, you can get a rough idea of exactly how quickly the technology will be moving by looking at the attached chart from ITRS (International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors). I found this doing some research on today's DCEBrief article.

The latest semiconductor technologies seem to be a couple years ahead (2-3 years roughly) of actual release of new mining equipment.

At this predicted rate of progress, it will continue to be a struggle for small scale miners to keep up. The ROI potential will rely heavily on appreciation.

DNotes focus on steady and reliable appreciation would make it the ideal target for small scale mining operations.

However, this is just my assessment of the history, data, and predictions presented.

http://www.itrs.net/ITRS%201999-2014%20Mtgs,%20Presentations%20&%20Links/2013ITRS/2013TableSummaries/2013ORTC_SummaryTable.pdf

PS You can find a little more information by following Intel's roadmap and predicted silicone alternatives, which I decided not to go too far down that path today.
http://wccftech.com/intel-abandoning-silicon-7nm/

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 02:10:56 PM

This is one of the better articles I came across recently:

Lean business models and frugality are the order of the day for bitcoin companies in 2016.”
I agree. DNotes is the model for everyone to follow. We have created a trusted brand, built a strong community and a purposeful ecosystem, without asking for a single donation outside of our core stakeholders and founders. Neither have we accepted a single $ in VC funding.

The bitcoin industry is still years away from maturity.

Correct. We have a long way to go, but it will be so massive that those with the right business models that can survive the test of time will reap huge rewards.

Unfortunately, many business were launched on the back of overly optimistic industry growth projections.”

True. The easiest way to raise seed and VC money is to have a business plan written on a piece of napkin with an imaginary road map and an impressive growth projection, after both parties had a few drinks. (Caution: only slightly stretched)

My point is that, as sad as it may be, it is easier to impressive most people with exciting ideas, because there is nothing can be proven at the time of the presentation. Once that idea is being put to test, it becomes a very different story. In my opinion, there has been a lot of money thrown at not very smart ideas. We are now seeing the result of very high rate of failures.

there just isn’t currently enough volume to support all the exchanges, payment gateways and wallet providers that have sprung up, let alone the number of secondary service providers.”

Great observation. The smart ones will evolve into other business or collaborate and partner with promising emerging players, well positioned to be future leaders, as in the case of DNotes. It will not surprise me that DNotes becomes one of the most sought after strategic partners in 2016.

Bitcoin businesses will need to learn very quickly that they have to grow with the industry rather than ahead of it.”

Good advice, but unfortunately many learned their lessons after the fact. They only come to realize that they “should have, ….. could have …”  when they found themselves without a company or a job.

Well-backed business with patient investors or those that are owner-operated with a low cost base will be best placed to survive.

Is the author referring to DNotes? That is what we are about. Most of our investors are here for the very long term. Less than 1% of DNotes depositors ever withdrew their DNotes from the DNotesVault. We work very hard and we are patient investors.

“{A lot of investors are now chasing so-called ‘blockchain ideas’}”

Blockchain technology offers massive potential. In numbers, this could match the large number of PC business owners during the early years of personal computers. Like personal computer, there will be a few big winners, with many making a decent living, while others never realized their dreams.

What 2016 Holds for Bitcoin Businesses
Charlie Woolnough (@CoinCorner) | Published on October 18, 2015 at 11:00 BST

Charlie Woolnough is a co-founder of CoinCorner, a consumer-focused bitcoin services business. In this article, he gives his view on the current state of the bitcoin industry and what companies in the space should expect from next year.

The bitcoin industry is still years away from maturity. Unfortunately, many business were launched on the back of overly optimistic industry growth projections. The hard reality is, there just isn’t currently enough volume to support all the exchanges, payment gateways and wallet providers that have sprung up, let alone the number of secondary service providers, such as bitcoin compliance solutions, that have been created to support the first wave of service providers.

Belt tightening
Many of these businesses will need to take radical steps to survive the next few years while consumer adoption catches up with service provider expectation. We are already seeing signs of this where those business that haven’t been able to reach critical mass are forced to close, resize,pivot or merge with competitors.

Expect to see this trend accelerate in the next 12-18 months. Even those companies that have raised large amounts of investment aren’t immune to the situation. Indeed, they will now have a different type of pressure to deal with – the pressure of investor expectation and the fight to avoid the dreaded ‘down round’ if they need to secure further funds to continue operating, which many will.

Bitcoin businesses will need to learn very quickly that they have to grow with the industry rather than ahead of it. Consumer education and the public promotion of bitcoin is admirable, not to mention required, but we are still several years away from sports sponsorship being an optimal use of company funds.
Well-backed business with patient investors or those that are owner-operated with a low cost base will be best placed to survive.

Blockchain needs bitcoin (or at least its user base)
A lot of investors are now chasing so-called ‘blockchain ideas’. However, it’s not always entirely clear how a lot of these ideas will generate revenue or gain user traction any time soon. A sensible approach would be for blockchain businesses that are targeting consumers to partner with more established bitcoin business that are already operating in the space and have reached a critical mass of users.

At least then they would have ready access to a consumer base that has some appetite for more nascent blockchain-related services. It’s hard to imagine people who haven’t already experimented with bitcoin, suddenly rushing to register assets on the blockchain, for example.

Surely it’s those people that have adopted and experimented with bitcoin that will be the most likely early adopters of blockchain services as well. For many, bitcoin will become the gateway to the blockchain. It’s how people will get comfortable with the technology.

The banking issue
It has been said many times that bitcoin needs a killer app to become mainstream. However, don’t we have that already in the form of extremely cheap peer-to-peer payments? What is needed is a more seamless consumer experience between traditional finance and bitcoin.

Bitcoin is currently functioning in spite of an awkward relationship with banks. If this relationship could be improved then bitcoin could thrive. How can we ever hope to get greater consumer adoption for bitcoin when many users’ first experience is the loss of £25 for an international bank transfer or a 3% credit card fee for the pleasure of acquiring their first bitcoin. It’s self-defeating and means only diehards and those keen on experimentation will make the leap from fiat to crypto currency.

So, how do we bridge the gap between banking and bitcoin? Unsurprisingly, the answer lies in banking’s favourite arena of regulation and compliance.

Regulation

Regulation is required to give banks the certainty they need to provide banking facilities to the sector. How a bitcoin business then satisfies a bank that they are in compliance with any relevant regulation is the next big hurdle. This is where regulators need to realise that applying traditional compliance metrics to bitcoin is pointless.

A new paradigm is needed that recognises and embraces the unique characteristics of bitcoin. As a result, bitcoin compliance and those who create products that are able to help get banks comfortable with bitcoin, is critical to the development and growth of the sector. Herein lies the acid test, if the bitcoin compliance providers can’t create a product that banks approve of, they won’t get many clients.
It will be interesting if the Isle of Man’s new Designated Business Act, which comes into force in the next few weeks and requires crypto businesses to register with the island’s financial regulator, does anything to enhance bank’s appetite for the sector.

Ten predictions for 2016
1.   Bitcoin companies with just one business line will increasingly become disintermediated by those that offer multiple services.
2.   Investor clamour for all things blockchain will return full circle as blockchain start-ups begin to partner with more established bitcoin businesses.
3.   Sadly more bitcoin business will close or consolidate.
4.   Bitcoin adoption will continue to move slowly forward – mass consumer adoption is still in the future.
5.   The relationships between banks and bitcoin business will begin to thaw as more sophisticated bitcoin compliance solutions come to the market.
6.   We will see fewer and fewer pure bitcoin start-ups – those that already exist now have too much of a head start.
7.   Bitcoin legislation will begin to evolve at a faster pace and will help give the sector added credibility.
8.   There will be more fraud related to altcoins.
9.   Investment in the sector will plateau until consumer adoption dramatically increases.
10.   The price of bitcoin will remain relatively static around the $200-$300 range.

Final thought
Ultimately, bitcoin will survive and gain greater public adoption – the technology is simply to compelling to ignore. However, whether many of the companies currently operating in the space will survive long enough to reach the promised land remains to be seen.

Lean business models and frugality are the order of the day for bitcoin companies in 2016. A loyal and growing customer base will surely help as well.

To learn more about what happened in the bitcoin and blockchain space in the third quarter of this year, see our latest State of Bitcoin and Blockchain Report

Source: http://www.coindesk.com/what-2016-holds-for-bitcoin-businesses/

This is probably the most accurate article on the state of the industry that I have seen.  I particularily agree with the author on his points about these businesses needing to "grow with the industry rather than ahead of it".

"The bitcoin industry is still years away from maturity. Unfortunately, many business were launched on the back of overly optimistic industry growth projections. The hard reality is, there just isn’t currently enough volume to support all the exchanges, payment gateways and wallet providers that have sprung up, let alone the number of secondary service providers, such as bitcoin compliance solutions, that have been created to support the first wave of service providers."

I am a little surprised at the money being poured into some of these untested, and in some cases marketless, ventures from seasoned investors (that should really know better).

Dyna - "Is the author referring to DNotes? That is what we are about. Most of our investors are here for the very long term. Less than 1% of DNotes depositors ever withdrew their DNotes from the DNotesVault. We work very hard and we are patient investors".

There are too many people seeking instant gratification in this industry - only the patient will be rewarded! Wink

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 03:05:07 PM

Same here, many politicians may not understand the impact of crypto's in a meaningful way. My recommendation would be to treat it sort of like an executive summary about crypto specifically for politicians.

Good ideas, I will create an outline this weekend and see if one of our writers can work on it for next week's publishing.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 03:35:30 PM

In my opinion, the State of Bitcoin is okay. No major surprises. It certainly has not been doing as well as we all would have wished. Again, nothing new to me, but it is a sad fact that VC funding for pure currency play has been drying up.

The typical “me too” phenomena continues. The key word is now “Blockchain technology.”  No doubt, the emerging Blockchain/FinTech industries will be massive and a few will do very well. DNotes will be a major player but we are taking our time to ensure that developing a viable business model with the right strategy is as vital as the technology itself. 

5 Facts from the Q3 2015 State of Bitcoin Report

Grace Caffyn (@GCaffyn) | Published on October 20, 2015 at 16:56 BST

Last week saw the release of CoinDesk's latest State of Bitcoin report, which gives a quarterly snapshot of the digital currency ecosystem.

Q3 was marked by a shift towards bitcoin technology's use in non-financial applications, for example settlement. Both startups – with products like itBit's bankchain – and large financial institutions – who are now investing in blockchain companies – drove this rhetoric.

Here, we've collected a few interesting tidbits you might have missed from the report – which weighs in at 87 slides.

You can view the report in full or check out CoinDesk's previous State of Bitcoin reports.

1. Trading and volatility are back up
Last quarter, bitcoin experienced an uncharacteristic period of calm, with a peak-to-trough percentage of 20%. This zen didn't last, however, as Q3 saw this figure rise by 13% (Side 12).

While it's still on the lower end of the volatility spectrum (Q2 2014 recorded a peak-to-trough percentage of 84%), the quarter did see a boost in trading (Slide 13).

In the latter part of Q2, monthly trading volume had been between 5 and 6 million bitcoins. In August, it exceeded 10 million bitcoins – the first time since April.

2. But investment is down

While traders were putting more cash on the line in Q3, investor interest actually fell.
VC investment in bitcoin companies dropped 41% from $145m to $85m – the lowest total of the last four quarters (Slide 30).

Despite large rounds from Chain ($30m) and BitFury ($20m), the average deal size also fell from $10m in Q2 to $6m in Q3.

This could be a seasonal slump, following a larger VC trend that slowed 5% in Q3.
However, the 2015 year to date total ($462m) is more than double that for 2014 (Slide 26), while the total invested in bitcoin startups ($921m) nears the billion dollar mark (Slide 27).

3. Despite the hype, no $ for emerging markets

Though emerging markets have been touted as the most likely places bitcoin could succeed, they have been the biggest losers VC-wise.

The Bitcoin Market Potential Index (BMPI), which tracks factors such as technology penetration and financial repression (Slide 54), ranks Argentina, Venezuela and Zimbabwe in the top spots.

In fact, 40% of markets in the BMPI's top 10 are in Sub-Saharan Africa, while 20% are in Latin America.
However, the State of Bitcoin shows there was no VC investment in African, Latin American or Middle Eastern startups in Q3 or Q2 (Slide 32).

It's no surprise that the US and Canada come top for VC investment, receiving 75% of all money in Q3 – nearly triple the rest of the world combined.

In addition, North America and Europe (which comes second in Q3's VC funding) are the destinations with the most bitcoin-accepting businesses (Slide 53).

4. Merchant interest slumps, again

While transactions (Slide 44) and wallet numbers (Slide 45) continue to rise, they don't paint the whole picture.

The two biggest merchant processors, BitPay and Coinbase, saw growth among new merchants halve in Q2 (Slide 48).

It appears last quarter's boost of 12,000 merchants may have been an anomaly, with numbers now plateauing at 6,000 per quarter – the same for Q1 and Q2.

BitPay announced it would cut staff in an effort to "reduce costs" and "better align with the pace of growth" in the industry (Slide 47). It is no longer offering its free tiered product.

Revenues are slowing too, at $190bn they are only up $2bn from June 2015, Q2. Companies, such as Expedia (Slide 49), say purchases taper off after time.

Those who appear to be holding fast during the slump are best geared to bitcoin's Millenial demographic.

5. New York's Bitlicense divided opinion

Q3 also saw the official deadline for bitcoin companies applying for New York's Bitlicense, in order to serve customers in the state.

The regulations, which had been on the boil since 2013, proved divisive for the community.
By today's count, some 22 companies applied for the license – with Circle the first to get it – while 15 others ceased operations in the state.

Many who left cited the large legal costs involved, $100,000 by Bitstamp's estimates, while others framed their withdrawal as a political statement, a backlash against what they termed 'overly invasive' guidelines.

Source:  http://www.coindesk.com/5-facts-from-the-q3-2015-state-of-bitcoin-report/
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 04:25:02 PM

In my opinion, the State of Bitcoin is okay. No major surprises. It certainly has not been doing as well as we all would have wished. Again, nothing new to me, but it is a sad fact that VC funding for pure currency play has been drying up.

The typical “me too” phenomena continues. The key word is now “Blockchain technology.”  No doubt, the emerging Blockchain/FinTech industries will be massive and a few will do very well. DNotes will be a major player but we are taking our time to ensure that developing a viable business model with the right strategy is as vital as the technology itself.  

5 Facts from the Q3 2015 State of Bitcoin Report

Grace Caffyn (@GCaffyn) | Published on October 20, 2015 at 16:56 BST

Last week saw the release of CoinDesk's latest State of Bitcoin report, which gives a quarterly snapshot of the digital currency ecosystem.

Q3 was marked by a shift towards bitcoin technology's use in non-financial applications, for example settlement. Both startups – with products like itBit's bankchain – and large financial institutions – who are now investing in blockchain companies – drove this rhetoric.

Here, we've collected a few interesting tidbits you might have missed from the report – which weighs in at 87 slides.

You can view the report in full or check out CoinDesk's previous State of Bitcoin reports.

1. Trading and volatility are back up
Last quarter, bitcoin experienced an uncharacteristic period of calm, with a peak-to-trough percentage of 20%. This zen didn't last, however, as Q3 saw this figure rise by 13% (Side 12).

While it's still on the lower end of the volatility spectrum (Q2 2014 recorded a peak-to-trough percentage of 84%), the quarter did see a boost in trading (Slide 13).

In the latter part of Q2, monthly trading volume had been between 5 and 6 million bitcoins. In August, it exceeded 10 million bitcoins – the first time since April.

2. But investment is down

While traders were putting more cash on the line in Q3, investor interest actually fell.
VC investment in bitcoin companies dropped 41% from $145m to $85m – the lowest total of the last four quarters (Slide 30).

Despite large rounds from Chain ($30m) and BitFury ($20m), the average deal size also fell from $10m in Q2 to $6m in Q3.

This could be a seasonal slump, following a larger VC trend that slowed 5% in Q3.
However, the 2015 year to date total ($462m) is more than double that for 2014 (Slide 26), while the total invested in bitcoin startups ($921m) nears the billion dollar mark (Slide 27).

3. Despite the hype, no $ for emerging markets

Though emerging markets have been touted as the most likely places bitcoin could succeed, they have been the biggest losers VC-wise.

The Bitcoin Market Potential Index (BMPI), which tracks factors such as technology penetration and financial repression (Slide 54), ranks Argentina, Venezuela and Zimbabwe in the top spots.

In fact, 40% of markets in the BMPI's top 10 are in Sub-Saharan Africa, while 20% are in Latin America.
However, the State of Bitcoin shows there was no VC investment in African, Latin American or Middle Eastern startups in Q3 or Q2 (Slide 32).

It's no surprise that the US and Canada come top for VC investment, receiving 75% of all money in Q3 – nearly triple the rest of the world combined.

In addition, North America and Europe (which comes second in Q3's VC funding) are the destinations with the most bitcoin-accepting businesses (Slide 53).

4. Merchant interest slumps, again

While transactions (Slide 44) and wallet numbers (Slide 45) continue to rise, they don't paint the whole picture.

The two biggest merchant processors, BitPay and Coinbase, saw growth among new merchants halve in Q2 (Slide 48).

It appears last quarter's boost of 12,000 merchants may have been an anomaly, with numbers now plateauing at 6,000 per quarter – the same for Q1 and Q2.

BitPay announced it would cut staff in an effort to "reduce costs" and "better align with the pace of growth" in the industry (Slide 47). It is no longer offering its free tiered product.

Revenues are slowing too, at $190bn they are only up $2bn from June 2015, Q2. Companies, such as Expedia (Slide 49), say purchases taper off after time.

Those who appear to be holding fast during the slump are best geared to bitcoin's Millenial demographic.

5. New York's Bitlicense divided opinion

Q3 also saw the official deadline for bitcoin companies applying for New York's Bitlicense, in order to serve customers in the state.

The regulations, which had been on the boil since 2013, proved divisive for the community.
By today's count, some 22 companies applied for the license – with Circle the first to get it – while 15 others ceased operations in the state.

Many who left cited the large legal costs involved, $100,000 by Bitstamp's estimates, while others framed their withdrawal as a political statement, a backlash against what they termed 'overly invasive' guidelines.

Source:  http://www.coindesk.com/5-facts-from-the-q3-2015-state-of-bitcoin-report/

Blockchain search volume has nearly doubled from 12 months ago, which is a good gauge of popularity. It still pales in comparison to Bitcoin search volume, but that has a much broader base of interest. It seems to be right on par with bitcoin price search volume. Still pretty interesting.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 05:52:46 PM

As I read this article today, https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/water-project-inc-launches-bitcoin-initiative-to-help-sub-saharan-countries-1445438275 "Water Project, Inc. Launches Bitcoin Initiative to Help Sub Saharan Countries", I am reminded how digital currency could have a huge impact on charitable organizations by way of easy and cost effective cross border transactions. Removing most of the burdensome cost and process associated with cross border transactions means more money can be utilized for that specific cause.

It may not be that simple today, though I'm sure it does have a positive impact, the barriers have been removed by digital currency.

HORT

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 08:53:51 PM

Hmmm, it looks like there is copying of the DNotes savings plan:  

http://cointelegraph.com/news/115438/coinbase-linked-bitcoin-savings-account-bshare-in-400k-investment
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 10:03:02 PM

Competition is a good thing. Being a "me too" is an easy thing to do. On balance we are a tough act to beat because of the fundamental philosophy of our willingness to do more.   
Pages: « 1 ... 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 [379] 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: