Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:44:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 ... 425 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BTC Guild - Pays TxFees+NMC, Stratum, VarDiff, Private Servers  (Read 902898 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
jedimstr

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 01:59:20 AM

And 3% fee out of 2500TH/s are not enough for that?
Here's a very simple calculation: 3% is 75TH/s, which is around 32BTC a day.
Still not enough for better customer support?

BTC Guild is as good as it gets.  That's why the hashrate is here.

Remember he has to keep a slushpool of BTC for bad luck streaks on PPS.  That money doesn't come from nowhere.

I'm sure the daily hosting fees aren't small either.

M

With a 5% fee on PPS the bad luck is not so bad  Grin

What I am saying is that with the amount of income the owner receive he can absolutely afford a dedicated customer support and still continue to be filthy rich.
Your post sounds like: after he pays his hosting and PPS bad luck he barely has something left, which can't be further from the truth.

I'm not convinced he's filthy rich.

There are other pools.  Feel free to try them out, you'll see why BTC Guild is the #1 pool.

M

Well I guess if you compare him to Bill Gates then he would not be considered filthy rich  Grin
Then again if you compare the pool to Ghash.io then it would not be considered #1 in terms of hashing speed.
It's all about perspective really.
But that is not the point - the point was that a pool that has 2.5PH/s speed and is charging a minimum of 3% fee should provide a good and timely customer support.

I had a question above, that remained unanswered, so I will forward it to the pool email, so let's see if it get answered in a timely manner.

Try looking up how much bandwidth costs alone, across two continent dedicated servers, and private servers with this amount of PH would cost on any two global co-location facilities. See if you think he's rich after that. Not saying he's living on a diet of Ramen, but he's not exactly lounging in Monaco either. He does have to keep a sizeable chunk of BTC in both backup Cold Storage and in the hot wallet for the pool at all times, just in case.

Also Eleuthria is usually extremely quick to respond.  Assuming he celebrates it, Christmas may not be the time to expect an instant  or even a day after response.  Let the guy sip his eggnog.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:12:14 AM

stop feeding the troll. Imagine if all 25 - 30 thousand active accounts demanded the same level of servie. heh. Roll Eyes
CYPER

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:16:05 AM

Try looking up how much bandwidth costs alone, across two continent dedicated servers, and private servers with this amount of PH would cost on any two global co-location facilities. See if you think he's rich after that. Not saying he's living on a diet of Ramen, but he's not exactly lounging in Monaco either. He does have to keep a sizeable chunk of BTC in both backup Cold Storage and in the hot wallet for the pool at all times, just in case.

Also Eleuthria is usually extremely quick to respond.  Assuming he celebrates it, Christmas may not be the time to expect an instant  or even a day after response.  Let the guy sip his eggnog.

Stratum is a very efficient protocol in terms of bandwidth. Here it is explained by eleuthria: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=142073.msg1513665#msg1513665

So how much bandwidth costs then? Is it maybe 1% of the monthly pool profit or much less?
CYPER

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:18:50 AM

stop feeding the troll. Imagine if all 25 - 30 thousand active accounts demanded the same level of servie. heh. Roll Eyes

What level of service is that? I take it you meant service, right?
jedimstr

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:24:06 AM

Troll- "Stop eating Christmas dinner with your family! I want to know if the luck really is 103% immediately.  It's very important that it's not 102%.  Chop chop. I can't wait here by the computer all day. You call this customer service?"

Seriously, try being a bit more patient.  He'll get to your extremely important question when he gets the chance.

CYPER

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:29:44 AM

Troll- "Stop eating Christmas dinner with your family! I want to know if the luck really is 103% immediately.  It's very important that it's not 102%.  Chop chop. I can't wait here by the computer all day. You call this customer service?"

I think you are over-reacting.
I have never requested immediate reply to my query, nor expected one.
And the whole discussion was not about my query, but in regards to the guy who emailed CS and had no reply after 24 hours for which I just suggested that the pool can afford to have dedicated CS. That's all.
You seem to be mighty confused here.
jedimstr

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:34:53 AM

In the several years that I have been mining here eleuthria has been very responsive, like less then an hour if not sooner. Since he has not responded, something has pulled him away. I am very confident that he will respond as soon as he is able to. Please be patient.

I am just trying to make up my mind if I should switch to BTCguild and so I want to be able to personally verify that indeed the 103% luck that has been there for the past few weeks.
+ it is unclear what kind of period this 103% number covers and how exactly it is calculated- the charts starts at 24th October, which is just over a month. I would like to get some clarification on it.

Ahem... I was referring to this.  Confused.  No.

Are those your words or did they just magically appear with your username attached?

I say the point still stands for all of you guys asking questions during a heavy holiday week. Be patient.

CYPER

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:38:27 AM

In the several years that I have been mining here eleuthria has been very responsive, like less then an hour if not sooner. Since he has not responded, something has pulled him away. I am very confident that he will respond as soon as he is able to. Please be patient.

I am just trying to make up my mind if I should switch to BTCguild and so I want to be able to personally verify that indeed the 103% luck that has been there for the past few weeks.
+ it is unclear what kind of period this 103% number covers and how exactly it is calculated- the charts starts at 24th October, which is just over a month. I would like to get some clarification on it.

Ahem... I was referring to this.  Confused.  No.

Are those your words or did they just magically appear with your username attached?

It's obvious these are my words. Do you see me requesting or expecting immediate answer like you implied?
jedimstr

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:44:45 AM

Ahem... I was referring to this.  Confused.  No.

It's obvious these are my words. Do you see me requesting or expecting immediate answer like you implied?

Fair point.  You just insisted that he should hire customer service to be able to accomplish that. I understand there is a difference. 

My point being - he's a one man shop and captains a big ship.  Whether he can fund a dedicated customer service facility or person that works on Christmas is beyond the point. He doesn't have one now.

All I'm saying is... With the months/years of performance, one on one dedicated service, and proven track record as the biggest pool around, the guy deserves a few days during the holidays.  Are you arguing with me on that point or are we agreed?

CYPER

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:55:02 AM

Ahem... I was referring to this.  Confused.  No.

Fair point.  You just insisted that he should hire customer service to be able to accomplish that. I understand there is a difference. 

My point being - he's a one man shop and captains a big ship.  Whether he can fund a dedicated customer service facility or person that works on Christmas is beyond the point. He doesn't have one now.

All I'm saying is... With the months/years of performance, one on one dedicated service, and proven track record as the biggest pool around, the guy deserves a few days during the holidays.  Are you arguing with me on that point or are we agreed?

I am not going to argue if the owner of the pool deserves a break over the festive season - that's for him to decide and has nothing to do with having a dedicated CS, which can be expected to work today as I believe it is a normal working day at least here in the UK Smiley

I think we carried that too much - I am not going to change anything anyway, so will just wait for the reply to my query Smiley
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 03:57:50 AM

Some work is being started (won't see much progress til after Christmas) on a rewrite of the Stratum servers.  The backend BTC Guild has been using was written in C/C++, and was actually designed for a completely different protocol which I had hoped to release before Stratum (more efficient, but less noob-friendly with the lack of JSON).  While the current servers have proven to be rock solid (can go months without restarts), I'm looking to extend their capacity significantly, as well as make the different parts of the system handle threading better and as a result, make it more modular.  Not much point in having quad/hex/octo core servers if the threading model puts most the load in one or two threads!

This new system will end up being tested on (gasp) an altcoin first, to get a sense of any bottlenecks/bugs, and give the modular nature a stronger test with multiple coin chains on a single service.  Once proven, it will end up deployed for the BTC side as well.

Keep an eye out for the news section around the start of the new year if you'd like to give it a test with your old GPUs.

What will this cost us? Increasing fees?

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
Kiawef

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:35:34 AM

Regular working day in the UK?  It's boxing day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day

According to the wiki it's a banking holiday in the UK.

I'm rather new to the BTC scene, and I've found that BTC Guild is the most stable pool that is always there and isn't a subject of ddos attacks that I've seen in other pools lately. 
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:38:49 AM
Last edit: December 27, 2013, 05:47:58 AM by eleuthria

All emails have now been answered.  The oldest one was from Christmas Eve (at night), which was not even 48 hours old.  Many emails were answered on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and this morning while I was still away, if they did not require me to access the database to verify account information.  Some were not answered over the holidays because they were not important enough to require immediate response on the only holiday I've taken the entire year, but they have been answered now.

BTC Guild has no support staff for one simple reason:  I do not trust ANYBODY with ANY access to account information.  I will not be paying a support staff if all they can answer are general questions that are answered on the support page or Bitcoin wiki.  And I will also not be hiring a support staff if it means they need access to user records to do their job.  I would rather spend 12-16 hours per day working on the pool alone than take the risk of letting anybody else near the database records.

EDIT:  Heavily modified due to being written after a 9 hour car drive in bad traffic.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Aurics

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:37:21 AM

BTC Guild has no support staff for one simple reason:  I do not trust ANYBODY with ANY access to account information.

Hire me mate! I would NOT steal, at least not too much.
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:41:25 AM

EDIT:  Heavily modified due to being written after a 9 hour car drive in bad traffic.

I preferred the first version.  When people are pushy and unappreciative, they should be treated accordingly.
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:56:47 AM

I preferred the first version.  When people are pushy and unappreciative, they should be treated accordingly.

There was a lot of passive aggressive language in the first version, which was not justified.  A side-effect of getting out of the car after a 9 hour drive and looking at the forum & emails less than 10 minutes after pulling in the driveway.  I got two emails over the holidays from people who really deserved to be publicly ridiculed for how absurd their demands/requests were, and some of that frustration leaked into the post.  My post was more intended to be informational rather than a direct response.

xZork

Activity: 1249
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:02:38 AM

You should know by now that you're not allowed to have a life.  Roll Eyes

▄▆▆▄
           ▄████████▄
        ▄██████████████▄
     ▄███████      ███████▄
  ▄███████            ███████▄
███████                  ███████
█████▀                    ▀▀██▀
█████
█████                       ▄▆█
█████                   ▆██████
█████                   ████████
  ▀█                   █▀ ▐████
▄                          ▐████
██▆▄▄                    ▄█████
███████                  ███████
  ▀███████            ███████▀
     ▀███████      ███████▀
        ▀██████████████▀
           ▀████████▀

. Graphene Airdrop Coming Soon by Phore .
  █████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
█████████               ████████
█████████           ▅▆████████▌
█████████     ▅▅▆████████████▌
█████████▆█████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████▀▀▀
████████████████▀▀▀
█████████▀▀
█████████
█████████
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:20:50 AM

Some work is being started (won't see much progress til after Christmas) on a rewrite of the Stratum servers.  The backend BTC Guild has been using was written in C/C++, and was actually designed for a completely different protocol which I had hoped to release before Stratum (more efficient, but less noob-friendly with the lack of JSON).  While the current servers have proven to be rock solid (can go months without restarts), I'm looking to extend their capacity significantly, as well as make the different parts of the system handle threading better and as a result, make it more modular.  Not much point in having quad/hex/octo core servers if the threading model puts most the load in one or two threads!

This new system will end up being tested on (gasp) an altcoin first, to get a sense of any bottlenecks/bugs, and give the modular nature a stronger test with multiple coin chains on a single service.  Once proven, it will end up deployed for the BTC side as well.

Keep an eye out for the news section around the start of the new year if you'd like to give it a test with your old GPUs.

What will this cost us? Increasing fees?

No cost.  This is just another step towards greater stability/performance/redundancy.  There's a lot planned for the rewrite, luckily the bulk of the work (share validation/work generation) is "done".  No need to reinvent that wheel, just slightly rework it to make better use of threading and user prioritization.

neutralist

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:27:01 AM

You sound like a person, who if given the power to decide if the pool should get a quicker and better customer support service would decide against it.
The fact is that the pool has a very big profit margin and could afford such a thing.

I got two emails over the holidays from people who really deserved to be publicly ridiculed for how absurd their demands/requests were, and some of that frustration leaked into the post.

These is one of the many evidence of the infectious "entitlement attitude" of the Obama generation showing its ugly head. Much like those bitches who complaining (and even threaten to sue) about not getting their UPS packages before Christmas.
neutralist

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:31:11 AM

BTC Guild has no support staff for one simple reason:  I do not trust ANYBODY with ANY access to account information.

This could be dangerous if the NSA (or other three letter agencies) decides to make you disappear.
Pages: « 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 ... 425 »
  Print  

Jump to: