Bitcoin Forum
December 08, 2016, 10:23:05 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... 426 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BTC Guild - Pays TxFees+NMC, Stratum, VarDiff, Private Servers  (Read 829258 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750

BTC Guild Owner

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 02:03:43 AM

The US stratum server (frontend/initial server) is now running the new codebase.  Had an eventful day of bug chasing as little quirks showed up on the live deployment that weren't present when testing it in a development environment.  So far things are looking excellent, and the known issues have been ironed out. CPU usage on the server which is almost always being slammed by botnets is only 1-3% per core, a huge improvement in general efficiency (using all cores) and overall efficiency (less total CPU).

The backend servers will likely be updated to the new codebase over the next two days.  Scrypt Guild will begin development once that deployment is done and confirmed to be functioning as expected.

R.I.P. BTC Guild, 2011 - 2015.
BTC Guild Forum Thread

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Taugeran

Activity: 658

CCNA: There i fixed the internet.

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:13:02 AM

Difficulty adjustment ETA: <30minutes

Bitfury HW & Habañero : 1.625Th/s
tips/Donations: 1NoS89H3Mr6U5CmP4VwWzU2318JEMxHL1
Come join Coinbase
BitMinerN8

Activity: 626

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 03:27:29 AM

Difficulty adjustment ETA: <30minutes

Depressing...  Sad
eleuthria
Legendary

BTC Guild Owner

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 03:49:01 AM

I've been asked a few times, so here's a breakdown of what this latest round of updates to backend code will result in for the end user:

1) Improved server responsiveness due to load splitting across cores.  This should result in a marginal decrease in stales across the board.  While the majority of stales are due to latency between the pool and the miner (and additionally the hardware), there is always a marginal chance of stales due to increased processing time when new blocks hit.

2) Faster block notification from bitcoind to the pool server.  This will reduce the time the pool spends working on an old block.  The current system polls bitcoind very rapidly to find out about new blocks.  The new system uses bitcoind's blocknotify to send a signal to the pool process.  This should reduce the time from an average of ~15ms between notifications to 1ms or so.  Similar to the drop in stale rate, the actual timing difference is somewhat difficult to measure, though definitely an improvement.

3) Uniform worker names.  BTC Guild uses '_' to separate the username and worker name sections.  Some pools use '.' and some pools don't use anything.  I have had quite a few people coming from pools that use a '.' emailing me/PM'ing me on IRC with issues where the problem was a '.' instead of a '_' in their miner settings.  The new pool server will rewrite this change so that either one will work.  Additionally,  if you fail to specify a worker and only use your pool username, it will automatically default to the '_1' worker.

4) [Future Benefit] Additional merged mining coins will almost definitely be added in the month of January.  This will likely be the full suite of merged-minable coins (NMC, IXC, DVC, I0C, Groupcoin).

5) [Possible Future Expansion] There is a chance with this new server that the frontend will be rewritten in how it interacts with the pool servers, specifically for estimating worker speeds and whether or not a worker is idle.  This possible change will be first tested on Scrypt Guild since there is no existing framework already in place for those two functions for Scrypt Guild.

=== Scrypt Guild Benefits ===
All of the above will apply to ScryptGuild as well, since the core for both systems will be the same.  On top of the above, this new code is being written with the assumption that it is possible to run multiple types of coins in a single system.  This will allow Scrypt Guild to have user-selectable coins via the web interface.  Eventually this can also be expanded to profit switching based on coin profitability.

Just thought I'd clarify the above since a few people have asked what all this means for the end user.  While my focus in previous mentions of this work have all been about server stability/efficiency, it isn't always clear how much, if any, of that will end up being visible for the miners.

BTC Guild Forum Thread
Trongersoll

Activity: 448

Retired Software Engineer

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:10:16 AM

Merged mining, as you mentioned earlier, many of us just send our altcoins to BTC-e. Do you know if we need a separate address for each type of coin sent there? or can we use the same address for all of them? I assume that all these can be sold there? Since they aren't being made yet, no rush on an answer. Thanks man, you ROCK!!! Cool

*insert appropriate begging line here* 
BTC: 1CS6AV7VnjcPLxaTFoUhTjXK4mQCTzfSxE
Doge: DB22tiynvXKg7SyPpnH9jyfitKLTZb6ejc
eleuthria
Legendary

BTC Guild Owner

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 04:18:50 AM

Merged mining, as you mentioned earlier, many of us just send our altcoins to BTC-e. Do you know if we need a separate address for each type of coin sent there? or can we use the same address for all of them? I assume that all these can be sold there? Since they aren't being made yet, no rush on an answer. Thanks man, you ROCK!!! Cool

I don't believe BTC-e has trading for any of the other merged mining altcoins.  I think cryptsy is where people trade them?  I really haven't bothered looking into the sheer volume of junk coins out there, but the new server is being designed in a way it can handle all these chains at once.  IXC/DVC/I0C/GRC will all end up running on a separate server from the pools themselves that way there's no impact *at all* to regular performance.

I've previously been against the near-valueless coins because of the HDD/CPU time spent processing blocks on those chains could negatively impact performance.  While it wouldn't be a huge impact either way, they also add so little that the tradeoff didn't seem worth it.  With the new code, I'm making it so that tradeoff no longer exists.

BTC Guild Forum Thread
Taugeran

Activity: 658

CCNA: There i fixed the internet.

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:27:00 AM

I don't believe BTC-e has trading for any of the other merged mining altcoins.  I think cryptsy is where people trade them?  I really haven't bothered looking into the sheer volume of junk coins out there, but the new server is being designed in a way it can handle all these chains at once.  IXC/DVC/I0C/GRC will all end up running on a separate server from the pools themselves that way there's no impact *at all* to regular performance.

I've previously been against the near-valueless coins because of the HDD/CPU time spent processing blocks on those chains could negatively impact performance.  While it wouldn't be a huge impact either way, they also add so little that the tradeoff didn't seem worth it.  With the new code, I'm making it so that tradeoff no longer exists.

+infinity+1

Bitfury HW & Habañero : 1.625Th/s
tips/Donations: 1NoS89H3Mr6U5CmP4VwWzU2318JEMxHL1
Come join Coinbase
BitMinerN8

Activity: 626

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:28:00 AM

Most of the Alt coin Exchanges I have seen or had transactions with have separate funding addresses for each denomination.
CYPER

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:30:03 AM

I don't believe BTC-e has trading for any of the other merged mining altcoins.  I think cryptsy is where people trade them?  I really haven't bothered looking into the sheer volume of junk coins out there, but the new server is being designed in a way it can handle all these chains at once.  IXC/DVC/I0C/GRC will all end up running on a separate server from the pools themselves that way there's no impact *at all* to regular performance.

I've previously been against the near-valueless coins because of the HDD/CPU time spent processing blocks on those chains could negatively impact performance.  While it wouldn't be a huge impact either way, they also add so little that the tradeoff didn't seem worth it.  With the new code, I'm making it so that tradeoff no longer exists.

For the time I mined 80BTC and also mined 2BTC worth of NMC.
So for 2 months of mining (November and December) I got enough NMC to pay my electricity for 3 months.
You still think that is nothing?

You should have added them long time ago, as obviously adding them now will have less of an impact because of the ever increasing difficulty.

If this post helped you and you feel generous you know what to do: 1P9tXFy9bVgzrfPGeV7F8np26ZtFdCCWvz
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:35:25 AM

I don't believe BTC-e has trading for any of the other merged mining altcoins.  I think cryptsy is where people trade them?  I really haven't bothered looking into the sheer volume of junk coins out there, but the new server is being designed in a way it can handle all these chains at once.  IXC/DVC/I0C/GRC will all end up running on a separate server from the pools themselves that way there's no impact *at all* to regular performance.

I've previously been against the near-valueless coins because of the HDD/CPU time spent processing blocks on those chains could negatively impact performance.  While it wouldn't be a huge impact either way, they also add so little that the tradeoff didn't seem worth it.  With the new code, I'm making it so that tradeoff no longer exists.

So for 2 months of mining (November and December) I got enough NMC to pay my electricity for 3 months.

You should have added them long time ago, as obviously adding them now will have less of an impact because of the ever increasing difficulty.

"any of the other merged mining altcoins"

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
CYPER

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:37:42 AM

"any of the other merged mining altcoins"

I need to sleep now. I misread what he meant for which I apologize Smiley
Btw they are worthless now, but that can easily change Wink

If this post helped you and you feel generous you know what to do: 1P9tXFy9bVgzrfPGeV7F8np26ZtFdCCWvz
eleuthria
Legendary

BTC Guild Owner

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 04:39:05 AM

BTC Guild has been mining NMC for months.  It mined it during most of 2011, all of 2012 for users that wanted it.  It was only unavailable for a few months in early 2013 when getwork was shut down and it had not been added to the Stratum code yet.  During the few months it was unavailable, it was virtually worthless.

BTC Guild Forum Thread
zerokwel

Activity: 466

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:21:39 AM

woop. Glad altguild scryptguild etc is opening its doors soon . means my altcoin miners can move to the guild as well Smiley
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 09:46:35 AM

Good to hear there is a scryptguild, I can move my litecoin mining to guild too!
Oh, just Googled it, not up yet... but looking forward to it.

Great work eleuthria!
eleuthria
Legendary

BTC Guild Owner

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 10:08:32 AM

Good to hear there is a scryptguild, I can move my litecoin mining to guild too!
Oh, just Googled it, not up yet... but looking forward to it.

Great work eleuthria!

Yeah, unfortunately I was overzealous in my original timeline predictions.  It's amazing how many little bugs can slip through internal testing.  As much as I tried to break things on my local testing, it can't compete with the complete onslaught of junk data the live servers receive.  The new backend is *very* close to complete now, and is getting significant live testing for the majority of its functions already.  As soon as the backend is confirmed ready, Scrypt Guild will begin to take shape.

BTC Guild Forum Thread
AussieHash

Activity: 675

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 12:08:17 PM

Miner statistics bug with the new backend ?

I had 2 of my miners go down due to a datacentre reshuffle, which saw some miners powered down and restarted.

On restart 2 units were mining suboptimally, an Oct jupiter hashing at about 1/4 speed (confirmed on http GUI and shell cgminer) and a Nov jupiter hashing at about 1/2 speed.

btcguild moved them from "idle workers" to "active workers" but despite multiple refreshes over a few minutes, the estimated speed was clearly incorrect  547.64 GH/s and 654.68 GH/s

I assume btcguild is displaying the old estimated speed before they became idle, rather than their current estimated speed.
eleuthria
Legendary

BTC Guild Owner

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 07:47:39 PM

Miner statistics bug with the new backend ?

I had 2 of my miners go down due to a datacentre reshuffle, which saw some miners powered down and restarted.

On restart 2 units were mining suboptimally, an Oct jupiter hashing at about 1/4 speed (confirmed on http GUI and shell cgminer) and a Nov jupiter hashing at about 1/2 speed.

btcguild moved them from "idle workers" to "active workers" but despite multiple refreshes over a few minutes, the estimated speed was clearly incorrect  547.64 GH/s and 654.68 GH/s

I assume btcguild is displaying the old estimated speed before they became idle, rather than their current estimated speed.

I'm assuming this already sorted itself out.  The estimated speed has always used a large window to determine the average speed.  If your miners disconnect for a while (restart) and you turn them back on, it will take about an hour before your estimated speed returns to normal, since you have a period of no hashing.

Absolutely *nothing* has changed on the frontend or backend mining servers.  The server currently being used for testing is the validation server, which you're only connected to for a few seconds at most if you're running decent hardware.

BTC Guild Forum Thread
Joshwaa

Activity: 489

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 08:55:35 PM

Is XPM (Primecoin) one of the alt-currency you might be running eleuthria?  This would be good news? Thanks for all your great work.

Like what I said : 1JosHWaA2GywdZo9pmGLNJ5XSt8j7nzNiF
Don't like what I said : 1FuckU1u89U9nBKQu4rCHz16uF4RhpSTV
Don't Like BFL's Project Management : 1FuckbFLZpmWLuyHyFJw1RGkWm3yRM1L5D
eleuthria
Legendary

BTC Guild Owner

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2014, 09:00:22 PM

Is XPM (Primecoin) one of the alt-currency you might be running eleuthria?  This would be good news? Thanks for all your great work.

Primecoin probably won't be added.  My understanding is the proof of work verification for Primecoin is drastically different from the other coins, so it wouldn't be quite as simple to implement (certainly wouldn't work for a multicoin pool).

BTC Guild Forum Thread
Joshwaa

Activity: 489

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 09:05:14 PM

Yes, it is true it is quite different. Was just a hopeful idea. There are few pools that offer XPM, all of which I feel do not have enough transparency.  Also are you needing any guinea pigs for the Scrypt Guild?

Like what I said : 1JosHWaA2GywdZo9pmGLNJ5XSt8j7nzNiF
Don't like what I said : 1FuckU1u89U9nBKQu4rCHz16uF4RhpSTV
Don't Like BFL's Project Management : 1FuckbFLZpmWLuyHyFJw1RGkWm3yRM1L5D
Pages: « 1 ... 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 ... 426 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.