Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:13:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 ... 425 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] BTC Guild - Pays TxFees+NMC, Stratum, VarDiff, Private Servers  (Read 902902 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
CYPER

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 02:39:01 PM

Eleuthria, might you considering lowering your pool fees temporarily to incentivise more people to get off ghash.io and onto your pool ?

Lowering fees temporarily just to lure new people is a bit sneaky.
How would you feel if a business changed something that enticed you to switch and then removed it?

He can either lower the fees permanently to stay competitive or leave them as it is.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 02:44:45 PM

Eleuthria, might you considering lowering your pool fees temporarily to incentivise more people to get off ghash.io and onto your pool ?

Fair point. Bad knee-jerk suggestion brought on by this ghash.io nearing 51% craziness.
CYPER

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 02:50:52 PM

Fair point. Bad knee-jerk suggestion brought on by this ghash.io nearing 51% craziness.

I hope I don't get my posts deleted for making valid observations, but in my opinion the #1 reason for people using Ghash.io is the lack of fees, which made the pool so big.
My prediction is that if BTCGuild does not lower fees it will continue to lose position within the total network speed share.
At the end of the day people are greedy by nature and so would very much pay nothing, than anything. And in this case they also get even lower variance and steady payouts for paying nothing.
On top of that luck has been great too for the last couple of days.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 03:59:53 PM

in my opinion the #1 reason for people using Ghash.io is the lack of fees, which made the pool so big.

I disagree.  People tend to glom onto the larger/largest hashrate pool(s) with the assumption that they must be doing something right, regardless of fee's.  I believe that has been proven out by Deepbit's past success.

Ghash has the benefit of having their own large farm(s) of high end ASIC's.  So they are large even if they have no other miners.  And that is why they charge no fee's, not because of altruistic generosity, but because they create their own revenue and don't need the fees.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 04:05:25 PM

My prediction is that if BTCGuild does not lower fees it will continue to lose position within the total network speed share.

Again, I disagree.  Saying BTCGuild is loosing network share isn't a completely honest statement.  BTCGuild is NOT loosing hashrate.  I'm not even sure BTCGuild is loosing it's network percentage, but I haven't been keeping tabs on that so I don't really know.  It's just smaller than GHash at the moment.

TechByPC

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 04:20:29 PM

Again, I disagree.  Saying BTCGuild is loosing network share isn't a completely honest statement.  BTCGuild is NOT loosing hashrate.  I'm not even sure BTCGuild is loosing it's network percentage, but I haven't been keeping tabs on that so I don't really know.  It's just smaller than GHash at the moment.

Ugh, I saw a CYPER post because someone quoted it. Sad

As an experiment, I pointed identical hashing power at 4 different pools for some weeks. The experiment is still ongoing. In spite of the fee, BTCGuild still beats all the others for revenue. I disagree that people will leave the guild over the fee. It is worth every penny to have such a stable pool and a plugged in operator who cares about it.
ldh37

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 04:43:04 PM

Well, Ghash.io is getting a little negative press today over their network share.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-miners-ditch-ghash-io-pool-51-attack/

Donations Welcome - BTC: 1JUyXPSLgCtmp65LBJjN5MTFRQjWPhxExM
COINBASE - Buy/Sell BTC
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 07:14:47 PM

Again, I disagree.  Saying BTCGuild is loosing network share isn't a completely honest statement.  BTCGuild is NOT loosing hashrate.  I'm not even sure BTCGuild is loosing it's network percentage, but I haven't been keeping tabs on that so I don't really know.  It's just smaller than GHash at the moment.

If you discount GHash.io having the world's largest private mining farm, BTC Guild is nearly 1 PH/s ahead of their POOL.  Basically the only network share BTC Guild has lost has been the share of the network taken by the PRIVATE side of GHash.io.  ~20% of the entire network is privately controlled by GHash.io's private farm based on their post that stated 45% of their pool is their private farm, meaning instead of BTC Guild competing with other pools for roughly 85% of mining capacity (large private farms+solo miners were ~15% of the network before GHash.io), it is competing for roughly 65% of mining capacity.  Essentially 35% of the network pie chart is off limits, and BTC Guild has a little over a third of the network hash rate that can be obtained.

BTC Guild has continued to grow roughly in line with the other pools, which, discounting private farms, would mean it has not lost it's share of the public network.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 08:25:40 PM

Sorry if this was asked, but does anyone know any common resolution to high # of rejected shares?  i switched from slush to btcguild and all 4 antminers are showing very high number (~25%) of rejected shares.  I don think it is the hardware or internet, they were mining slush fine but i dont like that pool anymore.

I am pretty sure it's some setting i need to do figured if someone already knew, will save me some time.

Thanks

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
Guava

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:39:06 PM

Sorry if this was asked, but does anyone know any common resolution to high # of rejected shares?  i switched from slush to btcguild and all 4 antminers are showing very high number (~25%) of rejected shares.  I don think it is the hardware or internet, they were mining slush fine but i dont like that pool anymore.

I am pretty sure it's some setting i need to do figured if someone already knew, will save me some time.

Thanks

Try another stratum. I hade alot of rejects on eu so i switched to us.

1J1VmJKZbeEvNCxTtpcouini15RDkMchRP
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:03:33 PM

Sorry if this was asked, but does anyone know any common resolution to high # of rejected shares?  i switched from slush to btcguild and all 4 antminers are showing very high number (~25%) of rejected shares.  I don think it is the hardware or internet, they were mining slush fine but i dont like that pool anymore.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with antminers personally, but I do know there's a ton of users on the pool using them with nowhere near that reject percentage.  What type of reject is it showing on the dashboard?  Some pools don't report duplicate shares as rejects (they just don't report them at all), which is something I know early ASICs and a *ton* of FPGAs had lots of problems with.

CYPER

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:27:32 PM

in my opinion the #1 reason for people using Ghash.io is the lack of fees, which made the pool so big.

I disagree.  People tend to glom onto the larger/largest hashrate pool(s) with the assumption that they must be doing something right, regardless of fee's.  I believe that has been proven out by Deepbit's past success.

That might be true, but still people do not ignore the fee element and would use it to decide where to mine.
Also back in 2011 there was no pool even close to DeepBit size that was free.
I used to mine in DeepBit and then if I remember correctly I switched to BTCMine, which was by invitation only.

My comment is based on the https://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=24hrs pie chart.
BTCGuild and Ghash.io used to be equal and now Ghash.io is more than double BTCGuild (40% vs 16%)
From where I am standing Ghash.io has significantly increased its share of the total network speed.
CYPER

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:29:51 PM

If you discount GHash.io having the world's largest private mining farm, BTC Guild is nearly 1 PH/s ahead of their POOL.  Basically the only network share BTC Guild has lost has been the share of the network taken by the PRIVATE side of GHash.io.  ~20% of the entire network is privately controlled by GHash.io's private farm based on their post that stated 45% of their pool is their private farm, meaning instead of BTC Guild competing with other pools for roughly 85% of mining capacity (large private farms+solo miners were ~15% of the network before GHash.io), it is competing for roughly 65% of mining capacity.  Essentially 35% of the network pie chart is off limits, and BTC Guild has a little over a third of the network hash rate that can be obtained.

BTC Guild has continued to grow roughly in line with the other pools, which, discounting private farms, would mean it has not lost it's share of the public network.

Isn't the private part owned by people, who trade it on cex.io?
The only difference being I own my miners and they own just the hashrate (cloud hashing)?

eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:33:01 PM

Isn't the private part owned by people, who trade it on cex.io?
The only difference being I own my miners and they own just the hashrate (cloud hashing)?

Ghash.io owns the private part.  Buying it on cex.io doesn't mean you own it unless you trade it for physical hardware.  They get the best of both worlds, they own/control the hardware, while people pay more than it will ever mine on cex.io.  But if they weren't selling it for amounts above what it can ever produce, they'd still own that hash rate and have it mining for themselves.

They also charge a "maintenance fee" on the cloud mining that is far greater than the actual cost to maintain it.

My comment is based on the https://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=24hrs pie chart.
BTCGuild and Ghash.io used to be equal and now Ghash.io is more than double BTCGuild (40% vs 16%)
From where I am standing Ghash.io has significantly increased its share of the total network speed.

That pie chart has always been useless.  BTC Guild is ~25% of network hash rate.  24-hour, hell, even 4-day charts are USELESS because they are heavily influenced by luck.  http://blockorigin.pfoe.be is accurate for BTC Guild's share of the network over the last 2016 blocks.  They're not right on Ghash.io currently because they haven't been able to catch up on all the scraping due to blockexplorer.com being stuck for almost 2 weeks.  Still influenced by luck, but SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate than blockchain.info.

CYPER

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:48:06 PM

Ghash.io owns the private part.  Buying it on cex.io doesn't mean you own it unless you trade it for physical hardware.  They get the best of both worlds, they own/control the hardware, while people pay more than it will ever mine on cex.io. But if they weren't selling it for amounts above what it can ever produce, they'd still own that hash rate and have it mining for themselves.

So am I wrong to assume that the hashrate of their own hardware has remained fairly the same, while the the share of the independent miners has increased?

They also charge a "maintenance fee" on the cloud mining that is far greater than the actual cost to maintain it.

That can be also said for BTCGuild too. Just stating the obvious  Wink

That pie chart has always been useless.  BTC Guild is ~25% of network hash rate.  24-hour, hell, even 4-day charts are USELESS because they are heavily influenced by luck.  http://blockorigin.pfoe.be is accurate for BTC Guild's share of the network over the last 2 weeks.  Still influenced by luck, but SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate than blockchain.info.

The stats on that website are based on the past 10-12 days, which does not show the current position of the pools.
I don't think Ghash.io controls only 30.85% of the network, because people would not be freaking out if they did.
Unfortunately there is no way to predict the current total hash rate of the network as it is based on solved blocks, which in turn is skewed based on luck.

What do you think are the real current percentages of the top 2 pools?
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 09:52:48 PM

Ghash.io owns the private part.  Buying it on cex.io doesn't mean you own it unless you trade it for physical hardware.  They get the best of both worlds, they own/control the hardware, while people pay more than it will ever mine on cex.io. But if they weren't selling it for amounts above what it can ever produce, they'd still own that hash rate and have it mining for themselves.

So am I wrong to assume that the hashrate of their own hardware has remained fairly the same, while the the share of the independent miners has increased?

That pie chart has always been useless.  BTC Guild is ~25% of network hash rate.  24-hour, hell, even 4-day charts are USELESS because they are heavily influenced by luck.  http://blockorigin.pfoe.be is accurate for BTC Guild's share of the network over the last 2 weeks.  Still influenced by luck, but SIGNIFICANTLY more accurate than blockchain.info.

The stats on that website are based on the past 10-12 days, which does not show the current position of the pools.
I don't think Ghash.io controls only 30.85% of the network, because people would not be freaking out if they did.
Unfortunately there is no way to predict the current total hash rate of the network as it is based on solved blocks, which in turn is skewed based on luck.

BTC Guild is ~25% of the full network.  GHash.io is in the upper 30s of the full network.  BTC Guild's percent of publicly available hashrate (private farms decrease the network share of all public hashrate pools) has not changed in months.

CYPER

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:00:45 PM

BTC Guild is ~25%.  GHash.io is in the upper 30s, possibly 40.  BTC Guild's percent of publicly available hashrate (private farms decrease the network share of all public hashrate pools) has not changed in months.

Fair enough.
It is just that from a regular person point of view Ghash.io growth seems much bigger than any other pool and so people are freaking out.
I would also assume you have no plans to reduce fees, which is your own personal choice of course, so it will be interesting at least for me to see how this will play out.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 12:51:17 AM

That's kind of my point.

From what I can piece together Ghash is NOT a free pool.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 12:57:07 AM

That's kind of my point.

From what I can piece together Ghash is NOT a free pool.

According to this, they are:

https://ghash.io/ghashio_press_release.pdf

Fee free pools worry me. If you're not knowingly paying for a service, you still end up paying for it - you just don't know what the terms are.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
jedimstr

Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 01:10:10 AM

There's always P2Pool nodes if you guys are looking for No Fee/Free pools... if you can stand the extreme variance.

Pages: « 1 ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 ... 425 »
  Print  

Jump to: