Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:23:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 725 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Spondoolies-Tech - carrier grade, data center ready mining rigs  (Read 1260002 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
JakeTri

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:12:33 PM

Does anyone know if "mg_psu_limit" and "mg_work_mode" are still used by 1.3.16 or newer firmware ?
I know that everything can be set in "mg_custom_mode" but I want to understand if content from this 2 files is used anywhere or I can delete them.

BTC donations always welcome: 1JakeTriwbahMYp1rSfJbTn7Afd1w62p2q
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zvisha

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:47:06 PM

Does anyone know if "mg_psu_limit" and "mg_work_mode" are still used by 1.3.16 or newer firmware ?
I know that everything can be set in "mg_custom_mode" but I want to understand if content from this 2 files is used anywhere or I can delete them.

They are not used.
zvisha

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:48:06 PM

They are not used.

But if you ever downgrade FW, they will be missed by the SW   Cry
JakeTri

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:01:30 PM

They are not used.

I'll keep them with safe values just in case of a SW downgrade to 1.2.xx Smiley

BTC donations always welcome: 1JakeTriwbahMYp1rSfJbTn7Afd1w62p2q
zvisha

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:40:26 PM

They are not used.

I'll keep them with safe values just in case of a SW downgrade to 1.2.xx Smiley

Yes.
Just note that 1.2.X is not good for May batch. We have new inductor that is not supported by 1.2.X. 1.3.X knows all inductors.
zvisha

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:47:15 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2014, 04:00:13 PM by zvisha

I created new FW version that has option to customise DC2DC current (1.3.31-experiment).
If you have COLD ambient temperature (<25C) and slow corner May batch unit:
Set
-----
DC2DC current limit to 63
AC2DC limit to 1265
start voltage to 0.68
max voltage to 0.73
fans to 80%
------
and you just might get about ~1.5.

If you don't have slow corner May unit or don't know what Asic corner unit you have, set start voltage to 0.660. I didn't try it but it might give you a bit more.

Just monitor the DCt column in the ASIC stats that it is not over 90, and I don't know how stable it is, so if you leave it over night you might loose hash rate if it falls.

It's in custom FW downloads, 1.3.31-experiment, only for the brave for now.

raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:51:52 PM

bitcoin made a small jump today  Smiley scraping together what I can to get more of these in-stock SP10's... (what other company would have their main S/W engineer give advice on overclocking ^^)

i want 10 x SP10 and I want them hosted in my living room.  Cheesy

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
bobsag3

Activity: 546

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:53:01 PM

Fedex beat the living crap out of DHL for delivery, my units ordered over last Friday/Saturday are out for delivery. Faster delivery than even UPS express out of China- the previous speed winner. I am beyond pleased with the change in courier Smiley
raskul

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:54:23 PM

Fedex beat the living crap out of DHL for delivery, my units ordered over last Friday/Saturday are out for delivery. Faster delivery than even UPS express out of China- the previous speed winner. I am beyond pleased with the change in courier Smiley

i think it makes a difference where in the world you reside, actually. DHL are zip fast for me in Scotland... UPS tend to be unable to find my house... good that you are getting your rigs in as quick time as you can  Grin

merv77

Activity: 574

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:01:42 PM

very happy to say I received my 4 SP10 miners today and now all are hashing away nicely  Grin

I have chosen to run them in ~1.35Th / ~1100W / ~quiet mode, for me at moment they seem to be at a reasonable noise level (70dB) for domestic use.
I have Dragon miners giving similar noise level of 70dB, so running in same room as Dragon miners doesn't increase the total sound level.
I'll be looking at buying or building a soundproof server rack/cupboard to run them at full speed in turbo mode in the near future.
they are drawing just under 900 watts / 240 volts at the wall.

the current hash rate at the pool (eligius) is ranging from 1150 to 1250 GH/s, but they only been running for about an hour.

BTW, I must say these miner are very impressive and are built to perfection,
you could say these are the Ferrari's of bitcoin miners, and can be just as loud (in turbo mode) as a Ferrari at 8,000 rpm   Cheesy

no other bitcoin miner (that I know of and I have been through a few) comes close to this level of quality and perfection.

Well done Spondoolies Tech, with this high standard of manufacturing I think you'll be around for the long term.
Hopefully more and more customers realize this is the way to go as the long term solution for bitcoin's future.
I can't wait to see the SP30 and what ever you have planned after the SP30.

Many thanks to the whole team at Spondoolies Tech.
Cheers
raskul

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:11:04 PM

very happy to say I received my 4 SP10 miners today and now all are hashing away nicely  Grin

I have chosen to run them in ~1.35Th / ~1100W / ~quiet mode, for me at moment they seem to be at a reasonable noise level (70dB) for domestic use.
I have Dragon miners giving similar noise level of 70dB, so running in same room as Dragon miners doesn't increase the total sound level.
I'll be looking at buying or building a soundproof server rack/cupboard to run them at full speed in turbo mode in the near future.
they are drawing just under 900 watts / 240 volts at the wall.

the current hash rate at the pool (eligius) is ranging from 1150 to 1250 GH/s, but they only been running for about an hour.

BTW, I must say these miner are very impressive and are built to perfection,
you could say these are the Ferrari's of bitcoin miners, and can be just as loud (in turbo mode) as a Ferrari at 8,000 rpm   Cheesy

no other bitcoin miner (that I know of and I have been through a few) comes close to this level of quality and perfection.

Well done Spondoolies Tech, with this high standard of manufacturing I think you'll be around for the long term.
Hopefully more and more customers realize this is the way to go as the long term solution for bitcoin's future.
I can't wait to see the SP30 and what ever you have planned after the SP30.

Many thanks to the whole team at Spondoolies Tech.
Cheers

Merv, you need to update your sig mate.. price on the GB is lower now, i'm led to believe (which, in my mind $2,900 is just ridiculously low for the equipment you are getting).

you'll see a very stable rig hashing at your expected rate once it's fully ramped in, mine has been perfectly stable since it was plugged in, with only miniscule variation in hashrate - on account of weather/temperature changes.

best luck with yours! looks like BTC price is gonna help us break even all the quicker!!

timmah

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:21:35 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2014, 04:36:43 PM by timmah

There are blade design differences bearing differences motor differences etc. There are 40mm fans ranging from 10 dB to 100 dB. Again if someone wants to bother and look at what fan and what specs. they currently are, they can then source their own "better" or "quieter" equivalent.
A fan spinning at 6000~9000 rpm can never be quiet, no matter the bearing or blade design. It's impossible. At this level, you don't hear any noise from the ball bearing, you just hear the airflow. At this fan speeds, you will NEVER achieve laminar flow.

The bearing does matter if you look for fans spinning at 300~500 rpm. Then you even prefer a sleeve bearing over ball bearing, because sleeve bearing is more quiet. Again, at this level you only hear the mechanics of the fan, not the actual airflow. But for fans with many thousand rpm, ball bearing is the only option and turbulent airflow will always be noisy.

If you want a quiet SP10, go for watercooling.

I agree with the watercooling, a cold plate could be placed on the bottom but it will only draw heat from the one blade, although it could pull out enough heat to turn the fans down depending if a chiller is used and pump, etc.

The thing is that with more than a few of these the noise is an issue too, also the heat, with the concentration in such a small area I think that it is not able to pull all the heat out with the slimmer heat sinks and the smaller fans, even if it does pull 150cfm.  On a 42u Rack they have to be spaced about 4u apart or the heat from the miner below will affect the top.  These are sitting on rack trays and a lot of heat is actually dissipated from the bottom, it's hot enough to cook an egg Wink well with my contact thermometer it shows that the front of the heat sinks get to over 100c and is about the same on the bottom of the case.  The rack trays that I'm using has some vent holes and it helps a little bit but the entire tray gets hot as well so there is a large amount of heat transfer.  It's hot enough to burn my hand if I try to lift the miner from the bottom where the heat sinks are touching the case.  Over 100c as well.

From what I've looked at it may only cost a couple hundred at most for a single machine, cheaper of course with more since the same pumps and chiller would be able to be used for many miners.  Still for one miner it may be even less as I've seen some pumps that are less than $20 and would be able to move more than enough water though a cold plate...

I think I'm going to give this a shot and if it works I'll post some pics as I think that with one SP10 I may not even need a chiller as long as I have a large enough reservoir of water, I may hook it to a radiator that they sell on Amazon for about $40 and a 12" radiator fan which can also be found for about $20 on Amazon.

Oh, also to add where I live it gets very hot, up to 120f in the summer, my central AC does just fine but now with the extra heat from about 10Th of miners in total it can get toasty and this is sitting in a 10x15 sqft living room (which can not be used as a living room due to the sound) and my AC is on 100% of the time, there is air being exhausted out a window but it is not enough, on a good day and if the temp outside is below 85-90f I may get the living room ambient temp to about 85f but when it is hot like over 90f outside then it can get close to 100f inside.

This increases my power bill from not just the miners but also the AC on 100% at full blast all the time.  The bill is about $300-$400 more so it would likely be worth it to spend the one time costs to get water cooling system installed.  I'm not sure about others but it's worth the money as just one or 2 months would make up for the extra hardware, especially in the hottest part where it is over 120f in the day.
merv77

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:22:39 PM

Merv, you need to update your sig mate.. price on the GB is lower now, i'm led to believe (which, in my mind $2,900 is just ridiculously low for the equipment you are getting).

you'll see a very stable rig hashing at your expected rate once it's fully ramped in, mine has been perfectly stable since it was plugged in, with only miniscule variation in hashrate - on account of weather/temperature changes.

best luck with yours! looks like BTC price is gonna help us break even all the quicker!!

sig fixed...

btw, I bought my SP10's miners just before the group buy, I did get the 10% discount.  Even thou I paid a little more than $3200/$2900 group buy price I'm happy all the same.

Thanks raskul, and good luck to you to.
Cheers
vpn1

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:04:21 PM

Quite impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FLTGs45BFk8

http://www.kellsystems.com/
Collider

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:08:17 PM

@vpn1 look at maximum recommended thermal load: only 1-2 sp10s depending on cabinet

watercooling might work but the cost of a watercooled contact plate that size would be astronomical, then add the cost for radiator etc... not a viable solution

Also, you can actually stack them on top of each other, it works fine when the normal DC temperatures aren´t above 27°C (Cold isle).
The bottom plate heat just gets transferred from unit to unit but it is still expelled trough air movement.

If you need a DC solution, just call up your favourite DC and ask them how much load / cooling they provide per cabinet.
DCs are normally built to dissipate the amount of heat they put in. (But don´t bother with 3KW racks or some similar BS)
zvisha

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:25:39 PM

There are blade design differences bearing differences motor differences etc. There are 40mm fans ranging from 10 dB to 100 dB. Again if someone wants to bother and look at what fan and what specs. they currently are, they can then source their own "better" or "quieter" equivalent.
A fan spinning at 6000~9000 rpm can never be quiet, no matter the bearing or blade design. It's impossible. At this level, you don't hear any noise from the ball bearing, you just hear the airflow. At this fan speeds, you will NEVER achieve laminar flow.

The bearing does matter if you look for fans spinning at 300~500 rpm. Then you even prefer a sleeve bearing over ball bearing, because sleeve bearing is more quiet. Again, at this level you only hear the mechanics of the fan, not the actual airflow. But for fans with many thousand rpm, ball bearing is the only option and turbulent airflow will always be noisy.

If you want a quiet SP10, go for watercooling.

I agree with the watercooling, a cold plate could be placed on the bottom but it will only draw heat from the one blade, although it could pull out enough heat to turn the fans down depending if a chiller is used and pump, etc.

The thing is that with more than a few of these the noise is an issue too, also the heat, with the concentration in such a small area I think that it is not able to pull all the heat out with the slimmer heat sinks and the smaller fans, even if it does pull 150cfm.  On a 42u Rack they have to be spaced about 4u apart or the heat from the miner below will affect the top.  These are sitting on rack trays and a lot of heat is actually dissipated from the bottom, it's hot enough to cook an egg Wink well with my contact thermometer it shows that the front of the heat sinks get to over 100c and is about the same on the bottom of the case.  The rack trays that I'm using has some vent holes and it helps a little bit but the entire tray gets hot as well so there is a large amount of heat transfer.  It's hot enough to burn my hand if I try to lift the miner from the bottom where the heat sinks are touching the case.  Over 100c as well.

From what I've looked at it may only cost a couple hundred at most for a single machine, cheaper of course with more since the same pumps and chiller would be able to be used for many miners.  Still for one miner it may be even less as I've seen some pumps that are less than $20 and would be able to move more than enough water though a cold plate...

I think I'm going to give this a shot and if it works I'll post some pics as I think that with one SP10 I may not even need a chiller as long as I have a large enough reservoir of water, I may hook it to a radiator that they sell on Amazon for about $40 and a 12" radiator fan which can also be found for about $20 on Amazon.

Oh, also to add where I live it gets very hot, up to 120f in the summer, my central AC does just fine but now with the extra heat from about 10Th of miners in total it can get toasty and this is sitting in a 10x15 sqft living room (which can not be used as a living room due to the sound) and my AC is on 100% of the time, there is air being exhausted out a window but it is not enough, on a good day and if the temp outside is below 85-90f I may get the living room ambient temp to about 85f but when it is hot like over 90f outside then it can get close to 100f inside.

This increases my power bill from not just the miners but also the AC on 100% at full blast all the time.  The bill is about $300-$400 more so it would likely be worth it to spend the one time costs to get water cooling system installed.  I'm not sure about others but it's worth the money as just one or 2 months would make up for the extra hardware, especially in the hottest part where it is over 120f in the day.

Just as a side note: if you use other cooling, you can use extra AC2DC power to get more out of the ASICs. The fans eat about 70 Watts - it's about 5% of the AC2DC power. If the cooling is effective and the ASICs stay cold, you also save on the leakage. So I would guess one could get more from such system.
vpn1

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:35:33 PM

Collider I see that, just discovered this whole new world of quiet cabinets for servers so rapidly checking each out. I think that one has its own built in cooling system (not just fans), there are appear to be quite a few makers of these cabinets different sizes, different heat tolerances etc. For those seems it is based on the fan they are using to extract the heat from the cabinet which course can always be swapped. Main thing based on all the demo videos they are all quite effective.

This one is small maybe good for 1 unit for the home, cheap enough at 650 dollars to get a good nights sleep and still keep on hashing.

http://www.xrackpro.com/XRackPro2-4U-Noise-Reduction-Enclosure-Cabinet-p/xr-nre2-4u-us.htm

Haven't looked yet buy I'd bet there are DYI plants out there to do this. Just a box with sound proofing materials and some fans.
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 05:52:49 PM

RockerBox engine "ultrasound" images from the TO review done last week in GUC.
Unlike PickAxe, RockerBox doesn't use any custom placement or custom designed cells.

It shows that the automatic tool did a great job on the pipeline placement.
Each RB engine compose of two pipeline SHA256 engines, each pipeline SHA256 engine has State part (placed internally) and W part (placed externally)

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:16:16 PM

RockerBox engine "ultrasound" images from the TO review done last week in GUC.
Unlike PickAxe, RockerBox doesn't use any custom placement or custom designed cells.

It shows that the automatic tool did a great job on the pipeline placement.
Each RB engine compose of two pipeline SHA256 engines, each pipeline SHA256 engine has State part (placed internally) and W part (placed externally)

ASIC porn is always welcomed!

merv77

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:39:42 PM

thanks for the good news update SP Tech  Shocked
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 725 »
  Print  

Jump to: