Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:19:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 [309] 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032123 times)
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:14:21 PM

The difficulty is increasing so fast that even though Bitcoin prices are going up, it is hard to catch up with the new eqpt for mining Bitcoins!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 02:40:08 PM

The difficulty is increasing so fast that even though Bitcoin prices are going up, it is hard to catch up with the new eqpt for mining Bitcoins!

I guess the way I see it is that it's becoming cheaper to become a Bitcoin node and more people are doing it.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:43:53 PM

I guess the way I see it is that it's becoming cheaper to become a Bitcoin node and more people are doing it.

this is true. 

we all have huge gains to protect and mining or being a node is something all of us should want to do.  not only that, if the coins you make go and add several zeros onto the end you'll not regret it.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:52:53 PM

Wall St is not only holding Silicon Valley back, it is holding the rest of us back.  as in the entire country is being held hostage for a continuous stream of bailouts.

here was my update last May 17:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:    Conflict
Date:    Fri, 17 May 2013 08:22:19 -0700
To:    undisclosed-recipients:;

I've detected a new dynamic that is setting up that I believe will be a significant factor in driving Bitcoin adoption.  I have not heard this "concept" framed in this manner on the Forums or anywhere else so I believe you're hearing it formally stated here first:

Wall Street vs. Silicon Valley.

I first detected this in Chris Dixon's first interview at TechCrunch here:  http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/29/chris-dixon-plans-on-investing-in-more-bitcoin-startups-says-more-entrepreneurs-are-getting-involved/

Then again in another of his videos yesterday:  http://pandodaily.com/2013/05/16/for-chris-dixon-the-next-big-thing-might-be-bitcoin/

And finally, it came thru again in the GigaOM event last nite which I attended.

The bottom line is this:  The powers to be in Silicon Valley are anxious to snatch the reins of their financial destiny away from the banks and Wall Street upon who've they've depended on forever.  And they are going to use Bitcoin as a launching pad to develop a myriad of technical tools to accomplish this task.  They will also contribute their talents in making sure Bitcoin is secure from attack.  They will also use their considerable monetary war chest to lobby Congress to protect Bitcoin for the long term.  These events are how it's going to play out even though they might not exactly realize it yet.

This is another play on the theme of how "geeks are taking over the world" Wink

I believe they will be successful.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:54:27 PM

Is it just me, or did he openly declare war on DC and everything it stands for?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:56:10 PM

watch the Chris Dixon links from above.

Wall St and Washington work hand in hand. 
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 02:58:01 PM

His side is the side I want to be on.

Also, I've thought about investing in Blueseed but I'm not an accredited US investor.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 02:59:26 PM

personally, i think the Money Masters in Wall St are what corrupts Washington.  this is the power of the printing press when controlled by private hands (banksters).

that is where the root of the problem lies and this is why we're here.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:36:00 PM

personally, i think the Money Masters in Wall St are what corrupts Washington.  this is the power of the printing press when controlled by private hands (banksters).

So I take it to mean that they are important facilitators of great human creations, much like how war industry has bettered human lives in various ways.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 03:38:51 PM

So I take it to mean that they are important facilitators of great human creations, much like how war industry has bettered human lives in various ways.

All Wars Are Bankers' Wars
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:40:14 PM

it's a basic Austrian principle.  let us not forget:

"The few who understand the system, will either be so interested from it's profits or so dependant on it's favors, that there will be no opposition from that class." — Rothschild Brothers of London, 1863

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:49:25 PM

accredited US investor.

In land of the free you have to be rich to become rich. Even in Finland you can invest into whatever you like.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Melbustus
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 04:11:01 PM

Yes, he did. With a big Y-Combinator logo on the podium, mentioning bitcoin several times, and telling people to go build apps that facilitate exiting the current system.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that stuff like this is indicative of a greater trend of people (especially tech-savvy people, obv) viewing government more as a product that requires competitive iteration and customer mobility than as some inevitable and immutable entity in and an of itself. The speaker made a great point; namely that mobile tech is not about location-based-apps, but about making location *irrelevant*.

The way that technology enables both the theoretical decentralization of services and the building of non-location-centric communities implies that traditional notions of patriotism and nationalism can become more aligned with people's natural way of life and ideology across physical boundaries. This is a big shift. Obviously philosophers have debated the nature of human interaction, ideology, and government for millenia, but technological interconnectedness really does open up a very wide range of new possibilities.

Interesting times, indeed.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Ivanhoe

Activity: 841

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 04:41:17 PM

Yes, he did. With a big Y-Combinator logo on the podium, mentioning bitcoin several times, and telling people to go build apps that facilitate exiting the current system.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that stuff like this is indicative of a greater trend of people (especially tech-savvy people, obv) viewing government more as a product that requires competitive iteration and customer mobility than as some inevitable and immutable entity in and an of itself. The speaker made a great point; namely that mobile tech is not about location-based-apps, but about making location *irrelevant*.

The way that technology enables both the theoretical decentralization of services and the building of non-location-centric communities implies that traditional notions of patriotism and nationalism can become more aligned with people's natural way of life and ideology across physical boundaries. This is a big shift. Obviously philosophers have debated the nature of human interaction, ideology, and government for millenia, but technological interconnectedness really does open up a very wide range of new possibilities.

+1, transformation from the "place of spaces" to the "space of flows". Got a great article about this trend, i will look it up for you.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:14:30 PM

I would not have been so impressed, and the whole thing wouldn't feel so awesome, if Bitcoin price had never gone to $2.

As for PMs, my point is still that central banks can easily one-up you at PMs when things get really desperate, Bitcoin, ain't so easy. So unless your apocalypse theory is of the everyone for himself absolute jungle flavor, don't buy too much.

Yep, that was key. Ponzis don't bounce remember?

That was a bad time. The shorts were out in force. It took heavy discipline to buy that crash.

I made my last purchase at just North of $2.00 which was the low-water mark on Tradehill.  For me it was not 'discipline' as much as 'frustration' and 'stubbornness'.  I would have made one more double-down at around $1.50's, but we didn't get there.

To me Bitcoin was obviously not a simple match for Ponzi (though there were and are some shallow similarities), and then, just like now, I could see an argument for enormous utility and the arithmetic for much higher valuations.  I actually considered myself to be playing a valuable supporting role simply by soaking up liquidity in those dark days.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 06:11:43 PM

I liked what he said. If you don't like something you opt out. I opted out of voting before I had the right to do so, but haven't gone much further yet.
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:18:17 PM

The bolded part is exactly what the concept of Phyles deals with in Neal Stephensons novel The Diamond Age. Recommended reading if you're interested in that stuff - which you seem to be the way you wrote that post. This was originally one of the things which drew my attention to Bitcoin as I realized how Bitcoin can help facilitate the creation of such things as non-location-centric communities as you put it.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 07:19:38 PM

don't worry, i get plenty wrong too.

this f*ckin Dow just won't go down and i've been over a year too early on the short side.  one of these days i'll be right. Tongue

but the thing is, i've been SO right with gold and BTC i've been able to hold that pair trade (long Bitcoin:short stocks) the whole time with huge returns.  i think we're getting close to hitting on both sides of that trade though.

if you trade long enough, you'll realize if you can be right more often than wrong you're doing good.  if you can be right for 2 out of the 3 markets you're trading in, that's real good.

better cut ur loss dow prob will top above 30k

Btw, if you don't think Bitcoin has the potential to deflate the stock market then you're not dreaming the true Bitcoin Dream.  Tongue

SO MANY dollars are locked up in the stock market right now. Imo, the stock market is the quintessential representation of US dollar hegemony and power. It's the only thing keeping the US afloat. While not as big as the UST market, it's psychological importance is bigger.

For Bitcoin to achieve the heights we're all dreaming about with lots of zeroes on the end, it will have to crack stocks to draw from that pool of dollars.

Could this be the trigger?
Dept. of Homeland Security Prepares for November Food Stamp Riots?
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 08:01:53 PM

The bottom line is this:  The powers to be in Silicon Valley are anxious to snatch the reins of their financial destiny away from the banks and Wall Street upon who've they've depended on forever.  And they are going to use Bitcoin as a launching pad to develop a myriad of technical tools to accomplish this task.  They will also contribute their talents in making sure Bitcoin is secure from attack.  They will also use their considerable monetary war chest to lobby Congress to protect Bitcoin for the long term.  These events are how it's going to play out even though they might not exactly realize it yet.

This is very interesting and something I haven't considered before, but makes a lot of sense in light of all the VC focus recently.

The technology industry constantly builds upon previous technologies to create new concepts not even initially considered. Bitcoin as a technology platform works very well in this view, similar to how the basic internet protocol has spawned whole new industries.

As the technology industry relies on Bitcoin more and more, they will fight to ensure it's survival.

Melbustus
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 08:35:29 PM

The bolded part is exactly what the concept of Phyles deals with in Neal Stephensons novel The Diamond Age. Recommended reading if you're interested in that stuff - which you seem to be the way you wrote that post. This was originally one of the things which drew my attention to Bitcoin as I realized how Bitcoin can help facilitate the creation of such things as non-location-centric communities as you put it.

I read Cryptonomicon about 10yrs ago, but haven't read Diamond Age; will check it out. Agree with the theme here that bitcoin is one of many decentralizing technologies that can potentially change a lot about human interaction.

Relevance to thread:

Goldbugs who don't like bitcoin often argue the history of gold; ie, the fact that it's been money for 6000 years (minus the last 42, arguably), while bitcoin is barely 5 years old. What this argument totally fails to appreciate is that the last 100yrs in human history have been so unlike any other 100yr span in our 100000years as homo-sapiens that it's not unreasonable at all to expect things with multi-thousand-year inertia to come to their end in the next few years/decades.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Pages: « 1 ... 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 [309] 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: