Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:47:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 [720] 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:37:50 AM

Two thoughts:

What would Satoshi think of sidechains?

(Hint: I suspect he likes them ... )

What if someone(s) involved with Blockstream is Satoshi?

Now it is all out in the open, like the source code, which for sidechains, does not even exist yet.

That sound pretty legendary dude Shocked

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:40:18 AM

Two thoughts:

Now it is all out in the open, like the source code, which for sidechains, does not even exist yet.

Cool a speculation thread with people talking about SC, I read the paper the other day and almost cried. This is truly a thing of beauty, I remember writing on my notes: 21Million BTC | ∞  SC Assets

Alot of smart people working on that team/with, likely he has been involved at some stage unbeknownst to all or most.

HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:04:54 AM

That would only work if ALL users decided to move to SCbtc and no user wanted to buy BTC under any circumstances, even with spreads in the thousands of dollars or more.  If the tech were that far superior then SCbtc deserves to win out.  In reality, there will most likely be debate over which system is better and not all users will convert, resulting in normal arbitration.
People would certainly buy BTC if scBTC were worth more, but only at something less than the scBTC value in order to convert it and make a profit. There would be no reason to convert back

Yes there is reason to convert back.  You sell the scBTC at a profit and take the profit and buy more BTC to convert.  Rinse and repeat.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:20:39 AM

Two thoughts:

Cool a speculation thread with people talking about SC, I read the paper the other day and almost cried. This is truly a thing of beauty, I remember writing on my notes: 21Million BTC | ∞  SC Assets

Alot of smart people working on that team/with, likely he has been involved at some stage unbeknownst to all or most.

Sidechains seem to have no downsides for Bitcoin that I can see, and solve a bunch of really thorny problems.  As long as they are defensible it should have huge value for a greatly expanded Bitcoin userbase.  Probably for us BTC hodlers as well in monetary terms as well as for more philosophical aspects.  Some sidechains could be totally 'licensed' to the government's satisfaction so all of the big names could jump on board.

My guess is that there will be some who try desperately to yank out Satoshi's 1MB cap ASAP before it's to late.  As long as the cap is in place the system will be much more difficult to subvert or monopolize and that has been driving some clued in people crazy for as long as I've been watching things.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:20:59 AM

That would only work if ALL users decided to move to SCbtc and no user wanted to buy BTC under any circumstances, even with spreads in the thousands of dollars or more.  If the tech were that far superior then SCbtc deserves to win out.  In reality, there will most likely be debate over which system is better and not all users will convert, resulting in normal arbitration.
People would certainly buy BTC if scBTC were worth more, but only at something less than the scBTC value in order to convert it and make a profit. There would be no reason to convert back

Yes there is reason to convert back.  You sell the scBTC at a profit and take the profit and buy more BTC to convert.  Rinse and repeat.

if i were setting up a SC, i'd just fork Bitcoin, add an anonymity function, then let it run.  there'd be a good chance i could get a full on rush into my SC.
HeliKopterBen

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:22:44 AM

Say a microtransactions sidechain is developed with a fixed supply of one-billion Micros, and an exchange rate of 1 BTC = 1 million Micros. That means that 1000BTC *total* will ever be able to move to the sidechain. Say the sidechain is very successful; ie, Micros work really well and start to gain a lot of real-world economic traction and value. So the 1000BTC gets transferred over.

Now say that Micros continue to see more use. Their purchasing power goes up, but this has no effect whatsoever on the purchasing power of bitcoin because the max has already moved in. Now all we have is another alt that *used to* have an easy decentralized way of buying it with bitcoin.

Arbitrage.  For example:  All 1000 bitcoin are transferred and micros increase in value to the point that:

1 million micros = $800
1 bitcoin = $400

Anyone wanting to arb this spread can sell 1 million micros for $800, buy 1 bitcoin for $400, pocket $400, convert that 1 bitcoin to 1 million micros, rinse and repeat.  Most likely, one billion micros will never be in circulation at any point in time because of arbitrage.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:29:21 AM

No that doesn't work once all the BTC are converted. The only ones you could possibly find to buy for conversion would be newly mined coins, and miners would have no reason to sell them to you. They can just convert themselves (which is what they would do).

The arbitrage you is exactly what would happen, but it would quickly convert all the BTC until there were none left, then the main chain would simply die (other than for mining purposes).

HeliKopterBen

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:45:01 AM

No that doesn't work once all the BTC are converted. The only ones you could possibly find to buy for conversion would be newly mined coins, and miners would have no reason to sell them to you. They can just convert themselves (which is what they would do).

The arbitrage you is exactly what would happen, but it would quickly convert all the BTC until there were none left, then the main chain would simply die (other than for mining purposes).

That is a bold assumption, pun intended.  If I had a satoshi for every time someone said the price of bitcoin could go to 0, then I would be rich... as I said before, if the technology of SCbtc is that great, then it deserves to win.

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:48:24 AM

Say a microtransactions sidechain is developed with a fixed supply of one-billion Micros, and an exchange rate of 1 BTC = 1 million Micros. That means that 1000BTC *total* will ever be able to move to the sidechain. Say the sidechain is very successful; ie, Micros work really well and start to gain a lot of real-world economic traction and value. So the 1000BTC gets transferred over.

Now say that Micros continue to see more use. Their purchasing power goes up, but this has no effect whatsoever on the purchasing power of bitcoin because the max has already moved in. Now all we have is another alt that *used to* have an easy decentralized way of buying it with bitcoin.

Arbitrage.  For example:  All 1000 bitcoin are transferred and micros increase in value to the point that:

1 million micros = $800
1 bitcoin = $400

Anyone wanting to arb this spread can sell 1 million micros for $800, buy 1 bitcoin for $400, pocket $400, convert that 1 bitcoin to 1 million micros, rinse and repeat.  Most likely, one billion micros will never be in circulation at any point in time because of arbitrage.

What if the exchange function specified that after time/block N, the exchange rate is 1 BTC = 0 Micros ? No more arb.

Not to be pedantic, but the point is that the exchange rate can be defined by "any deterministic function". Seems to me that there are probably many classes of deterministic functions which could prevent value from moving back to bitcoin.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:58:44 AM

Sidechains seem to have no downsides for Bitcoin that I can see, and solve a bunch of really thorny problems.  As long as they are defensible it should have huge value for a greatly expanded Bitcoin userbase.  Probably for us BTC hodlers as well in monetary terms as well as for more philosophical aspects.  Some sidechains could be totally 'licensed' to the government's satisfaction so all of the big names could jump on board.

My guess is that there will be some who try desperately to yank out Satoshi's 1MB cap ASAP before it's to late.  As long as the cap is in place the system will be much more difficult to subvert or monopolize and that has been driving some clued in people crazy for as long as I've been watching things.

tvbcof, can you take the tinfoil hat off now?

Sidechains may work brilliantly, and deliver lots of 2.0 applications, but this tech will not appear overnight. What is the point of star-ship Enterprise quality sidechains working off the MySpace of cryptocurrency?

Not raising blocksize, *at least* roughly allowing for Moore's Law, seems insane, and would just drive some alt to gain significant marketshare.

Absolutely.

No matter how good SC are, they are not a substitute for allowing the existing system to scale at the rate of the slowest improving computing technology: bandwidth.

HeliKopterBen

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:04:19 AM

1 million micros = $800
1 bitcoin = $400

What if the exchange function specified that after time/block N, the exchange rate is 1 BTC = 0 Micros ? No more arb.

Not to be pedantic, but the point is that the exchange rate can be defined by "any deterministic function". Seems to me that there are probably many classes of deterministic functions which could prevent value from moving back to bitcoin.

Then I suppose bitcoin would be lost, only affecting users of the side chain.  Arb could still be done with micros that hadn't matured.  As long as the exchange rate is deterministic and not stochastic.

Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:08:54 AM

Then I suppose bitcoin would be lost, only affecting users of the side chain.  Arb could still be done with micros that hadn't matured.  As long as the exchange rate is deterministic and not stochastic.

Not sure I follow. If there's no way to move bitcoin to the sidechain, the arb channel is closed, and bitcoin cannot benefit from increased purchasing power of the sidecoin. This is only relevant after all the sidecoins have been created/unlocked/whatever. Is that what you mean by "matured"?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
HeliKopterBen

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:18:53 AM

Not sure I follow. If there's no way to move bitcoin to the sidechain, the arb channel is closed, and bitcoin cannot benefit from increased purchasing power of the sidecoin. This is only relevant after all the sidecoins have been created/unlocked/whatever. Is that what you mean by "matured"?

Maybe I should have said expire.  So you are saying the exchange rate can cease to exist after a certain time/block N for the entire side chain?  Or, once you convert a coin, that coin cannot be exchanged back after a certain time/block N?

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:28:10 AM

Not raising blocksize, *at least* roughly allowing for Moore's Law, seems insane, and would just drive some alt to gain significant marketshare.

Absolutely.

No matter how good SC are, they are not a substitute for allowing the existing system to scale at the rate of the slowest improving computing technology: bandwidth.

Bandwidth may or may not be the slowest improving computing technology, but it's certainly the weak link in any networked system.

It's hard enough to understand how people could fantasize about Bitcoin becoming the new gold and vanquishing the USD and all that crap.  It's much much much more difficult to understand how one could envision this with everything going on in today's hunky-dory fasion with 'Moores law' yielding joy and solutions to all the unwashed masses problems.

So-called 'bandwidth'* will never be brought to zero, but it could quite trivially be brought to a very low value under the right set of circumstances.  And there are a number of sets which would qualify.  I don't (currently) fear that my BTC would vanish in such instances, but they could become vastly less useful and convenient for a fair bit of time.  As long as Bitcoin does not actually need protective hardening against robust attacks (as is the case today) then it is mostly a toy (as is the case today.)

(*) latency is at least as big of a potential threat.
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

—Tanenbaum, Andrew S. (1989). Computer Networks. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall. p. 57. ISBN 0-13-166836-6.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:33:36 AM

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

—Tanenbaum, Andrew S. (1989). Computer Networks. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall. p. 57. ISBN 0-13-166836-6.

Love that quote. That textbook was required reading in college.

Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:36:02 AM

Maybe I should have said expire.  So you are saying the exchange rate can cease to exist after a certain time/block N for the entire side chain?  Or, once you convert a coin, that coin cannot be exchanged back after a certain time/block N?

The former: After time N for the whole chain, global exchange rate goes to 1 BTC = 0 Sidecoin. I see nothing preventing the exchange rate function from being able to be specified this way.

HeliKopterBen

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 04:52:27 AM

The former: After time N for the whole chain, global exchange rate goes to 1 BTC = 0 Sidecoin. I see nothing preventing the exchange rate function from being able to be specified this way.

Then the sidechain would effectively become a separate chain... an altcoin.  I guess this is a question for the devs.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2014, 05:30:33 AM

I'm in justusranvier's camp on this one. Not raising blocksize, *at least* roughly allowing for Moore's Law, seems insane, and would just drive some alt to gain significant marketshare.

Bandwidth doesn't increase according to Moore's.
At best, Neilson's
http://www.nngroup.com/articles/law-of-bandwidth/

This would be in time of peace, in rich nations, with good infrastructure, and other assumptions.

There is some discussion of methods to achieve this in a way that is flexible to accommodate changing conditions.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=815712.0

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:32:02 AM

Then the sidechain would effectively become a separate chain... an altcoin.  I guess this is a question for the devs.
Of course not. They can force a two-way peg through regulation. /s

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
zeetubes

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:37:33 AM

Love that quote. That textbook was required reading in college.

Ethernet just celebrated its 40th birthday and its history is arguably a better analog for bitcoin and the alts than say myspace versus facebook. It was up against Big Blue's token ring and IBM was the Fed of the computer industry at the time. IBM even commissioned professors to write papers suggesting that ethernet wasn't feasible for commercial use, but happily ethernet eventually won over and it marked the first major kick in the nuts for IBM's influence and hegemony (Microsoft and Compaq later took out further chunks). Ethernet was also a decentralized architecture and beyond interacting with the layers below and above it, it didn't care much about anything. It just provided a solid and pervasive framework. Open source didn't really exist back then and ethernet was licensed but it was much cheaper than token ring. The major reason ethernet prevailed was because it was up against only IBM and there wasn't much else in the way of noise. In a way, I think Bitcoin could have benefitted from a more restrictive licensing agreement, whilst still remaining open source. Sidechain developments may indeed be complementary but the alts are mostly an expensive and divisive distraction imo, even though there are some very promising ideas.  
Pages: « 1 ... 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 [720] 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: