Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:37:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 [517] 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312365 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
owm123

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 02:22:38 AM

Also, once the GUI is done I plan on converting a small portion of my salary every check (1% to 5%) and spending it on Monero related goods and services around the Internet to encourage economic velocity.  Even if it sounds impossible initially, lots of artists, programmers, and other creatives don't mind getting paid in a new currency.  Back during the Dogedays I successfully spent hundreds of dollars paying people in Dogecoin to help me create things. 

How did you find people to accept DOGE (assuming they did not already accept DOGE before you contacted them). Why cant you start doing that now by recommending they use the webwallet, or unofficial GUI if they don't like the command line?

If everyone reading this could find just one person to accept Monero (for something as small as a haircut, karate or tennis lesson) it would be a good start.

You can buy nice paints with 10% discount if you pay using xmr:
https://en.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3pntqw/lukes_painting/

You can get phisical coins with xmr:
https://www.cryptonic.net/

You can donait xmr to many comunity members doing something pro- monero, for examples,
http://moneroblocks.eu/
https://moneroexamples.github.io/python-json-rpc/

and hopefully soon to tutanota:
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/9968298-accept-monero-xmr-for-donations

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
boolberry

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 02:32:27 AM

Also, once the GUI is done I plan on converting a small portion of my salary every check (1% to 5%) and spending it on Monero related goods and services around the Internet to encourage economic velocity.  Even if it sounds impossible initially, lots of artists, programmers, and other creatives don't mind getting paid in a new currency.  Back during the Dogedays I successfully spent hundreds of dollars paying people in Dogecoin to help me create things. 

How did you find people to accept DOGE (assuming they did not already accept DOGE before you contacted them). Why cant you start doing that now by recommending they use the webwallet, or unofficial GUI if they don't like the command line?

If everyone reading this could find just one person to accept Monero (for something as small as a haircut, karate or tennis lesson) it would be a good start.

You can buy nice paints with 10% discount if you pay using xmr:
https://en.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3pntqw/lukes_painting/

You can get phisical coins with xmr:
https://www.cryptonic.net/

You can donait xmr to many comunity members doing something pro- monero, for examples,
http://moneroblocks.eu/
https://moneroexamples.github.io/python-json-rpc/

and hopefully soon to tutanota:
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/forums/237921-general/suggestions/9968298-accept-monero-xmr-for-donations

Those are all great ways to spend Monero. I was was more curious about HOW he found new merchants.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4891

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 02:34:14 AM

$400k XMR. Wow...what a bewildering thought. I would invest in Regenerative Medicine, Deep Learning and Nanosystems.

I would get two chicks at the same time

All that costs is a 6 pack. Wink

You guys are goobers.  First of all, you don't need a $400,000 Monero to do that. ...

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 03:37:03 AM

In 60 more years, hopefully I will be dead. Whether or not this BTC/XMR thing goes up is just a game.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

I love cryptocurrency, guys, but I'm laying my treasure elsewhere.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 03:41:49 AM
Last edit: October 26, 2015, 03:55:18 AM by newb4now

In 60 more years, hopefully I will be dead. Whether or not this BTC/XMR thing goes up is just a game.

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

Come on man you can live more than 60 more years even if you are 100 already. Eat right and exercise. I plan to live at least 200 years myself. With your Monero you can buy top notch doctors, and personal trainers.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 03:48:41 AM

Come on man you can live more than 60 more years even if you are 100 already. Eat right and exercise. I plan to live at least 200 years myself. My your Monero you can buy top notch doctors, and personal trainers.

I would be impressed if you made it to 130 years old.

Good luck.

I plan to  live until I'm 100. That's a long time.

One thing I do not plan on being is alive and miserable.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 03:53:04 AM

I would be impressed if you made it to 130 years old.

Good luck.

I plan to  live until I'm 100. That's a long time.

One thing I do not plan on being is alive and miserable.

Hence my "hopefully I will be dead." I can't see myself being anywhere near 200 years old and happy. If you guys want to be 200 years old, good luck and have fun.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 05:10:21 AM

Hence my "hopefully I will be dead." I can't see myself being anywhere near 200 years old and happy. If you guys want to be 200 years old, good luck and have fun.

Are you imagining that you will live to see 200 years old if they don't cure aging?  Do you think you would be some wrinkly old man?  

If you could stop aging at 25 years old and live as long as you wanted, would you?  If you aren't having a good time at around 90 years old, you're welcome to off yourself - your body will still be in its prime indefinitely, but it's your right not to exist if you get tired of it.  If you want to live a 'normal' amount of time, just live for 90 years until you would have been an old man, and then go to a hospital and ask to be put to sleep (I'm sure we'll have perfected the art by then).  It's still better than a 'normal' life; instead of slowly decaying for 60 years after turning 25, you'll instead live a century in the best possible shape.  

Of course, maybe you meet someone you fall madly in love with right at 85 years old... or we make a major and exciting breakthrough in technology you want to stick around and see.  Imagine the amount of wisdom you could accumulate in 800 years, and the things you could see and do.    

Either way, aging may eventually be solved.  It may eventually be your choice to let your body biologically rot (because that's what's ultimately happening, your organs slowly run down and your body makes enough cellular copying errors to kill you) or to choose to ascend to an immortal existence.  I know which one I would choose.  

Perhaps you are religious.  If you didn't believe in an afterlife, would that change your decision at all?  What if we found conclusive proof that there was no afterlife (such as advanced aliens, or a miracle-working ultra advanced AI that assures you such a thing is not possible)

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
newb4now

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 05:57:01 AM

Perhaps you are religious.  If you didn't believe in an afterlife, would that change your decision at all?  What if we found conclusive proof that there was no afterlife (such as advanced aliens, or a miracle-working ultra advanced AI that assures you such a thing is not possible)

If too off topic then go ahead and delete, but what percentage of crypto users do you think are atheist? My guess is that the # is definitely higher than the general population.  

The Monero people I have seen on here seem more interested in math and science than the average crypto user so my guess is that there are more monero atheists for example than dash atheists who are known to easily follow cult leaders and their "instamine is a feature" preaching.
ExtremeFacials.com

Activity: 190
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 06:07:33 AM

looks like the monero boys are smokin' good herb this week .... nice!

I'm calling 0.001333 as the bottom for this cycle
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2015, 06:34:44 AM

Sorry to have ruffled your feathers Monero fan boys.

It's one thing to come into a thread about Monero and advertise, using facts and logic, for another coin with similar features.

That's fine.  No ruffled feathers so far.

It's also fine to come into this thread and be wrong about something.

The problem is what you did, which was come into a Monero thread and advertise using incorrect facts and faulty logic.

That's why you got flamed, and deservedly so.

I guess it's time to head over to the [whatever your silly coin was called] thread and advertise Monero, using your embarrassing exchange with smooth as evidence that my coin is superior.   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2015, 07:31:23 AM

I actually like a modified form of Risto's plan, where every time the price goes up 10x you sell/trade 10% to increase the available supply and upgrade the quality of your life a little bit.  

As always, connecting our species, seeking out talented humans born in suboptimal conditions, building AI, space travel, SETI, NASA, etc all become priorities.

Heh, so many space-heads here.  When there are crypto-billionaries (besides Satoshi) the space gun/space ladder/asteroid mining/lunar colony/deep space observatory array stuff is going to get crazier than NASA on bath salts.

Speaking of mining in space...just wait until you can buy a space drone that uses solar power to mine Monero and Bitcoin!

Closer to the sun = more power but more attenuated bandwidth, so be sure to optimize share difficulty accordingly.   Cool

Szab0tron1, the ETH hypercomputer complex, will be on the dark side of Mercury, with power beamed in from multiple stations tethered to the Sun, using 100,000 mile long charged filaments that act as electrodes and essentially turn the star into a giant battery.

The revolution in (meta)material science required for the necessary high-temp superconductors, diamond nano-silk, etc. will be powered by the evolution of distributed computing, thanks to the ability of ecash to allow easy commodification of every Thing on the Internet.

Anyone have the link to where Risto showed us the work behind his optimum plan?  IIRC, a key selling point was convenience.

But why not sell 2% every 2x price gain, permanently divesting half the gains and putting the other 1% back into bids?

On an utterly unrelated note, where do I get a nice conservative trading bot for Polo?  It's...umm...for a friend.   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 07:40:42 AM

But why not sell 2% every 2x price gain, permanently divesting half the gains and putting the other 1% back into bids?

Wow.  This is actually a really good idea with built in bubble protection.  I might want to adjust the numbers a little but I really like the idea of selling some at various price levels and shoring up the bids with half of it.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2015, 08:09:19 AM

Wow.  This is actually a really good idea with built in bubble protection.  I might want to adjust the numbers a little but I really like the idea of selling some at various price levels and shoring up the bids with half of it.

But why half?  Because markets are random walks along Markoff Chains, and every price movement is a coin flip (up, down, or side)?

I'm sure there are many books on the subject, none of which I can be bothered to read, because thinking about why e = 2.71828 (and what that implies about economics) makes my head hurt.

So I'll use nice easy numbers, and keep the cognitive load low!   Smiley

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 08:11:33 AM

What is needed at this moment in human development is targetted charity.  This is where I came up with my idea of a gifted and talented orphanage.  Being an orphan that grew up in one of the worst educational systems and worst poverty America has to offer, I understand all too well the frustration behind being a sharp and curious mind stuck in an unfortunate situation.  

I want to globally seek out children who display exceptional intelligence and abilities and give them chance to move to a first world country and be schooled in one of the finest educational systems possible.

First world education system sucks beyond repair Sad

Very few whom I know who really desire and can change the world have graduated from famous universities.

Nevertheless, me and Wife had an orphan child in India whom we fully supported from 2004 to almost present. She is a general practitioner candidate now, I think.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2015, 09:15:09 AM

What is needed at this moment in human development is targetted charity.  This is where I came up with my idea of a gifted and talented orphanage.  Being an orphan that grew up in one of the worst educational systems and worst poverty America has to offer, I understand all too well the frustration behind being a sharp and curious mind stuck in an unfortunate situation.  

I want to globally seek out children who display exceptional intelligence and abilities and give them chance to move to a first world country and be schooled in one of the finest educational systems possible.

First world education system sucks beyond repair Sad

Very few whom I know who really desire and can change the world have graduated from famous universities.

Nevertheless, me and Wife had an orphan child in India whom we fully supported from 2004 to almost present. She is a general practitioner candidate now, I think.

Oh wow, you sponsored an entire orphan?  That $60/month must have set you back at least 1% of your combined incomes (India is getting really expensive).

/charity shaming  Wink

Try telling some 2nd/3rd world kid (whether an orphan or just Not Rich) that he should avoid a first world education even if offered one, because it "sucks."

Many of the known principals behind Bitcoin, and the giants on whose shoulders they stand, "graduated from famous universities" (typically several times over).  And most of the pure research behind Bitcoin, and everything that led up to it, was done at "famous universities."

If you could stop biting the hand that feeds you (just because it's far from perfect), that would be great.

I wouldn't care otherwise, but it makes Monero look bad when you come across as an unglued hater, ranting 'zomgawd burn down the universities, what have they ever done for us!!1!' and 'Revelation 18:10! Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come" type stuff.

There are many good schools in the first world.  Yes, many of them suck, but they can be easily repaired given proper incentive structures, or even by removing the present mal-incentives, because demand for education is very inelastic.  People will pay as much as they can afford, often more, to get their kids schooled.  That demand will create its own supply, if we relent from the Deeply Captured prison-industrial complex model of public schools.

I'd bet a Bitcoin that Satoshi(s) graduated (or dropped out of) an excellent first world educational institution or two.  Or three.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 10:27:59 AM

Try telling some 2nd/3rd world kid (whether an orphan or just Not Rich) that he should avoid a first world education even if offered one, because it "sucks."

They have been instrumental of giving me this knowledge. Otherwise I would be blind just as you. Ever visited India and made friends with the people there? Or any other country in another continent?

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 12:02:29 PM

Damn my lowest bid is 132

Ok back on topic,

Live forever?  Remember the only reason "you" are here is because people, actually all life, dies.  It seems even the universe will as well.  Bonus question, why is you in quotes.

Rich?  I have never missed a meal in my life except by choice.  I have spent 61 days, 16 hours and 38 minutes logged into BCT.  I have a cat on my lap as I write this and I am at work.

I have not been able to smoke good herb for 13 years.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2015, 12:08:23 PM

Damn my lowest bid is 132

Ok back on topic,

Live forever?  Remember the only reason "you" are here is because people, actually all life, dies.  It seems even the universe will as well.  Bonus question, why is you in quotes.

Rich?  I have never missed a meal in my life except by choice.  I have spent 61 days, 16 hours and 38 minutes logged into BCT.  I have a cat on my lap as I write this and I am at work.

I have not been able to smoke good herb for 13 years.

I would say you is in "quotation marks" because your identity is a construct of whatever your brain's configuration is at any moment in time--do I get a prize if my answer is correct?

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 01:07:52 PM

I would say you is in "quotation marks" because your identity is a construct of whatever your brain's configuration is at any moment in time--do I get a prize if my answer is correct?

I suppose that is a piece of the puzzle.

Thank you smooth for you indulgence.  I believe icebreaker started an off topic thread a while ago that either went nowhere or was deleted by the powers.

Just missed one of my bids that is above 132.  This feels like the bottom although as I've said before I am clueless.  These bids are for the furnishings of my Monero house and could be used for a prize although the best prizes are knowledge and understanding.

Time to do a bit of work while I wait for my bids to be filled.  Thank you all for being here.
Pages: « 1 ... 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 [517] 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: