Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:05:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 [519] 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312364 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 12:32:01 AM
Last edit: October 27, 2015, 02:22:28 AM by smooth

This is what I imagine when thinking of issues of cryptocurrencies today; the extremely long wait times for transactions to be confirmed... I'm just afraid/excited that there might be a crypto that's about to come out that would essentially revolutionize the transaction speeds and make bitcoin and cryptonote coins both obsolete.

We know how to instant microtransactions well in Bitcoin, without half assed insecure gimmicks. It's called payment channels and is already implemented in the streamium. It is also being generalized into the Lightning network, where people can route instant payments to one another without having a point-to-point channel between them set up first.

The same techniques can be used in any coin that is UXTO based. In due time something like that will come to Monero too.

"Instant payments" are just the latest of the many altcoin fads that have come (and gone) through the scene. Take note of it but don't overreact.

Please forgive the newbness... but what is an UXTO based coin? Also, from what I've read so far in terms of high transaction speeds, there seems to be some hesitance toward it because of the fear of some "orphan blocks" or lost transactions.  As far as I understand it, it's hard for developers of bitcoin to agree on "simple" things like block sizes, so I can't really see them jumping on board with instant payments, but I can see with the work you are doing at AEON and teaming up with XMR, you might implement some of these protocols into both.  Would AEON be a testbed for this type of thing soon, or are you already working on that sort of thing? 

1. UTXO means unspent transaction output. When you receive "coins" on Bitcoin you don't actually received coins, you receive one or more "outputs" each of which has a coin value.

2. With payment channel based methods each individual micropayment does not go on the blockchain. You might get one payment on the blockchain at the end of the month for the net of your payments in and out during the month. But the cryptography and smart contracts being used makes that secure during the time period when it isn't on the blockchain yet.

3. AEON is largely off topic here but yes on the AEON roadmap there is an item to experiment with payment channels.

EDIT: UXTO -> UTXO, thanks binaryFate for pointing out the typo.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 12:49:38 AM

One post deleted which contained no on-topic content. Here is the entirety of the post for disclosure.

I speculate a lot of desperation and sadness is going on here. Especially you smooth. You're one of the worst liars I've ever seen.

Edit: "Liar" is too nice a word. Its more like "Charlatan," "Thief" or "Sociopath."
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 01:02:19 AM

[...]
1. UXTO means unspent transaction output. When you receive "coins" on Bitcoin you don't actually received coins, you receive one or more "outputs" each of which has a coin value.
[...]
To complete the explanation: this is actually written "UTXO" https://bitcoin.org/en/glossary/unspent-transaction-output
This tiny mistake comes so often and naturaly (me included) that we should all agree to switch to "UXTO" Smiley

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 01:29:06 AM

Regarding the implementation and timeline of Monero Confidential Transactions (CT), I spotted the following Q&A on r/monero:

Quote from: Q
this will cause a moonshot eventually. I hope it does not take years to implement
&
Quote from: A(Shen)
I don't think it will be that long -I have like one bit of unrelated research I need to finish, which hopefully is almost done, and then I should have a couple of free days to spend on it.

It is nice to see Shen putting so much time into CT and his whitepaper and test implementations in mininero.

Definitely will be worth adding once it is fully tested by many on testnet or whatever.

I had no idea this could be done so quickly. Pleasant surprise!
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 02:21:23 AM

Further off topic drivel from nutadah deleted
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 04:00:28 AM

Regarding the implementation and timeline of Monero Confidential Transactions (CT), I spotted the following Q&A on r/monero:

this will cause a moonshot eventually. I hope it does not take years to implement
&
I don't think it will be that long -I have like one bit of unrelated research I need to finish, which hopefully is almost done, and then I should have a couple of free days to spend on it.

It is nice to see Shen putting so much time into CT and his whitepaper and test implementations in mininero.

Definitely will be worth adding once it is fully tested by many on testnet or whatever.

Set your expectations further out in time as I personally think it may take some time for CT to be tested and incorporated via hard fork into monero.

My guess is 1 year from now at least.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 05:35:07 AM

Shen is a student if I read Monero's FAQ correctly. So I think that he can spend more time to implement RingCT faster. I hope that we can fund his development when he is ready. I expect that it would be 4-6 months timeframe
smooth (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 05:37:18 AM

Shen is a student if I read Monero's FAQ correctly. So I think that he can spend more time to implement RingCT faster. I hope that we can fund his development when he is ready.

There is implementation and there is deployment, which are two different things. I could see it getting deployed to testnet much faster than the main network though.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2015, 05:53:58 AM

&

Set your expectations further out in time as I personally think it may take some time for CT to be tested and incorporated via hard fork into monero.

My guess is 1 year from now at least.

Yes, the practical constraint for Monero isn't how fast Shen can push the CT envelope, but rather how fast the world's less spry cryptographers can effectively peer review his innovations.

After the ScalingBitcoin stuff is over, it's time for #BTCprivacy workshops.

Can't wait to see Adam, SN, mixles, and Gmax on the same discussion panel.  My brain is not ready!   Embarrassed

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 07:14:39 AM
Last edit: October 27, 2015, 08:28:41 AM by americanpegasus

Unrelated rant!  Every once in a while you have a moment with a bank that causes you to realize why this stuff matters at all!   Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry  

I'm having some credit card disputes with my bank, and as a result they put a daily purchase limit on my account, and they refuse to make any changes to my account (or remove the purchase limit) until I settle up with their credit card department.  The hell!?  This means my recent bitcoin buy is going to be turned down, and it's all going to culminate in a big PITA for me.... to spend my money from my paycheck due to a dispute with an entirely different department.   Angry  

But guess what - in today's world if you want to use digital money, this is your only option.  You have to deal with a bank, and once that check goes into their coffers, it's not your money anymore.  

It's theirs, and they're just being kind enough to let you still use it.  

Fuck these guys; I can't wait for a world where at least I have a choice.  If I don't want to deal with bank policies and optional reversibility/insurance (which will assuredly be more customer advantageous once we have a real choice) then I will be able to actually spend hard digital money without them.  

Pay me my paycheck in Monero already, damnit.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
americanpegasus

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 07:29:39 AM

As I have said, http://www.reddit.com/r/dogemarket was a massive success and instrumental in getting a functioning economy for Doge off the ground back in early 2014.  At it's peak there were tens of thousands of subscribers and thousands of dollars whipped back and forth across that subreddit per day.  

I think that once the main upgrades are done to core Monero, and the GUI is released (so it becomes user friendly), we will be ready for promotion and the first tenuous steps to establish an online economy.  

Keeping this in mind, I've gone ahead and reserved http://www.reddit.com/r/moneromarket (not to be confused with the financial analysis version with an 's' on the end).  My goal would not be to moderate it myself, but rather to find the right individual(s) when the time is right (ideally we could lure over some of the guys from the Doge Market subreddit with a bounty or two; they did amazing, and their CSS has been finely tuned over the past couple of years).  

If there comes a time when I feel there is appropriate leadership there, I'll relinquish final control of the subreddit to someone else to avoid conflicts of interest with my main mod job over at /r/monero.

SmoothCurves

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 07:43:14 AM

Unrelated rant!  Every once in a while you have a moment with a bank that causes you to realize why this stuff matters at all!   Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry  

I'm having some credit card disputes with my bank, and as a result they put a daily purchase limit on my account, and they refuse to make any changes to my account (or remove the purchase limit) until I settle up with their credit card department.  The hell!?  This means my recent bitcoin buy is going to be turned down, and it's all going to culminate in a bit PITA for me.... to spend my money from my paycheck due to a dispute with an entirely different department.   Angry  

But guess what - in today's world if you want to use digital money, this is your only option.  You have to deal with a bank, and once that check goes into their coffers, it's not your money anymore.  

It's theirs, and they're just being kind enough to let you still use it.  

Fuck these guys; I can't wait for a world where at least I have a choice.  If I don't want to deal with bank policies and optional reversibility/insurance (which will assuredly be more customer advantageous once we have a real choice) then I will be able to actually spend hard digital money without them.  

Pay me my paycheck in Monero already, damnit.

Why do you use a credit card to purchase bitcoin?
adhitthana
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 07:52:52 AM

So since this is a speculation thread ...I'm guessing all technical levels have been taken out except a double bottom. Fib retracements must be long gone
americanpegasus

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 08:23:11 AM

Why do you use a credit card to purchase bitcoin?

This is how I get money from my bank account into Monero savings (bank - Coinbase - Polo - cold storage).  If this keeps up, or if I have many more problems I may attempt to purchase some directly from casual sellers via PayPal, like I used to do in the Dogecoin days.

XMRpromotions

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 08:28:25 AM

Shen is a student if I read Monero's FAQ correctly. So I think that he can spend more time to implement RingCT faster. I hope that we can fund his development when he is ready.

There is implementation and there is deployment, which are two different things. I could see it getting deployed to testnet much faster than the main network though.

I think most of us will be happy to see it in testnet. Once it gets there we know that it is likely to make it to the main network once all the potential bugs are eliminated.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
koryu

Activity: 681
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 09:07:22 AM

my bids got filled, I think now is the time to accumulate xmr. Are you waiting for sub 0.001?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 09:28:17 AM

So since this is a speculation thread ...I'm guessing all technical levels have been taken out except a double bottom. Fib retracements must be long gone

We got that trend line as well, see my post from a few days ago:

It would be nice if we could bottom ~0.0013, that's exactly on the following support line. In addition, we also have some support at 0.00131.

The line is still valid currently.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
koryu

Activity: 681
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 10:17:11 AM

yes I am also watching this line and put my bids a little bit higher.

it's interesting that the volume on last bottom was kinda low, it increased after the bottom. Btc usually has high volume on bottom with a huge dump.
obit33

Activity: 514
Merit: 258

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 10:39:09 AM

yes I am also watching this line and put my bids a little bit higher.

it's interesting that the volume on last bottom was kinda low, it increased after the bottom. Btc usually has high volume on bottom with a huge dump.

same here, would be very nice if we could jump out of the bullish falling wedge and bounce of the long term trendline at the same time:

best regards
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 12:50:44 PM

In either case, when timing models indicate a BTC bottom is in, I will then rotate the position (a small trading fraction of my overall holding position) from BTC into XMR.

I don't understand. You sell BTC to buy XMR when BTC is topping, and sell BTC to buy XMR when BTC is bottoming, what's the logic behind that?

Typing inversion error in the second case. That is why I check trades three ways before I commit.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Pages: « 1 ... 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 [519] 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: