Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:04:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 89 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DiabloMiner GPU Miner  (Read 866185 times)
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2010, 04:01:31 AM

Do you know of open source drivers that I can use instead?

Open source drivers won't get you an open source OpenCL compiler and implementation, unfortunately.

The open source driver bits are mostly there.  The driver folks know how OpenCL will work, what ioctl(s) it will use....  once an open source OpenCL exists.

DAMNIT!!!  I was fooled again by the marketing term "Open".  Turns out that according to http://www.khronos.org/opencl, the Open just means "OpenCL™ is the first open, royalty-free standard for cross-platform"...nothing to do with implementation.  Oh well...  I have this nice Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2...not doing anything...could be generating bitcoin Sad

Do you have a link to the older binaries?

Actually, Mesa has a very early non-functional prototype that uses Gallium. I suspect in the nest 2-3 years you can run my miner on Radeon 5xxx hardware with a fully open source stack.

However, as long as Nvidia continues to unofficially threaten to sue projects like Nouveau for trying to support Nvidia on the new Gallium stack, Nvidia is probably going to go bankrupt before they turn around and quit pissing off customers.

DAMNIT!!!  I swear!  I will never again work at a pro-IP tech corporation in any manner!

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2010, 04:06:30 AM

DAMNIT!!!  I was fooled again by the marketing term "Open".  Turns out that according to http://www.khronos.org/opencl, the Open just means "OpenCL™ is the first open, royalty-free standard for cross-platform"...nothing to do with implementation.  Oh well...  I have this nice Nvidia GeForce 9800 GX2...not doing anything...could be generating bitcoin Sad

Actually, Mesa has a very early non-functional prototype that uses Gallium. I suspect in the nest 2-3 years you can run my miner on Radeon 5xxx hardware with a fully open source stack.

However, as long as Nvidia continues to unofficially threaten to sue projects like Nouveau for trying to support Nvidia on the new Gallium stack, Nvidia is probably going to go bankrupt before they turn around and quit pissing off customers.

DAMNIT!!!  I swear!  I will never again work at a pro-IP tech corporation in any manner!

Hey man, an open cross platform royalty free API is very important. Imagine gaming if all we had was D3D.... PC gaming would be dead. OpenGL is the only thing keeping it alive IMO.

As for owner binaries, I don't keep those around; you can use git to pull older revisions in, but I don't recommend it because they may end up being subtly broken because I've fixed bugs since then.

Until I fix Nvidia (if there is any fix at all), just buy a new video card. Geforces mine very slowly, about 3x slower per watt, and maybe 4x slower per dollar depending on the card. Go buy a Radeon 5xxx, you'll be happier.

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2010, 04:16:32 AM

Hey man, an open cross platform royalty free API is very important. Imagine gaming if all we had was D3D.... PC gaming would be dead. OpenGL is the only thing keeping it alive IMO.

Agreed.  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was against industry members getting together to produce and promote open, cross-platform, royality-free APIs.  That is very important, and is indeed something that I encourage.  I was simply remarking that I was fooled into thinking that it included an open-source implementation...since "Open" has been thrown around as a Orwellian marketing term by some organizations, even though it isn't really open.

As for owner binaries, I don't keep those around; you can use git to pull older revisions in, but I don't recommend it because they may end up being subtly broken because I've fixed bugs since then.

OK.  I'll try that.

Until I fix Nvidia (if there is any fix at all), just buy a new video card. Geforces mine very slowly, about 3x slower per watt, and maybe 4x slower per dollar depending on the card. Go buy a Radeon 5xxx, you'll be happier.

Nvidia actually gave me this GeForce 9800 Gx2 as a consolation prize for a GPGPU research proposal I submitted to Nvidia, but was rejected.  So I have this big fancy GPGPU which I haven't really been using.  Oh well.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2010, 04:25:04 AM

Agreed.  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was against industry members getting together to produce and promote open, cross-platform, royality-free APIs.  That is very important, and is indeed something that I encourage.  I was simply remarking that I was fooled into thinking that it included an open-source implementation...since "Open" has been thrown around as a Orwellian marketing term by some organizations, even though it isn't really open.

OK.  I'll try that.

Nvidia actually gave me this GeForce 9800 Gx2 as a consolation prize for a GPGPU research proposal I submitted to Nvidia, but was rejected.  So I have this big fancy GPGPU which I haven't really been using.  Oh well.

The Open in OpenGL doesn't imply any sort of implementation of all. There already has been an open OpenGL impl for years, its called Mesa. Khronos (formerly known as the OpenGL Steering Committee) doesn't maintain an implementation of anything.

As for Nvidia giving you that card.... they lied again. No Nvidia card is good at GPGPU for any task outside of heavily float-oriented tasks similar to the graphics rendering the card normally would be doing.

Trust me, its really worth shelling out the cash for a Radeon 5xxx.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 05:47:00 AM

The open source driver bits are mostly there.  The driver folks know how OpenCL will work, what ioctl(s) it will use....  once an open source OpenCL exists.

Actually, Mesa has a very early non-functional prototype that uses Gallium

URL to non-functional OpenCL prototype?

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2010, 06:48:43 AM

Actually, Mesa has a very early non-functional prototype that uses Gallium

URL to non-functional OpenCL prototype?

Hrm, good question. I saw it mentioned in one of my news feeds, but I can't find it now.

hogofwar

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2010, 10:08:24 AM

I get this error running the latest compiled version with the supplied windows execution parameters:

http://j.mp/g8jEjO

As per the post immediately before yours, update to the normal 0.3.17 binary, not a m0 patched one

I am not using the patched m0's client.

Anyway, never mind is there a way i can change the port used?
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2010, 11:08:36 AM

I tried newest binary on Win7 and ATI right now and it is also not working Sad

ERROR: Failed to queue kernel, error -52

I was so happy there is no need to getwork patch, but I had to revert everything back to old version, because current version is not working on any of my cards Sad.

DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2010, 04:07:13 PM

Update: The -52 errors only happens on SDK 2.2, and now the miner ignores them since they only happen periodically. It does not happen with 2.1 and has no effect on the mining process, and I suggest you use 2.1 anyhow since it runs much faster.

slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2010, 05:49:26 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2010, 06:49:26 PM by slush

Update: The -52 errors only happens on SDK 2.2, and now the miner ignores them since they only happen periodically. It does not happen with 2.1 and has no effect on the mining process, and I suggest you use 2.1 anyhow since it runs much faster.

Tried 2.1 and got very poor performance. Core is working only on ~60%. Core is working on 100% after short time, but performance is still poor. 2.2 working perfectly for me (core on ~94%).   --- Oh, finally found 'bitalign' option.

slush
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2010, 01:20:12 PM

Just installing miner to my friend. We found this error on his MacOS box. Did anybody see this already? Thanks

mac-mini-david:DiabloMiner david$ ./DiabloMiner-OSX.sh -u **** -p ****
Added GeForce 9400 (#1) (2 CU, 1x vector, local work size of
ERROR: [CL_INVALID_BUILD_OPTIONS] : OpenCL Error : clBuildProgram failed: Invalid build options "-D VECTORS=1 -D NS="(u)((nonce * 1) + 0)" -D CHECKOUTPUT="if(H == 0) {output[0] = ns;}" -D WORKGROUPSIZE="""

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Failed to build program on GeForce 9400 (#1)
        at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner$DeviceState.<init>(DiabloMiner.java:371)
        at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.execute(DiabloMiner.java:198)
        at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.main(DiabloMiner.java:90)

DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2010, 07:02:52 PM

Just installing miner to my friend. We found this error on his MacOS box. Did anybody see this already? Thanks

mac-mini-david:DiabloMiner david$ ./DiabloMiner-OSX.sh -u **** -p ****
Added GeForce 9400 (#1) (2 CU, 1x vector, local work size of
ERROR: [CL_INVALID_BUILD_OPTIONS] : OpenCL Error : clBuildProgram failed: Invalid build options "-D VECTORS=1 -D NS="(u)((nonce * 1) + 0)" -D CHECKOUTPUT="if(H == 0) {output[0] = ns;}" -D WORKGROUPSIZE="""

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Failed to build program on GeForce 9400 (#1)
        at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner$DeviceState.<init>(DiabloMiner.java:371)
        at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.execute(DiabloMiner.java:198)

Its the same as the Nvidia bug (and its only by coincidence that your friend has Nvidia hardware; OSX has its own OpenCL impl). Both Nvidia and OSX do not implement that correctly. Its annoying as hell.

turnpike

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2010, 05:13:00 AM

Perhaps I could get some help:
Code:
$ ./DiabloMiner-Linux.sh -u user -p pass
Exception in thread "main" org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not locate OpenCL library.
at org.lwjgl.opencl.CL.create(CL.java:121)
at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.execute(DiabloMiner.java:185)

I have the sinking feeling that my first foray into GPU processing has uncovered that my GPU is unsupported.  It's a Radeon X2100 Mobility.  I haven't seen anything saying that it is supported by OpenCL, but I haven't seen anything saying it isn't either.
lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
December 08, 2010, 07:52:44 AM

I have the sinking feeling that my first foray into GPU processing has uncovered that my GPU is unsupported.  It's a Radeon X2100 Mobility.  I haven't seen anything saying that it is supported by OpenCL, but I haven't seen anything saying it isn't either.

It isn't.
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2010, 08:23:24 AM

It isn't, and you didn't download the Stream SDK, or you're not using it correctly.

Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2010, 01:22:17 AM

I have got access for a limited time to a small cluster running some Geforce cards, and I'm wondering if I can get your miner to work on them at night. Problem is they are debian machines and they are headless. The headless is not so much a problem since I can run Java in headless mode, what is a problem is this:

Code:
./DiabloMiner-Linux.sh -u bitcoin -p xxx
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /bla/DiabloMiner/target/libs/natives/linux/liblwjgl.so: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.20/jre/lib/i386/libjawt.so: symbol awt_FreeDrawingSurface, version SUNWprivate_1.1 not defined in file libmawt.so with link time reference
        at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1803)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1728)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1028)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:73)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:66)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:82)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:99)
        at org.lwjgl.opencl.CL.<clinit>(CL.java:51)
        at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.execute(DiabloMiner.java:185)

Any idea as to why?

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2010, 01:48:11 AM

I have got access for a limited time to a small cluster running some Geforce cards, and I'm wondering if I can get your miner to work on them at night. Problem is they are debian machines and they are headless. The headless is not so much a problem since I can run Java in headless mode, what is a problem is this:

Any idea as to why?

At the moment, my miner doesn't work on Geforce until Nvidia fixes their bugs... however, in your case, its because you're using a headless version of the JDK. Install a non-headless version of the JDK.

If you can figure out a good workaround for the Geforce bug (see above posts for description), feel free to send me a patch.

DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2010, 04:26:32 AM

Update: I've fixed the nasty Nvidia bug. This should now work correctly on Nvidia and OSX. Everyone go try it and report back.

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2010, 06:14:17 AM

Update: I've fixed the nasty Nvidia bug. This should now work correctly on Nvidia and OSX. Everyone go try it and report back.

FAILED again on my machine:

./DiabloMiner-Linux.sh -u XXXX -p XXXX
Added GeForce 9800 GX2 (#1) (16 CU, local work size of

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Failed to build program on GeForce 9800 GX2 (#1)
   at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner$DeviceState.<init>(DiabloMiner.java:319)
   at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.execute(DiabloMiner.java:186)
   at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.main(DiabloMiner.java:89)

DiabloD3 (OP)
Legendary

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2010, 02:07:52 PM

FAILED again on my machine:

./DiabloMiner-Linux.sh -u XXXX -p XXXX
Added GeForce 9800 GX2 (#1) (16 CU, local work size of

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Failed to build program on GeForce 9800 GX2 (#1)
   at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner$DeviceState.<init>(DiabloMiner.java:319)
   at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.execute(DiabloMiner.java:186)
   at com.diablominer.DiabloMiner.DiabloMiner.main(DiabloMiner.java:89)

Well, at least it failed farther into the kernel build process. This is good news.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 89 »
  Print  

Jump to: