Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:06:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 06:26:52 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 06:54:44 PM by novacadian

I made an SMF mod to do just this. Demo can be seen here:

162.243.37.115 (Just a vanilla vps, I wasn't going to grab a domain for a demo)

Where is the dvcticker on the above link? Even after registering it is still not visible to me.

[Edit: Blame it on my ancient eyes. The color made it hard to see. My bad  Grin ]

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:58:05 PM

sidhujag, is the source code from git supposed to be the newest? I pulled and built a devcoind, and all my transaction cannot be confirmed now ...

Edit: ok, seems not the source but the problem of the makefile. after I revert makefile.unix to the old version (the one before commit 36d595726636255a55c62780a671386c0cc7c505), everything back to normal and ok.
How did you build without libcurl? That commit added libcurl and changed boost stuff.. I dont see how it affects transactions? Why do you think they werent confirmed? Did you wait for new block?
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:18:41 PM

hm, I thought I saw a table somewhere here that showed how the devcoin money supply will develop over time, ...
And what percentage change every new year would bring...

can't find it anymore.

Can someone help me?

You can find it here. A better graph of monetary inflation can be found here.

georgem
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 07:19:54 PM

hm, I thought I saw a table somewhere here that showed how the devcoin money supply will develop over time, ...
And what percentage change every new year would bring...

can't find it anymore.

Can someone help me?

You can find it here. A better graph of monetary inflation can be found here.

Thanks alot. I need to bookmark this.  Smiley

emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:52:29 PM

sidhujag, is the source code from git supposed to be the newest? I pulled and built a devcoind, and all my transaction cannot be confirmed now ...

Edit: ok, seems not the source but the problem of the makefile. after I revert makefile.unix to the old version (the one before commit 36d595726636255a55c62780a671386c0cc7c505), everything back to normal and ok.
How did you build without libcurl? That commit added libcurl and changed boost stuff.. I dont see how it affects transactions? Why do you think they werent confirmed? Did you wait for new block?

I just add a single line '-l curl' so that it build dynamic against my system libcurl. 2 days passed and hundreds of blocks generated, so I think they were never confirmed.

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:53:42 PM

Guys, when do you think devcoin could pop, I'm talking $0.10+.

I have been seeing many threads about what coin will pop in 2014 but nobody ever mentions dvc..

That's because DVC is unlike every other crypto-coin, and I think most don't realize how it works, or it's potential yet, just like when bitcoins first started (there are thousand of people who rightfully belong on the bitcoin or devcoin share lists, but they just don't know about it yet). It's doing to open source what mining did to digital currency. The analogy is that of the 200M coins created per round, they're distributed based on the number of people doing work to earn them, instead of machines - with btc everyone competes for the transaction pot with hardware. With dvc, it's essentially the same thing but instead of calculating hashes, people are creating things. As time goes on, the btc hashes get more difficult as the number of miners increase, and similarly dvc payouts become harder to earn because the initial work has already been done, and more difficult work lies in improving it (as well as more people doing work). Collaboration on work is similar to how mining pools operate, and there is an opportunity for people to develop ways to make collaboration between strangers easier.

The only downside is that most of the value from cryptocoins come from speculative demise - that the coins are always going to become rarer, whereas devcoins are created indefinitely (and rightly so, since creative work is not used in the "transaction" system like with bitcoins et al). The upside is that speculation can still exist with dvc, with the added bonus that we get great open source stuff to share and improve. I honestly believe this is stuff that will make headlines once journalists get their heads around its nuances. It probably won't ever be as mainstream as bitcoins, because those are very easy to mine in comparison to this - this requires actual human effort from everyone trying to earn generation shares.

As for the price, for it to hit $0.10 people need a reason to buy them, and there is always going to be selective pressure towards more deflationary currencies over this one, because they are, after all, more deflationary - devcoins take this hit in exchange for allowing the philanthropists/advertisers a way in. Assuming maybe 50-80% of the payout is being cashed out each round, people have to be buying 100M-160M coins from the market with cash or another cryptocurrency every month. This means it needs an in-flow of cash around $10-$20M per month to support everyone selling the coins they earned @ $0.10. That doesn't sound impossible to me, especially if the seriously rich philanthropists who strongly believe in FOSS decide to back it. For it to get there, we need to give people amazing stuff that they just can't get enough of. That means great writing, great media, great software, great websites, etc, and if http://www.devtome.com and it's ilk become as popular as something like wikipedia I don't see why it won't disconnect from the value of other cryptocurrencies and take its own life - the price could very well be $1/coin in 3-10 years time.

Wow, thanks for the awesome answer hunter, I got into these coins because they were cheap and I like what I read on the devcoin site. I however did not know that these coins had no cap. I happen to own about 10 million dvc and I got them from a speculative standpoint. I think the no cap issue may hold these back for a while but I have strong hands, ether I get uber rich or they go to nothing. Either way I'm in!

Smiley
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 08:33:46 PM

Happy New Year everyone! I'm working on the next revision of devcoin.org now - I've compiled all the feedback everyone left and will be making a bunch of updates - I'll provide a list once v2 is ready.

I truly believe Devcoin is going to have a very strong 2014. I've been thinking about ways that we can help take Devcoin to the next level and there are two people I think we should reach out to:

1) Mark Shuttleworth (founder of Canonical, creators of Ubuntu Linux)

2) Richard Branson

They are both space traveling philanthropists who I have no doubt would absolutely love everything that Devcoin stands for.

I'd be more than happy to prepare a Powerpoint deck on Devcoin that we could send off to Mark and Richard. I'd start with the highlights that are currently on the slider on devcoin.org (funding open source projects and artists, allowing anyone with the desire to work to earn devcoins from writing, open source spaceship). Seriously, what's not to love? It's just a matter of getting the material in front of them.

Awesome!  I've been reaching out to some projects on their IRC channels (e.g. #blendercoders) but haven't received much of a response.

Mark, as for http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=cpu_mining, if you could elaborate more on your article and how it could make money that would be great.  How can mining stones and metals and chopping wood translate into real-world gains?

Tell me once you do that, and I'll see if it's bounty worthy! (Don't rush, I believe there are still four 6-share bounties remaining)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 09:00:32 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 09:28:28 PM by markm

Oh I am not in a hurry. I am more trying to wrap my head around the whole "business plan" idea really.

I guess maybe what is needed is a commodities exchange, something I have been working towards for a long time.

The way I was working toward it was initially, years ago, by searching for market software that would let people trade "X amount of Y located at location X" for "A amount of B located at location C" type of trades.

So for example they could go like "I will trade you a WoW magic shield of thus and such a type, located at such and such a place in the WoW universe, for a magic helmet of such and such a type located in such and such a universe".

That search led me to find Bitcoin and Open Transactions (OT has markets, no explicit location sutff yet until they add "deeds" category of assets but still its a start and one could create location-based assets like instead of a grams of gold asset one could create a grams of gold located in a vault in London, grams of gold located in a vault in New York, grams of world of warcraft gold located in the inventory of thus and such a character in World of Warcraft and so on as separate assets).

Where I have been at lately on the road toward commodity exchanges has been to try to first have warehouses or whatever - stockpiles - of various things first, since I figured no one is going to bother to make for example a Deuterium exchange until first there are huge stockpiles of Deuterium secured somewhere to exchange, no one is going to bother to make a MUD pounds of stone exchange until there are many many pounds of stone already mined in a MUD and ready to be exchanged, and so on.

So I guess it also seemed pretty natural to me that once all kinds of stones and metals and woods and foods and so on had been stockpiled large scale trade would be able to commence, thus that people would be able to sell off that kind of stuff for various media of exchange such as devcoins, bitcoins, whatever, because supposedly it is more useful to use a medium of exchange than to directly barter e.g. stone for food or metal for food or metal for wood or wood for stone etc etc etc...

(No one bothers to build exchanges for altcoins that no one has, right? So why would anyone bother to build exchanges/markets/etc for resources no one has yet mined, woodchopped, foraged etc?)

One way I figured media of exchange would enter into it though was to do with scale.

Suppose a player on the individual character level of play wants to build a Freeciv-scale unit of settlers. That is a unit that, upon founding a city, creates a city with a population listed as 10,000 which might mean 10,000 families even though conservatively presumably means at least somewhere in the vicinity of 10,000 people even if that counts minors and babes-in-arms. The objective presumably would be to load that Freeciv-scale unit of settlers onto a Freeciv-scale starship to travel to a world they can colonise.

A Freeciv turn takes a year, so we are now looking at needing like maybe a million doses of lemonade or lime juice or something to keep those settlers from getting scurvy on their journey, and maybe three million meals so they can eat three meals a day per son on the journey, and gosh knows how many spades and pickaxes and skirts and pants and shoes and boots and shirts and so on and so on and so on to equip those people.

All that is huge scale. There is a fmour red balloon paper in which some university explained how, given that you need many things to obtain an objective, you can use a medium of exchange to co-ordinate smaller portions of the goal, so as to motivate people who might not be able personalyl to e.g. make a million dodes of lemonade to nonethess contribute some amount of lemonade toward the higher goal.

So I envisioned that the large scale would in effect be issuing bounties to the smaller scale.

A person wanting to raise and equip a Freeciv scale unit would basically issue a bounty, of so much of something for a million doses of anti-scurvy fruit or juice, so much of something for ten thousand shirts, so much of something for ten thousand jackets and so on. That "something" would presumably in many cases be a so called medium of exchange. For example it could be DeVCoins.

The small scale jobs then would arise from the larger scale... Lots and lots of individual fruit-packer, juice-maker and so on jobs would arise from what on the larger scale seems to be such a simple thing, "this city will build a unit of settlers"...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
tenthirtyone

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:17:39 PM

Is the dvcticker.tar.gz package meant to be Open Source? There is no copyright in the package nor in the getJSONData.php script.

Thanks for any clarification.

- Nova

Yeah I can throw a license on it. I'm not 100% clear on what DVC demands, Creative Commons? I'll PM Smeagol to get his word on it so it's done right
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 09:31:26 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2014, 09:41:29 PM by markm

Hmm I realise in my previous post I neglected to point out that actually the shortest simplest route would be to use the already built into the MUD internal currency to organise all the workers, then once you have all those workers running around all equipped with that local currency, build an exchange where that currency can be exchanged for other currencies such as blockchain based coins, fiat, WoW gold, Lindens, or anything else that an exchange operator might choose to list or that the workers (or the players who operate them) might be interested in trading for / exchanging for.

So basically you would "CPU-MUDmine" DeVCoins by trading stuff in the MUD for MUD-currency which you would then exchange for DeVCoins at an exchange.

In practice this would probably mean creating an asset such as "MUDgaard Archon Notes" (dMAN ?) on an Open Transactions server which could then on the server's markets be traded for dDVC, dBTC, dUKB, dCDN, etc etc etc - all the other assets that server supports.

(The main reason such an asset has not been deployed yet is FellowTraveler says all contracts, assets, nyms and even server-IDs are going to have to be re-done sometime because he now wants to incorporate checksums into such IDs instead of using raw hashes as IDs, to help catch typos humans might make when typing such IDs. So it seemed we might as well wait for those newfangled IDs to be implemented before creating any more assets otherwise we'd just be piling up more eventual work of converting to the new IDs when they do arrive.)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:33:11 PM

I would like to add the part about Devcoin's general idea as described by Hunterbunter here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233997.msg4263629#msg4263629

If ok, let me think this over and compress it into a simple paragraph.
Of course ok. Trying to keep as succinct as possible to fit into the page - others were already kind enough to seriously trim my initial spiel...but Hunterbunter's perspective was a good one.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:47:31 PM

I just add a single line '-l curl' so that it build dynamic against my system libcurl. 2 days passed and hundreds of blocks generated, so I think they were never confirmed.

Ahh I see hmm, but that would mean you have to distribute libcurl.dll with the installation Sad I also enabled -static and -DMT (multi-thread) which might be causing the issue. We probably want to statically link.

Did you statically compile the dependencies? Boost UPNP DB4.3 etc all need to be compiled with static flag when configuring. Otherwise you can get rid of -static and build dynamically and see if it works, but we probably want to release static build to avoid packaging alot of files.
Bittzy78
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1019

I do not give financial advice .. do your own DD

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 09:53:37 PM

Guys, when do you think devcoin could pop, I'm talking $0.10+.

I have been seeing many threads about what coin will pop in 2014 but nobody ever mentions dvc..

As for the price, for it to hit $0.10 people need a reason to buy them, and there is always going to be selective pressure towards more deflationary currencies over this one, because they are, after all, more deflationary - devcoins take this hit in exchange for allowing the philanthropists/advertisers a way in. Assuming maybe 50-80% of the payout is being cashed out each round, people have to be buying 100M-160M coins from the market with cash or another cryptocurrency every month. This means it needs an in-flow of cash around $10-$20M per month to support everyone selling the coins they earned @ $0.10. That doesn't sound impossible to me, especially if the seriously rich philanthropists who strongly believe in FOSS decide to back it. For it to get there, we need to give people amazing stuff that they just can't get enough of. That means great writing, great media, great software, great websites, etc, and if http://www.devtome.com and it's ilk become as popular as something like wikipedia I don't see why it won't disconnect from the value of other cryptocurrencies and take its own life - the price could very well be $1/coin in 3-10 years time.

I think that as Devtome continues to grow, it will need to find new ways to grow it's advertising revenue as well. If you look at a site like Baseball-Reference.com they allow people to purchse page sponsorships. The cost of the sponsorship is wholly based on the popularity of the page.

For example.. The page I used in the link of Chipper Jones would cost more to advertise on than the page of Ozzie Guillen. Devtome could be done in the same manor based on page popularity.

If the site gets an explosion of advertising revenue over the next year and the money is used to purchase Devcoin from the exchanges. It could result in an explosion of buying pressure for Devcoin.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/guilloz01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesch06.shtml

~2 cents~

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒█████████▀▀▀▀███████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████▀      ▀██████▀    ▀████▒░░
░░▒██████▄        ▀██▀       ████▒░░
░░▒███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Facebook | Twitter | Discord | Insane Hub
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:57:47 PM

Working on the android wallet for DVC, got my first transaction Smiley

Android wallet works in conjunction with the new devcoin client, no new devcoin client = no android wallet.

devcoinj (bitcoinj) minimum protocol version is 7000 (bitcoin 0.8.5), so older client peers wont be able to connect. This is not a fork, its just that the wallet will only work by connecting to peers once the new client is being used and the DNS nodes are updated to the new software.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/devcoin/files/devcoinj.PNG/download

I really liked the mycelium wallet, having ported it over to DVC I realized it was using a centralized API to act as "supernodes" and force the wallet to funnel through the MyCelium server's in order to get/send transactions. Since this API is working on their server acting as a bitcoin server it wouldn't work for my dvc transactions so I wasn't seeing my coins being sent to it. I asked them if they would allow us to clone their API to work for devcoin, but I still am not sure about it since it woudl be a centralized solution, although no blockchain downloading would be necessary and it is super fast.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:01:06 PM

Working on the android wallet for DVC, got my first transaction Smiley

Android wallet works in conjunction with the new devcoin client, no new devcoin client = no android wallet.

devcoinj (bitcoinj) minimum protocol version is 7000 (bitcoin 0.8.5), so older client peers wont be able to connect. This is not a fork, its just that the wallet will only work by connecting to peers once the new client is being used and the DNS nodes are updated to the new software.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/devcoin/files/devcoinj.PNG/download

Great news. I look forward to a Devcoin Android wallet and am happy to send some of your 13,200 DVC back (currently in my ancient cold stored Linux wallet).

novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2014, 10:25:25 PM

Is the dvcticker.tar.gz package meant to be Open Source? There is no copyright in the package nor in the getJSONData.php script.

Thanks for any clarification.

- Nova

Yeah I can throw a license on it. I'm not 100% clear on what DVC demands, Creative Commons? I'll PM Smeagol to get his word on it so it's done right

SMF uses a BSD variant. BSD3 if memory serves. That would probably be the way to go if destined for SMF use. If you could put together a README file it would be a help too as to what to do with it once unpacked.

Thanks in advance,

- Nova

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
Athanasios Motok

Activity: 387
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:27:44 PM

Hello devtome writers,
I have noticed this on several occasions and would like to know if this problem happens to anybody else. When a article is already published and you go to add it to your specific page and the home page to get checked on have anybody else noticed that sometimes when yo do the *[[Article]] it will show up as a link on the home page as a link and not on your specific page. This has happened to me multiple times and I will go back into the edit box and make sure everything is right but sometimes it can not work for me? Thanks AM
Sorry about bad English (in a rush right now and still practicing all my grammar!)
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 10:47:58 PM

Hello devtome writers,
I have noticed this on several occasions and would like to know if this problem happens to anybody else. When a article is already published and you go to add it to your specific page and the home page to get checked on have anybody else noticed that sometimes when yo do the *[[Article]] it will show up as a link on the home page as a link and not on your specific page. This has happened to me multiple times and I will go back into the edit box and make sure everything is right but sometimes it can not work for me? Thanks AM
Sorry about bad English (in a rush right now and still practicing all my grammar!)
It's just a syntax error - you forgot to add a colon [[:article]]
Athanasios Motok

Activity: 387
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:04:11 PM

Ok thank you.
-AM
smeagol
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 11:10:24 PM

Ok thank you.
-AM

Yep, when you don't put the colon then your page will link to wiki:user:[Article]
Pages: « 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: