Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:07:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058372 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
melodiem

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:11:17 AM

I am not a tech but I had a thought that it would be neat if I could have my devcoin wallet in a little USB device with a screen showing the balance.

It would have to be secured and have its own operating system so it's independent from whatever computer it is plugged into, but I could synch it whenever I like from anywhere. (MAYBE it could even have wireless connectivity so it could just synch whenever Im in range, then it doesnt nee to be USB? ....oh look a rabbit hole!)

I know there are Apps etc, but they require a smartphone...I prefer to keep my technologies in their own little boxes and a neat little Devcoin shaped USB purse would be kind of cool... (IMO) and a bit like having actual physical coins (it could be a really funky coin shape and it neednt be a precious metal since the item itself has no value...it could even be available in a range of colours and come with a matching watch!...oh wait, it could BE the watch!.. (Damn rabbit holes).

Is this possible? And if you take my idea, please make me one so I can write a review on Devtome for you Smiley

(hidden here is a serious question but it is Sunday morning and I feel playful!)

The hurdle that I just can NOT overcome, mostly from markm's comments in other sections, is how to give the buyer the confidence that the wallet and private key are secure. I just don't see a way to guarantee that to the buyer. If I were a scammer, I could potentially just keep all the details and cash it in at any time. Maybe it would have to be a partial key, but then that requires the user to do some work on their end and I want to keep it simple. The value of the metal itself would of course be attractive...silver or gold would have their own value built in, but I'd love to tackle the cold storage plus coin concept. It's very attractive to me in promoting a coin. It wouldn't be Casascius, of course.

That is the tough one. Is there any way to instead make a machine that would print out the parts of a physical coin? Or maybe a just a kit with a blank coin and a security strip.

Fuzzy and I discovered we wanted to do similar things with a physical coin. It seems like silver or aluminum have lower melting points, but unless the demand is there, the cost of getting the equipment and dies are extremely prohibitive. IMO, it seems like a test run with an independent professional mint would be a better use of resources.

But yes, a press and dies are possible and quite easy to come by, relatively speaking. It would need professional engraving anyway and then if they die breaks, well, then there's that repeated expense.

If a project like this could prove itself, I think Fuzzy would be a willing participant.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
silvercardbank

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 12:15:03 AM

Hi , i know all you guys are working hard to promote devcoin and i think your doing a great job .
sure devcoin is going to have a good year this year .The problem so far as i see it ...not just with devcoin , but all the cryptocurrenceys in general including bitcoin: is there is nothing much out there to spend it on.!
 speculation seems to be the only reason to get involved.
i have been thinking of ways that could make devcoin more attractive and products that everyone needs on a daily basis that could be purchased with devcoin to get a jump up on all the other currencies out there.. i am in the uk and the product i have come up with is mobile phone credit.
when you buy a ten pound  top up voucher from a conveinance store the store owner makes 40 pence no doubt the payment processing teminal also makes about 60p so you only realy get nine pounds of airtime for your your ten. there are websites that you can use to top up anyones phone not just your own just buy simply entering their number. therfore if it is possible to buy airtime direct or wholesale direct from the phone networks and sell top up vouchers accepting devcoin by cutting the middle men out it should be possible to sell ten pounds credit for nine pounds which would be very attractive . the cryptocurency comming in for this service of course could also be sold on again at a mark up to keep it turning over and at the same time get a lot of atention to devcoin by word of mouth ebay advertizing ect. i have attempted to make a  demo website using a webbuilder as i am not a techie just to show the idea. not sure if i should post it here as i dont want to tout bussiness in here and kicked off.
i would like to get involved more somehow as i think devcoin is the only cryptocurrency that has a very long term future because its not just about making the money it,s about the people behind it and getting a fair share of work put in . none of the others do this so it really is a no brainer
looking forward to your thoughts any feedback. happy new year to all jason t
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 01:57:34 AM

I think that all code must be open source for devcoin. So where can I find the source code of this site dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com (ticker and shares view) ?
Thank you but I'm talking about the Hunterbunter ticker (python code) not from php code (for SMF2 forum)  Shocked

Alright so I've decided the best way to do it is to just make github versions of the relevant files for each each (pertaining to the bounties), and copy files/commit to those directories as necessary. It's enough to at least see the logic I'm following, plus the python code to do it too.

Have fun!

https://github.com/hunterbunter
smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:18:52 AM
Last edit: January 05, 2014, 03:46:32 AM by smeagol

review for http://dvc4giftcards.us/

With some of the kindly tips I've received for the dvccountdown, I managed to have enough dvc in my pocket to purchase a $1 amazon gift card, which I was going to use to discount an amazon purchase I was planning on making. The site was well presented, and easy to purchase from, but I missed the bit where I was supposed to write a note to the seller. My brain just completely missed the text block, and I think that was because the big cards drew my focus away from it - perhaps it would be better presented another way, like a message box or something just before going to the payment window. Regarding that oversight, I assumed (hoped) the gift card would just be sent to my email address by default, and overnight I received an email from the site admin. It turns out they had seen that I was from .au, and the gift cards were only usable on the US store. I was asked whether I still wanted the card, or a refund, and took the sensible option considering I was looking at something on my local amazon. The next time I want something from the US store (which I do from time to time), and I have DVC to burn, I had a pleasant enough experience to try this site again. For larger purchases, though, I think would prefer bigger denominations than the $1 or $10 to save some time.

Thanks for the review!  Turns out the review bounty is finished, though.

@Unthinkingbit - I would be like to give 1 of my administrator bonus shares (from the 3-Business-Administrator in the bounty file) to Hunterbunter for his review, even though the bounty is over.
dalamar96

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 04:16:53 AM

review for http://dvc4giftcards.us/

With some of the kindly tips I've received for the dvccountdown, I managed to have enough dvc in my pocket to purchase a $1 amazon gift card, which I was going to use to discount an amazon purchase I was planning on making. The site was well presented, and easy to purchase from, but I missed the bit where I was supposed to write a note to the seller. My brain just completely missed the text block, and I think that was because the big cards drew my focus away from it - perhaps it would be better presented another way, like a message box or something just before going to the payment window. Regarding that oversight, I assumed (hoped) the gift card would just be sent to my email address by default, and overnight I received an email from the site admin. It turns out they had seen that I was from .au, and the gift cards were only usable on the US store. I was asked whether I still wanted the card, or a refund, and took the sensible option considering I was looking at something on my local amazon. The next time I want something from the US store (which I do from time to time), and I have DVC to burn, I had a pleasant enough experience to try this site again. For larger purchases, though, I think would prefer bigger denominations than the $1 or $10 to save some time.

Thanks for the review!  Turns out the review bounty is finished, though.

@Unthinkingbit - I would be like to give 1 of my administrator bonus shares (from the 3-Business-Administrator in the bounty file) to Hunterbunter for his review, even though the bounty is over.

Now that was nice of you, very noble. Love seeing this in a community!

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
DVC:   1ARHF6HmFL87Rw29qZi1x5TGTDzFDQxMFH
BTC:   19w38CCB8YaxmJHkNH8gMjZYjw64SkQCcM
DODG: DNzDJTJrPEsSYpDGmD2iCFUfK8iJjeqm7C
tabnk

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 04:18:47 AM

Potential !!!  Cheesy
jdlrexy

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 04:37:27 AM

Hi all,

I have been looking around for ideas to make bounties a bit more organized. A forum is good for open discussion but does not present proposed bounties in an organized fashion. I found bountysource.com. Heard of it?

I have a few ideas on how to tweek this model to make it work with devcoin, but I'd like to get peoples opinions on the feasibilty of actually making a website devoted to devcoin bounties before launch ideas. It would take serious man power to get it off the ground but might help make this opensource project even more open.

I was thinking about putting together a business plan if people show some interest.
fellowtraveler

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 08:55:46 AM

I have tried it on Fedora 17 and on Fedora 19.

Fedora might maybe have some kind of problem with the concept of a "system tray", which seems to be a mac and/or windows concept.

However, it might be the case that more grandmas use windows or mac than use various types of Linux? (Is Android a type of Linux?) so maybe that is okay?

FellowTraveler basically just says Fedora must be using a broken windowing system or something.

1. We have many users on Linux who are able to use it just fine -- it's not a problem with Linux.

2. Google this:  "system tray" broken on Fedora.

Notice all the complaints and bug reports related to this issue on Fedora. (For other apps, like Dropbox, Skype, etc.)

3. Google these:
   A. solved "system tray" fedora
   B how to fix "system tray" fedora

(You can see there are many various solutions for this as well.)

"The missing system tray icons in Fedora 19 Gnome3"
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=974937

"System Tray: You know that nice thing in the bottom right of your screen that you think even the dumbest fool couldn't break? They broke it."
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/01/23/230255/alan-cox-fedora-18-the-worst-red-hat-distro-switches-to-ubuntu

"Once installing Fedora 19 Desktop Edition, I run the systray of Qt Example. But I could not look for the system tray icon. There is no Notification area in the Activities overview."
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17460705/the-missing-system-tray-icons-on-fedora-19-desktop-edition

"I know that Gnome and Canonical have a thing for dismissing the importance of the system tray, but hiding it in such an arcane manner is just plain stupid."
http://spiralinear.org/forum/discussion/1048/gnome-3-6-review-fedora-18-approaching-maturity-but-still-has-major-issues-ahead/p1

"Hi everyone. I'm having some difficulties when i minimize a program to tray (system tray). Everytime i did it the icon that should be at the tray simply does not appear."
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/9302/minimize-to-tray/

"Gnome3 system tray not working."
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=166346

"Gnome 3 system tray area not working"
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1044335

"I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 and after sorting out some other problems, I now have this problem; No system tray for HPLIP. running Gnome, rebooted quite a few times, so this problem is new."
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=10323.0

"Most of the extensions should just work, but they don’t, because GNOME Shell extensions are broken by design. Let me count the ways:"
http://sc3d.tumblr.com/post/34163672571/gnome-3-extensions-the-madness-must-end

"I have a weird problem. Icons in tray area are just disappeared"
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1044322

"i think gnome15 is installed because my keyboard lights are red [they are always blue if its not working] but unfortunatly i can't see system tray"
http://www.russo79.com/forum/gnome-15/support-and-answers/184

"Tried all possible ways to give visibility to tray icons"
http://askubuntu.com/questions/136733/some-system-tray-icons-invisible-in-gnome-classic-12-04

--------------------------------------------------------

MarkM:

I think the problem is that Gnome may have put the systray into an extension.

We discussed this on IRC previously -- have you installed the systray extension?

I recommend you get a windowing system that works but otherwise you might try the extensions, such as:

https://extensions.gnome.org/review/1591

--------------------------------------------------------

P.S. most Linux users do not have this problem. lclc, randy, da2ce7, and others have not reported any problems, so it's not specific to Linux. And of course the problem doesn't occur on Mac or Windows either.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 12:28:28 PM

I cannot quite catch what you need.... for the current round (paying out) info, you should refer to official https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity , and for the next round (that changing from time to time), you may find the infos from http://d.evco.in/charity , and I update the script every day at  about UTC+2.  Isn't that enough?

Hey emfox!  I have been working on something similar to your site and just playing around with what I can get out of it. Maybe we can merge efforts or bounce ideas off each other or something. I am also working on a few other things I have seen mentioned on the board here.  Right now the prototype is at: http://madrabbitproductions.com/devcoin/

Chad

How to and what should I do? could you be more in details? your prototype looks pretty Smiley

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
robcop

Activity: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:13:23 PM

I really love this coin already!!!!
Help a brother get started: 1GcX26u1UE3iABUEArU5YxNbaXzMieVFar
weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 02:23:39 PM

Hi , i know all you guys are working hard to promote devcoin and i think your doing a great job .
sure devcoin is going to have a good year this year .The problem so far as i see it ...not just with devcoin , but all the cryptocurrenceys in general including bitcoin: is there is nothing much out there to spend it on.!
 speculation seems to be the only reason to get involved.
i have been thinking of ways that could make devcoin more attractive and products that everyone needs on a daily basis that could be purchased with devcoin to get a jump up on all the other currencies out there.. i am in the uk and the product i have come up with is mobile phone credit.
when you buy a ten pound  top up voucher from a conveinance store the store owner makes 40 pence no doubt the payment processing teminal also makes about 60p so you only realy get nine pounds of airtime for your your ten. there are websites that you can use to top up anyones phone not just your own just buy simply entering their number. therfore if it is possible to buy airtime direct or wholesale direct from the phone networks and sell top up vouchers accepting devcoin by cutting the middle men out it should be possible to sell ten pounds credit for nine pounds which would be very attractive . the cryptocurency comming in for this service of course could also be sold on again at a mark up to keep it turning over and at the same time get a lot of atention to devcoin by word of mouth ebay advertizing ect. i have attempted to make a  demo website using a webbuilder as i am not a techie just to show the idea. not sure if i should post it here as i dont want to tout bussiness in here and kicked off.
i would like to get involved more somehow as i think devcoin is the only cryptocurrency that has a very long term future because its not just about making the money it,s about the people behind it and getting a fair share of work put in . none of the others do this so it really is a no brainer
looking forward to your thoughts any feedback. happy new year to all jason t
Hi. Don't know how that's done with mobile credit and accounts but it's a good idea, particularly for the younger demographic and particularly if there's some price or transaction advantage. I don't see any harm in showing a demo of a devcoin businees here Smiley - instead your biggest risk is if it's a good idea it might be copied and implemented before you're done, alternatively maybe someone with the skillset could help? I'm also in the UK and completely selfishly a local version of the giftcard enterprise would get regular business from me.

robcop: http://faucet.d.evco.in/
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 02:48:12 PM

Hi all,

I have been looking around for ideas to make bounties a bit more organized. A forum is good for open discussion but does not present proposed bounties in an organized fashion. I found bountysource.com. Heard of it?

I have a few ideas on how to tweek this model to make it work with devcoin, but I'd like to get peoples opinions on the feasibilty of actually making a website devoted to devcoin bounties before launch ideas. It would take serious man power to get it off the ground but might help make this opensource project even more open.

I was thinking about putting together a business plan if people show some interest.

I have something in the works for this at the moment. Just thought I would let you know Smiley

Earn Devcoins by Writing | The Young Mage | DevCoin / DevTome Info Prototype Website
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 02:54:08 PM

I recommend you get a windowing system that works but otherwise you might try the extensions, such as:

https://extensions.gnome.org/review/1591

Ha, this desktop is running Fedora 17, with Gnome 3, albeit in the tuned down mode that makes it try to look more like Gnome 2.

When I visit that page it tells me right at the top of the page

"We cannot detect a running copy of GNOME on this system, so some parts of the interface may be disabled. See our troubleshooting entry for more information."

In theory I can run some other windowing manager such as KDE, which I might actually find I like better since I have never liked Gnome 3.

But in practice I have been trying to get all my machines as raw out of the box standard as possible, so as to minimise the amount of setup needed each time I set up a new box and so the live boot disks work just like the ones that have the O/S installed to hard disk.

It is quite annoying that they insist on coming out of the box broken by design.

I would almost be tempted to figure I should move to Ubuntu since that seems to be the new standard "everyone" is using, but I hear that now comes totally infested with spyware by design so that is right out.

So far none of the extensions packages mentioned seem to exist for Fedora, maybe they just bundle them differently into differently named packages I am not sure yet. I need to get my country house re-wired and get out there, then I will have space and electricity to screw around with trying to find a usable setup to switch all my machines over to.

What is going on with the checksums thing that is going to break all existing assets, server-IDs, nyms, accounts and so on? I do not think setting Grandma up for having to do a big migration of all her nyms and accounts and so on is a good idea, if that stuff has to go in it should probably go right into Grandma's client from the start else we are just setting her up for a huge amount of work she will end up having to do to upgrade to the next version at some point, work that probably isn't really the kind of stuff we should expect Grandmas to do...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 03:34:33 PM

I cannot quite catch what you need.... for the current round (paying out) info, you should refer to official https://github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity , and for the next round (that changing from time to time), you may find the infos from http://d.evco.in/charity , and I update the script every day at  about UTC+2.  Isn't that enough?

Hey emfox!  I have been working on something similar to your site and just playing around with what I can get out of it. Maybe we can merge efforts or bounce ideas off each other or something. I am also working on a few other things I have seen mentioned on the board here.  Right now the prototype is at: http://madrabbitproductions.com/devcoin/

Chad

How to and what should I do? could you be more in details? your prototype looks pretty Smiley

I have no clue Smiley Any ideas on other things we can put up there?  I was going to set it up so that when logged in it will allow you to see a graph of your shares from round 22 on. Other then that right now I am working on a bounty organizer page. I just didn't want to take away from your page, just figured since I had made this one as well we could share ideas or what not. Smiley

paul3

Activity: 99
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 03:52:52 PM

I have no clue Smiley Any ideas on other things we can put up there?

Looks nice. Maybe you can add thousands separators to make bigger numbers better readable, for example here:

DVC / BTC   1,149,425.28735632
Est. DVC Per Share   205,479
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 04:15:54 PM

I have no clue Smiley Any ideas on other things we can put up there?

Looks nice. Maybe you can add thousands separators to make bigger numbers better readable, for example here:

DVC / BTC   1,149,425.28735632
Est. DVC Per Share   205,479

done Smiley Thanx Smiley

jdlrexy

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 04:18:55 PM

Hi all,

I have something in the works for this at the moment. Just thought I would let you know Smiley

That's great. Do you mean that you have a plan in the works that you are writing or actually already putting together the site?
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 04:23:21 PM

Hi all,

That's great. Do you mean that you have a plan in the works that you are writing or actually already putting together the site?

Well, I have started coding, though it isn't going to be as intricate as the "bountysource.com" site. I am mostly putting it together so the bounty admins have a place to track it  and everyone can propose and vote on proposed bounties. Since the admin have to approve a bounty and they have to do things on the back end once a bounty is completed.  I am sure it is going to go through a bunch of iterations, but still I don't foresee it being anything like Bountysource.com since it doesn't quite work that way with devcoin bounties.  I may have a first rev up today, not sure yet Smiley  Will be at http://madrabbitproductions.com/devcoin/

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2014, 07:04:39 PM

Hi all,

That's an interesting site, didn't know anything about it. My longer-term business plan involved something like that (http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=development_exchange) but actually directed at the opposite non-core devcoin bounties and work, although I agree a more structured way to organise bounties would be helpful.

Another couple of things I've come across that were also interesting re. Devcoin angle:
http://ejohn.org/blog/gittip-at-khan-academy/
payswarm (cached - seems to have been subsumed in past week by web-payments.org which looks more about bigger picture Open Transactions perspective, although not sure how 'open').
dalamar96

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2014, 07:12:03 PM

That's an interesting site, didn't know anything about it. My longer-term business plan involved something like that (http://devtome.com/doku.php?id=development_exchange) but actually directed at the opposite non-core devcoin bounties and work, although I agree a more structured way to organise bounties would be helpful.

Another couple of things I've come across that were also interesting re. Devcoin angle:
http://ejohn.org/blog/gittip-at-khan-academy/
payswarm (cached - seems to have been subsumed in past week by web-payments.org which looks more about bigger picture Open Transactions perspective, although not sure how 'open').

Nice, I am by no means capable of pulling something like that off on my own, but it is interesting!  I am going to keep moving forward with my vision of the bounty tracker for DevCoin as I see it, but I could see possibly integrating it with the exchange you mentioned as well. I will follow any developments you may have in that area! Great write-up too by the way!

Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: