Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:08:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... 442 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC]DevCoin - Official Thread - Moderated  (Read 1058398 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:34:02 PM

I would love to test the Android client, but I need a link to the app then.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unthinkingbit

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:47:48 PM

I wasn't sure what the present situation was with your forum. I've seen devcointalk. That's why I released the mod. It would have been easier just to write the ticker code but I didn't consider that complete if no one knew what to do with it. The packages made that easier.

If you need me to run a forum I can do that. I had planned on doing the forum bounties as modules though, so you aren't tied to me as the admin. Anyone can install a module.

I am willing to admin and I am willing to code. I can do one or both. I have no problem reviewing others code, working with others, etc. I've done tech for a while now and the one thing that has been consistent is flexibility.

Would this make me an official devcoin/devtome admin in some way?

You're now forum admin. I'll ask the holder of the coinzen.org domain to send it to you. As people join, please delegate everything you can. Eeh and Novacadian have done work on the email, so please work on the other parts and incorporate their email work. Make a section for devcoin, and also for a few other coins like bitcoin, litecoin, bbqcoin and peercoin, eventually at least the top fifty coins will have their section, but you only need a few coins to start. It'll be a while before people interested in other coins join, but the sections should be made first to welcome them.

smeagol
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:04:08 PM

I would love to test the Android client, but I need a link to the app then.

Yep, just the apk file would be fine by me.
eeh

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:08:59 PM

Just curious...

Is there any interest in a physical Devcoin?

I had considered this before but don't want to get stuck with an enormous inventory.

Once concept that is attractive to me: Two pieces, screw together, with cold storage inside in the amount of 10K. Comes in a transparent coin case with a protective security tape on the case.

Not committing to it yet, just gauging interest.
Papacrusher

Activity: 218
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:11:27 PM

Just curious...

I had considered this before but don't want to get stuck with an enormous inventory.

Once concept that is attractive to me: Two pieces, screw together, with cold storage inside in the amount of 10K. Comes in a transparent coin case with a protective security tape on the case.

That is a very interesting concept, would love to see a mock up.  I would definitely be interested.

Papa

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:13:31 PM

Here is the Devcoin video.  I finally got it on youtube, link is below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It86dUFb_H4&feature=youtu.be

Nice video. My comment is the reference to a decreasing amount of coins created in the future. This is the case with Bitcoin, but not with Devcoin. It will always be 180 million new coins per round.

eeh

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:18:30 PM

That is a very interesting concept, would love to see a mock up.  I would definitely be interested.

Part of the expense is design. I would have to ask the engraver to submit drafts and then submit them to the Devcoin community for comment.

I checked with 3M and a few others for security, but my initial quantity is so low, that I would have to settle with the coin cover with a security strip.

The hurdle that I just can NOT overcome, mostly from markm's comments in other sections, is how to give the buyer the confidence that the wallet and private key are secure. I just don't see a way to guarantee that to the buyer. If I were a scammer, I could potentially just keep all the details and cash it in at any time. Maybe it would have to be a partial key, but then that requires the user to do some work on their end and I want to keep it simple. The value of the metal itself would of course be attractive...silver or gold would have their own value built in, but I'd love to tackle the cold storage plus coin concept. It's very attractive to me in promoting a coin. It wouldn't be Casascius, of course.
Bittzy78
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1019

I do not give financial advice .. do your own DD

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 09:27:03 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 09:37:19 PM by Bittzy78

That is a very interesting concept, would love to see a mock up.  I would definitely be interested.

Part of the expense is design. I would have to ask the engraver to submit drafts and then submit them to the Devcoin community for comment.

I checked with 3M and a few others for security, but my initial quantity is so low, that I would have to settle with the coin cover with a security strip.

The hurdle that I just can NOT overcome, mostly from markm's comments in other sections, is how to give the buyer the confidence that the wallet and private key are secure. I just don't see a way to guarantee that to the buyer. If I were a scammer, I could potentially just keep all the details and cash it in at any time. Maybe it would have to be a partial key, but then that requires the user to do some work on their end and I want to keep it simple. The value of the metal itself would of course be attractive...silver or gold would have their own value built in, but I'd love to tackle the cold storage plus coin concept. It's very attractive to me in promoting a coin. It wouldn't be Casascius, of course.

If the coins were sold from the Devcoin.org site or something similar like MintedDevcoins.com it could help to oliviate the fears people might have about being scammed.

I think it is a pretty cool idea.

As a side note...

It might be a good idea to not use a precious metal in the manufacture of the coins. Some governments might object to anyone minting a coin and then having others trying to treat it as currency. If the coins was made out of a non-precious metal such as aluminum, I think it would be considered more of a novelty item.  

If the coin was viewed as more of a novelty item one could sell them on ebay with a title that goes something like "10000 Devcoin - With Free Novelty Aluminum Devcoin."

░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒████████████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒█████████▀▀▀▀███████████████████▒░░
░░▒██████▀      ▀██████▀    ▀████▒░░
░░▒██████▄        ▀██▀       ████▒░░
░░▒███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▒░░
░░▒██████████████████████████▒░░
░░▒▒██████████████████████▒▒░░
░░▒▒▒████████████████▒▒▒░░
░░░▒▒▒▒▒██████▒▒▒▒▒░░░
░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░

▄                   ▄   ▄                                                        ▄
        ▀ ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄     ▄  ▄████████▄ ▄   ▄█      ▄         ▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄   ██████     ▄▄██████   ████████████████   ▀▀  ██████████▀▀    ██████     ▄ ██████  ████████████████▄▄
  ██████   ███████    ▀ ██████  ██████████████████     ████████████     ███████    ▀▀██████  ████████████████▀▀
  ██████   ████████     ██████  ██████▀    ▀██████    ██████████████    ████████     ██████ ▄██████
  ██████ ▄██████████    ██████  ███████▄▄             ██████  ██████    █████████    ██████ ▀██████
▄ ██████   ██████████   ██████   ███████████▄▄       ██████    ██████   ██████████   ██████  ██████████████
▀ ██████   ███████████  ██████  ▄ ▀█████████████▄    ██████    ██████   ███████████  ██████  ██████████████  ██
  ██████   ██████ █████ ██████  ▀    ▀▀███████████  ██████      ██████  ██████ █████ ██████  ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀▀
  ██████ ▄ ██████  ███████████            ▀▀███████ ██████████████████  ██████  ███████████  ██████
▄ ██████ ▀ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄     ▄██████████████████████████ ██████   ██████████  ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀ ██████   ██████    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██████    ████████████████████████████
  ██████   ██████     ████████▀█▀███████████████████████          ████████████     ████████▀▀█████████████████
  ██████   ██████      ███████    ▀▀███████████▀▀ ██████    ▄▄    ████████████      ███████
           ██████     ▄ ██████           ▄▄                 ▀▀          ██████     ▄ ██████▄▄

GET IN TOUCH              
.▬▬Announcement▬▬.
Facebook | Twitter | Discord | Insane Hub
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 09:51:14 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 10:14:01 PM by markm

I think various methods were worked out whereby people could somehow double-blindedly create a coin. None of the people would have the whole private key, or something like that. Such things were much discussed over the years.

For more info. use search function of the forum...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
eeh

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 09:55:45 PM

I think various methods were worked out whereby people could somehow double-blindedly create a coin. None of the people would have the whole private key, or something like that. Such thigns were much discussed over the years.

-MarkM-

Due to the nature of your posts, I have a great deal of respect for your comments.

I'm not asking for a treatise, but could you expand on that comment a little?
cyke64

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 10:52:02 PM

I can get it to just compare lowercase-lowercase, that'll solve that problem, but it entirely depends on whether different people will be using the same names with different capitalizations in the future. If it's safe to assume not, this is easily fixable.

People must use different names. Please change it to compare lowercase-lowercase.

If you just put the round number in without a name, it'll come up with all the shares for that block - missing the bitcoin and devcoin share lists, because they were labelled differently to the others and I'm too tired now to figure out how to include them (Unthinkingbit - any chance you can put a 1-BitcoinShareList or something for the share list peeps in the account files?

Done, Emfox's script should grab the updated version of account.py in a day.

On top of the Smeagol's suggestion:

May I propose a 9 share award for Hunterbunter's site?

I suggest an additional 9 share payment for fixing the lowercase uppercase problem and for other improvements, any objections?

I think that all code must be open source for devcoin. So where can I find the source code of this site dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com (ticker and shares view) ?
cyke64

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:00:20 PM

Working on the android wallet for DVC, got my first transaction Smiley

Android wallet works in conjunction with the new devcoin client, no new devcoin client = no android wallet.

devcoinj (bitcoinj) minimum protocol version is 7000 (bitcoin 0.8.5), so older client peers wont be able to connect. This is not a fork, its just that the wallet will only work by connecting to peers once the new client is being used and the DNS nodes are updated to the new software.

Are you talking about your Qt client on github in c or a new client in java ? Could you put the devcoin android wallet file installation (apk file) on sourceforge ?
novacadian

Activity: 232
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2014, 11:18:10 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2014, 11:52:06 PM by novacadian

I think that all code must be open source for devcoin. So where can I find the source code of this site dvccountdown.blisteringdevelopers.com (ticker and shares view) ?

The author is working on putting a BSD3 license into the package. Yet if you are biting at the bit for a copy one has been placed temporarily at http://trollkeep.com/dvcticker.tar.gz for your downloading pleasure.

- Nova

[Edit: The forum code can be had at http://www.simplemachines.org/ ]

DVC Address : 1EfsiVUECqmR5Qx7C4PkmwadDXYuSGzssL
Athanasios Motok

Activity: 387

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:18:40 PM

Just curious...

Papa
I saw this idea for real bitcoins! https://www.casascius.com/ I really like the idea. But the physical bitcoin gives access to an account with actual bitcoins inside. I would definitely use this for devcoin though as it reduces the fees from trading on exchanges.
-AM
emfox

Activity: 276
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:21:55 PM

I wasn't sure what the present situation was with your forum. I've seen devcointalk. That's why I released the mod. It would have been easier just to write the ticker code but I didn't consider that complete if no one knew what to do with it. The packages made that easier.

If you need me to run a forum I can do that. I had planned on doing the forum bounties as modules though, so you aren't tied to me as the admin. Anyone can install a module.

I am willing to admin and I am willing to code. I can do one or both. I have no problem reviewing others code, working with others, etc. I've done tech for a while now and the one thing that has been consistent is flexibility.

Would this make me an official devcoin/devtome admin in some way?

You're now forum admin. I'll ask the holder of the coinzen.org domain to send it to you. As people join, please delegate everything you can. Eeh and Novacadian have done work on the email, so please work on the other parts and incorporate their email work. Make a section for devcoin, and also for a few other coins like bitcoin, litecoin, bbqcoin and peercoin, eventually at least the top fifty coins will have their section, but you only need a few coins to start. It'll be a while before people interested in other coins join, but the sections should be made first to welcome them.

Does it mean we will soon have official forum?

Earn Devcoins by Writing
BTC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut DVC: 1Emfox1WswYcd2YucUskRzqfRWKkcm1Jut
IXC: xnRKo3qSDdcPJ4pgTLER3orkquUVQXeLwf
melodiem

Activity: 232

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:35:40 PM

Yeah was hoping you wouldn't ask that Smiley

I think it's referring to features that can be enabled on the client, referring to the state of a particular variable - in this case addresses. Devcoin (and other) wallets or clients can be started and run via the command line, which provides greater flexibility in changing the settings, or a 'flag' added to the program shortcut.

But how to do that here, honestly I have no idea, so I'm hoping someone can dig me out of this hole and answer that for you. I will say that you shouldn't need to change it, as they're effectively 'in the background' - you can use settings to highlight particular send/receiving addresses.

Thanks Weisoq, At least I know it is all working how it should be, I dont think I'll bother following up on the flag thing for now, but if I ever work it out Ill let you know Smiley

cyke64

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:45:56 PM

The author is working on putting a BSD3 license into the package. Yet if you are biting at the bit for a copy one has been placed temporarily at http://trollkeep.com/dvcticker.tar.gz for your downloading pleasure.

- Nova

[Edit: The forum code can be had at http://www.simplemachines.org/ ]

Thank you but I'm talking about the Hunterbunter ticker (python code) not from php code (for SMF2 forum)  Shocked
Unthinkingbit

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 11:58:24 PM

Does it mean we will soon have official forum?

That's the intention. I think it will take at least a few weeks to create and test the new code modules, plus make the forum sections and add a template.

Unthinkingbit

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:10:13 AM

That is the tough one. Is there any way to instead make a machine that would print out the parts of a physical coin? Or maybe a just a kit with a blank coin and a security strip.

eeh

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 12:15:09 AM

That is the tough one. Is there any way to instead make a machine that would print out the parts of a physical coin? Or maybe a just a kit with a blank coin and a security strip.

Fuzzy and I discovered we wanted to do similar things with a physical coin. It seems like silver or aluminum have lower melting points, but unless the demand is there, the cost of getting the equipment and dies are extremely prohibitive. IMO, it seems like a test run with an independent professional mint would be a better use of resources.

But yes, a press and dies are possible and quite easy to come by, relatively speaking. It would need professional engraving anyway and then if they die breaks, well, then there's that repeated expense.

If a project like this could prove itself, I think Fuzzy would be a willing participant.
Pages: « 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... 442 »
  Print  

Jump to: